• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Lol, my gawd. You are so defensive it's hilarious. I ask a simple question, curious on where this was said, no intent on arguing, debating, or finding holes, and you automatically spout off at the mouth.
"What kind of proof will convince you, if the word of Nikki's pal, who participated in the "experiments", is not enough for you?"
I answered, ACTUAL PROOF. I was not doubting it was said, but if you're going to say something as substantial as "you can't do this with NPCs only potentially playable characters" you need to be able to back it up as that is a huge bit of information.

We are the ones you are supposed to be convincing, which you are not doing with your belly up tactics.
You're not on trial, you're being asked to support your claims. There's a VERY clear difference in the two.
Making up things, much?

Anyway, i was asking because you didn't seem to believe the words of the programmers, that we more or less recited.
So I was simply wondering, what could make you believe their words, if even possible?
I was expecting, asking for videos or program-code or something like that, since words didn't seem to do it for you.
From my viewpoint at least.

Anyway, I am perfectly calm and collected.
And let's stop getting personal.
Otherwise this will go down the toilet. And I am not interested in a personal flame war.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Wrong.
I never said, Octolings will come for sure.
True, I would like them to be playable. But we've got nothing decisive yet, I myself admitted that earlier.
At the same time though, clear update-work has been done.
And I do have a problem, when people pretend this never happened or even outright discredit that with faulty reasoning.

My goal was to correct the wrongs. Nothing more.
Yeah,I thought about it before I read your post, and I realized I was acting on a hunch about your behaviours. I can't stop you from getting passionate, especially if you're making good points.

EDIT: I would have gotten this out sooner if my internet hadn't gone slow just as I decided to post it last night

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ay díos mío, this spun out of control fast.

Honestly, that Octokraken model had me convinced that it was half hoax and half wishful thinking on the hackers' part. In a game with so much polish, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is just me, but in my mind that's not how it would move, either. I'd picture it roaming around the way real octopodes do, not ripped off the squid form. But then again, that's what the regular octopus form does in-game, so I guess it's illogical to assume otherwise.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Ay díos mío, this spun out of control fast.

Honestly, that Octokraken model had me convinced that it was half hoax and half wishful thinking on the hackers' part. In a game with so much polish, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is just me, but in my mind that's not how it would move, either. I'd picture it roaming around the way real octopodes do, not ripped off the squid form. But then again, that's what the regular octopus form does in-game, so I guess it's illogical to assume otherwise.
It is possible that Nintendo is keeping the correct data on their side, but this of course is just assumption and wishful thinking. I really wish they would say something already :P

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I must say, that's kind of a vague answer. Plus, with this tweet from a few days ago in mind, it seems like less a confirmation and more, "Well, that's my take on this."

Now this is just my cynicism talking, but if she gave that code to someone who could read/translate it, I get the feeling they'd still keep it under wraps.

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
nikki.png

Now I for one am pretty hopeful for octolings, but Nikki certainly has more information that she isn't showing us if these tweets mean anything. If she were to leak a spoiler as big as playable octolings being confirmed--models being adjusted for headgear and shirts and everything--without a doubt, Nintendo would be furious.

I simply wonder what it is that's being kept under wraps. She says she likes to keep some surprises, so whatever the surprise is should be pretty big if she's leaked so much already.

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
Honestly I'm neutral on the whole Octoling thing. I'd love to have them, but I won't loose sleep if they don't get in.
I'd be more confused if they didn't make it in. We've all seen that the models have had some changes with new versions of the game, and the fact that they have fully functional eyes for seemingly no reason is strange. The only logical conclusion (if they don't get in) is that the idea of playable Octolings were scrapped for one reason or another.

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
Honestly I'm neutral on the whole Octoling thing. I'd love to have them, but I won't loose sleep if they don't get in.
I'd be more confused if they didn't make it in. We've all seen that the models have had some changes with new versions of the game, and the fact that they have fully functional eyes for seemingly no reason is strange. The only logical conclusion (if they don't get in) is that the idea of playable Octolings were scrapped for one reason or another.
Understandable. I just like having another player option, and the octolings are very clearly able to function like inklings as seen in single player and through NWPlayer123's hacks.

If they don't get in, I'd be both disappointed and confused. The models have been updated, they work except for minor issues with clipping models, and there had been an octoling takeover on Splatnet, right? Or just an octarian motif going on? Not to mention the mass amount of octo fans out there.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think, as with a lot of things about Splatoon, the Octolings' popularity was unexpected. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't plan on making them playable in the beginning.

Anyway, the way that this seems to be going, I get the feeling that, Octolings (or lack of) aside, there's something else she's uncovered. I'm a little more curious about whatever that might be (if at all).

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
They're seriously that worked up over one person? She's not the only person who can do this if they want. With the new Wii U emulator, more and more people will be able to data mine.
Supposedly Nintendo boasted to their shareholders they were unhackable, and even though the hacking scene is relatively large, Nikki just happened to be the one who made a big deal about it and so they concentrated their efforts on her.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

She definitely knows something. Playable Octolings or something completely different, who knows. Only time will tell. -sigh-

Though if she doesn't want to say anything about it for now, that's her choice. Don't bug her about it.
Nikki ya killin' me D: I don't like waiting for surprises
But then again, the news is up for NIntendo to announce.

Last edited:

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Supposedly Nintendo boasted to their shareholders they were unhackable, and even though the hacking scene is relatively large, Nikki just happened to be the one who made a big deal about it and so they concentrated their efforts on her.
Unhackable? Using your own coding language might seriously slow a hacker down, but that seems more than a little superlative.

Also, I'm not at all surprised Nikki got banned. Even without digging into legal jargon on terms of service contracts on games and hardware, I'm pretty damn sure that cracking games and revealing content before the group that actually owns said games breaks the contract, somewhere.

I feel like her carrot on a stick style teasing as of recent may have been what put Ninty over the edge. I give Nikki props for having respect toward Nintendo by withholding the mystery information, but mreh. It's just sitting back and waiting now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom