• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Opinion on the Nintendo's online membership?

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I'm talking about going from playing it over Wifi to playing it wired (the thing you need for that is called the LAN adapter). Which indeed makes things much more stable.
Is that Ethernet or something?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Well, they could've made Splatoon 2's data safe, but off course they make it impossible to save online multiplayer data, which is obviously more important than single-player data (unless Pokemon is involved).
Actually, not really.

But I really think they should at least save "single player" data in Splatoon 2. At least let us Cloud Save our level, single player progression, weapons, chunks, gear, etc. They can leave rank out of it, but let us save the other stuff.

I'd be fine if that were the case. They can leave rank, or any multiplayer metric out of it (which is really only ranked), but allow the other data to be saved so if the game does crash we won't have to start from level 1 again.

People can deal with regrinding for their rank if they need to, but losing everything is much more demoralizing. All your gear is gone, you have to unlock all your weapons again, etc.

Last edited:

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Actually, not really.

But I really think they should at least save "single player" data in Splatoon 2. At least let us Cloud Save our level, single player progression, weapons, chunks, gear, etc. They can leave rank out of it, but let use save the other stuff.
Wholeheartedly agreed. I would grind my rank from C- to X a thousand times if it meant I wouldn't have to deal with hundreds more hours of RNG hell for my gear.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Is that Ethernet or something?
Technically any medium that transmits internet is ethernet (CAT5e, fiber, wi-fi, etc). But yes, it's usually referred to as an ethernet or wired ethernet adapter; it doesn't necessarily connect to a LAN.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...aves-ensuring-fair-play-with-those-that-dont/

“The vast majority of Nintendo Switch games will support Save Data Cloud backup. However, in certain games this feature would make it possible to, for example, regain items that had been traded to other players, or revert to a higher online multiplayer ranking that had been lost. To ensure fair play, Save Data Cloud backup may not be enabled for such games. To ensure that Save Data Cloud backups cannot be used to unfairly affect online multiplayer rankings, the feature will not be enabled in Splatoon 2.”

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...aves-ensuring-fair-play-with-those-that-dont/

“The vast majority of Nintendo Switch games will support Save Data Cloud backup. However, in certain games this feature would make it possible to, for example, regain items that had been traded to other players, or revert to a higher online multiplayer ranking that had been lost. To ensure fair play, Save Data Cloud backup may not be enabled for such games. To ensure that Save Data Cloud backups cannot be used to unfairly affect online multiplayer rankings, the feature will not be enabled in Splatoon 2.”
in my opinion i find nothing fair about it,alot of us worked hard or spent many days to get where we are now in certain games like splatoon 2,lets say it took you a year to get in X rank and you do really well in it and then you finally reached level 100 with all your favorite gear,but then there is that day something happens to your switch and it can't be fixed so you have to get a new 1..and even though you still have your account you still gotta start over in splatoon 2..i'm sorry i find nothing fair about that,i rather find it unfair,cause it's not cheating,it's just keeping your current things that can be transfered to another switch if needed.i really think nintendo is screwing us over with this.

Cephalobro

They could've easily solved the savescumming problem by making the rank data autosave in addition of having the previous one overwritten and replaced in the data by the current one. I don't really care about single-player as that's more of a thing in which I can easily retrace the steps to recover from that. However, Rank is a whole another story, I am completely okay to stay in S+ since even only a select group of players is part of that rank. However, to see all that effort wasted is just bad.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
I just want everyone to know that if you have an SD card in your switch you can store your Splatoon 2 save data in there iirc.

Ƶeno

Inkling
NNID
LuigiPlayer14
Switch Friend Code
SW-6550-1295-4233
I just want everyone to know that if you have an SD card in your switch you can store your Splatoon 2 save data in there iirc.
Actually save data for games is always saved to internal storage, and you can’t move it to an sd card

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I wouldn't count on change.org of all things to change Nintendo's mind on something. Companies think about their decisions and know if they make a controversial one that they are gonna get some backlash - but they take that into account and accept that beforehand. A few hundred 'signatures' fits easily with that expectation and isn't going to be any kind of revelation for them. Also, change.org simply has no history with accomplishing anything, ever, when it comes to gaming (as far as I know).
lets say it took you a year to get in X rank and you do really well in it
It certainly wouldn't take you a year to get back to rank X if you already made it there once.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'm hoping that once the online system gets rolling, they'll create online saves for online games that aren't just cloud syncing. I understand why they don't want to enable a strict backup method, but it's both baffling and so very Nintendo that they haven't thought of just storing all character data on the game servers. I figured that was the plan all along--after all, why would they prevent you from shopping at the stores when you're offline otherwise? Makes literally zero sense.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Alright, so the clouds are rolling in and the curtain are about to fall...

Tomorrow (9/13) will be the Direct and (9/18) is when the paywall goes up:
Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1039876288553484291
Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1039877541790670848

Was really holding out that a Splatfest would happen before the hammer dropped too.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet

Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1039876288553484291
Code:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1039877541790670848

Was really holding out that a Splatfest would happen before the hammer dropped too.
it's not a suprise they delayed all splatfests/splatoon updates until the online membership would arrive for real >.< if i was nintendo i probably did the same knowing people will spend money for it lol
though i understand the nintendo direct delay and the reason,i still have to admit i was really looking forward to everything they have to say about all new stuff and game updates :D

KiwiS

Inkling
Well, at least I'll get some NES games that I never played next week.
Splatoon alone is still enough for me tho.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yeah, as bittersweet as it is In still curious to know what the direct will give us.

And I'm still holding onto an ounce of hope we can get some sort of data backup for this game! Especially given that I'm frequently mobile with my Switch and Splatoon 2 is my main online squeeze (and Smash doesn't make me swoon)!

As it currently stands, if something ever happens to my Splatoon data, Nintendo Switch Online becomes completely irrelevant to me.

Cephalobro

I'm holding out for a tiny bit of hope that Nintendo will include some sort of separate online save from the cloud that will account for games whose cloud saves were disabled, especially Splatoon 2.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616

Wow, I kinda thought they would have given us a specific date with a bit more warning.

As for my opinion on the membership: while it's not ideal (as Ninty's online has never really been that fantastic), I think the lowered cost has kinda won me over. I mean £18/year is peanuts for me - I mean that's less than £2 a month, and I spend almost double that a week on unnecessary snacks. I'm pretty sure I'll be just fine (I'll make no promises though, just for you lots sake :p).

I totally understand why others wouldn't go for it (in fact, I feel the same way regarding the PS4/XBO Online).
I'm holding out for a tiny bit of hope that Nintendo will include some sort of separate online save from the cloud that will account for games whose cloud saves were disabled, especially Splatoon 2.
Honestly, I don't see any reason why they would do something like that and not just restrict what gets saved from the game onto the cloud (or maybe it doesn't work like that idk.)

Also, where and how would they keep your save if not on the cloud? In the ocean? Underground? In Mario's Tunnel of Doom?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Also, where and how would they keep your save if not on the cloud? In the ocean? Underground? In Mario's Tunnel of Doom?
It would still be "in the cloud," but not on their generic cloud save system that most other games use, but on Splatoon-specific servers. You wouldn't be able to use the manual syncing that other games have, so no save scumming, but rather, every time you connect to the servers to play or shop, it downloads your game data from the servers and then updates that data directly when your status changes. Like, if you play a ranked game, it immediately adjusts your status as if you lost (in case you d/c), but then if you win, or if you lose but don't get penalized because of a disconnect, it uses that data instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom