• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
the resident land snail now has an opinion

splat zones are great fun and addictive with their huge payouts and fast speed, i've won a few matches with the aerospray RG. i'd go as far to say that the inkstrike super is almost vital in this gamemode, because you can both squash the enemy team and take the territory from right under their tentacles. quad inkstrike users and you've got an insane advantage going, if parties become a thing i think we'll see a lot of that

i've gotten some great wins by charging up back at base then firing off the inkstrike and charging in to mop up whoever dodged it and dropping a mine in the enemy chokepoint on underpass, seems like not many people run the bomb sniffer boots or just don't notice

seekers are a pain in the butt in tight spaces, they're too fast to dodge at close range and i can see why people hide in the ink then pop seekers before engaging in the firefight

rollers are great for this mode since they cover so much turf but with the sheer number of shooters it's easy for them to either succeed or get shot down

-10 for no payout to losers, it's going to put people off a fair bit

edit: nintendo add option to kick players up the *** if they ink base without a viable super

samuroleon

Inkling
NNID
samuroleon
I feel that I need to use a different weapon for splat zones as I feel the aerospray just isn't working because it's more combat oriented. .52 gal deco was working better for me

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I think the main issue with Splat Zones right now and the reasons teams are one-sided is because every person including higher calbur players are all at C rank. This could be the cause of "bad" team balance as the game will put you with players of the same rank. Another issue I see is the fact that a bad team brings down your score. This issue actually seems to be a killer for some as if your on a few bad teams then you can be completely dropped down a tier for something out of your control. It's confuses me because during the direct they said "your rank will be based on your skill, and your skill alone". I really like the idea behind this mode but I think this is much more suited for battles with your designated squad, as team coordination is more important. I think that when August comes around and we are able to play with our friends this mode will be a ton of fun, and it might even become part of the basic competitive format.

Pink♡Ink☆RAVE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StrawberryGynoid
Oh wow, this is all so challenging. I was doing so good but I'm winning and losing almost an equal amount of times.

The roller seems to be working okay, I'm winning more games than I'm losing. But it's hard and challenging!

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Posted this in the wrong section by mistake...lol

So, what do you guys think are the ideal Splat Zone weapons and abilities?

I think it is very clear, that splat zone is a completely different beast; compared to turf war. So much so, that you may consider switching weapons for different specials, maybe for better CC and or even grinding a whole new outfit. What have you guys seen doing well in this mode and what has worked well for you?

For specials, I think anything with ink strike or bomb rush does exceptional well. Beacons are even more amazing here. Long range weapons have a lot more purpose in this mode, since they really shine at locking down the choke points.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Posted this in the wrong section by mistake...lol

So, what do you guys think are the ideal Splat Zone weapons and abilities?

I think it is very clear, that splat zone is a completely different beast; compared to turf war. So much so, that you may consider switching weapons for different specials, maybe for better CC and or even grinding a whole new outfit. What have you guys seen doing well in this mode and what has worked well for you?

For specials, I think anything with ink strike or bomb rush does exceptional well. Beacons are even more amazing here. Long range weapons have a lot more purpose in this mode, since they really shine at locking down the choke points.
I found that each of the Gal weapons offers a little something to Splat Zones. .52 Gal gives you both the Wall and the Killer Wail, the Deco gives you the Ink Strike, and the .96 Gal gives you a sprinkler and range.

The way I see it, the more effective your weapon is in combat, the better it is going to be on Splat Zones.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I think Killer Whale is pretty good too, as it can scatter enemy players off the point.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Inkstrike and Inkzooka are mandatory imo. I've had success switching to Tentakek Splatshotter, as Suction Bombs are surprisingly good and Inkzooka is really, really good at keeping them back/devastating from high grounds.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Anyone saying this mode is trash hasn't played King of the Hill in another game before. It's crazy intense in Splatoon.

At least on Saltspray Rig/Urchin Underpass I was able to flank around and take out anyone "camping" in a certain spot and take back the point.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I was impressed at how smartly everyone was playing. Have played many a match in Team Fortress 2 with randoms where people act much more stupidly.
Or maybe they just don't like the mode. You know, people have opinions and stuff.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I haven't played this yet, but seeing in the comments that aerospray is bad, it heart breaks me.
The RG variant isn't so bad here. The ink mine does work on people using beacons and just in general. Ink strike is beyond good in this mode. The gun its self, isn't as amazing in this mode however. The MG has the zoka, which is great. The seeker is decent at best and the MG is as good as the RG, as far as, how useful the actual gun is. I mean, the MG has +4 range and +1 more DMG than the RG, but that's it.

I do think there are better kits for this mode, however.

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Here are some things that I noted:

1. A completely different meta. Chargers are totally viable and are amazingly fun. Rollers are significantly less useful.

2. A much stronger focus on splatting players. Getting inklings in a splat zone has a great chance (with the huge ink splat in your favor) to outright take the zone if its being contested.

3. A lot more thoughtful, positional play. Unlike turf wars, there's a lot more deliberation around movement and firing, and a larger emphasis on stealth.

4. Individual players matter a LOT more. I can actually just straight carry my team now by focusing on K:D around the Splat Zone. I expect this will even out as I can find better people to play with (i.e. I get up to the rank that actually makes sense)

5. Saltspray rig favors the defending team VERY heavily. Probably should be banned when we start doing tournies.

6. I'm having a LOT of fun. It's inkredibly intense.

7. After dozens of matches, I still don't fully understand the ruleset.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
I love the mode don't get me wrong. It is a lot more based on kills which is cool. But, it kind of is who has the better team of randoms wins. Which kind of sucks that you can't party and find other partied teams to make it more competitive. But overall I think it is a cool addition to the game.

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Opening Gambit is a must for this mode. Whether you're going to bum rush the Splat Zone or set up vantage points, getting there first is crucial.

I'm also finding a good balance of Echolocator/Inkstrike, Bubbler/Sprinkler/Splash Wall and the optional Kraken/Killer Wail to be a good balance.
I dunno. I really want someone to test out how effective Opening Gambit is. When I used it, it didn't feel like it was giving me any kind of advantage, especially since I can get to key areas pretty quickly already.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
5. Saltspray rig favors the defending team VERY heavily. Probably should be banned when we start doing tournies.
Lol, come on. Can't believe people will really get into the banning stuff from the game territory.

(also, chargers are totally viable in turf wars, not only in splat zones)

PerfektNerD

The Villain You Need
NNID
Perfekt
Lol, come on. Can't believe people will really get into the banning stuff from the game territory.

(also, chargers are totally viable in turf wars, not only in splat zones)
I was kinda trolling with that last one lol.

Also I agree, they are totally viable in Turf Wars, but they're much more suited for the type of play that Splat Zones inspires.

Sak

Inkling
NNID
Sakelig
HOLY fuq splat zones is the worse **** and its ranked smh. takes away all skill from turf and makes it a special based mode with the smallest box i have ever seen. If u want to play a game where everyone is camping and waiting for u to kill you or/and take the box only to inkstrike it right back then u will love this ****. The whole problem is that the maps are so small that there are only two ways to actuly get to this zone where you have to ink to win. it can easy be stopped by jut simply ink on their way there and they will have no chance on even getting out. (based on my first game on saltsspray rig)

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
HOLY fuq splat zones is the worse **** and its ranked smh. takes away all skill from turf and makes it a special based mode with the smallest box i have ever seen. If u want to play a game where everyone is camping and waiting for u to kill you or/and take the box only to inkstrike it right back then u will love this ****. The whole problem is that the maps are so small that there are only two ways to actuly get to this zone where you have to ink to win. it can easy be stopped by jut simply ink on their way there and they will have no chance on even getting out. (based on my first game on saltsspray rig)
Keep playing then. You can't really judge something accurately if you are basing it off of first impressions.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
I like Ranked Battles, it really feels like a different game. Personally, i stay back for a while, charging my inkstrike and trying to block the enemies areas with it (i also use the ink mines for this).

I haven't tried a Charger in this mode (no my favorite weapon) but maybe i should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom