• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

sammich

Inkling Cadet
it's a bit hellish on arowana and saltspray. after they updated saltspray for tower control you'd have through they'd put the rainmaker in the upper area. they don't. they put it right in front of the first choke so you only use half the stage.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
Hate this gamemode so much. Even more hectic than TC. Plus, the shield can kill you! What?

Shalnark

Full Squid
I hate playing Blackbelly Skatepark in Splat Zones. Every time I try to ink one zone, there is a chance that the enemies will ink the other zone, and the cycle repeats.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
the point system is horrible.

they clearly tried to fix the bullshit that was before, but it's still nonsensical. too much emphasis on arbitrary ranks that you can't hold because you have to be better than your rank to break even. not enough value on what actually happens in the battles.

it rewards length in battle for the OTHER leveling system (the one that doesn't make a difference). so why doesn't it put any kind of reward for those? also would make a good reward system: kill/death, inking the zone, carrying the rainmaker (taking it far), stopping the tower, stopping the rainmaker, riding the tower, knocking out all 4 enemies... also a bonus for losing a team member (less points if you lose, more if you somehow win)

also, WHYYYY arowana and saltspray rainmaker again. i just played those before i went to bed.

Last edited:

Benjamin Hellcat

Inkster Jr.
NNID
H3llcat
I hate playing Blackbelly Skatepark in Splat Zones. Every time I try to ink one zone, there is a chance that the enemies will ink the other zone, and the cycle repeats.
I understand. The other day, i swear it was me and one guy from the other team just going back and forth... not sure where our teams were. It was kinda funny really. As soon as i ink one side, the other side would be enemy ink... so i'd ink it just as my original side would change color... repeated like four times before his team showed up and i was splatted.

Icedchoffee

Inkling
NNID
Icedchoffee
the ranking system is broken. you can be the best in the world but if your team is trash you won't raise in rank. something needs to change. it should give you points based on K/D, how much you've helped towards the victory like rainmaker (how close you brought the rainmaker or if you scored) and other things. right now the ranking system is garbage and you could be complete trash at the game but if you are lucky enough to have a good team for a while, you can be in rank A with absolutely no skill.

Charlight

Meme Spy
the ranking system is broken. you can be the best in the world but if your team is trash you won't raise in rank. something needs to change. it should give you points based on K/D, how much you've helped towards the victory like rainmaker (how close you brought the rainmaker or if you scored) and other things. right now the ranking system is garbage and you could be complete trash at the game but if you are lucky enough to have a good team for a while, you can be in rank A with absolutely no skill.
In single player ranked, it eventually evens out. Teams are random, meaning you probably won't be on the same team in the same room every time. If you're lucky enough you might get carried a few matches but in the end, if you're ****, you're not gonna go up in rank.

In squad battles though you *can* get carried up to A+. Essentially, at the moment you can get to S without knowing how to play the game. Squad until A+99, then get lucky in a single ranked game.

Zing

Inkling
NNID
dcorban
Dear Sir/Madam,

How could one simultaneously be "best in the world" and not raise in rank, yet reach rank A with "absolutely no skill"? If you postulate that your rank reflects your ability to integrate with teammates of similar ability, then you are correct. This is a team-based game. Solely rewarding individual ability would result in few players working toward the team objective. Who would ride the tower if the game only rewarded splatting opponents? How does one judge a player's contribution in rainmaker? Was the player who inked the path ahead of the rainmaker responsible for the win, or was it the player who kept the opponents distracted during the final run?

The ranking system is far from "broken" or "garbage". Chance also plays a minimal role, as the number of games played presents you with an average selection of the player base over time. Furthermore, all players are exposed to the same player base, and therefore the same average teammate and opponent skill,

I assure you that no one of rank A has "absolutely no skill". I challenge you to play a few matches with players of rank C, then again with players of rank A, and report your findings. If you are finding that you are not gaining rank, might I suggest you look inward amd focus your energy on improving rather than blindly assuming that something is wrong with the system. In other words, "git gud".

Sincerely,
Bill S. Preston, Esq.

Reactions: 1o2

Icedchoffee

Inkling
NNID
Icedchoffee
Dear Sir/Madam,

How could one simultaneously be "best in the world" and not raise in rank, yet reach rank A with "absolutely no skill"? If you postulate that your rank reflects your ability to integrate with teammates of similar ability, then you are correct. This is a team-based game. Solely rewarding individual ability would result in few players working toward the team objective. Who would ride the tower if the game only rewarded splatting opponents? How does one judge a player's contribution in rainmaker? Was the player who inked the path ahead of the rainmaker responsible for the win, or was it the player who kept the opponents distracted during the final run?

The ranking system is far from "broken" or "garbage". Chance also plays a minimal role, as the number of games played presents you with an average selection of the player base over time. Furthermore, all players are exposed to the same player base, and therefore the same average teammate and opponent skill,

I assure you that no one of rank A has "absolutely no skill". I challenge you to play a few matches with players of rank C, then again with players of rank A, and report your findings. If you are finding that you are not gaining rank, might I suggest you look inward amd focus your energy on improving rather than blindly assuming that something is wrong with the system. In other words, "git gud".

Sincerely,
Bill S. Preston, Esq.

okay lmao you gotta chill out hahahahahahahahaa this ranking system is flawed how about that. why don't you get off these forums and take a breather. i "assure" you that many people think this as well and how since everyone will not be the greatest at the game, they be considerate of the people with skill to allow them to get where they need to be.......at the higher ranks. one person can only do so much in a 4v4 and frankly, having 3 teammates that are not up to par, doesn't allow you to win. i have played many, many, many games and have only gotten up to B- when i could have easily been at the A rank, where i belong, if the ranking system wasn't primarily team based. honestly, you don't seem that good yourself by the way you respond to opinionated posts. you need some therapy or anger management my friend good day.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I <3 the Luna Blaster. With one damage up main and three damage up subs you can destroy the Rainmaker Shield with just three direct shots. The same applies to Blaster/Custom Blaster.

Luna Blaster for life.

unforgiven

Inkster Jr.
I had a great winning streak. I was at A98.
Next game is Kelp Dome (Tower Control).

We scored 99 and the opposite team managed to KO us.
Never a game has made me so furious. That and the fact I get on ****ty teams or my team don't have a varied selection of weapon.

Every time I win, it's +8 or +10.
Every time I lose, it's -12 or -14.

It's hell.

edit: Here's an album of my progress...

Last edited:

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I've not tried the rainmaker mode much since it arrived. How viable are the slosher and custom blaster? I use these both for TC and Splatzone depending on the maps. I have a feeling I need a different weapon and sub/specials for rainmaker.

mobilisq

Inkling
NNID
mobilisq
I've had a decent amount of success with the slosher by focusing exclusively on taking a supportive role. I don't go out of my way to break the rainmaker shield, and focus instead on splatting enemies for crowd control and carefully choosing where to place ink strikes to blaze a path for whomever is carrying the rainmaker.

As for those of you complaining about the ranking system: sure it has some flaws, but this game is almost entirely team focused. The ranking system is devised to encourage you to actually work together as a team to achieve results. Everyone here had lamented when they get people who don't follow the group. If you lose a match just leave and try again with a new group. If you do want to be a one man army, play turf war instead of ranked

mobilisq

Inkling
NNID
mobilisq
Aww man you can't delete a post if you accidentally hit submit twice? Ah well

ToonStink

Inkling
NNID
ToonStink
I tend to not play ranked when it's rainmaker. Too many team mates grab the RM and run it towards our base.

Betterbye

Inkling
Yaw.

I'm new to this forum but not new to the game, and I must admit that this game mode sucks big time. One does not simply rise in rank when, time after time, you're the only one in your team who actually knows what the game is all about yet you never get to get any recognition whatsoever.

Yes, yes. I know. Mathematically, the odds for winning are the same for everybody regardless of one's level of skill. The universe just tends to hate me everytime I try to crawl myself out of the scrub pool. It's such a shame that brushes have no power here.

unforgiven

Inkster Jr.
Yaw.
I'm new to this forum but not new to the game, and I must admit that this game mode sucks big time. One does not simply rise in rank when, time after time, you're the only one in your team who actually knows what the game is all about yet you never get to get any recognition whatsoever.
Well, if you're new to this mode, so are everyone else playing with you.
Between C- and C+ is going to be an easy ride if you're good at killing the opposite team.

Rainmaker would be the worst mode to pick.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I like Rainmaker and Tower Control way more than Splat Zones.

Started using the Mini Splatling as my go-to weapon for Ranked (Heavy Splatling seems better for Splat Zones because ranged suppression and Splash Wall chokes). The Tentatek-esque sub-special combo is stronk, and the Mini Splatling itself is an effective weapon.

Rainmaker seems to reward a certain amount of aggression and daring. I've made a few touchdowns with the Rainmaker because I got daring and just CHARGED the enemy-side pedestal, and supported some rainmaker bearers by inking the path to victory for them. It's hilarious to see the Rainmaker start on the high grating bridge right smack in the middle of Flounder Heights because it's possible to troll the enemy by sticking Suctions under the bridge to kill them as they make their way to grab it. I suspect US players will start applying American Football-esque techniques for charging straight for the touchdown.

Tower Control is intense, although I hate playing this mode on Moray Heights because it's too easy to get knocked off the tower AND the map when riding the tower.

nasalfire

Inkling
Had a rainmaker match where a minute in, I noticed that 2 of my teammates dc'd. At that point, I just hoped to prevent a knockout loss. Whenever both of us got splatted, I had a moment of panic. After being splatted by the same 2 squids, I noticed that the other team had 2 dc's as well, creating a 2-2 match.

Then my teammate and I came back to win in overtime. That sure was an interesting match. Flounder Heights sure feels empty with only 4 squids total running around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom