poll about winning/losing

would you rather play well but you lose or win but you get carried?

• play well but you lose

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • win but you get carried

Votes: 18 46.2%

• Total voters

Grushi

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Oh it's so hard to say...

On one hand I'd rather feel like I'm doing well but at the same time if I have a losing streak because my team isn't keeping up that feels pretty terrible. Especially when I don't know what I could do to improve.

But winning while getting carried feels cheap and kind of undeserving... so ugh, guess I'll be superficial and pick that. I'd rather feel like I could still improve and keep winning than knowing I have to hard carry games

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I would prefer just to get carried.
It personally feels worse to me when I know I did as much as I could and then see my team constantly dying to one or two players.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Commander
1719699520453.png

Games like this to me are like the absolute utmost proof that I'm playing well on a given day. Like I took an absolutely horrible situation where the only support I was getting was a place to super jump to from the E-Liter + their Beakons and I made our opponents WORK. A win where I do nothing feels hollow to me, like the game may as well have never even happened. A loss where you are fighting with what feels like an incomplete team against an entire team makes me feel powerful.

C-53

Full Squid
It kind of depends on my state of mind. Also, I only play solo, which is probably a huge part of my mindset here. If I had a steady comp team, I would be troubled by not contributing or underperforming.

Most of the time I am playing to improve myself, and so I am proud when my team is clearly up against a superior squad, but I play a strong game in spite of it. I question what I could have done to elevate the team, if we lose, but a good performance against bad odds is still satisfying.

However, if I slip into a 3+ game losing streak, I might just need a win to maintain the will to continue playing, regardless of whether I am being carried.

So my default focus is on self improvement and my own performance, regardless of a win or loss, but occasionally I just need a win by any means to stay motivated.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Every other competitive game I play is 1v1, and in those environments I'd much rather walk away from a set feeling like I played well and they were just better than that I screwed up and could've won that.

But here? If I played perfectly, I don't feel like they were just better, I feel like I'm mad at the teammate who fed.

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
I would very much prefer getting carried because losing either sets you back or slows down your progress.

Azhdarcho

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-5595-5611
I prefer being carried because that means I’m in a more challenging environment. More opportunities to learn.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
I would prefer just to get carried.
It personally feels worse to me when I know I did as much as I could and then see my team constantly dying to one or two players.
Adding on top of this, it also gets hard for me to continue playing if I feel that I have to keep carrying my teammates in every match I play.
It's not always a problem, I understand that sometimes you'll just have to be the one carrying a push for your team but it's never a good feeling knowing that the outcome of the match might just depend on whether or not you can survive multiple 1v2's without trading.

QuagSass

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I'd rather lose cause if I'm always consistently playing well then eventually I'll get good enough to just be the one carrying.

also getting carried is booooooriiiiiiiiing! If I'm getting carried then I'm not really doing anything, especially as a backline.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
she/her
tough to just pick one universally I guess; they're extremely context dependent. but I would say in the most average situation I would prefer to lose but feel like I played well, since the satisfaction of playing well (and actually recognizing/believing that I'm playing well for that matter) is probably one of the best feelings in the whole game for me right now.

That said, if I somehow got to a point where I was always carrying and still losing, I might feel differently. And of course when it comes to rank up, I would be happy to take the carry just because the fewer stressful rank-up battles I have to do the better.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I would rather be carried. Personally, I find there to be no point in playing well only to lose the game, it’s just a waste of effort.
Besides, underperforming leads to a learning opportunity while having your teammates throw the game by disregarding the #1 rule of Rainmaker does not.

Azhdarcho

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-5595-5611
also getting carried is booooooriiiiiiiiing! If I'm getting carried then I'm not really doing anything, especially as a backline.
I guess it depends a little bit on what “being carried” means? I was picturing a game where I’m getting my *** handed to me and I’m dying left and right, but my teammates go hero mode and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. But yeah, if it’s a game where my job is to stand on the tower like a lump, it is super boring.

lesbianseagull

Inkling
Depends on my mood. For the most part, I prefer “play well but lose” since I can't feel good about myself if my performance is subpar. But if I'm just trying to get to the end of a Splatfest then I prefer “win but get carried”.

Vidknight

Pro Squid
Pronouns
He/Him
It depends on what we mean when we say carried. Like am im playing a cooler weapon farming cooler for a CRB that grabs a drink and get multiple teamwipes? aerospray painting everything and avoiding the enemy team? In cases like or similar to this I don’t mind since it still feels like I’m helping. But if we’re talking about true hard carried ie im playing roller and get 1 assist 0 bubbles and, died 15 times then I go with play well but lose. I always rather feel like I did something in a match rather than sit idle.

Last edited:

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
Winning certainly feels good, but if I lose I don't let it get me down. I just use it as a learning experience and try to think about what I could have done better. I'm always looking for ways to improve and I don't want to be that teammate who let everyone else down. This is a team based shooter after all.

rolodabo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3963-6436-1306
really depends on the context, tbh. usually i think i'd prefer playing well but losing as i can still feel proud of myself for what i did well and think about what to change next time. by the next day i probably won't remember or care about how i did the day before anyway, so as long as i'm enjoying myself that's all that really matters.

that being said, there are definitely times where, say, i've been on a losing streak and i just want one win, even if i get carried. that's usually around the time i pause play for the time being, though.

Yosi Spring

Pro Squid
In Ranked I'd prefer to get carried, but overall I'd rather play consistently well because I value hitting sick clips more than anything else (yeah I'm a New Squiffer player 😂)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom