• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Poll: Squid Sisters vs. Off The Hook!

Squid Sisters or Off The Hook?

• Squid Sisters!

Votes: 161 65.2%
  • Off The Hook!

Votes: 86 34.8%

• Total voters

It's the face-off of the century!

Take your picks! Which Inkopolis idol group stands above the rest?

Is it the splendidly spectacular Squid Sisters?

Or do you have an outstanding obsession with Off The Hook?

Tell us which duo is your favorite, or which you think is the best! Sound off in the comments below with your thoughts.

Until next time...well, you know what to do!

TheRapture

Comments

I mostly like the Squid Sisters.I draw them alot,Marie is my favorite out of these two,and i really miss Callie in Splatoon 2. Off the Hook is good,but they will never be amazing as the Squid Sisters was to me.Fresh Start and Maritime Memory make me sad.Off the Hook has great songs,but Calamari Inkantation is my favorite along with Tidal Rush!..So , I'm team Squid Sisters!Off the Hook is still good though,i just like the Squid Sisters more.

Tough decision for me, honestly. Both idol groups have their strengths and weaknesses both character-, music- and lore-wise, but I'll have to go with the Squid Sisters on this one.

Now, to explain how I came to this verdict, I'll write up a bit of random rambling that may or may not make sense to the reader, but here goes.

The Squid Sisters are like a good classic. They follow you throughout the Story of Splatoon 1, they broadcast news, stages, and Splatfest announcements, they're ever-present in their little studio accessible on the balcony we're all still missing dearly in Splat 2, and nobody will ever forget that epic moment when they did the music override in the final boss fight. Calamari Inkantation is arguably one of the best tunes the franchise has ever brought to the light of day, radiating with so much power and damn, it's so catchy, dont'cha think? As a group, they have the classical J-Idol vibes going on: Quirky outfits? Check. Funny dance moves? Check. Boke-Tsukkomi character dynamic? Check! Catchy J-Idol inspired tunes? Check. Their music resonates a lot with me despite being more on the Rock/Metal side of things. Listening to their Splatfest Plaza music makes me remember all the good old times I had in S1 and despite only having had one track for Splatfest battles (if we ignore the 1-minute now or never track), I never got tired of it. Playing even the saltiest of Splatfest sessions felt worthwile with the atmosphere being well-rounded through and through. Now lore-wise, they're both agents, cousins and aid you on your quest to return the great Zapfish and sorta prove their battling capabilities with that in mind (bonus points for Marie wielding the old-school Hero Charger in the boss battle of Splat 2) and you learn quite a bit about their past and future, giving them so much background story to work with. Their break-up on the transition to Splatoon 2 made the stress they've been under very realistic and even a bit sad, and Marie's sadness and references to an Enka singer in Splatoon 2 further underline this aspect. Also, I never grew tired of Marie's sass, and her being a charger wielder only added to the sympathy bonus going on.

Now Off the Hook are great in their own right. They have lots, and lots of contrast going on, design-and characterwise. Pearl being vertically challenged, pale and showing white "hair" while Marina is dark-skinned, an Octoling(!) and is overall darker, and tall even by octoling standards; Pearl being your bratty rich kid with a heart of gold and Marina the wallflower with a side of snark and tech-enthusiasm; Pearl being unable to sing and hence relies on rap, while Marina is blessed with a beautiful singing voice and overall both of them giving off the Western R'n'B + Rap vibe are a good addition to the cast. You can clearly see how they're very close friends throughout their banter which makes them interesting and engaging to learn more about, but this is sorta where they fall short, lore-wise. You learn so little about them. Heck, why didn't Marina get more story as to why she's an idol in the first place, being an Octoling and all? They wasted so much potential on both of them, which is really sad, considering they make for interesting characters as-is and their music is very good as well. They don't just have one Splatfest tune, but two or three even?! And all of them are quite nice songs too, sounding more "English" as far as Inkling can go there, lol. I certainly like them a lot regardless, I just wish they had more story going on, it also doesn't help that you have to mash through the buttons to get past their announcement as they now announce not only two, but three modes AND Salmon Run when it's up. While I like reading their banter, sometimes it feels like a hassle, y'know?

All in all, if I could just go "I like both", I would've opted for this option instead, but as I have to make a choice, ultimately the Squid Sisters resonate more with me, but that's really just my personal, subjective view.

I voted Squid Sisters bc i love their songs, I just feel like Off The Hook's song aren't that good... maybe in the future I'll like Off The Hook Better. And I feel like we know more of Callie and Marie's Personality's better, and that Pearl and Marina are Squid Sisters Wanna-be's

It's the face-off of the century!

Take your picks! Which Inkopolis idol group stands above the rest?

Is it the splendidly spectacular Squid Sisters?

Or do you have an outstanding obsession with Off The Hook?

Tell us which duo is your favorite, or which you think is the best! Sound off in the comments below with your thoughts.

Until next time...well, you know what to do!
It has to be the Squid Sisters.

Off the Hook, they are prettier and their song is great. The Squid Sisters, their song is good but I will say Off the Hook.

both off the hook and squid sisters are pretty cool
but i felt bad for callie in splatoon 2. i wish that once you defeat the final boss, there would be an option to unlock callie commentary.

Last edited:
Squid Sisters, by a long shot. And it's mainly because they've simply been given more time for character development. There's a special connection we as the player have to the Squid Sisters, especially after Octo Canyon. Sure, both bands have a killer soundtrack, but I'm more emotionally invested in Callie and Marie because Agent 4's been to hell-and-back with them. The radio chats between Agent 4 and Marie feel so genuine, and gives me the idea that without Callie, Marie is a pretty lonely person. I also feel bad for Callie, a pop-star going though a mid-career crisis that wound up in the wrong part of Octo Country. I'm interested in seeing where they go with her character down the line. As for Pearl and Marina, they aren't bad, they have some great dialogue, but they just feel kind of flat, and it's because we only have little dialogue from the little maps we have. As Splatoon goes on with more updates, I'm sure they'll evolve as characters, just like Callie and Marie.

I will not lie;
Squid Sisters.
Why?
In both Splatoon 1 & 2, you get more story with them, thus allowing you to connect with them further. Pearl and Marina are just...there. Yes, Marina IS an Octoling, but there is really no story about how Pearl accepted her to be an Octoling, how Marina managed to make it up to an IDOL, etc.
Plus, no one can really replace the Sisters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom