Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Yup, blasters are flat out broken. This makes good frontal patrolling and enemy high ground survey a must. Especially with the new slew of rapid blasters.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Are Chargers any good on this mode?
It depends on the map, but they certainly can be. I came up against a Charger on Walleye Warehouse who was single-handedly able to stop our advances by sniping from the raised areas on their end. In maps where the tower's route isn't as exposed (eg Saltspray) they're not so hot.

Sitri

Full Squid
NNID
SitriStahl
After playing the mode a bit more today, and playing 5 out of the 7 maps, I think Saltspray Rig and Kelp Dome are the two best maps for this mode.

Although I haven't seen the layout for Blackbelly Skatepark yet, I feel that every other map is just far too linear and/or chokepointy to be fun. On the other maps, you are practically sent back to square one the moment you lose any lead over the enemy, since you have to not only keep them off the tower but also push the tower back to mid and further into their base than they did yours. This creates situations where it is nearly impossible to pull ahead without slaying all 4 enemies at once, and making sure they stay down(nobody super jumping to the tower at the last second), lest the cycle starts over. Not only do you have to keep 4 down while reclaiming your base, you also have to keep them down as you push into their spawn point, making it less and less likely that you're going to be able to keep them suppressed. It's an uphill battle when you're losing, and you need to put in 10x more effort than the enemy.

Now to get to my original point, Rig solves one of the largest problems of all the maps in that its tower path is much more centralized compared to the other maps, meaning that you can actually help out your teammates without swimming across the entire map or super jumping to your death. This rewards locking down a central location instead of mindlessly pushing into the enemy base for a spawn trap. Now for Kelp Dome, it has a similar situation on a larger scale. It's not as easy to go on the offense off spawn, but it is easier to get around and flank than the other maps.

In my opinion based on a few hours of gameplay, competitive Tower Control should only be paired up with these maps.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Are Chargers any good on this mode? I think I'm getting decent with the Hero Charger Replica, but I'm not sure how useful a sniper is for capturing the tower. Granted, I'm Generally awful, but I never felt like I could do anything once the other team got the tower.
Also, yeah, getting up onto the platform is annoying. Can it squish you? Because it looks like it should, but that's never happened to me yet so I dunno for sure.
For places like Wall eye very much so. I had a lot of trouble using it on Urchin underpass though. I think it really is a map thing. Then again, most modes it is basically a map thing that decides which weapon to bring.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
In competitive Tower Control you will always need to have one guy either stand behind the rest to ensure you have a safety net in case of a team whipe or one guy with a sub ability Beacon - who has placed them in secure areas.
Any mode in Splatoon would be entirely different than what we are playing right now, because you would have control over the team composition and also you'd be communicating with your team mates.
Right now we are playing a completely different game than what Competitive Splatoon will be.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
In competitive Tower Control you will always need to have one guy either stand behind the rest to ensure you have a safety net in case of a team whipe or one guy with a sub ability Beacon - who has placed them in secure areas.
Any mode in Splatoon would be entirely different than what we are playing right now, because you would have control over the team composition and also you'd be communicating with your team mates.
Right now we are playing a completely different game than what Competitive Splatoon will be.
There's quite a bit of variety currently, and I definitely play different while each game type. I use:

Turf Wars: Ink Brush
Splat Zones: Krak-On Roller
Tower Control: Tentatek

SGM

Inkster Jr.
NNID
UltimateBlast
I went from B-, to C+, and back to B-. I'll point out that I wouldn't have gone down a rank if one game didn't give me only 8 points for absolutely no reason.

Because, you know, that makes sense.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm now starting to hear chargers aren't that good. I don't know, I have been having a successful time with both the Hero Charger Replica, and the New Squiffer.

In addition to being able to kill without getting into conflict yourself, both chargers come with a good set of strengths.

Regular chargers splat bombs are really scary, and can easily force retreats because of respecting it Bomb rush is also a massive wave of death.

New Squiffer has ink mines which are always nice to have on the tower. Inkzooka is also a good way to force opponents off the tower or hit ones away trying to force your team off.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
Tower Control would be a lot better with voice chat. That way you could tell one person to take the tower while you go around and flank those defending it. I'm sure a lot of people try that strategy but some don't catch on due to the lack of communication. Nonetheless, it's still really fun.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
If you're using the carbon roller then yes, you die. I've been using Krak-on exclusively as of late and i've always managed to kill with in ON the tower if I have to.

I doubt people use the Dynamo for rolling anyway (I'm assuming that's the weapon you was arguing against).
What are you even on about? I use Dynamo. The tower blocks 50+% of your ink majority of the time. If you try and roll and squash the person on the tower next to you you bounce into them and nothing happens.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I'll point out that I wouldn't have gone down a rank if one game didn't give me only 8 points for absolutely no reason.
The amount of points you are awarded depends on the rank of the team you're playing against. If you're B- and win to a bunch of Cs and C-s, you only get 8 points because (in theory) it was an easy battle. Similarly, win against some B+/A-s and you'll get a boost for your excellent work.

Mister Chippy

Inkster Jr.
The amount of points you are awarded depends on the rank of the team you're playing against. If you're B- and win to a bunch of Cs and C-s, you only get 8 points because (in theory) it was an easy battle. Similarly, win against some B+/A-s and you'll get a boost for your excellent work.
Not quite, it has to do with the combined ranked points on both teams (which is why some games with the exact same letters on each team will give different amounts of points compared to other games with the same levels). If you're A or A+ you can get matched up with teams made entirely of B+ players and still get +10 because the rest of your team was all B-.

Power

Inkling Commander
After trying out tower control today with the splatterscope I was able to kill a lot and dominate matches at times. I was able to snipe out many people hiding and hovering around the tower, as they focused on rushing towards the tower unaware. Also while I myself am on the tower I was able to snipe people trying to get me. Furthermore, the massive amount of superjumps is insane, leading to more kills. If they get too close, I just dodge like crazy with bombs. Most of the time it was a kill. I had to be aggressive with the splatterscope though, and was able to come up in the clutch many times. I feel like these may be a good way to counter blasters, however my experience against them in this mode is limited.

Team coordination is definitely needed, as many times I had been on the tower fighting off enemies while my buddies were who knows where. Along with this, the final push needs a spam of specials and subs to get through a decently competent defense, meaning everyone has to be there with adequate specials.

I will be taking a break for a little while so it will be interesting to see how strategies and preferred choice of weapons develop. Keep on experimenting people. :D

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I love the massive Slaughter(Splat)fest to control the tower, which makes it so much and the fact that you can ride the tower like a dolphin and as Neptune King of the Sea towards the enemy base (oh the fun puns I make from this). Anyways, Tower Control whether you win or lose will always be fun in my heart but I'll play splat zones every now and than.

Box

Pro Squid
Tower control seems to be shaking up the ranks a bit. People who got to A+ over the last month from learning how to win zones aren't necessarily translating that over to tower. A+ rooms are a meat grinder of rollers, blasters, and tentateks. If you can just avoid being splatted every 15 seconds, you're doing better than most people right now.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
Is anyone else getting an ungodly amount of DC's tonight? Ranked is unplayable tonight. I've been DC'ed a total of 10 times in the last 3 hours. I can confirm this is not my connection as the same exact thing happened at my friend's house a few hours ago. I'm not going on ranked for tonight, I'm sick of losing points for no reason at all.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
Is anyone else getting an ungodly amount of DC's tonight? Ranked is unplayable tonight. I've been DC'ed a total of 10 times in the last 3 hours. I can confirm this is not my connection as the same exact thing happened at my friend's house a few hours ago. I'm not going on ranked for tonight, I'm sick of losing points for no reason at all.
If I get DC'd once in a Ranked match I just switch to Turf war to make sure it won't keep happening. And yeah, losing points because of the servers DOES suck. A lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom