• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokemon moon and sun, who else is pretty hyped?

Efuramu

Inkling
NNID
FireEmblemGamer
Can I just say that I love all of the new pokemon? ALL of them, alolan variants included. People complain about the small pokemon counts, but I think that works in their favor, they've been going for quality over quantity. Lots of new signature moves too! The personality in this tropical bunch of beasts is fantastic. This game has some serious problems mechanically (Festival Plaza should be burned to the ground), but the setting and characters are top-notch!

Also Alolan Persian is a wonderful money-making tank and will always be my team's frontrunner :p
I have to agree on you with the pokemon designs. I quite like them. I find myself staring with wonder whenever I encounter a new Pokemon. Also, I agree that Festival Plaza sucks. I liked being able to get online during the main game in ORAS and XY but Sun and Moon made getting online an inconvenience. Can't even leave Festival Plaza with online still on... Also, frame rates :/

I feel like character models are really good this time around. I just wish MC had more facial expressions. I can't wait to see what Pokemon on Nintendo Switch will look like in a few years.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Slowly making my way through the first island. Still not clear idea what I'm doing—but I think that's because when I try and look something up I get tidal waved by a bunch of deep, hardcore and competitive information that make my eyes glaze over. I just wanted a simple answer. u_u

Is quick/fast travel a thing later on? Otherwise this kid is gonna have some leg meat on her by the end of this game, yeah!

Since this is my first Pokemon game outside of Pokken a few of my mons are becoming over-leveled because I wind up trying to catch everyone, see what they do, try to evolve them as I go, and figure out whether or not I want to keep them. Haven't figure out any actual mainstays for a real team. Yet at the moment my starter Rowlet, mystery gift Munchlax, and tamed Slowbro get real heavy usage. Especially when I'm just running around hunting.

Really liking this whole fight-it-once-and-type-effectiveness-is-recorded-forever mechanic they have going. I'm slowly starting to get a handle of the what vs what resistances ahead of time.

And I keep reading a bunch of guides about the festival plaza but still barely have an idea of how it works. Playing around with the WonderTrade system to see what language and country I get a pokemon from, give them a few TMs or level them up for some new moves, then send them out again to see what I get next. But I really wish they let you dig through my boxes of other pokemon instead of just whoever is in your current team. Really annoying.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Is quick/fast travel a thing later on? Otherwise this kid is gonna have some leg meat on her by the end of this game, yeah!
There will be indeed many fast ways to travel later throughout the game; flying being one of the best, but much more.

I slightly envy the fact that this is your first game. So you are experiencing this all for the first time, and learning in the process. There is much to learn, but I guarantee with patience you'll not only improve, but enjoy it all. It takes me back to when I played Pokemon Blue for the first time, Ha ha. I'd sure like to experience that feeling again.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to guide ya. Keep at it! Happy traveling fellow trainer! ♪

Maave

Inkling Commander
I looove my starter. I'm so glad I picked Popplio. Brionne is the happiest pokemon ever.

I need more customization options! The clothing is alright. I want long hair for the male character though.
Also the riding outfit is the ugliest thing I've ever laid eyes on. Ninty, just give the player a helmet and pads with their current outfit.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Slowly making my way through the first island. Still not clear idea what I'm doing—but I think that's because when I try and look something up I get tidal waved by a bunch of deep, hardcore and competitive information that make my eyes glaze over. I just wanted a simple answer. u_u

Since this is my first Pokemon game outside of Pokken a few of my mons are becoming over-leveled because I wind up trying to catch everyone, see what they do, try to evolve them as I go, and figure out whether or not I want to keep them. Haven't figure out any actual mainstays for a real team. Yet at the moment my starter Rowlet, mystery gift Munchlax, and tamed Slowbro get real heavy usage. Especially when I'm just running around hunting.

Really liking this whole fight-it-once-and-type-effectiveness-is-recorded-forever mechanic they have going. I'm slowly starting to get a handle of the what vs what resistances ahead of time.

And I keep reading a bunch of guides about the festival plaza but still barely have an idea of how it works. Playing around with the WonderTrade system to see what language and country I get a pokemon from, give them a few TMs or level them up for some new moves, then send them out again to see what I get next. But I really wish they let you dig through my boxes of other pokemon instead of just whoever is in your current team. Really annoying.
Worst comes to worst, find the attacks with the biggest damage numbers on pokemon with the same type and crush your opponents with those :P

As for Festival Plaza, feel free to ignore that if you want, there's alternatives to almost everything it offers elsewhere in the game. Pokemon is big on player agency.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
That brings up another question: do status ailments, buffs, debuffs and the like carry any relevance throughout the game? Or does it do like most rpgs and become irrelevant in the latter half/third of the game? Or is it more of a PvP concern?

Maave

Inkling Commander
That brings up another question: do status ailments, buffs, debuffs and the like carry any relevance throughout the game? Or does it do like most rpgs and become irrelevant in the latter half/third of the game? Or is it more of a PvP concern?
Status effects against you or the opponent? Against you, not much, it'll just waste a turn until you use items to recover. Against enemies, the AI doesn't try too hard to fix the status so giving a sleep or paralyze move to your tank can let you wear down enemies without switching pokemon.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Status ailments and everything that isn't a straight attack is invaluable in the competitive scene. In the single player outside of the challenging "battle" areas, that's entirely up to personal taste. So to put it simply, yes, it carries relevance throughout the game, especially with how the stat changes work. A "sharply increased" stat, as the game puts it, is doubled.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Status ailments and everything that isn't a straight attack is invaluable in the competitive scene.
^Extremely True

Say your opponent uses Will-o-Wisp on your Tyrantrum. Remember, a burn halves Attack and helps whittle down their HP at the same time, is going to make using your physical wall breaker much harder than it should be. "OMG you freaking nub, use a burn heal on it. lol" Remember, in wifi-battles you don't get the graces of items, the only way your Tyrantrum can become healed from its burn would be from using Rest (Let's be honest though why would anyone run Rest Tyrantrum) or you could use a move like Heal Bell from another pokemon to help heal Tyrantrum. Again, Heal Bell is another status move that is great in the competitive scene.

Heck, even the move Taunt is great in competitive, it's the status move that prevents enemies from using status moves. Status moves are everything that drive a battle, let it be a sweeping Gyarados using Dragon Dance, a Forretress setting up hazards with Stealth Rock and Spikes, or it could be a defensive Heatran Roaring out a Talonflame setting up Swords Dances and Recovering up its health with Roost. Status is what separates the noobs from the pros in Pokemon, if you don't have a single status move on your team, you're guaranteed a loss.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Status is what separates the noobs from the pros in Pokemon, if you don't have a single status move on your team, you're guaranteed a loss.
Not that the game ever emphasizes this. You can get through the plots of most of these games with Tackle.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
You can get through the plots of most of these games with Tackle.
Unless ur at the ghost type gym m8. lol

Especially the newer games, with them healing up your pokemon at every route and before every battle with your rival.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Not that the game ever emphasizes this. You can get through the plots of most of these games with Tackle.
They have to please from kids to adults, so main campaign is a lot easier than "Battle Maison" and stuff. Btw, you can win against those bots with full agressive teams, I did that easily on gen 6.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
They have to please from kids to adults, so main campaign is a lot easier than "Battle Maison" and stuff. Btw, you can win against those bots with full agressive teams, I did that easily on gen 6.
Yep, I went hardcore sweeping and did the same. Takes some forethought obviously, but it's not an instant loss.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
Also the main thing with status conditions and raising stats in the main game versus competitive battles is that in the main game you can rely on things like being terribly overleveled and having stacks of full restores and max revived versus in a competitive battle everyone's level 50 and the only way to heal is to use a move or held item. In a standard battle you can switch your Pokemon between opponents (if you play on switch, I prefer set personally) and switching generally isn't a big deal because you often don't have things to worry about like Pursuit and 6IV opponents. Most game trainers have low AI and their Pokemon usually have 0 IVs in every stat (with the exemption being gym leaders, elite 4, bosses, and ace trainers/veterans, who usually will have 30-31IVs in every stat while your team generally consists of Pokemon on the weaker spectrum so you very heavily rely on healing items and being overleveled.) I actually did a bit of research and discovered that most of S/Ms boss trainers had flawless Pokemon, a very big step up from whereas in ORAS Steven, and only Steven's team had IVs of 30 in every stat, and the Hoenn E4 had only 25.

So when I do playthroughs I do full-aggressive teams as well. Granted I still focus on full type-coverage and like to have an equal balance of physical, special, sweepers, and walls, but competitive tactics and status moves are much better saved for the competitive spectrum.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Ah, nice to see that status ailments carry some relevance in the franchise. Though I'm more than a touch leery about playing PvP as anything I lookup about it immediately dives off a cliff into competitive mode technobabble sorcery.

What have I gotten myself into trying to explore that vault? With a franchise as old as this it seems you must decipher these codices if you want any chance at enjoying battles or useful breeding. Oy.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ah, nice to see that status ailments carry some relevance in the franchise. Though I'm more than a touch leery about playing PvP as anything I lookup about it immediately dives off a cliff into competitive mode technobabble sorcery.

What have I gotten myself into trying to explore that vault? With a franchise as old as this it seems you must decipher these codices if you want any chance at enjoying battles or useful breeding. Oy.
It's not THAT complicated, not compared to some other games. Ask about anything that's flown over your head and the dorks here will be happy to explain :P

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Figured out why I'm enjoying this game differently compared to other RPGs... it's like... Animal Crossing: the RPG!

Though I probably should hold back on playing late at night. My mentality can become a touch... uncouth during the late hours. But Gamefreak started it first! Seriously, why have the best petting spots in refresh mode be the chest, belly, and crotch? Not that they're not good places to be rubbed--but that's not the point!

And how long til Lillie goes off on Nebby and drops into angry mother mode?

"Nebby! Child, get in the #@} &@~^ bag like I told you and %#&^|$ stay in there like I told you or so help me god I'll rip this shoulder strap off and beat you with it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom