• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Regular Battle (Turf War) Discussion

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
Turf wars are nice... :-0 idk I try to use new weapons but if I suck enough.... I never use them again... lmao
Also I love when I get to SO HAWT!! and then I'm SUDDENLY BACK TO CHILL!!!! YEAH LOVE THAT :-))))))))

Okajin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Okajin
I mainly play turf wars for experiencing new weapons, trying to look if they fit with my playstyle and my stuff (I'm using different stuff for different weapons) and to be used to the maps globally. I tend to rush because I'm an agressive player, I like to put pressure on my opponents. It's a good introduction to competitive splatoon too because if you don't have any teamwork you can't do some 1v4 rambo style !

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I honestly like the general openness of turf war better than ranked modes. With turf wars, painting is put on emphasis and every corner. In ranked, action is usually concentrated around a single area. Turf war generally seems to have more varied strategy and makes map control even more important.

Terramax

Inkling
OK, first time post, and I know this is kind of a rant (good way to start), but I gotta ask this question.

What is it with teams / players that all bunch together (don't split up), particularly during the last moments of the match?

Bunching together makes it much easier for the enemy team to use specials which will wipe you all out.

So many times, particularly during the last 30 or so seconds, when the enemy has up to 70% of the playing field, I've seen all 3 other members of my team stick in the same small area, usually close to our base, and they continuously all get wiped out in one fell swoop because they're too close together, and the enemy can always exact where they are on the map.

The best strategy, IMO, is to all split up, go for broke, and just push out in as many directions and splat as much of the arena as you can whilst avoiding confrontation with the enemy. Remain unpredictable and evasive.

Time and time again I see people clamouring together, and I've yet to see it pay off. On the contrary, teams to take my strategy, or follow my lead, tend to expand the amount of the area we own dramatically in those last moments.

alx

Inkling
NNID
alx
Had some awesome Turf War games just a few minutes ago. Everyone one our team and the opposing team just met up in the middle doing weird stuff like jumping around sinking into the ink and coming up again really fast, I was laughing out loud.
Whoever you guys were, you were awesome lol. Only had this game about a month but I'm liking the community so far.

Lorbeerprinz

Full Squid
NNID
lorbeerprinz
OK, first time post, and I know this is kind of a rant (good way to start), but I gotta ask this question.

What is it with teams / players that all bunch together (don't split up), particularly during the last moments of the match?

Bunching together makes it much easier for the enemy team to use specials which will wipe you all out.

So many times, particularly during the last 30 or so seconds, when the enemy has up to 70% of the playing field, I've seen all 3 other members of my team stick in the same small area, usually close to our base, and they continuously all get wiped out in one fell swoop because they're too close together, and the enemy can always exact where they are on the map.

The best strategy, IMO, is to all split up, go for broke, and just push out in as many directions and splat as much of the arena as you can whilst avoiding confrontation with the enemy. Remain unpredictable and evasive.

Time and time again I see people clamouring together, and I've yet to see it pay off. On the contrary, teams to take my strategy, or follow my lead, tend to expand the amount of the area we own dramatically in those last moments.
I suppose they're trying to form some sort of wall for pushing, but I think this only really works well when you're controlling most of the turf already anyway. As you said, spreading out is much more efficient for a last minute push to reclaim lost turf and turn a match around. I can't say I witness this very much happening, though, but then again I hardly ever witness my teams pushing when we're behind anyway, for some reason...

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Yeah, clumping together is a good way to get a triple or quad kill. And it doesn't push very much ink. I see this a lot, but I'm not sure there is much you can do about it. Lots and lots of people play this game, and many of them are 12 and under. They don't care about gitting gud.

I've learned to take Turf War less seriously. Sure, I want to win and I will still play to win, but sometimes you get really bad players, or really inexperienced players, or players who are trying a new weapon, or sometimes a bunch of S players on the other team. You have so little control on Turf Wars, so try not to get too salty.

Terramax

Inkling
Yes, I try to remind myself that people playing are from all walks of life, and they may very well have their reasons.

Still, whether or not you're taking the game seriously, it amazes me that people just don't seem to learn from their experiences.

Turf Wars is still my favourite mode, so it's a shame there isn't a ranked match equivalent of this mode so as to weed out such players as those listed above.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I struggle to have fun in Turf Wars nowadays. The mode isn't bad, of course, but I enjoy how dynamic and action-focused the other modes are much more than "ink the most turf to win". I only hop on Turf Wars so I can check if my internet is behaving nicely before I hop back to ranked.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Turf is pretty much the only mode I play. I usually only play Ranked in Squad with my friends, because we can work as a team (team...work) and being with friends definitely softens the blow of losing rank points when ya lose.

A good Turf battle is always changing, and just watching the map for a second to see who is gaining advantage where is exciting to me, plus, a close game has that "hmm, they covered a bunch here, but WE have this part here" guessing game at the end.

Turf War tourneys should still happen, regardless of what the grumpy competitive players say.

inkling#2

Inkling
NNID
undefeatedrob
I enjoy the turf war mode because it's a unique game mode and if after playing loads of ranked battles turf war seems like nothing.

Chops

Inkling
NNID
Blamemummy
Im like turf war but the match making is bad i have to fight lvl 50s im only a lvl 18 but i do get 1k just by the aerospray RG and not the rewards to it as well

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Does anyone wish you could squad with your friends in turf war?

Maybe limit it to only you and a friend (two total) so that matchmaking is easier, but I sometimes find it frustrating being on a different team than my only IRL friend that plays this game.

thedragonseer

Inkling
NNID
starthedragon
This is my favorite mode and I play it often, mostly to unlock abilities so I can go into ranked with better gear.
I have yet to get a really bad experience, but it's hard not to get salty sometimes hah. The teams I've been matching up with are usually ironically very experienced and at or above my level, which makes for fun matches that can get VERY INTENSE.
It's like the angel of matchmaking always shines on me because of this, since my friend gets bad matchups often

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
my impression of the Turf Wars...well its unfair. i started recent currently lvl 8 at the time of this post very close to 9 and 80% of my games were losses because everyone else was level 30+ and i was below 10 thats a huge skill and weapon array diffrence.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
my impression of the Turf Wars...well its unfair. i started recent currently lvl 8 at the time of this post very close to 9 and 80% of my games were losses because everyone else was level 30+ and i was below 10 thats a huge skill and weapon array diffrence.
Yeah. I'm level 49 and my only IRL friend that plays is level 16. We make sure to join his lobby when we play together because we usually get lower level people. I can usually dominate a match by myself due to skill difference. That's a bit unfair.

I'd suggest finding a friend or group of friends here on the boards that you can play with. That will help you have a better time as well as probably win more.

Lazarus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supamang64
You know, after getting used to splat zones, there's one thing I find lacking in turf wars: The lack of penalty for losing. It makes the matches less exciting somehow.
Not really getting punished for losing is actually what makes Turf War more playable for me. It's perfect for leveling up gear and trying new weapons and sets you aren't really used to. Plus, if you just want to troll and have fun you still get money for it which i'm always for.

16bitdave

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
16bitdave
Switch Friend Code
SW-4349-8419-7001
For me I use the tri sloshed with turf wars. Works so well for me. Some prefer guns or rollers, I enjoy the tri slosher :)

Zerul

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Mechasonic9000
For me I use the tri sloshed with turf wars. Works so well for me. Some prefer guns or rollers, I enjoy the tri slosher :)
i have a TYPE of weapon i like useing then a spacific weapon overall.

Please note i do not have all the wapons so they may be questionable

1. Charger - Kelp splatterscope
2. Splatling - Heavy Splatling/Hydra Splatling (when i feel like messing around)
3. Slosher - Sloshing Machine

Cranium

Inkling
NNID
dewyfin
After 4 hours I'm still not quite sure what this little card thingy with the flags, a 'rank' (Toasty, Smokin', On Fire etc.) and the numbers does. Is it Regular Battle's Matchmaking, since I noticed a raise in difficulty, or does it increase rewards in some way?

All I know is that it's rising by one point for every win, and I think it loses half a point for losses, so it's not really a win streak, either.

Does anyone have a clear idea on this? The manual mentioned nothing.
The flag system is based off of your number of wins compared to your number of losses during the current map rotation. If you win a bunch, the number will rise a lot. If you get it up to "So HAWT" Judd the cat will give you 1400 squid dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom