• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
And without being playable, the post is pointless. Nothing from Squid Research Lab is pointless! What's going on?
They released concept art showing what an Octoling's eyes look like. It asks what's different. This Octoling doesn't have goggles on. That's the difference, and probably the point. It's just concept art.

So, when are we going to start Octoling hype for the sequel?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Well, why even show it al? Why not just keep it in the Splatoon art book that I really want?
For the same reason they showed off that blow dryer-esque weapon in that same book. Just for the sake of it.
There are 5 days left in January, if they have anything to drop other than the amiibo, they'd have done it by now I'm sure.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Welp, I'm considering three things:
1) At least one new amiibo, and some new gear, seems likely due to code from 2.4 and the appearance of box art for a new arcade game in Ancho-V, meaning it's reasonable to expect one last update
2) The Research Lab called Ancho-V the last map rather than the last content. Smash made sure to tell us that the February DLC will be the last new content for the game, so why not do the same with Splatoon?
3) Nintendo knows they have to end this with a bang. They won't just be like "Hey, remember that map you got last week? That was the last content lol bye"

So I'd say there's still a possibility. I still haven't heard a good explanation for why the Octoling models were updated so much (Why update them at all if they're just used for Single Player anyway?), and I can't see the time, money, and work that went into updating them (as much or little as that may have been) going to waste. I suppose there's no way to know until the month is truly over ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

SpaceCanary

Full Squid
NNID
SpaceCanary
2) The Research Lab called Ancho-V the last map rather than the last content. Smash made sure to tell us that the February DLC will be the last new content for the game, so why not do the same with Splatoon?
I was just thinking the same thing: If you notice the last hashtag at the end of the Ancho-V announcement post, it reads "#justkiddingwe'llstillposthere". What else besides Splatfests would they have to post? Plus, why just use it as a Splatfest announcement site? So I think on Friday they will go out with a huge, August-style update, since they usually update on Fridays and it's the last Friday in January.

As for amiibo, I'm a bit more skeptical, because they've announced amiibo past March and ended the new weapons. However, it is possible that they could code more functionality into the last update and announce new ones to accompany Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta.
They released concept art showing what an Octoling's eyes look like. It asks what's different. This Octoling doesn't have goggles on. That's the difference, and probably the point. It's just concept art.
It could be possible that this was the original Octoling model, but they added goggles to round out a set of gear to wear. But in that case, why make the post so cryptic?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
It could be possible that this was the original Octoling model, but they added goggles to round out a set of gear to wear. But in that case, why make the post so cryptic?
Well, I wouldn't say it's "cryptic". It's just your typical, "huh, this looks different doesn't it?" post. It's meant to make you recognize that she didn't have her mask. I think you're looking too deep into that post.

Granted, that's all this thread is. . .

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose

Ermahgerd Amerbo Cernfermed?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't doubt it if they came out looking like that.
This bang everyone is talking about could possibly just be the concert. No telling. They very well could have something huge planned too, that they purposely have left out of the code because of the rise in data miners. Who knows.
Guess we'll find out this weekend eh?

Last edited:

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I have a feeling this is what happened. The game launches, Octolings become unexpectedly popular. Splatoon devs decide to work on a playable Octoling. They come across some sort of issue or things aren't working out as planned so they decide to scrap the whole thing.
Game devs don't just update models or add in code to games for the heck of it, they definitely had something planned at some point.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Game devs don't just update models or add in code to games for the heck of it, they definitely had something planned at some point.
Sometimes they do. Look at the article about Mew I linked to.

The only thing they updated AFAIK were the eye textures, which the original's didn't have. I can see one of the model guys wanting to add complete eyes to the Octolings just to finish the models out. Since the concept art guys already worked out how they would look, someone would just have to spend a day (two at most) in Photoshop making the textures.

I bet they'll seriously consider Octolings for playable in the sequel at the minimum.
Oh there's no doubt. The demand is clearly there. I'm interested to see how they change their design and whether or not they incorporate Octarian-themed vehicles since Octos appear to be the most tech-savvy bunch. Maybe Octolings will have their own specials? Something like a remote-guided bomb or piloting a scaled down version of a Great Octoweapon instead of a Kraken special would be awesome.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol. . . Well. . . Looks like the amiibo that are being teased are. . .

Drum roll please. . .

AmiiboIdolA and B are in the code. . .

Last edited:

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Oh, okay. Who else would be Amiibo(besides Octoling)besides Callie and Marie?

Then I just came up with the idea of a DJ Octavio amiibo, where upon finishing you unlock Octolings.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Oh, okay. Who else would be Amiibo(besides Octoling)besides Callie and Marie?

Then I just came up with the idea of a DJ Octavio amiibo, where upon finishing you unlock Octolings.
Well, the pictures displayed something that could be perceived as "idols" from another game. I mean, it'd make sense for them to be called AmiiboC and M or something. It's just vague, I'm sure they're Callie and Marie, but it's so vague that it's believable it'd be Amiibo from Hatsune Miku with how common those games are getting right now. It's possible, I mean, hell, they got Squid Girl in it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom