• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Opinion on the Nintendo's online membership?

-*-

Full Squid
hey sup? :D

i am sure most of you know..but soon we gotta pay to play online T~T at first i wasn't to happy about it but since it is really cheap for a year compared to xbox and PS4,only 20 dollars/euros,i don't find the price a problem..but what still bothers me is how it currenly goes for online playing..i mean many of us have or had issues were you randomly gety kicked out a match because of a ''communication error'' or the teammates disconnecting at the first half of a match? if they expect us to pay to play online then shouldn't they be fixing these issues as well? >-> because it's not fair to pay for something if it's half broken,know what i mean? x.x

what do you people think? o:
They should be charging a lot more. The idea behind this is that it brings in money to enhance the online experience and users get to have a membership that includes having old games

The good

This kind of thing enables you to play multiplayer in so many classic games

Legend of Zelda classic games will be playable! As well as other major names down the line like the classic smash bros games (would not be surprised if they are released near the new smash bros release)

Nintendo is finally making a serious inviestment in online play

Now while all of that is jolly. Here is the bad

It’s overwhelmingly underfunded. There needs to be a three bracket style of service

$5 a month for basic
$10 a month for enhanced access and access to back catalogue
$20 a month for supreme access and unique content

The whole problem is that currently no one even pays for the online service (it’s amazingly well for a free service)

And while this does indeed improve things, players are gonna be pissed when it’s not a major leap like any free to payment transition should be

In short. It’s nintendo. They always find a way to royally **** up a grand opportunity. They used to openly be at war with their own gaming community, so this really bad underfunded roleout is either a huge missed opportunity that Nintendo just didn’t see. Or Nintendo has taken the war on gamers covertly and intentionally does a bad job

There is no joy in life. Only misery and woe

All I care about is playing majoras mask on my switch

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This kind of thing enables you to play multiplayer in so many classic games

Legend of Zelda classic games will be playable! As well as other major names down the line like the classic smash bros games (would not be surprised if they are released near the new smash bros release)

Nintendo is finally making a serious inviestment in online play
Nintendo has not stated in what ways, if at all, they're going to improve on the online. From the looks of it, they're not going to do anything, and even if they did, games like Splatoon 2 don't use dedicated servers and it's not like they're suddenly going to change that.

And on the classic games front, so far they've only talked about NES games. No talk about other consoles, or even 3rd party games (IIRC). We're one-and-a-half year into the system's lifespan, and we have seen nothing VC-like. The Wii had a great VC, the 3DS and Wii U already had a VC with much less to offer, and the Switch, despite being the most successful Nintendo system in ages, has squat. The fact they're only talking about NES games is a bad sign. The fact that friggin' Sky Skipper is available on the Switch before staple Nintendo games is just sad (as amazing as it is that that title even showed up again).

And even then, they're probably just going to go over the same old games they've rereleased tons of times. You can already get every single Zelda game ever released in one form or another on last gen's systems. Literally every single one. Those games aren't hard to find and have stayed in constant circulation over the years. VC once had the promise (and indeed sort of lived up to that) to be more than just another way to sell Super Mario Bros.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about the measly 20 bucks, nor do I think Nintendo's online is that bad per se (the most important part, being able to play games online works fine), but let's not pretend this is a positive development either.

Cephalobro

As long as they put some obscure games as part of their classics line up, I'm fine with it. I just hope they can at least put Earthbound Beginnings with their NES classics line, it's such an obscure game all because it took years for it to finally be released worldwide.

squidkidd0

Inkling
I don't like the fact that I will be paying for things that should already be a given (like a way to backup saves and game data in the phone app) I will do it because at the end of the day I like the game more than I hate NIntendo Online.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
If you can not scrape up 20 bucks to pay for a years worth of online you may be better off putting down the controller and get your life straightened out.
Something being cheap in comparison to its competition isn't a valid reason not to criticize it.
They should be charging a lot more. The idea behind this is that it brings in money to enhance the online experience
Due to the lack of information we have on this in general (another very Nintendo problem), I don't feel confident in saying that any amount of money brought in would improve Nintendo's online infrastructure as it is. They MIGHT be setting up dedicated servers, but we don't know if they are, and we don't know if they will retroactively patch games to support said servers if they're a thing at all.

Endless

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5399-7530-9210
Although it is annoying we have to pay for something that has always been free as far as nintendo consoles have included it, you can't really complain based on the fact that it's a third of what the competitors charge and the money will help fund the servers and improve them.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
the price is something i am not bothered by,actually for a whole year it's really cheap,so i shake my head when i see people complaining about price like come on only cheapskates would complain about the price right? >.<

it's just to me that the servers are still not that great x.x splatoon 2 multiplayer is a good example for this....of course rage quits will still happen but people who actually disconnect in a match that could be improved right? ^-^'' and when i pay 20 for it..will they at least try to improve the servers or will nothing change? i just wanna know the reason why they introduced this online membership thing..is it to improve servers? or is it just cause they want that extra money? o:

i will buy it anyhow cause i play online on splatoon 2 and smash ultimate is coming as well soooo not buying it is not a option xD

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
of course rage quits will still happen but people who actually disconnect in a match that could be improved right?
Most of this can be improved by people just buying a LAN adapter for the Switch.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Speaking of Splatoon's multiplayer after NSO launches, when you think about it, hopefully people that are willing to pay $20 are the same people that are also willing to get a decent internet setup.
Most of this can be improved by people just buying a LAN adapter for the Switch.
Would that really help? From what I know, 8 LAN connected switches must be connected with that dock-thingy in the same room to have a full PB. Is this not correct?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
The majority of connection issues are prevented by going wired. Not a full LAN game, just not relying on wi-fi.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
That's dumb though. If saves were made in the cloud, Nintendo could sanity-check them every time you connect. Rank-cheesing would become impossible, as would a bunch of other cheats. This is the most important, and useful, game for them to have cloud saves for.

Cephalobro

Well, they could've made Splatoon 2's data safe, but off course they make it impossible to save online multiplayer data, which is obviously more important than single-player data (unless Pokemon is involved).

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Not the least bit happy.

I want to believe that our Splatoon data will instead be stored server-side (finally!), but this is Nintendo we're talking about...

Cephalobro

I think maybe the reason why Splatoon 2 isn't included is because its single-player rewards can be used for multiplayer. But then again, it wouldn't cause a problem if both types of data can be stored on the cloud.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Confirmed, Splatoon 2 will not have cloud saves. I bet it's to prevent rank cheesing, and I get that, but it certainly doesn't endear the service to me.
This is just depressing. Literally the only game I would ever want a cloud save on is Splatoon. Like, I'd definitely rather lose all my progress on, say, Zelda than Splatoon because story pve games are a joy to start over and can actually be quite fun. WHY, NINTENDO???

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Would that really help? From what I know, 8 LAN connected switches must be connected with that dock-thingy in the same room to have a full PB. Is this not correct?
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I'm talking about going from playing it over Wifi to playing it wired (the thing you need for that is called the LAN adapter). Which indeed makes things much more stable.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I'm talking about going from playing it over Wifi to playing it wired (the thing you need for that is called the LAN adapter). Which indeed makes things much more stable.
Is that Ethernet or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom