• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Splat Zones is garbage. What a huge waste of my time.
eh, maybe a little harsh. I think the game mode is alright, I think the players playing it are garbage and make it look like clusterfucky trash. Most king of the hill game modes are like that at low player skill level tbh. But yes, tonight it's been a little painful, if not humorous, to watch how they (most players) are playing it.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
With only two game modes and six rotating maps, it feels more like a glorified beta. I can't even imagine what the entire game will play like what's it's all been revealed. I'm already loving this and can't stop playing!

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Splat Zones is amazing. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in a LONG time

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
I wish people'd stop painting the near-platform on Saltspray. It is literally useless in Splat Zone--it doesn't cut off enemy movement, it's too far from the zone to affect the outcome, and it offers no additional points. Best you can say is that it helps load up the special a bit faster if you can't make it to the far platform. Waste of time otherwise.

As for the mode itself: much more like a traditional FPS, in that its centralized focus forces direct PVP engagements and minimal map play. I don't like it nearly as much as Turf War, but I do see the appeal for veteran FPS players. Splat Wall weapons might be uniquely powerful here, though.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
Opening Gambit is a must for this mode. Whether you're going to bum rush the Splat Zone or set up vantage points, getting there first is crucial.

I'm also finding a good balance of Echolocator/Inkstrike, Bubbler/Sprinkler/Splash Wall and the optional Kraken/Killer Wail to be a good balance.

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
At the moment I'm having difficulty enjoying this mode. If not only because it makes me crave the one thing we lack more and more. A party system.

I've been attempting to grind out to B- and all my games have been one sided. It seems as if this game mode can end up being extremely one sided from the very first second. When a team locks down the zone if they are already properly set up with vantage points or take out your teammates, and yourself it is ultimately the end of that game. It is terribly hard to recover. Even after you break the zone if you aren't able to capture it you still have very slim chance of recovering.

I feel that at least until parties are enabled this mode will not truly flourish. '

I also personally have been favoring the chargers in this gamemode as less people have been playing them in my matches and I have found myself wanting them more often as they are able to create straight paths towards the Zone almost immediately depending on the map. They are also good at keeping the opponents off of the zone especially once you've taken control over key choke points and identified the direction they are attempting o come from. Seeing as chargers(splatterscope) are not my first choice of weapon I have been having slight difficulties with getting successful matches with them, but its just frustrating because I feel that with parties my charger play would become much better.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
[QUOTE="swifT, post: 32256, member: 3219"

I also personally have been favoring the chargers in this gamemode as less people have been playing them in my matches and I have found myself wanting them more often as they are able to create straight paths towards the Zone almost immediately depending on the map. They are also good at keeping the opponents off of the zone especially once you've taken control over key choke points and identified the direction they are attempting o come from. Seeing as chargers(splatterscope) are not my first choice of weapon I have been having slight difficulties with getting successful matches with them, but its just frustrating because I feel that with parties my charger play would become much better.[/QUOTE]

That has not been my experience at all with ranked. It's just been the better slaying team winning the game. I'll agree that positional advantage is huge, and getting a setup is crucial, but at the same time those same examples make comebacks possible.

If you break an opponents setup one time, say with a inkstrike, and get a setup you can easily comeback. I've had a good amount of comebacks already and I'm at B-

swifT

Octarian Legion Founder | Luna is my Daughter
NNID
swiftea
That has not been my experience at all with ranked. It's just been the better slaying team winning the game. I'll agree that positional advantage is huge, and getting a setup is crucial, but at the same time those same examples make comebacks possible.

If you break an opponents setup one time, say with a inkstrike, and get a setup you can easily comeback. I've had a good amount of comebacks already and I'm at B-
I suppose we have had two different experiences then, but I still have the same feelings. Especially in this gamemode breaking their setup one time sounds easy on paper, especially when we think about this game modes future with a party system in play, but atm we lack that, and I have been finding it difficult to pull off with the players I'm pared with. I've had about 2 or 3 close games out of the multitude that I've played. Now dont misunderstand my words. I'm not saying comebacks are impossible in the slightest in either game mode. I'm just saying that atm they moment they are much harder to come by, at least for myself.

Regardless I feel that Turf War suffers from similar issues. The wait for a party system continues. Considering I wasn't even expecting ranked until august I cant say I'm upset and will continue to be as patient as possible.

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I find ranked battle to be absolutely infuriating with bad teammates and no communication. :(

IttyBit

Inkster Jr.
NNID
IttyBit
The lack of a party mode is slowly bothering me more and more. This mode specifically is really starting to remind me how we really should have had a party mode at day one.
I like the idea of the mode, but as it stands, it's a little bit too frustrating to get into at the moment. I'm probably gonna wait it out a bit longer until I can play with my friends, as I've never really been good at any "King of the hill" type matches, and playing on my own is just not that fun to me.

Kumatora

Inkling
NNID
ChieSatonaka
I find ranked battle to be absolutely infuriating with bad teammates and no communication. :(
Yup.. Got to C and just about to C+ when suddenly I felt like I was repeatedly being put against stacked teams, in addition my team didn't really seem to know what they were doing. I haven't won a game since my first hour of play just because of how infuriating it is, and I've done my best to just avoid it altogether because it makes me incredibly salty. Unfortunate because I thought I would love ranked mode, and I did for the first hour or two of play, but then games started to get extremely one-sided (and usually in the favor of the other team) and the game goes from being an intense, all-out match to just a really salty mode where you barely get to play at all because you're repeatedly being shot down when trying to jump in (and yes, I use Stealth Jump) But yeah.. I don't think I'll be playing much more of Ranked Battle until we have either new modes or custom lobbies. I personally really wish there was Turf Wars ranked because I absolutely love that mode, but I guess the developers don't consider it a competitive mode (which kind of sucks - the one really unique mode in the game and you can't even play it ranked - we're stuck playing Hardpoint Domination without any team communication or option of playing with friends/parties)

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Has anyone else noticed overtime?? I've hand a handful of battles go into where I'm on the losing team but still get points in overtime. Anyone know how that works? I know it usually goes OT for close matches until one team finally gets the upper hand but not sure why the losing team still gets points and if the points are for kills or spray.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
I believe Overtime starts if the 3-minute timer is up, and neither team controls the Splat Zone at that time,

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splat Zones is garbage. What a huge waste of my time.
It is not that bad. In fact, I find it a pretty good mode, but turf wars is still a bit better to me.

The worse things about splat zones to me:

1. Certain weapons aren't even worth picking, which is a shame
2. Ranking is silly
3. Getting nothing when losing is a bit extreme. One can argue "you lost, you aren't entitled to points/whatever", which is a valid point of view, but giving the losing team at least a few points is a good way to encourage them to keep playing, I think.

Jehtt

Inkling
NNID
TurboJett
I wish Turf Wars could be played as an option for ranked battles. The new mode is too hard to enjoy without the ability to form a proper group.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
splat zones look like some hardcore **** just from watching them streamed online, dang

i think i'll hold off for a day or two, wait 'til people have practiced and gotten the hang of it

Pink♡Ink☆RAVE

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StrawberryGynoid
At first I was doing just terrible. I was losing all of my matches and not helping out much at all. I even tried changing to other weapons from my roller because I thought maybe rollers weren't viable for ranked battles. But I did even worse.

But after a little practice, I'm getting better! I just started, but I'm also so close to Rank B!

Last edited:

thefro

Full Squid
Anyone saying this mode is trash hasn't played King of the Hill in another game before. It's crazy intense in Splatoon.

At least on Saltspray Rig/Urchin Underpass I was able to flank around and take out anyone "camping" in a certain spot and take back the point.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I was impressed at how smartly everyone was playing. Have played many a match in Team Fortress 2 with randoms where people act much more stupidly.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
The Kelp Charger is great in this mode, you can snipe the enemy from a distance, use the sprinkler to help gain/keep control of the zone (and counter inkstrikes), then pull out a Killer Whale when you fill the special meter to force the enemy away. I try to not spend too much time in the splatzone itself, if you get splattered it spreads enemy ink, so getting splattered in the splat zone can give your enemy the opening they need to grab the lead.

One time I set myself up on the enemy side platform in Urchin Underpass after seeing the enemy try to use ours, it was really effective. They didn't use their side platform at all, so I got a free sniper nest in the perfect position to shut down enemy approaches, though obviously they still tried to splat me. A lot of people were subject to tunnel vision, not realizing the map had multiple approaches to use/worry about.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
After climbing really fast to C+ 80 points I've been unable to climb... I saw an ally just sit in base during 1 minute painting it. How are we supposed to win with players like this playing? Please.

Also had to switch away from Aerospray RG to Tentakek Splattershot. Man, Aerospray is so bad in this game mode imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom