• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Lol, irony at its best.

Not even entertaining this anymore.

Keep your chin level with the floor dude.
Pulling evasive stunts like these won't help your case at all.
If you really want people to believe you, you don't do things like these.
It will just further make you look like the jerk you don't want to be.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Pulling evasive stunts like these won't help your case at all.
If you really want people to believe you, you don't do things like these.
It will just further make you look like the jerk you don't want to be.
Lol, I'm evading it because, 1. you are making **** up, 2. no matter what I say you're set in your ways, and 3. you're annoying and arrogant as ****.
I acknowledged your "evidence" (quite a few times might I add) and gave reasoning behind why it doesn't mean it will necessarily happen, then you brought up the same evidence as if that was meant to make a point. You're playing the faith card, and that's fine, but don't use it as ammo in a debate where logic is being applied.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Lol, I'm evading it because, 1. you are making **** up, 2. no matter what I say you're set in your ways, and 3. you're annoying and arrogant as ****.
I acknowledged your "evidence" (quite a few times might I add) and gave reasoning behind why it doesn't mean it will necessarily happen, then you brought up the same evidence as if that was meant to make a point. You're playing the faith card, and that's fine, but don't use it as ammo in a debate where logic is being applied.
My questions were genuine you know?
I am really inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain yourself.

But instead you don't adress it and antagonize me.
And it's not the first time you do that, ya know?
Given these conditions, what am I supposed to think?

Only thing I wanted you to see, is how your actions made you look like in others eyes.
If that is not true, then ok.
But why being so evasive and hostile then, when being asked directly?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You're right, I couldn't possibly care less.

It's hard to rest something that you never had in the first place, but I digress.
Enjoy building yourself up.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Let's approach this from a different angle then:
We have had several things pointing toward playable Octolings.

Multiplayer Models for Octolings and stuff.
Could be scrapped. Ok.

But that begs the question: Why would Nintendo update this then?
What would be the point in updating scrapped content?

While the latest updates didn't hold anything conclusive admittedly, it can easily be assumed that Nintendo wanted to prevent another "Ryu/Roy leak".
Then there is the Player ID for Octoling thing.
Which was not a Player Mod, like someone here suggested, but actually already in the unaltered game's code.
Pinko already confirmed this.. (And instead of adressing it, the person in question just didn't reply. Good work...)

So yeah, and let's not forget the hints given by Nintendo. (Tumblr and Splatnet).

Again, we don't have something that 100% confirms them. Nobody ever said that.
But at the same time, we still have evidence that strongly speaks for their inclusion.
It just wouldn't make sense to scrap it now, after all the updates they received.
It would render all the update-work a complete waste of time.

So it's no made-up BS like someone here said.

And frankly, you people seem to be very passionate about going against the pro-Octo posts.
One could think, you love discrediting people and saying they are wrong.

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
Let's approach this from a different angle then:
We have had several things pointing toward playable Octolings.

Multiplayer Models for Octolings and stuff.
Could be scrapped. Ok.

But that begs the question: Why would Nintendo update this then?
What would be the point in updating scrapped content?

While the latest updates didn't hold anything conclusive admittedly, it can easily be assumed that Nintendo wanted to prevent another "Ryu/Roy leak".
Then there is the Player ID for Octoling thing.
Which was not a Player Mod, like someone here suggested, but actually already in the unaltered game's code.
Pinko already confirmed this.. (And instead of adressing it, the person in question just didn't reply. Good work...)

So yeah, and let's not forget the hints given by Nintendo. (Tumblr and Splatnet).

Again, we don't have something that 100% confirms them. Nobody ever said that.
But at the same time, we still have evidence that strongly speaks for their inclusion.
It just wouldn't make sense to scrap it now, after all the updates they received.
It would render all the update-work a complete waste of time.

So it's no made-up BS like someone here said.

And frankly, you people seem to be very passionate about going against the pro-Octo posts.
One could think, you love discrediting people and saying they are wrong.
The player ID for the octolings was a shortcut for their functions in single player mode. This has been said repeatedly on Drlilrobot's twitter, which Nikki now also seems to believe. I am no coder or game designer, but it may have bugged the creators as well to have the octolings stuck with such crap models. Any artist would like to complete their work.

Not all of the update work has been on the octolings, in fact, most updates have been on the servers, weapon matchups, stages, and of course adding gear and the like. If they were intended to become playable, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to suddenly scrap it all. I wouldn't put it past any gaming company, really. If they can't come up with a reason for the inclusion, for continuity's sake they'd cut it out.

Do they function like inklings when in multiplayer mode? Yes. Does this mean it's solid evidence that it will happen? No. They are an offshoot of the inkling girl model--it's not hard to see that they have the same exact movements and faces, given they have slight alterations and difference in species.

I am not anti-octo, nor am I entirely pro-octo either. I'm neutral on this stance, thinking logically instead of being blinded by fan rage. I would love more than anything to play as an octoling-- I would PAY for the DLC, but there's just no clear indication that it's happening. There are codes that seem like indicators such as the player ID, but that simply doesn't make it positively certain that we'll get them before a sequel hits.

.........And don't forget, Nintendo is the biggest tease ever with their updates, vague news, and tweaks to their sites--they could just be hyping people up for nothing again. They've done it before.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
The indication is there indeed.
Nobody said it's 100% confirmed.
But it is equally wrong to say all of this is just made-up or dummied out.

The Multiplayer-Octos have been in ever since one of the first updates, I am not mistaken.
And they have been updated over a large portion of time.
It's a good question to ask: Why work hasn'T been done sooner and why they haven't been release already, if they were indeed meant to be playable.
And it is one I can't answer.

I just find it odd, why Nintendo would update over such a long time and then just decide to scrap it.

As for the Player ID thing, I don't think you are right on that.
And I can't recall Nikki ever saying something like this.
I don't think this Octoling-ID has been around from the beginning. At least it is what I recall.
It was included with one of the updates.
The question remains: Why including it, if it is never meant to be used?
Again, in public updates and not kept on private computers.
I think it's a question I can ask.

And again, none of this was modded my the dataminers. It was there to begin with, without any dataminer tampering with the code.

As for the teasing: The only one I can recall doing that, is Sakurai. And yes, that guy is a jerk.

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.
The indication is there indeed.
Nobody said it's 100% confirmed.
But it is equally wrong to say all of this is just made-up or dummied out.

The Multiplayer-Octos have been in ever since one of the first updates, I am not mistaken.
And they have been updated over a large portion of time.
It's a good question to ask: Why work hasn'T been done sooner and why they haven't been release already, if they were indeed meant to be playable.
And it is one I can't answer.

I just find it odd, why Nintendo would update over such a long time and then just decide to scrap it.

As for the Player ID thing, I don't think you are right on that.
And I can't recall Nikki ever saying something like this.
I don't think this Octoling-ID has been around from the beginning. At least it is what I recall.
It was included with one of the updates.
The question remains: Why including it, if it is never meant to be used?
Again, in public updates and not kept on private computers.
I think it's a question I can ask.

And again, none of this was modded my the dataminers. It was there to begin with, without any dataminer tampering with the code.

As for the teasing: The only one I can recall doing that, is Sakurai. And yes, that guy is a jerk.
Continuity is important to storytellers, especially for those who make a world with as much history and lore as Splatoon. To pull a decision last second is not out of the ordinary. It may seem odd, but as a storyteller myself, making stories make sense in any medium is important above all else.

And I apologize, but you're incorrect about me being incorrect on the player IDs. It has been there since the beginning of the game, but as a shortcut for model functions, as I have stated. Nikki did not confirm it, but Drlilrobot did. They're both dataminers.The video where the inkzooka and octoling working in tandem to get the zapfish is an example of the ID working for the player, despite being an enemy on the field. It has been there, and is not solid evidence.

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
*Watches fight on Octoling Hype Thread* This is fine

(And instead of adressing it, the person in question just didn't reply. Good work...)
I didn't reply because there is no point. I've explained it at least five different ways, each even more simplified that the first. If you can't wrap your brain around a simple model swap, there's no point in discussing how mods work with you. Anything I say will go straight over your head and you won't even realize it because you honestly believe that, because you follow someone's Twitter that tells you absolutely nothing about what they've actually done, you know more about modding than someone who's actually used save editors and SDKs to mod games for about five years. Even now that this person has come out and said it's not likely, you refuse to accept it as if the universe is playing some sick joke on you. That is why I didn't respond. You honestly believe you're being persecuted somehow and turn anything that doesn't agree with you into some kind of personal attack.

This isn't me being an *******. This is me trying to give you some constructive criticism. If you actually listen to what people say when they disagree without taking it as some personal crusade to bring you down, you might actually learn something you did't know before. Just some food for thought, though I'm sure this will be seen as the next phase in some grand conspiracy against you instead of the tough love advice it's meant to be.

The player ID for the octolings was a shortcut for their functions in single player mode. This has been said repeatedly on Drlilrobot's twitter, which Nikki now also seems to believe. I am no coder or game designer, but it may have bugged the creators as well to have the octolings stuck with such crap models. Any artist would like to complete their work.

Not all of the update work has been on the octolings, in fact, most updates have been on the servers, weapon matchups, stages, and of course adding gear and the like. If they were intended to become playable, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to suddenly scrap it all. I wouldn't put it past any gaming company, really. If they can come up with a reason for the inclusion, for continuity's sake they'd cut it out.

Do they function like inklings when in multiplayer mode? Yes. Does this mean it's solid evidence that it will happen? No. They are an offshoot of the inkling girl model--it's not hard to see that they have the same exact movements and faces, given they have slight alterations and difference in species.

I am not anti-octo, nor am I entirely pro-octo either. I'm neutral on this stance, thinking logically instead of being blinded by fan rage. I would love more than anything to play as an octoling-- I would PAY for the DLC, but there's just no clear indication that it's happening. There are codes that seem like indicators such as the player ID, but that simply doesn't make it positively certain that we'll get them before a sequel hits.

.........And don't forget, Nintendo is the biggest tease ever with their updates, vague news, and tweaks to their sites--they could just be hyping people up for nothing again. They've done it before.
Finally, I encounter another human being in this thread that understands that loading an Octoling for the player character's model means absolutely nothing regarding their playability. Holy crap, you have just made my week. I seriously thought I was trapped in the Twilight Zone where I was speaking some alien language without realizing it.

Dynamite

Inkling
NNID
DynoDuck
It's too bad that the Octolings might not become playable. Although I'm not all that surprised. Playing in online matches with other Inklings and Octolings would have been fun though.

I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense for them to be playable because Octolings are not on good terms with the Inklings...? I mean, why would they play friendly turf war matches with the enemy?

If there's a Splatoon 2, hopefully they'll have them resolve their differences.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
It's too bad that the Octolings might not become playable. Although I'm not all that surprised. Playing in online matches with other Inklings and Octolings would have been fun though.

I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense for them to be playable because Octolings are not on good terms with the Inklings...? I mean, why would they play friendly turf war matches with the enemy?

I'd certainly be down for that as the singleplayer campaign for the sequel.

STELLAR-V™

Inkster Jr.

They used to be on good terms before the sea kept on rising, and there's Octavio's whole "controlling the octarians through music" stated in an interview, but it's unfortunately just not able to abruptly be turned around in Splatoon itself.

Spla2n has more hope there. More wiggle room with the single player campaign and room for skipping some time ahead to when it could very well be possible for some type of redemption or peace treaty.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

After the Hero Campaign, if the credit pictures are anything to go by, they're on fairly good terms. And of course it's just my headcanon, but they are in my Splatoon universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom