Ranked Battle (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker) Discussion

Redx115

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Redzone115
I have hard time with control the tower , IDK way I'm looking up tips and tricks on the subject I just can't do anything.
Is it me? is it my team ? or both? o_O
Well the team is definitely one factor. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're stuck with below average teammates. Try a blaster or something with a suction bomb.

Imogine

Inkling
NNID
Imogine
I genuinely don't understand how ranked points work.

I was on a team that was A- A- A A and the opposing team was A+ A+ A A- ..... and we beat them and only got 8 points? When just the previous round I had been on a team with one A+ and beaten a team with no A+ and gotten 12? I'm really confused.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I genuinely don't understand how ranked points work.

I was on a team that was A- A- A A and the opposing team was A+ A+ A A- ..... and we beat them and only got 8 points? When just the previous round I had been on a team with one A+ and beaten a team with no A+ and gotten 12? I'm really confused.
No need to be confused, it's annoying at best. It's my belief that we won't hear any real explanation for the point system because it would reveal that ranked battle matching has an agenda.

In any case I've experienced the inconsistent point awards/deductions so many times that I always expect it :) No less frustrating though.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
Welp... ranked is officially no longer fun to me. In A to S ranks, every match is determined by who has more Gal. and E-Liter weapons on their team. And part of the fun of Splatoon to me was always weapon diversity. Now unless you play one of those weapons too, good luck. It'll be a struggle if you want to win. To me, that's not really fun. At first, just like everyone else, I wanted to be in the highest rank I could, but now I'm not so sure I do afterall. So... what am I supposed to do now?

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Welp... ranked is officially no longer fun to me. In A to S ranks, every match is determined by who has more Gal. and E-Liter weapons on their team. And part of the fun of Splatoon to me was always weapon diversity. Now unless you play one of those weapons too, good luck. It'll be a struggle if you want to win. To me, that's not really fun. At first, just like everyone else, I wanted to be in the highest rank I could, but now I'm not so sure I do afterall. So... what am I supposed to do now?
Ranked is becoming increasingly unfun for me too (for a different reason though). What's your main? You could always switch your main :) Tentatek/octoshots often do well and I'll see krak-on and dynamo rollers with massive amounts of splats. And blasters as well. And I've seen fantastic octobrush players and even aerosprays.

All you can really do is use what fits for you and see if you can overcome those other weapons. If I see 96 gals and elitres on the other team I know I'll have to adjust my play when I'm using the Luna Blaster Neo.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
That's the point though... I don't wanna have to switch mains just so I stand a chance. I guess I'm not really sure how "to adjust my play" for that. It doesn't really feel like there is any feasible answer for those weapons. I guess it could just be a problem for me personally.

Last edited:

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
That's the point though... I don't wanna have to switch mains just so I stand a chance. I guess I'm not really sure how "to adjust my play" for that. It doesn't really feel like there is any feasible answer for those weapons. I guess it could just be a problem for me personally.
What's your main?

With adjusting my play, for instance, I'll be more careful about where I am. If there are no long range weapons you have more places you can safely be. If I know a good sniper is at large I'll avoid being in his/her line of sight. That's an obvious adjustment. A more difficult adjustment would be trying to position myself to be able to get close to the sniper to splat him at an offset using the Luna Blaster. But the main thing is assessing where the pressure is coming from—i.e. is the sniper stopping your tower pushes?—and try and devise a strategy to get that sniper, or at least push them back or make them reposition so your team has a chance.

Just some thoughts...not sure if it helps.

Ice-Fisher

Inkling
NNID
Ice-Man
I'm seriously anoyed with ranked latley. Around December I was at S+ 47 and now Im at A+ 78 struggling to get back to S (I usually bounce between S25 and S80) its like every time I reach A+ 90's I get a team with all A or A-'s vs a team of all S's and the loss almost always gives me -12 while wins ony go for +5 or 8

What sickos thought of that points system.

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that sometimes you are forced to use certain weapons if you want to advance or simply keep your rank, I main the octobrushes but sadly they can't carry a team with A.poor aim or B.limited range so random matchmaking screws me over a ton if I get the wrong teammates. The only reason I reached S+ was because I also main the splatling line and luckily that can carry a team.

Even then I found myself forced to pick up an eliter and have become what I hate(no offense to charger users) but I often find myself getting those super annoying shots that I as an octobrush main have come to hate, jump shots, snapshots, even those dreaded "dang I thought I doged that by running behind a corner but still got splatted anyway" shots

-end rant

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
What's your main?

With adjusting my play, for instance, I'll be more careful about where I am. If there are no long range weapons you have more places you can safely be. If I know a good sniper is at large I'll avoid being in his/her line of sight. That's an obvious adjustment. A more difficult adjustment would be trying to position myself to be able to get close to the sniper to splat him at an offset using the Luna Blaster. But the main thing is assessing where the pressure is coming from—i.e. is the sniper stopping your tower pushes?—and try and devise a strategy to get that sniper, or at least push them back or make them reposition so your team has a chance.

Just some thoughts...not sure if it helps.
Generally the Custom/Dual Squelcher. If I use Vanilla, sometimes tossing a bomb into a Splash Wall or sniping perch helps, but I don't have a lot of options if a Gal. decides to chase me down or throw a Splash Wall in my face, especially the 96 which pretty much has the same range anyway. And if an E-Liter is out for blood, I don't have many approach options except use my team mates as distractions, but as soon as they spot me they'll usually go for me first since they know I can sorta reach them. I definitely try to take them out if possible though, to help out the team. Other than that I'm not really sure what to do, except keep providing support and hoping my team can actually do something.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
Generally the Custom/Dual Squelcher. If I use Vanilla, sometimes tossing a bomb into a Splash Wall or sniping perch helps, but I don't have a lot of options if a Gal. decides to chase me down or throw a Splash Wall in my face, especially the 96 which pretty much has the same range anyway. And if an E-Liter is out for blood, I don't have many approach options except use my team mates as distractions, but as soon as they spot me they'll usually go for me first since they know I can sorta reach them. I definitely try to take them out if possible though, to help out the team. Other than that I'm not really sure what to do, except keep providing support and hoping my team can actually do something.
I'd like to give great advice but I'm bad at the squelchers so I can't :) I know I don't like it when a good one is on the other team though.

I'm not sure if this will help but here's a video of the gamer Fow using the jet squelcher and custom jet squelcher. Maybe it'll give some pointers.

Quilavaflare

Senior Squid
NNID
Quilavaflare
I'd like to give great advice but I'm bad at the squelchers so I can't :) I know I don't like it when a good one is on the other team though.

I'm not sure if this will help but here's a video of the gamer Fow using the jet squelcher and custom jet squelcher. Maybe it'll give some pointers.

I was mostly referring to the Dual Squelcher sets, which play more like shooters than their Squelcher cousins. I know what you mean, I do feel kind of bad when someone is struggling to get away but I keep on spraying away anyway. Only not really because that's what I'm supposed to do.

Fow is pretty cool, I do play Custom Jet Squelcher sometimes, so I'll be sure to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Baron16Jumpen

Inkling
NNID
Baron16Jumpen
In splat zones
When the enemy captures the zones after your team taken it. Does it feel like the enemy points decline faster than when your team had the zone?

Awesome98911

Inkling
NNID
Schaefl14
It seems that whenever I do tower control, one team gets the tower, and the other team can't get it back. I think that's why that's my least favorite ranked mode.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Btw i don't know if this is used much, nor if it was said in this thread. (12 pages!!!)
There is something real fun that you can do in RM.
Running triple Swimming Speed up Mains!

"Yes we have the Rainmaker lets push we are only 5 points away!!! What? Team? Help me out here!" *Gets splatted and loses the match*
Well you can avoid that problem (not entirely) by running 3 Swimming speed up mains!
Step 1: Equip your Swimming Speed up gear

Step 2: Wait until Rainmaker is in rotation

Step 3(Optional but handy): instead of rushing to the Rainmaker, rush into the enemy base and paint a starter path for your to rush in later

Step 4: Try to get the Rainmaker as fast as possible and if your teammate has the Rainmaker then paint a different path and try to support your team as much as possible (duh)

Step 5: Welp you have the Rainmaker, what now? First camp at on spot and try to get a kill or two. (not needed if your team supported you well.) and then rush to the path you just painted!

Step 6(Optional): Profitz

But on a serious note though, this "strategy" works for me. You just go so blazing fast that even your teammates can't keep up!
You can also run some Ink Resistance so enemy ink doesn't slow you down that much or some Quick respawn so you can just harass the team with your "super sanic speed" Although I like the Triple Up more you could find some space.

And... I'm a limbo player in B+ and A- and i'm B+ at the moment. I'm not that skilled so this could or could not work in higher level play.
I thought it was fun to share it with you guys.

Well, have a nice day

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
Holding the Rainmaker reduces your run and swim speed by 20%, so until you get 4+ mains of Swim Speed Up, you'll be moving significantly more slowly than someone with no equipment changes.

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
so i go at 17,5% faster then everyone? or does the rainmaker just cancel out your swim speed up gear

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
If you have 3 Mains and 9 Subs of Swim Speed Up, you will swim at 125% of your normal speed (1.25x faster than normal). Ability boosts have diminishing returns, so while one Main will get you to ~107%, a second will get you to ~112%, and so on.

Holding the Rainmaker (or being in Kraken form) brings whatever your speed is and multiplies it by 0.8, lowering you to 80% of what your current speed is. That person with nothing but Swim Speed Up on everything would go (1.25 * 0.8), which, now that I do the math, is 1.

In the time I typed this, I learned that there is no situation where the person holding the Rainmaker swims faster than someone with no gear modifiers.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
wow it's was like a lucky coin or something. Because i played much better with 3 swim up. well atleast you can get really fast to the rainmaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom