• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Inkstrike and sprinkler are ridiculous good in splat zones.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
to sum up splat zones on opening night:

Everyone throws their corpses onto the point until someone wins. it's kind of funny actually, it seems like everyone has 30 FoV or something crazy.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
Splat zone ended up being king of the hill. It's a fun game type, but definitely want to see turf war incorporated into the ranked.

FuncDetail

Inkster Jr.
NNID
FuncDetail
So after a few matches I came to the conclusion that the Aerospray RG shines in Splat Zone.
Short range high rate of fire makes quick splats, then you place a mine which makes more people go splat then when you are about to lose the zone, you Inkstrike it to retake.
Aerospray RG is a good defensive loadout, a brilliant one.
I ranked up in absolutely no time.

PhoenixRiku

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SweeetPR
Overall I think this game mode is currently horrible for general public play. Hopefully people learn how to not do what Fightersword said and just basically suicide and hope they win. Would be good for competitive matches as you can actually build a composition that works.

Clayton-D

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Clayton-D
RIght now it feels like playing pub servers on TF2. Maybe it'll be a little more competitive at ranks above C.

Alexandoop

Inkling
NNID
TheUltraDeino
From what I played, I did not enjoy the mode at all. I actually turned off my wii u in the middle of my last match because I was sick of it already, here's my complaints:
-There's no option (at least I know of) to join friends, which makes no sense that the mode needing communication does not have an option to join friends while the mode that doesn't need communication (turf war) does.
-Too many matches what were 100-0
-Teammates would go to remote areas to spray stuff to charge their special when we need their goddamn help at the zone
-Whenever I tried to snipe my teammates would crowd my spot
-I REALLY hate how if you don't win or force overtime you get nothing, thanks for making me feel like I made no progress, at least give me points for my level

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
In Urchin Underpass, I've gotten a knockout every game by taking control early with splats, and then pushing into their territory instead of trying to defend the middle. Basically, I cut off their routes back into the action and make them waste time on that while our countdown timer ticks. May seem obvious, perhaps.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
In Urchin Underpass, I've gotten a knockout every game by taking control early with splats, and then pushing into their territory instead of trying to defend the middle. Basically, I cut off their routes back into the action and make them waste time on that while our countdown timer ticks. May seem obvious, perhaps.
well yeah, a lot of people stand around at the zone, but if you push up to the chokes you can defend the area much better, and if you die you have a little more time to get up before they can set up shop.

Life

Senior Squid
I did similarly, but then lost control because I camped between two areas and they all went through the third at once. Still won that game though.

For Saltspray, go down into zigzag and climb up the pipes on the enemy side. Nobody bothers with the bottom half of the map since the hill isn't down there, and by the time you climb up they'll have pushed into the center, so free ambush kills, and then everyone else on their team is still tunnel visioned on mid so you can head up into their charger nest and get control of that, and then you have control so you chill out up there and watch for their routes back to mid and probably get another free kill before someone finally manages to outsmart you by going around whichever side you aren't watching at the moment.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I don't like losing ranks because someone thought they were playing Turf War. Literally just had a match where a splat roller went and inked everywhere and never went to the middle. Even the part where neither teams would got to because it's so far from spawn point and the zone.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
The Gal weapons are great for Splatzones. .52 Gal brings both the Killer Wail and the Walls, the Deco brings the Ink Strike, and the .96 gal brings a Sprinkler. Not only that, but their power can take out foes quick. I will still need to see how well they do on the other maps, but so far I have been digging the Gal weapons in Splat Zones.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Splat Zones is hella intense, I guess it's to be expected being that you're so close most of the time, but it definitely feels a lot different from Turf Wars, which I already thought was insane.

MaikoRules

Full Squid
NNID
MaikoRules
Will ranked switch between different modes? it seems weird that its only Splatzone and not Turf Wars (which we've been practicing)

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Will ranked switch between different modes? it seems weird that its only Splatzone and not Turf Wars (which we've been practicing)
I'm pretty sure it's only for the more competitive modes, but more are being added in the future. I didn't think about it before, but now that you mention it, it would be cool to see Turf Wars available in Ranked Battle. It would make it more fun, I think.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Ranked will have three game modes: Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker. All of these modes are objective focused. Turf Wars will stay as Regular Battles, since it is the easiest mode to play and have fun with, and is suited for all skill levels.

Bobinsnos

Inkling
NNID
backward_n
This isn't that much of an issue in Turf War but I've played several matches in multiple rooms of Splat Zones where the reason my team either won or lost was because two people on a team dropped. Not only does that kind of loss infuriate me, but it also makes for hollow victories. The fact that there is no fail-safe for when that sort of thing happens to protect players' ranks from unearned downgrades is incredibly irritating.

Metal Slug

Level 30, Rank A+
NNID
MegiLuka
Seems to me like if you play with your most comfortable with you can do well. Each weapon has a very distinct way to play them. Find it and you do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom