• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Poll: Squid Sisters vs. Off The Hook!

Squid Sisters or Off The Hook?

• Squid Sisters!

Votes: 161 65.2%
  • Off The Hook!

Votes: 86 34.8%

• Total voters

It's the face-off of the century!

Take your picks! Which Inkopolis idol group stands above the rest?

Is it the splendidly spectacular Squid Sisters?

Or do you have an outstanding obsession with Off The Hook?

Tell us which duo is your favorite, or which you think is the best! Sound off in the comments below with your thoughts.

Until next time...well, you know what to do!

TheRapture

Comments

A little late to the party here but... there isn't a doubt in my mind that I love off the hook more. The contrast between the 2 is so much more pronounced making both pearl and marina shine brilliantly. I think most people still veer towards the squid sisters is that they have a better, more descriptive backstory helping everyone see the chemistry between the two. While off the hook has not (at least not yet) released any information regarding how they came to be best friends I still feel so much more love between them. Plus I'm one of the few who absolutely adores pearl. She has so much spunk for a short inkling that is makes her stand out so much more. Of course this all my opinion, I'm aware that most everyone loves marina and even most people love the squid sisters more but that doesn't change the fact that I love pearl and marina so much more than I did the squid sisters.

Oh my gosh this is the hardest poll ever. ( for me, that is )
I love Off the Hook and Squid Sisters! But Fuel the Melody is my favorite song ever, so I have to go with Squid Sisters.
( Though "I like Don't get Cooked, Stay off the Hook!" catchphrase wise )

I think for me, Off The Hook, cause I feel they match the theme of Inkopolis Square more than the Squid sisters did with Inkopolis Plaza.

Off The Hook! They have more songs than them and personally I like the rapper&DJ combo those two have going on.
Ebb & Flow + Acid Hues > Ink me up. Marina's voice is <3 and Pearl's rapping and voice is cute.

How do y'all like Off the Hook more... I don't understand too much...
While Off the Hook are cool, I MUCH prefer the Squid Sisters, both music and comedy wise...
But everyone has their own opinion, I guess...

I love both my squid and octo girl groups.. If there was a both option I would pick both but I love marina too much to say squid sisters. Plus off the hook doesn't interrupt you every 2 hours to tell you the map lineup like the squid sisters did.

I gotta say though, I LOVE Callie and Marie's designs in splatoon 2. Callie's being my favorite.

Marina has such a good backstory in splatoon 2 Octo expansion as well.

Off the Hook generally has more personality and backstory. Pearl and Marina are much different from each other design wise. Callie and Marie just seem based off each other. The backstory is fleshed out in the Octo Expansion and really gives some character.

Also "Don't get cooked, stay off the hook!" seems like an anti-drug phrase so it brings me laughs.
I prefer Pearl out of the two.

Tough decision for me, honestly. Both idol groups have their strengths and weaknesses both character-, music- and lore-wise, but I'll have to go with the Squid Sisters on this one.

Now, to explain how I came to this verdict, I'll write up a bit of random rambling that may or may not make sense to the reader, but here goes.

The Squid Sisters are like a good classic. They follow you throughout the Story of Splatoon 1, they broadcast news, stages, and Splatfest announcements, they're ever-present in their little studio accessible on the balcony we're all still missing dearly in Splat 2, and nobody will ever forget that epic moment when they did the music override in the final boss fight. Calamari Inkantation is arguably one of the best tunes the franchise has ever brought to the light of day, radiating with so much power and damn, it's so catchy, dont'cha think? As a group, they have the classical J-Idol vibes going on: Quirky outfits? Check. Funny dance moves? Check. Boke-Tsukkomi character dynamic? Check! Catchy J-Idol inspired tunes? Check. Their music resonates a lot with me despite being more on the Rock/Metal side of things. Listening to their Splatfest Plaza music makes me remember all the good old times I had in S1 and despite only having had one track for Splatfest battles (if we ignore the 1-minute now or never track), I never got tired of it. Playing even the saltiest of Splatfest sessions felt worthwile with the atmosphere being well-rounded through and through. Now lore-wise, they're both agents, cousins and aid you on your quest to return the great Zapfish and sorta prove their battling capabilities with that in mind (bonus points for Marie wielding the old-school Hero Charger in the boss battle of Splat 2) and you learn quite a bit about their past and future, giving them so much background story to work with. Their break-up on the transition to Splatoon 2 made the stress they've been under very realistic and even a bit sad, and Marie's sadness and references to an Enka singer in Splatoon 2 further underline this aspect. Also, I never grew tired of Marie's sass, and her being a charger wielder only added to the sympathy bonus going on.

Now Off the Hook are great in their own right. They have lots, and lots of contrast going on, design-and characterwise. Pearl being vertically challenged, pale and showing white "hair" while Marina is dark-skinned, an Octoling(!) and is overall darker, and tall even by octoling standards; Pearl being your bratty rich kid with a heart of gold and Marina the wallflower with a side of snark and tech-enthusiasm; Pearl being unable to sing and hence relies on rap, while Marina is blessed with a beautiful singing voice and overall both of them giving off the Western R'n'B + Rap vibe are a good addition to the cast. You can clearly see how they're very close friends throughout their banter which makes them interesting and engaging to learn more about, but this is sorta where they fall short, lore-wise. You learn so little about them. Heck, why didn't Marina get more story as to why she's an idol in the first place, being an Octoling and all? They wasted so much potential on both of them, which is really sad, considering they make for interesting characters as-is and their music is very good as well. They don't just have one Splatfest tune, but two or three even?! And all of them are quite nice songs too, sounding more "English" as far as Inkling can go there, lol. I certainly like them a lot regardless, I just wish they had more story going on, it also doesn't help that you have to mash through the buttons to get past their announcement as they now announce not only two, but three modes AND Salmon Run when it's up. While I like reading their banter, sometimes it feels like a hassle, y'know?

All in all, if I could just go "I like both", I would've opted for this option instead, but as I have to make a choice, ultimately the Squid Sisters resonate more with me, but that's really just my personal, subjective view.
Amazingly well said and I agree with the "I like both"

Post-DLC, Squid Sisters are still better characters. Granted, it helps a lot that Splatoon 2 progressed them to having Marie be more music and radio while Callie is a TV star, so we'll see about Splatoon 3 for Pearl and Marina.

But Marina kinda does... everything. She has a ton of hobbies and still hangs out with Pearl, how does she find the time? She never seems worn out. The only time she shows irritation is occasionally when Pearl is actually being really annoying. Pearl shows a more distinct self through her dialogue than Marina, with cute quirks and mild flaws, she just needs to be fleshed out a little more.

Off The Hook has more consistently great music and more variety, but my favorites are two from each; Ink Me Up, Fresh Start, Shark Bytes and Fly Octo Fly.

Personally I prefer the Squid Sisters. I still like Off the Hook but it wasn't until when Octo Expansion when I actually started to like them, while on the other hand Callie and Marie have always had a major part in Splatoon's story modes. Also Calamari Inkantation and the Splatoon 2 version are awesome songs

I like them both! Without Callie and Marie, Pearl and Marina wouldn't be around, yet without Pearl and Marina, Marie would not be in the Single Player Campaign without an excuse (Like Callie being a one star show) but it wouldn't work (As Callie is in the Single Player Campaign!). So both are equal.

come on people, the squid sisters don't actually have that much personality, especially in comparison to RAP GOD PEARL.
CHANGE MY MIND PEOPLE

Off the hook and squid sisters are both great. Personally, I prefer off the hook. I did not play splatoon only splatoon 2, but have listened to all there music and their personalities and I just enjoy off the hook more(especially Fly Octo Fly~Ebb and Flow

I like both equally, and I do have to be honest, City of Color is more memorable than Color Pulse, but I like the fact that Marina being an Octoling started the road of Octarians in Inkopolis, which I hope it goes through completely one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom