• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Regular Battle (Turf War) Discussion

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I like turf wars for the fact that people are running all over the place and at the most not hiding in the ink to ambush :P

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You know, after getting used to splat zones, there's one thing I find lacking in turf wars: The lack of penalty for losing. It makes the matches less exciting somehow.

spiffy

Full Squid
NNID
pinkylilacs
going purely based off looks here, my favorite maps are the warehouse and skate park.

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
I love the mall map for both turf wars and ranked battles, the games are super tense, especially for ranked

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
After playing a bunch of Tower Control, I had to kick it back in Turf Wars to unwind before my head exploded

micahclay

Inkster Jr.
NNID
micahclay
Turf Wars is fun when I want to relax, and when I want to try out a new gun.

Shalnark

Full Squid
I just played turf wars for two hours. I usually don't stay in one room that long but I got lucky because most people in this particular room actually used teamwork, and as a result, we successfully made it to the enemies' base multiple times and stayed there for a while without getting killed.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
Wow Team Dog players are horrible lol... lossing so hard and Turf Wars is not a game type you can carry lol

LOL holy crap is it just me or are team dog people getting the most garbage team mate? everyone on my team is like 1-10 everytime lol

Last edited:

Smychavo

Full Squid
NNID
llantonino
Wow Team Dog players are horrible lol... lossing so hard and Turf Wars is not a game type you can carry lol

LOL holy crap is it just me or are team dog people getting the most garbage team mate? everyone on my team is like 1-10 everytime lol
Really? I was expecting some more teamwork on the dog side of things. Maybe some players still think they're in ranked mode XD.

ZypkerGaming

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ZypkerGaming
In the recent Famitsu survey, only 36% of voters said they actually focused on spreading ink. The rest focused on splatting opponents :/. I know about snipers and chargers and all that, but 64% is just overboard.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
You know, after getting used to splat zones, there's one thing I find lacking in turf wars: The lack of penalty for losing. It makes the matches less exciting somehow.
In the recent Famitsu survey, only 36% of voters said they actually focused on spreading ink. The rest focused on splatting opponents :/. I know about snipers and chargers and all that, but 64% is just overboard.
These reasons are what makes people feel it's less 'competitive' - people are funny. People really want, for some reason, Splatoon to be a traditional conservative competitive shooter. We'll get what we deserve, if people want to turn it into that then that's what we'll get.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I was just wondering what everyone's strategy is for the opening 30secs to 1 minute of Turf Wars.

When I first started playing Splatoon everyone was like "Ink Your Base!!" so that is what I did. It was easy to do with a roller and got you lots of points toward your special early on. I had pretty good success with this strategy and my wife and my friends who come over to play have never deviated from this.

However, I started reading more and watching some streamers and I noticed that many of them rushed ahead to the central area to either meet the opposing team head-on, take control of the middle first, or secure the high ground. So I tried this strategy when I first decided to get good at shooters (instead of just the Krack-On). It worked really well for me as I not only was able to capture the middle, but I was still able to get lots of points for my special.

After awhile though, the rush forward strategy seemed to be failing. I think it was due to more and more people adopting that same strategy and while I am usually better than 50% at splatting people, I still got splatted frequently. So, for this past splatfest I returned to inking the base first and then heading out to confront the enemy.

Honestly, the "ink the base" tactic has worked better. I was using the RG, which has ink strike which means I could cut off the enemy early and I'm more of a close combat person (because of my terrible aim from long distance) so I can splat people easy after the initial cover (more ink to hide in).

But, I can see this tactic changing depending on weapons. If I went back to the .52 gal I'd probably rush to the middle a bit faster. One of the reasons I like this mode is of the many ways to achieve victory.

So, what tactic does everyone else use?

icewolf741

Inkling
I really like turf wars because they help me unwind, practice with new weapons, practice map awareness, goof around etc with no penalty for losing. I also really like it during splatfest because it does become more competitive.

Personally my tactic depends on the map and the weapon that I'm using, but I tend to like to rush forward. It does depend on the map though. If there are no chokepoints then i spend more time inking on my way (like flounder heights). but if it's saltspray I usually will rush the back area as fast as possible and try and hold it.

Also i really like using sprinklers for turf wars so i can just drop one on the base right away and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom