• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

RP Ideas? Post Them Here!

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Players pick their counselors based on their introductions and would ideally stay that way the whole game. However, it wouldn't be out of the question to interact with other counselors, you just choose your main one. There'd probably be a chance to change early game, to swap based on who's playing.

Cabins would have a max number, I suppose? Based on the number of GMs so no more than half the full number would end up in one cabin. First come, first serve. Counselors that just don't get any people choosing them become plot relevant NPCs, basically.

Das

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DasIsKing
I've been trying to think of AU concepts for the past few days, and everything sucks.

Anyone have better luck? I was considering an idea for an Artistic Academy, but it needs a lot more work.

I've been meaning to post in the RP Forums forever, so I'll at least post this. Hah.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
I've been trying to think of AU concepts for the past few days, and everything sucks.

Anyone have better luck? I was considering an idea for an Artistic Academy, but it needs a lot more work.

I've been meaning to post in the RP Forums forever, so I'll at least post this. Hah.
:0 Throw some ideas out and bounce them off other people on the forum. See if people would be interested!
If you need advice GMing, talk to ReedRGale and stuff too.

We've only got like 2 games atm so, if you've got and idea you'd like to try, go for it! Don't worry if it ends up failing in the end, it's all testing what works what works and what doesn't.

Das

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DasIsKing
:0 Throw some ideas out and bounce them off other people on the forum. See if people would be interested!
If you need advice GMing, talk to ReedRGale and stuff too.

We've only got like 2 games atm so, if you've got and idea you'd like to try, go for it! Don't worry if it ends up failing in the end, it's all testing what works what works and what doesn't.
Yeah, no worries.

More just getting my head wrapped around what would be appropriate for an RP. I tend to lean towards darker content, so it's hard to put my mind into something kind of for a younger audience, and how to implement the over excess of ink. Haha.

We'll see. XD

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Yeah, no worries.

More just getting my head wrapped around what would be appropriate for an RP. I tend to lean towards darker content, so it's hard to put my mind into something kind of for a younger audience, and how to implement the over excess of ink. Haha.

We'll see. XD
This is kind of my problem too. I've had an RP idea for some time now but haven't shared it because I don't know where to go with it that wouldn't be too deep.

Hesoca

Full Squid
This is kind of my problem too. I've had an RP idea for some time now but haven't shared it because I don't know where to go with it that wouldn't be too deep.
I'll be honest, I'm not against having some grittier RPs in the square. A diversity of genres is never a bad thing, and having some different types of material could encourage people who wouldn't normally be interested in RPing to participate.

The issue isn't so much the gritty-ness as it is going overboard with it. By the very nature of having a younger audience on the forum, you've got to have some limit as to how dark your story gets. In my opinion, everything should be kept at what would be the game equivalent of a "T" rating or lower, though I could see some people arguing that everything should be at an "E10+" rating or lower, considering Splatoon's own rating.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason that you couldn't come up with a deep or dark story within that rating tier. As someone who has RPed a lot in the Pokemon fandom, I can say firsthand that there's a lot you can do even under an "E10+" rating; you've just got to present it in a way that's suitable.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Well, my problem isn't so much grit as it is tough subjects.

The premise for the idea is that, after the events of Splatoon's single-player campaign, Octarians are granted access to the surface. Things go on like this for a year, with Octarians and Inklings living 'peacefully', with Octolings even taking part in battles, until one day a Splatfest is announced... Inklings vs. Octolings. The main concept is that after 100 years of propaganda, the conflict between Inklings and Octarians went from being about turf to being about race.

The RP would begin with the lead-up to the Splatfest, with players deciding which side to take, or whether to participate at all, followed by the Splatfest itself. There would be more to it than that, but exactly where the story goes would depend on the results of the Splatfest (and plus I wouldn't want to spoil everything here now,. would I?).

It just seems like an RP that would need to be made with care.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Well, my problem isn't so much grit as it is tough subjects.

The premise for the idea is that, after the events of Splatoon's single-player campaign, Octarians are granted access to the surface. Things go on like this for a year, with Octarians and Inklings living 'peacefully', with Octolings even taking part in battles, until one day a Splatfest is announced... Inklings vs. Octolings. The main concept is that after 100 years of propaganda, the conflict between Inklings and Octarians went from being about turf to being about race.

The RP would begin with the lead-up to the Splatfest, with players deciding which side to take, or whether to participate at all, followed by the Splatfest itself. There would be more to it than that, but exactly where the story goes would depend on the results of the Splatfest (and plus I wouldn't want to spoil everything here now,. would I?).

It just seems like an RP that would need to be made with care.
Oh snap, that sounds intriguing as hell! Yeah, I can see that being something to handle carefully.
I guess you'd be able to play as Inkling or Octoling in this. But yeah, the concept sounds intense.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Octo Lab
Summary
A lab out in Octo Valley sent out a distress call on all channels. The Octoling who sounded extremely desperate for help. You had responded or did you stumble on it? You explore it, discovering a empty labyrinth of rooms, cells and well labs. That is until a quarantine alarm sets off, awaking the horrors within.
Description
It's a more gritty RP, it has dangers going from experiments, automated defenses to even traps created by the staff. There two threats/enemies to both NPCs and the player/users.
How to Play!
Aberration of Ink is the more dangerous of the two, unless you post 4 times during the 2 week cycle. He has capabilities of mind controlling the remaining Staff/NPCs and the player if they don't do anything during the cycle. He can also flat out eliminate NPCs. Again if you don't do anything he'll target you, canon explanation for elimination ;)

Subject Lamia
is the somewhat neutral of the two. she won't target you, but she will activate traps and defenses believing you to be the Ink Monster. She is also capable of driving off the Ink Monster. :scared:

The game operates on a similar type to the other thread Missing. With the GM making a response to the characters response that can be long or short with it ended on an action. Back onto the elimination of players, you will be warned thrice over a week.

Sorry if it isnt that legible I wrote it on my tablet

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Octo Lab
Summary
A lab out in Octo Valley sent out a distress call on all channels. The Octoling who sounded extremely desperate for help. You had responded or did you stumble on it? You explore it, discovering a empty labyrinth of rooms, cells and well labs. That is until a quarantine alarm sets off, awaking the horrors within.
Description
It's a more gritty RP, it has dangers going from experiments, automated defenses to even traps created by the staff. There two threats/enemies to both NPCs and the player/users.
How to Play!
Aberration of Ink is the more dangerous of the two, unless you post 4 times during the 2 week cycle. He has capabilities of mind controlling the remaining Staff/NPCs and the player if they don't do anything during the cycle. He can also flat out eliminate NPCs. Again if you don't do anything he'll target you, canon explanation for elimination ;)

Subject Lamia
is the somewhat neutral of the two. she won't target you, but she will activate traps and defenses believing you to be the Ink Monster. She is also capable of driving off the Ink Monster. :scared:

The game operates on a similar type to the other thread Missing. With the GM making a response to the characters response that can be long or short with it ended on an action. Back onto the elimination of players, you will be warned thrice over a week.

Sorry if it isnt that legible I wrote it on my tablet
Why does this remind me of the SCP foundation.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
.... I honestly didn't realize that until you brought it up
perhaps its sitting in the back of my head anyway I need to add something on to it.
SL is a Lamprey Eel thats why she is capable of fighting the Aberration

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
Speaking of SCP foundation..
Are crossover RPs allowed on the forum?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Cuddlefish I love the conflict that you're introducing there and would love to see that play out. Would you mostly have players go into the time before the Splatfest? Would they battle it out during the fest? Would there be riots and rallies and protests? Oh boy this is exciting! I love these kinds of things! :D

@Rustic Premise seems strong, but I think it would all be in the execution. How would you introduce your players to the issue in the first place? Like, how would they all be tied in? How would group posts be handled? Would this be more a story the players would play though, as the intro suggests? Or more like a game, as the modes at the end there suggest?

@Zythefox I don't really see why not.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
@CuddlefishWould you mostly have players go into the time before the Splatfest? Would they battle it out during the fest? Would there be riots and rallies and protests? Oh boy this is exciting! I love these kinds of things! :D
It'd be a big part of the beginning of the RP, but I wouldn't call it mostly. Yes, though I haven't worked out the best system of handling fast-paced combat when the rest of the RP is slower-paced storytelling. Spoilers.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I'm not sure how it would be executed, perhaps everyone starts together? Going in one big group but getting separated by an encounter with one of the 2 big baddies could be one. Another could be that you start off in the facility, waking up from a nasty hit. Depends on how I can link together the players OCs as well.

*EDIT*
I've polished the absolute heck out of the game. Least I think I did. I thought up a couple NPCs to polish the backstory and created a [How to play] reminiscent to Missing. Oh and you can help with critique as well.

If you want you can read about the NPCs/OCs here
Name: Elias
Personality: Quick thinker, creative and impulsive.
Appearance:He wears a striped blue LS, shorts and blueberry casuals.
Hair:4 Tentacles in the back that reach down his neck and two short parted in the front.
Backstory: Elias hadn't wanted to go on this stupid dare to Octo Valley, but thanks to him accepting an invite to truth or dare. He was double-dog dared to go on a hike to Octo Valley, he stumbled and fell into a hole onto a cold hard surface. After recovering from the drop, he got up and looked around. After discovering he couldn't climb back up and seeing his faithful N-Zap '89 broken. He went through a doorway and started to explore the mysterious structure until an alarm went off, bathing the corridor in flashes of red. Elias hoped someone would realize he would be missing back in Inkopolis

Name: Lamei
Race: Octoling
Personality: Nervous nerd, analytical and joker
Appearance: Lab coat, black scrubs, boots and retro specs.
Backstory: Lamei came to in a dark room, she rubbed her aching head trying to recover. Slowly she stood up and started to fumble on the wall for a light switch on the wall. After what felt like a minute she found a switch, relieved she pressed it. The lights flickered then revealed the room, showing what knocked her out. It was a loose ceiling panel. Once she saw where she was, Lamei remembered the room she was in. It was the security room, that had view of the entire facility if the camera feed monitors were on at least. She turned on the monitors, revealing ghastly scenes of experiments running rampant throughout the facility. Shocked and horrified, she hit the red button labeled Quarantine, once she did. Lamei sent out a distress call.

Name: Raselas
Personality: Explorer at heart, cowardly and loud
Race: Inkling
Backstory: Raselas had went out exploring, expecting a normal, beautiful day. That was until he found a massive gate that was open, the explorer in him said YES, the chickenfish in him screamed NO! Listening to his explorer instincts he entered the huge maw. Only to be greeted by a black formless thing, he screamed loudly and ran so fast to Inkopolis. Crying for help. The police called him crazy, a gibbering wreck. Hurt he sat down in the Plaza, hoping the bigger Inklings could help him. Because someone might help him at least right?

Here is the How to play
The GM kicks things off with a series of scenarios for the players, in which they (hopefully) respond and type up a response that could be long or it could be short. Players need to do a action with their response however. Once the character does their action, the GM will make a short response in turn. The GM must be balanced and not be putting all the misfortunes on a person, unless they explicitly say they want to suffer (masochist much?). Onto the idle RPers and how they'll be solved, they will be given a series of warnings over 1 1/2 week or until the 2 1/2 cycle is done. Once there they get the boot or rather the Aberration comes and ganks you. The games cycle is 2 and a half weeks. However even if this is a more darker/grittier RP there won't be any permadeaths, which I'm sure is a breath of relief from your OC. The GM controls the two experiments and the NPCs.

Last edited:

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander

Rustic

Inkling Commander
Thanks for the advice its really helpful and will improve the GM which would probably be me, I always tend to be a bit more forgiving
As for the story that's the tricky part. I've gotten the Octoling Arc done somewhat, I'm trying to make the Inkling Arc. Its pretty difficult thanks to Octo Valley being Octo Valley but I think if I do it just right it won't involve shoehorning players into the lab... I got it! We won't start it in the lab right away thanks to discovering a couple of sub-genres. It'll start off within Inkopolis! Unless you get a Octoling and throw it in. This is actually incredibly complex and thus so very easy to fall apart.

Another thing is that as you linked the horror bits could be difficult to make you feel the tension of the situation.
As for Elias I kinda based him on your MC please don't sue me for copyright? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom