• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

RP Ideas? Post Them Here!

Hesoca

Full Squid
This is more of a game-based rather than a story-based idea, but nonetheless....

---
Something's Ominous in Octo Valley | A Splatoon Survival RPG
Description: Inklings living near the Octo Valley area have suddenly gone missing in a bizarre series of serial kidnappings. In response to these events, the Inkopolis Police has created a specialized task force to investigate Octo Valley and its belowground area - one that you (the player) have just volunteered to be a part of.

Gameplay: The RP runs on a dungeon-crawler-like engine. Players start on the beginning floor of the valley, working together to find kettles that bring them deeper into the valley's caverns. The deeper the go, the more the story progresses - and the harder things get for the task force.

Floors operate under two different phases: an exploration phase and a combat phase. During the exploration phase, players are free to roam around the area in search of clues, hidden areas, and resources. Useful resources that the players find (such as food or tools for the base camp), are held within their respective inventories, and can be used at any time to help the team reach its next destination. In addition, by exploring the area, players can activate random events, which either shower the crew in blessings or throw obstacles in their way, depending on how lucky they are.

Random events can activate combat, which shifts the floor to the combat phase. During combat, players are restricted to their immediate area, and pitted against a specific set of opponents. Opponent difficulty is rated by their level (on a 1 to 50 scale, just like Splatoon). Defeating a set of opponents nets the crew rewards - but if the enemy is too strong, fleeing is an option as well. Either way, both actions trigger the end of the combat phase, and the floor returns to being open and explorable.

Since enemies have levels, it makes sense for the players to have them, as well. During sign-ups, players choose what level from a set range they would like for their character. A higher level improves a character's ability in combat but makes them less likely to find important resources during exploration. Conversely, a lower level decreases a character's combat ability, but increases their chance of finding resources and discovering different areas. Ideally, since resources are necessary to crew survival, and the chances of finding resources diminish the further the team heads into the valley, lower level and higher level characters are equally important, and are necessary to each other's success.

The story itself is shaped by how the player's react to the obstacles they run into, with the design of new floors being based on what the player's discover (and not discover). Though I have an overarching plot in mind, most of the action takes place within smaller substories involving the events player's trigger and the crew's interactions with each other, with story-heavy content becoming more frequent the further the RPG goes.
---

There's still a few mechanics that need fleshing out (inventory, permadeath, event triggering), but in any case, this is what I have so far. (Title is also tentative. =P)

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Hesoca LOVE THIS. Mostly because I love Etrian Odyssey. Are there going to be class types and point assignment based stats? That would be wonderful to see! How would death be handled? And do you have an idea of how stats would be posted and explained? Man, I had an idea for something like this brewing, but I'd love to participate in something like this instead of running it.

Hesoca

Full Squid
@ReedRGale: I've been dying to get into the Etrian series ever since my friend let me borrow EO3 a while back. Was eventually planning on grabbing EO4 once my wallet recovers from all the summer sales. XD

Oof, stat distribution. That's... a mechanic I haven't really figured out quite yet. I want stats to be easily accessible to people who may not be familiar with a stat-based RP, but also have some level of strategic complexity, and, to be honest, I'm just not entirely sure how to mix those two ideals.

Without concerns about simplicity, this is my approach to stats:
  • All players start at some level (5? 10?) with a specific amount of points they can put into their stats. Going up a level gives them an extra point, which they can distribute as they like.
  • The stat categories themselves affect elements of both exploration and combat. (i.e. Stealth is useful for avoiding enemies on the field as well as hiding from them in combat.)
  • Class types are based on the type of weapon the player chooses to use (Charger, Roller, Slosher, etc.). Since there likely aren't any traveling Inkling weapon dealers in the Octo Valley catacombs, these class types can't be switched at will, though a player could theoretically try to use someone else's weapon, just with the stats their class type gives them.
  • A player's class effects their base stats. They still get the same amount of points as everyone else to put into their stats at the beginning, but what stats they start out with differ between classes.
  • Every players' stats are consolidated into a spoiler on the first post of the OOC thread for easy access, though the players could theoretically keep a little footer at the bottom of their posts listing what their stats are. The only stats that are actually tracked in the event and combat posts, however, are energy (how much the players can still do) and health (how much damage the players can still take).
All that said, my concern is still that keeping track of stats will be too tedious for the players. Granted, they aren't the ones doing all the calculations behind-the-scenes, but the nuances of what-stat-does-what might not be readily apparent at the start of the RP, where point allocation matters the most.

As noted in my previous post, I had an idea involving a level scale that affected stats automatically, putting more stats into exploration in the beginning, and moving them to combat near the end-game. However, I sort of came up with that idea as I was writing my post at about three in the morning, and after thinking about it again it still doesn't seem to solve the problem of stat complexity.

Also, (since I've been kind of rambling about stats for a while), permadeath is still up in the air. My policy at the moment is that if at least one player character is alive and well, all other player characters who have either run out of energy or have been defeated in combat will simply enter a "fainted" state, where the other players are able to rescue them and help them back into the game. Of course, if the whole team wipes, that's game over.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Hesoca Well, one way to simplify stats is to break it down to 3 to 6 base stats and simple calculations. Past that, you're just going to have to accept that not everyone will understand stats because, let's be honest, not everyone will.

I'd say the best way to combat the issue is to run a testfire of the game with some friends before throwing it on here--work out the calculations and iron out the initial kinks--work out the classes and then, instead of trying to explain everything in calculations, simply explain how things work in words. That tends to grip people more anyway. Same applies to classes, I'd say.

Hesoca

Full Squid
@ReedRGale: Yeah, guess so. I suppose if some of the players don't care about making up their own spreads I could offer to distribute their stats myself, based on the personality of their character. It wouldn't be particularly optimal and would operate on a case-by-case basis, but it's something.

Running a testfire is a good idea. And no worries, everything is definitely going to be described in words. Statistics are terrifying.

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
This is more of a game-based rather than a story-based idea, but nonetheless....

---
Something's Ominous in Octo Valley | A Splatoon Survival RPG
That's like full on table top level. Actually, I think I wanna take this and develop it more, if you don't mind? I like the idea of a full on d20 Splatoon rpg.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
This is my first RP idea, so it may not be that good..

Title: 20 Years After ((I'm gonna think of a better name...))

Summary: What if the Great Zap Fish didn't return? Well that's exactly what happened, so no need to wonder now.
The Octarians attacked with full force, taking over Inkopolis and destroying more than half of Inkling population. Now Inkopolis has a new name.. Octopolis.

Description:
What if the Great Zap Fish didn't return? Well that's exactly what happened, so no need to wonder now.
The Octarians attacked with full force, taking over Inkopolis and destroying more than half of Inkling population. Now Inkopolis has a new name.. Octopolis. Octarians are everywhere, the walls have ears, and the amount of Octolings blasted off to insane numbers. It's been this way for 20 years... The remaining Inklings stay hidden, living off discarded food and living in secret hideouts, sewers and abandoned buildings. Almost every Inkling weapon has been destroyed...
Any Inkling found... Will be publicly splatted.

How it Would Be Played:

Weapons: Players can either start with weapons or without weapons. If they start without weapons they have to either find one, steal from an Octoling or Steal from another Inkling that has a weapon.
Here's a list of starter weapons available at the beginning of the RP: Splatter Shot Jr./Custom Splatter Shot Jr. , Splat Charger, Inkbrush, Splat Roller and Classic Squiffer. ((List may change, other weapons will be available further into the RP))

If you're found by an Octarian, you will have to end it quickly before it sends a signal to other Octarians, the same goes for Octolings. The citizens of Octopolis don't always walk around, armed. Usually only Octarian Patrols or Police carry around weapons. Elite Octolings will always be armed, so always stay cautious when one is spotted. Octostrikers and Octobombers will rarely be sent out to attack Inklings due to the fact that their attacks damage the environment as well as their enemies.

Stealth: Stealth is a key role to surviving as a Inkling, sewers are great ways to travel around the city un-noticed. But Octarian Patrols may sometimes check the sewers, never let yours guard down. As usual, enemies can't see you when you swim in ink, but seeing puddles of ink will alert them that an Inkling may be in the area, so they'll be extra cautious.

Jailed: If you fail to escape the Octarian Patrol, you'll be taken to a jail cell, 2 Octarians will guard the cell while the others will prepare for the Public Splatting. In this time others may help you escape before the Public Splatting starts. The jail cell requires two keys to open, they are hidden in the building.. Find them all to help your friend escape. If you're not an Inkling, they will either force you to do their dirty work or send you to the Octopolis Lab for testing.

Starting Location: Players can start out in the sewers, escaping from the Octopolis Lab, alleyways or abandoned buildings

((I'm bad at naming things...And I'm sorry for making this so long.
Anyways, what do you all think?))

Rustic

Inkling Commander
It looks good but how would escaping from your execution work? Aside from the obvious Inkling coming to your rescue, say other players couldn't rescue you. Would that mean an automatic game over? Are there any GM roles?
Would a name referring to Agent 3's failure sound better, seeing as this is technically the game over ending?
Are there types of Octarians/Octolings to avoid specifically like Elites and new variants?
How would permadeath work once you get splatted? Would other players get a penalty or they just lost a player. Move along?

Those are my thoughts

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
@Rustic I don't want to immediately remove someone for the RP.. So I just remove the execution and just make them trapped inside a jail cell.
I guess I'll be the GM, and there will be room for another GM.
A name referring to Agent 3's failure would sound good.. Possibly "Game Over"? Nah.. Too simple.. I'll think of one soon.
I've thought of plenty of new ranks of Octolings:
Rookie Octoling: These are young Octolings, clumsy and weak. These octolings will most of the time seen with the SplatterShot Jr.

Octoling Scout:
These Octolings are the quickest of the quick, the agile-est ((Because made-up words are needed.)) of the agile. Their main weapons are Sploosh-o-matic/Splattershots. Although they are fast and agile, they have low health.

Mimic Octoling:
These octolings are relatively harmless besides the fact they can signal other Octarians faster than others. They'll mimic and follow any Inkling until the Octarians they signal arrive. They'll try to stay out of your line of sight, but once you see them, splat them quickly and leave the area. Octarians may investigate the area. They can be recognized by their vibrant blue spots on their tentacles.

And I'll try to think of some other kinds of Octarians that are not Octolings.. But that's all the ideas I have for now.

Last edited:

Rustic

Inkling Commander
I got a few more questions that popped up

Would there be certain win conditions to breaking Imprisoned Players out of the Prison? Such as [you need to splat the wardens] or some other objective?

How long will the RP go for? Will there be cycles such as a 2 week one or a month-long cycle?

I have an idea for Prison Warden Octarians
Warden Octarian
These Octarians are the wardens of the jail, they might carry the key to freedom but they are mean in a fight.
Wardens are easily recognized by their black outfit, resembling a executioner. They are strong with their zappy rod and incredibly resilient but can't do much in return if disarmed
That's one idea for an enemy I suppose.

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
@Rustic One of the Octarians that are guarding the cell will have one of the keys with them, the other is hidden in the building. But splatting one of the guards may alert the other guards, so stealth is a better choice. And I'll add some things about how the "Break Out" will work..
Entrance: They can choose to either enter through the vents or just plain bust through the door and try to splat the Prison Wardens. If you bust in, you could just get double-teamed unless you have another Inkling with you. These Octarians are strong, so going through the vents may be the better choice, but making a sound in those vents could alert the wardens.

I think I'll choose a month-long cycle..

I like the enemy idea.. Is it based off the Octarian enemies in one of the Splatoon trailer that was never actually seen in the final game? Just curious. ((Good idea though, good idea.))

Rustic

Inkling Commander
@Zythefox Yes that's the one I'm talking about

This roleplay sounds good to me, hopefully I can get access to a computer so I can reliably type without double checking for mishaps and participate fully. The concept is solid with it's What If story and the entire thing could make for a promising RP

In the meantime I'll be working on my own roleplay
I redid it top to bottom, I just need a computer to type it or at least a keyboard. Typing huge paragraphs is a recipe for grammatical disaster on this tablet

Last edited:

Hesoca

Full Squid
That's like full on table top level. Actually, I think I wanna take this and develop it more, if you don't mind? I like the idea of a full on d20 Splatoon rpg.
Maybe more micro than full-on, but it's definitely table-top inspired. And sure thing; that's what the ideas are here for, after all. :D I could shoot you a PM with some of my working notes if you'd like any of those, as well.

Postwreck

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Postwreck
Maybe more micro than full-on, but it's definitely table-top inspired. And sure thing; that's what the ideas are here for, after all. :D I could shoot you a PM with some of my working notes if you'd like any of those, as well.
Totally, I'd love to see them. I'm already imagining translating all the equipment and such into a table top setting. It could be really cool, but I don't think it could be done on a forum setting. It would need to be on Roll 20 or something.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Ohhh, I love all this discussion!

@Postwreck and @Hesoca I look forward to what you make. I'd be excited to play such a game and I look forward to RPs on here that aren't mine. :P

@Zythefox I see a few factual errors in your description. If all inkling weapons are destroyed, how are ther einklings with weapons? Are they octoling weapons now? :? How would stats work? Would it all be fast and loose or would there be roles involved? How would post managing be handled? Standard but important questions.

Further, what objectives would there be for the inklings? Would they have a home base? Why don't they just live in Octoling Valley?

Also, to explain why they're jailed instead of splatted, I like the respawn gimmick--their death would just respawn them later. Better to just imprison them so they can't escape. And if selfsplatting is a thing, just have a chain or collar that prevents inklings from doing that.

@myself I need to start archiving some of these, I'm falling behind. >_>

Zythefox

Senior Squid
NNID
Zythefox
@ReedRGale I didn't say all of them were destroyed.. I meant most of them. There are some weapons left lying throughout the city, hidden. Some Inkling weapons have been modified by Octarians, while most Inkling weapons were destroyed so the Inklings couldn't retrieve their land.

Due to the rising sea levels, the Inklings and Octarians fight over territory on land ((Well.. That's what we know from the Sunken Scrolls)) so the Octarians want to keep as much territory as possible. ((But then again.. the Octarians could share Ancient Rome's fate if they can't keep everything under control.... Man I am bad at descriptions.))

Hesoca

Full Squid
Totally, I'd love to see them. I'm already imagining translating all the equipment and such into a table top setting. It could be really cool, but I don't think it could be done on a forum setting. It would need to be on Roll 20 or something.
Sent you a PM. Apologies in advance for the brain dump of information.

If you were doing the equipment piece-by-piece (each weapon, each piece of gear, etc.), then yeah, it'd be way too much for a forum RP. A simplified sorting of all the equipment could possibly work in a setting like this, though there would still be some behind-the-scenes mechanics that'd have to be worked out, and a lot of little statistics that would probably have to be cut. It's doable, but it just probably won't be as robust as a table-top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom