Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I have to say, I find Tower Control a lot more fun and entertaining than Splat Zones. Something about it is just a complete thrill ride and I end up enjoying it no matter if I win or lose. Maybe it's the fact that you're always on the move rather than just camping a particular spot or two.

And this may just be me, but there's something strangely satisfying about managing to slow the game down because of how many players are targeting the tower with hundreds of bombs.
It feels more engaging for all skill levels. In Splat Zones, the weaker players are penalized for being bad at the game; they gotta go all the way back to the center to even start helping out again. In Tower Control, those very same players are the ones that end up holding back the enemy and are able to be more active as their own team is losing.

It's a lot of fun I have to say. Way better than splat zones imo.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
I find it strange that Calli and Marie do not alert you to what mode is currently in effect for Ranked. You guys think maybe we could perhaps actually be able to choose between splat zones and tower control in the future? This design decision seems way too restrictive and strange to be the definitive path Nintendo chose to take with this game, I find it hard to believe they would do that tbh.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I find it strange that Calli and Marie do not alert you to what mode is currently in effect for Ranked. You guys think maybe we could perhaps actually be able to choose between splat zones and tower control in the future? This design decision seems way too restrictive and strange to be the definitive path Nintendo chose to take with this game, I find it hard to believe they would do that tbh.
I am like 80% certain that once they've implemented all the stages they promised as well as all the gear and weapons and game modes and party configuration in August, we will be able to freely choose what stuff we'd like to play.

I'm almost certain this will end up happening. Look at the leveling in the game itself. Once we hit level 20 we had the ability to add slots to gear, change slots, access to all the guns, etc. Once Splatoon itself hits level 20, I can expect more options eh?

Moko_b

Inkling
NNID
GintokiRP
Tower Control is great so far. The routing for the tower can get crazy. I love jumping over the water to hop on and knowing my death is just below. I notice a lot of folks focus their attention on the tower itself and ignore their peripheral vision making side kills easy. I honestly don't spend much time on the tower unless it needs to be pushed or if we've lost the lead. I do enjoy providing support with long-mid range weapons.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Ink Mines on the Tower
Blasters everywhere
Dynamo roll does nothing to people on the Tower
Teammate super jumping to me 3 points from capping in overtime. He pushes me off and then willingly jumps off making us lose

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Tower Control is just as tough as Splat Zones. It seems that in order to hold the tower, you need someone with Bubbler; it's practically essential. Chargers are also a huge problem. There needs to be players dedicated to taking them out. Otherwise, you're just not gonna win. Tower Control favours them too much.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Tower Control is just as tough as Splat Zones. It seems that in order to hold the tower, you need someone with Bubbler; it's practically essential. Chargers are also a huge problem. There needs to be players dedicated to taking them out. Otherwise, you're just not gonna win. Tower Control favours them too much.
Only map I've played so far where chargers are a huge problem is the Mall. Tower lacks the grating bridge connecting the upper platforms so if one posts up on them you have to traverse through the middle, and climb up wall to take them out. Otherwise on maps like Bluefin and the Warehouse it is easy to take them out among the chaos. I do make a special effort to take them out in the mall level.

Ink Mines on the Tower
The only acceptable reason to use Aerosprayer RG in Tower. I'm seeing so many now. It's annoying because they aren't super effective otherwise but man, when they are it can really kill the momentum.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Considering the whole "pro bubbler and mines" movement, I cant wait to see just how much the new brush will impact the game in this mode.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
Ink Mines on the Tower
Blasters everywhere
Dynamo roll does nothing to people on the Tower
Teammate super jumping to me 3 points from capping in overtime. He pushes me off and then willingly jumps off making us lose
Blasters and Rollers are EVERYWHERE. Tower definitely favors blasters because of the splash damage that can go over the whole tower and get kills easy. :/ But idk how you are playing the Dynamo Roller because every time there's a Dynamo Roller on the enemy team, the ranged attack just flings massive amounts of ink and destroys everyone on the tower pretty much. I'd say the Dynamo is one of the best weapons for Tower. Maybe

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Blasters and Rollers are EVERYWHERE. Tower definitely favors blasters because of the splash damage that can go over the whole tower and get kills easy. :/ But idk how you are playing the Dynamo Roller because every time there's a Dynamo Roller on the enemy team, the ranged attack just flings massive amounts of ink and destroys everyone on the tower pretty much. I'd say the Dynamo is one of the best weapons for Tower. Maybe
That's only if they are charging directly at the Dynamo which they should never do. It's worth the extra 2 seconds to go around them and shoot from behind. From what I've seen they work better defensively. Carbon Rollers are much more deadly imho. They are very mobile, can still OHKO you and also ruin your day with inkzooka.

On another note, stealth jump should be MANDATORY if you super jump. No reason why you shouldn't have it here. Sure I've gotten splatted anyway a few times but way more often then not I am taking the other team off guard. Super jumping is still a bit reckless regardless but high deaths in Tower doesn't really throw the game like it does in splat zones.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
An observation in the mode, the tower does seem to go faster the more people on it contrary to what the treehouse said.
Nuh-uh, the tower only gets a speed boost if it's covering an area you've already passed. It doesn't speed up with more inklings on it, you don't need any more than one guy up there at a time.

I went in with the Custom Splattershot Jr. and had an amazing win streak (I'm A- now, yaaay). Disruptors are absolutely killer for both retaking the tower, and fending off enemies who are attacking it.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
Whats this overtime crap? I thought that when the time runs out the winner is which team pushed the tower nearest to the enemies goal?

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Whats this overtime crap?
If the losing team has control, the timer continues until either the winning team regains control for a few seconds, or the losing team manages to overtake the winning team and steal the victory. It's a fantastic mechanic that means the game is tense up until the very last second, because even if you're in the lead the other team could still reverse it at the last second if you get complacent. It's also in Splat Zones, and works super well there.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
Tower Control? More like Ice Cream Truck Control... amiright?! After playing roughly 30 matches, most lasting less than a minute or two, I can say I enjoyed my time with Tower Control. It's an extremely fast paced game type, that forces you to play highly offensive, and I feel as if trains you to play better in my opinion. I am a Roller, I never ever use the Tentatek as you're going to see in the video below. I'm terrible with the Inkzooka, but I gradually get better with it, and the Tentatek itself by the mid - end of the video. My best game all night was:

This was less than a two minute insane match!
It's very exhausting to keep playing, but it was incredibly fun and fast paced, I loved it. For whatever reason no one has played it yet, feel free to watch some gameplay I had recorded. I do surprisingly well for barely ever using the Tentatek, or a gun for that matter. What are your thoughts on Tower Control so far? Enjoy!

If you would like to skip to the battles, I have time stamps on the video's page.​

Take care,
• Jim

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Whats this overtime crap? I thought that when the time runs out the winner is which team pushed the tower nearest to the enemies goal?
Overtime seems barely relevant in this mode. Too easy for the winning team to have ample time to scare the losers off.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I flubbing LOVE Tower Control! It fits my playstyle so well! People are freaking dumb when it comes to this... When the opponent has the tower, just throw bombs up on it. It'll either kill 'em or force them off where you can pick 'em off there lol.

The spire in the middle has saved me more times than not from the enemy snipers.
Another thing is that people NEVER check their surroundings since they're so focused on the tower. I've caught many people off guard because of that. XD It's hilarious.

So this mode is good, probably the mode actually most about killing in the game. Being a charger is certainly interesting as I don't have to be directly involved. Being a charger while on the tower is also weird.

An observation in the mode, the tower does seem to go faster the more people on it contrary to what the treehouse said.

It also makes me mad when my entire team doesn't get onto the tower. We lose the very second someone is off it. It's better to die defending it, then just to be off it and be like, "oh we lost." Like I said, it also goes faster with more players. So piling on it could win the day. Even if there are suction bombs on it.
It's not good to have everyone on the tower since everyone can be killed SO easily (without a proper defense anyway). It's better to hop off, kill those attacking, and live to retake it than to die and swim back to it (or risk a super jump if you don't have Stealth Jump). I have found it's efficient to have one (or two if someone has a defensive option like the wall of bubbler) on the tower and the others defend it (

Ranged weapons in general rule this gametype. Chargers can make a pretty good one-man-wall and prevent teams from progressing (well in Walleye anyway, BUT STILL =\).

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
Another thing is that people NEVER check their surroundings since they're so focused on the tower. I've caught many people off guard because of that. XD It's hilarious.
I can't tell you how many people I killed like that ;)!

It's not good to have everyone on the tower since everyone can be killed SO easily (without a proper defense anyway). It's better to hop off, kill those attacking, and live to retake it than to die and swim back to it (or risk a super jump if you don't have Stealth Jump). I have found it's efficient to have one (or two if someone has a defensive option like the wall of bubbler) on the tower and the others defend it (

Ranged weapons in general rule this gametype. Chargers can make a pretty good one-man-wall and prevent teams from progressing (well in Walleye anyway, BUT STILL =\).
I'm insane when it comes to movement, I'll jump off and on several times to confuse enemies and avoiding grenades and ink mines. I love it :p!

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

This is mostly true for the first part. For the second part though I found rollers to be the kingpin, 90% of rooms has at least 2 rollers on either team and most use either kraken or normal/hero for the bombs.

I like this mode though, it lessens the mindless inkage that would otherwise force you to carry everyone.

May have to take your tip on the stealth jump though, I seem to find myself jumping to the tower A LOT.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
  • hey remember how fun it is when ubered robots cap the bomb in mvm? bubbler and kraken make the same nonsense possible.
  • also, breaking past a lead is a LOT harder than in splat zones. turnarounds are near-impossible.
  • the objective below the actual platform part is a huge pain (because sometimes it'll push you around or it'll be finnicky if you try to climb up it while it's moving)
  • and ok obviously some weapons benefit more in certain modes but this feels a lot more centralizing already? blasters and chargers are huge
  • flanking is also less effective than dogpiling straight onto the point (despite the new routes opened up when played on this mode which is odd) which hurts the mode strategically and in terms of variety
  • tf2's payload is much better because the cart's pushed up a one way street and doesn't fall back a million feet if you lose advantage
  • I'm worried that Rainmaker will suffer many of the same problems, but I can see it being a bit better than Tower Control.
  • (me on splash-o-matic's use) just makes it feel like suction bombs are really centralizing though...?
Copypasting my negative thoughts on this mode from my twitter. No, I'm not losing a lot. There's just a lot of bad game design abound with Tower Control and I'm really not finding it a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom