Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
we don't know. they could push octos for valentines. they could just flood the holidays with maps and weapons. i agree that it's been too long for otcos to not be completed. but nintendo does weird stuff sometimes. guess we'll just have to play the waiting game again...
The NX will be their focus next year. This is likely one of the last major changes to Splatoon before they pack their bags and hit the NX road. Not only that, the sooner they put it out, the more money they'll make. It's painfully obvious the Octolings are going to be paid DLC and for all we know they have unique winning and losing animation compared to the Inklings on top of a new campaign with new items you unlock by completing it. I'll put my money on Nintendo doing some final adjustments and some final testing before it goes live.

November/Early December is my guess. They can also add weapons and new maps with this update as well. We already saw assets for an office map so at least that's coming soon. The reason it may take as long as it did is due to requiring a direct to explain the differences between the Inklings and Octolings in battle and in the Single Player and also all the new changes to the game on top of that. Yes, they could just release a press release, but it's more typically Nintendo to explain the DLC in full detail in a Direct. So you can also see gameplay on top of that to increase hype and sway those who weren't interested.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
The NX will be their focus next year. This is likely one of the last major changes to Splatoon before they pack their bags and hit the NX road. Not only that, the sooner they put it out, the more money they'll make. It's painfully obvious the Octolings are going to be paid DLC and for all we know they have unique winning and losing animation compared to the Inklings on top of a new campaign with new items you unlock by completing it. I'll put my money on Nintendo doing some final adjustments and some final testing before it goes live.

November/Early December is my guess. They can also add weapons and new maps with this update as well. We already saw assets for an office map so at least that's coming soon. The reason it may take as long as it did is due to requiring a direct to explain the differences between the Inklings and Octolings in battle and in the Single Player and also all the new changes to the game on top of that. Yes, they could just release a press release, but it's more typically Nintendo to explain the DLC in full detail in a Direct. So you can also see gameplay on top of that to increase hype and sway those who weren't interested.
ok. no offense intended. just don't forget we all love octos. we're just anxious.
much loves.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
keesy face...keesy face.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
ok. no offense intended. just don't forget we all love octos. we're just anxious.
much loves.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
keesy face...keesy face.
Of course, we're all major fans of the Octolings! I'll play as an Octoling only once they come out! But I'm guessing as to why they aren't out yet. But once they do, let the Octarian Invasion begin...

magfive

Inkling
NNID
magfive
Playing devil's advocate here, but nothing official from Nintendo has even hinted at the inclusion of playable Octolings in this game. From a business standpoint, if I was Nintendo, the Octolings would not appear in this game, but the next iteration of Splatoon. It would be their side of the story, their gear, their weapons, with Inklings having the appearance in the single player campaign only. It wouldn't be until Splatoon 3 that I would combine the 2 together and have Octoling vs Inkling battles as the main gameplay option (making the whole game like a splatfest). That would keep the money flowing for years to come and seems like a logical pathway to keep the new releases from getting stale. Whereas if they release it now, even as paid DLC, it's not going to make them as much money as it would a stand alone game.

magfive

Inkling
NNID
magfive
'Cept for all those playable Octoling assets they've added to the game little by little every update.
If only that could be considered official. :) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Octolings available right now, but they could also be prepping for a big Splatoon 2 NX launch game next year, which would force me to replace the Wii U sooner than expected.

NNID
namine753
Playing devil's advocate here, but nothing official from Nintendo has even hinted at the inclusion of playable Octolings in this game. From a business standpoint, if I was Nintendo, the Octolings would not appear in this game, but the next iteration of Splatoon. It would be their side of the story, their gear, their weapons, with Inklings having the appearance in the single player campaign only. It wouldn't be until Splatoon 3 that I would combine the 2 together and have Octoling vs Inkling battles as the main gameplay option (making the whole game like a splatfest). That would keep the money flowing for years to come and seems like a logical pathway to keep the new releases from getting stale. Whereas if they release it now, even as paid DLC, it's not going to make them as much money as it would a stand alone game.
bruh the game is literally 5 months old, why are you talking about Splatoon 3...?

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
If only that could be considered official. :).
It IS OFFICIAL!
Those playable Octoling-sets are NOT FAN-MADE MODS!!
THEY WERE MADE BY NINTENDO!

There are various things, that pretty much already confirm playable Octolings.
- Model used is a seperate one from the Enemy-Octolings from Single Player.
- The Octolings have been given eyes to their in-game model, even though we technically are never supposed to see them, as far as Single Player Octolings are concerned
- An update gave them proper mouth animations for the losing-animations.
- Yet another update gave them ROUND EARS! So they DO NOT have the pointy ears Inklings have.

Yes, the playable Octoling-models have IN FACT been updated, within some of the updates.
Again, BY NINTENDO!
Now why would they do that, if they never intended and never wanted playable Octolings to be a thing?
Your argument makes no sense, considering all that.

It is confirmed that Nintendo is working on them.
They are not finished yet. But once they are, I am sure Nintendo will do something with them.
Wasting time on something like that, that will never make it into the game, is just senseless.

NNID
namine753
It IS OFFICIAL!

- The Octolings have been given eyes to their in-game model, even though we technically are never supposed to see them, as far as Single Player Octolings are concerned
- Yet another update gave them ROUND EARS! So they DO NOT have the pointy ears Inklings have.

Yes, the playable Octoling-models have IN FACT been updated, within some of the updates.
Again, BY NINTENDO!
Now why would they do that, if they never intended and never wanted playable Octolings to be a thing?

They are not finished yet. But once they are, I am sure Nintendo will do something with them.
Wasting time on something like that, that will never make it into the game, is just senseless.
honestly you're whole point is what's been giving me hope we will get octolings sooner or later.

magfive

Inkling
NNID
magfive
Guess I'll continue playing devil's advocate.

Updating/using existing resources to test and improve upon a product happens all the time, it's called R&D. Nintendo might be updating and testing the Octolings for future games purposes only. It takes years to develop new games and with the success of Splatoon, Nintendo better be thinking about the sequels. For better or worse the gaming industry is driven by money (most industries are for that matter) and Nintendo will make sure to get as much profit out of Splatoon as they can now and in the future. Why do you think not all weapons and maps were made available day one? Nintendo needs us to keep us playing, so they incentivize us by releasing them slowly.

So for all the evidence you say makes it official, I say Nintendo could pull the plug on it anytime they want. No public announcement has been made and until it is announced, it is all speculation. Hell, even when Nintendo announces things there is no guarantee that they will keep their word (e.g. Zelda U/Starfox).

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
R&D does not entail uploading the content for public access in increasing ammounts, even if it's hidden from most users
Why do you think not all weapons and maps were made available day one? Nintendo needs us to keep us playing, so they incentivize us by releasing them slowly.
Well, yeah. We've known that for a while now. An online multiplayer game needs a playerbase to stay afloat, and that strategy has helped them retain more players than usual for longer than usual.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
It IS OFFICIAL!

Again, BY NINTENDO!

damn. good job rounding the info paragon. round ears? adorable.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Guess I'll continue playing devil's advocate.

Updating/using existing resources to test and improve upon a product happens all the time, it's called R&D. Nintendo might be updating and testing the Octolings for future games purposes only. It takes years to develop new games and with the success of Splatoon, Nintendo better be thinking about the sequels. For better or worse the gaming industry is driven by money (most industries are for that matter) and Nintendo will make sure to get as much profit out of Splatoon as they can now and in the future. Why do you think not all weapons and maps were made available day one? Nintendo needs us to keep us playing, so they incentivize us by releasing them slowly.

So for all the evidence you say makes it official, I say Nintendo could pull the plug on it anytime they want. No public announcement has been made and until it is announced, it is all speculation. Hell, even when Nintendo announces things there is no guarantee that they will keep their word (e.g. Zelda U/Starfox).
*facepalm*
Do you seriously think every single exemplary of Splatoon, that the public can buy, is connected to Nintendo's private Dev compiuters?
And everything that they are developing on their own computers is automatically added to every single game exemplary out there?
If you seriously think that, then... just. wow....

Honestly, what do I even need to say.
Multiplayer Octoling models have been updated on the PUBLIC GAME!
Not on their dev comps, BUT THE PHYSICAL GAMES WE ALL HAVE!!!

Shouldn't that, like, say everything already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom