• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Regular Battle (Turf War) Discussion

silly979

Full Squid
NNID
silly979
If you had my honest opinion, I think they should add Turf War into a Ranked Battle type game mode. Maybe as its own standalone thing as a tournament or something. I think the extra rush of your rank on the line might make this mode more exciting. It might also be more exciting to have more modes in regular battle too.

AriasFantasy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ariasfantasy
If you had my honest opinion, I think they should add Turf War into a Ranked Battle type game mode. Maybe as its own standalone thing as a tournament or something. I think the extra rush of your rank on the line might make this mode more exciting. It might also be more exciting to have more modes in regular battle too.
I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The main problem a lot of people have with Turf War is that the last minute / thirty seconds are pretty much all that counts. If you had the lead until the one minute count, you can still lose to a couple inkstrikes or silly mistakes at the last second. Also, Turf War elements are prominent in the other ranked modes, so there's no reason to have another way to lose your rank if it's just Splat Zones without the zone. Although yes, I do think that your Turf War achievements should be marked somehow, I don't think making it a ranked mode is the way to do it.
(That got wordy fast, sorry!)

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The main problem a lot of people have with Turf War is that the last minute / thirty seconds are pretty much all that counts. If you had the lead until the one minute count, you can still lose to a couple inkstrikes or silly mistakes at the last second. Also, Turf War elements are prominent in the other ranked modes, so there's no reason to have another way to lose your rank if it's just Splat Zones without the zone. Although yes, I do think that your Turf War achievements should be marked somehow, I don't think making it a ranked mode is the way to do it.
(That got wordy fast, sorry!)
If the last minute is very important, that would require more skill to secure the victory, correct? Compared to Ranked Battles, where the beginning is what matters most often, and either grows into domination or turns into an insane struggle, Turf Wars allows comebacks to occur with good skill as well. I know battles can get super intense near the end of it, which often does show that it is competitive to some extent.

silly979

Full Squid
NNID
silly979
@AriasFantasy @VideoGameVirtuoso

While both of your statements are true, I suppose what I'm actually trying to say here is that I'd like to see a unique option in which Turf War could be played in a more competitive manner. Maybe something like a tournament mode, or a squad battle-type option for regular battle.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
@AriasFantasy @VideoGameVirtuoso

While both of your statements are true, I suppose what I'm actually trying to say here is that I'd like to see a unique option in which Turf War could be played in a more competitive manner. Maybe something like a tournament mode, or a squad battle-type option for regular battle.
That would be nice, however I have not seen much support for competitive Turf Wars, compared to any other game mode. The current options is Private Battles and random Turf Wars, which match with players of similar skill/rank. If you are already at S+, you will get a lot of A and S players in your lobby, so that somewhat fulfills your request.

silly979

Full Squid
NNID
silly979
If you are already at S+, you will get a lot of A and S players in your lobby, so that somewhat fulfills your request.
Isn't that just for ranked battle?

And isn't private battle just a little side lobby to privately play ANY mode with your friends?

I haven't really been playing as much as I'd like to be, but I'd doubt much has really changed.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Isn't that just for ranked battle?

And isn't private battle just a little side lobby to privately play ANY mode with your friends?

I haven't really been playing as much as I'd like to be, but I'd doubt much has really changed.
The matchmaking feature also applies to random Turf Wars, but it is not as restrictive. You can determine this by exiting out of your lobby after multiple Turf War matches. I do not see any players below A-, and I frequently see A+ and S players. I rarely see S+ players, probably because they are in Ranked or Squad Battles.

As for Private Battles, yes, you can play with any amount of friends, from 1-7. The notable difference is that you can control who is on which team. The issue is that players do not leave and get replaced by others, unless your friends list is big.

silly979

Full Squid
NNID
silly979
The matchmaking feature also applies to random Turf Wars, but it is not as restrictive. You can determine this by exiting out of your lobby after multiple Turf War matches. I do not see any players below A-, and I frequently see A+ and S players. I rarely see S+ players, probably because they are in Ranked or Squad Battles.

As for Private Battles, yes, you can play with any amount of friends, from 1-7. The notable difference is that you can control who is on which team. The issue is that players do not leave and get replaced by others, unless your friends list is big.
It's not like I don't know any of this. I've been playing the game since day 1. But what your telling me here, while information I am already acquainted with, is not what I am looking for.

tanDaMan

Inkling
NNID
downeaznboi
Turf wars can be just as competitive as the other modes, theres no real reason it shouldn't be a ranked Turf Wars mode. The other modes should be available unranked as well.

JustSquidding

Inkling
NNID
missclairely
Turf wars can be just as competitive as the other modes, theres no real reason it shouldn't be a ranked Turf Wars mode. The other modes should be available unranked as well.
Agreed. I'm a n00b and pretty much suck at everything but Turf War. It'd be nice to give those of us who are less acquainted with/adept at FPS's a chance to improve our rank.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Weirdly the ranked-ish nature of the new Splatfest system pushed me towards playing Turf Wars a lot more than I used to. I haven't played TW this much since the days it was the only mode available in the game. It... has been quite refreshing to play ranked a lot less, I must say.

Princess Bubbie

Tiny lil' monster
NNID
Princess.Bubbie
I agree on this. Sometimes I don't want to do rank but want to play the other modes just to unwind. :<

Sp1r1t

Inkling
NNID
sp1r1t
I think that it's perfect as it is now. As you mentioned before, you don't want to play ranked all the time. Me too.

On he other hand, there could be another ranked mode with Turf wars, separated from the non-ranked.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I've always preferred Turf Wars over ranked, though I do like the gamemodes of Ranked. It'd be nice to see more casual versions of them, but I think that won't happen.

Kabel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kabelly
Why is Saltspray always in the rotation. Honestly the worst map in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom