• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Salmon Run Open Permanently?

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
You're comparing Mario Kart, a racing game with no overarching progression beyond gathering coins which can be done in any mode, to Salmon Run, a PVE mode that offers large rewards only for the other modes. Mario Kart also has more than two maps. You talk of timed events bonuses like double experience and double cash... That is EXACTLY what you can get from Salmon Run as it is, along with exclusive gear, large quantities of money, and manipulation of the ability system. All that's taken out for the offline version, which is why that's freely available, but if they removed or nerfed the Salmon Run rewards we'd get people complaining about THAT instead. I was annoyed when I learned that it wasn't 24/7 as well, but now that I've seen what they hand out, I can see Nintendo's logic even if I don't entirely agree with it.

I agree with Kabel that they could have done a better job explaining all this to prospective buyers, but I don't agree with any of your points, and the fact stands that you DID sign up for this community explicitly to grumble about this, hence my "outrage" assumption.
The real key point is it's that games are being played for gear rather than for fun and availability. Simple availability of a game should not be restricted because of gear. I just want to play it just to play it. Take gear rewards out on downtimes then. What do people honestly get out of defending Nintendo's decision in this? I'm comparing a game not because it's based on a reward system (which is irrelevant to the simple case of availability), but rather the purest and simplest form of just availability. Salmon Run offers great rewards? Maybe just slow down the reward system on down time. Seriously, is anyone arguing this benefitting themselves? If so, how? Does it make it more unique? Because that's a sad excuse that doesn't speak well at all for the people with serious time restraints. Yes I did come here to the forums to voice a opinion that I believe will better the game. Here's some praise, everything else about the game is pretty top notch.

Last edited:

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Eh, it'd be better to leave it open the whole time and have super bonus events scheduled instead.
I don't think I've seen anyone bring up a good point as to why it shouldn't be like that.
Thank you. If multiplayer was built like this, the tables would be turned for sure. Anyone defending Nintendo's decision in limiting salmon run needs to question "What if the same was applied to PvP multiplayer?" I also don't see rewards as being a justifiable excuse. Those can be added or removed on time frames, but not the entire game mode.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
I believe the reason Salmon Run isn't 24/7 is to keep people playing. Remember Splatoon 1's long wait times in lobbies? With a set time for Salmon Run being available, people will rush to play it, as opposed to ignoring it because it's available all the time. That's my theory, at least.

Also, you've clearly only started playing Salmon Run if you think it's relaxing, lol.
Never had Splatoon 1 and Salmon Run (horde mode) should be pretty popular enough to be open all the time. I relax because I don't fret like others do.
it's a bit hard to play the mode if it's not available and yes I know that by restricting something people will be more prone to participate but if the mode isn't available then people objectively can't play as much.
if people are only playing these modes for the rewards then they will get burned out. I play because the mode is fun and engaging, the bonus is merely a small incentive to play.
Really well said. How can people "rush" into salmon run if they objectively can't be there?

Last edited:

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Yeah pretty sure it's this, to decrease queue times. Splatoon's method of putting everyone in the same map and reducing the number of modes available is to ensure there are players available. Even in a game as popular as Overwatch I'll get multi-minute queues, and old FPS games sometimes have a couple lobbies of various levels with only 1-2 people in them. Having the mode only available at certain times will entice people to get on and play at those times vs thinning the available player pool.
Thinning the player pools should not be a concern when the company glorified this one game mode. If one and only ONE game mode is that discerning about pool size, then maybe it's time the devs question the entire integrity of their game. It's one game mode, not 15 like Call of Duty had to do away with. I appreciate the input, but I just don't see it.

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
...and the fact stands that you DID sign up for this community explicitly to grumble about this, hence my "outrage" assumption.
Yes. That's what forums are for. Feedback and discussions about potential improvements for all players. I came here because I love the game, not hate it. If I hated it, I wouldn't even waste my time posting my feedback. Why else would I be here? To talk about politics?

TigerLilly

Inkling
Thank you. If multiplayer was built like this, the tables would be turned for sure. Anyone defending Nintendo's decision in limiting salmon run needs to question "What if the same was applied to PvP multiplayer?" I also don't see rewards as being a justifiable excuse. Those can be added or removed on time frames, but not the entire game mode.
The thing is though Salmon run isn’t the main mode of the game, pvp is. So you can compare the two. In my opinion salmon run stresses me out so I can play it for long so I only play it to get the rewards, if I had it all the time I wouldn’t play, I know I would never because once I unlocked ranked in the original game I never played turf wars becuase I found it boring and not worth the time. Same for Salmon run I guess. Splatfests were the only thing that got me to play turf wars and that was because it was a timed event. You were also forced to play it but thats besides the point. Doing this is a smart move as it gives insentive for people to play salmon run when they can. Also I don’t believe you cant fit in some salmon run they are on all day and mostly in the afternoon/evening, now i dont know if this is just Uk times but I dont think Nintendo would be so kind as to give europe great times and America ****ty times. I was out all day and only got back an hour ago and have got tons of salmon run in and ive still got 4 hours left!

Sgt_Ludby

Inkling
NNID
Sgt_Ludby
At the very least, Salmon Run should be available 24/7 for private online matches. It's hard enough finding time to play the game, but when you add in coordinating with other friends who also work at different times, it's a real challenge to find a time when we all can play. And now throw in the timed element of Salmon Run, and there's a good chance that when we're all free to play, we can't even play the game mode we want to play.

Here in the central US, Salmon Run is open until 7:00 pm tonight. And then it's not available at all on Wednesday. Thursday will be from 1:00 am to 1:00 pm. Friday is from 7:00am to 7:00pm. And then it's not available at all on a Saturday. And then on Sunday, it's available from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am. So you'd have to wait six days to play with friends if you can only find time after 7:00 pm.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
So you'd have to wait six days to play with friends if you can only find time after 7:00 pm.
And even then it might not be worth playing. The second Salmon Run I got after I started playing was with the Octobrush, the Blaster, the Splat Charger, and the Splat Dualies (IIRC). It was a really awful set. Only one weapon with any range, and chargers are hard to use in the frantic Salmon Run. I tried 3 times and only even made it to Wave 3 once. The second game, we all died almost instantly, only 2 eggs collected. If I get a set like that after waiting almost a whole week to play, forget it. I may end up trying to play just once a month, get the unique gear item, and call that it.

Applecrow

Inkling
It's easy to dismiss any complaints about modes you don't play. I don't believe any argument can be made for closing off one part of the game aside from a fear of queue times...which isn't something they should launch with. Closing down Salmon Run isn't going to make me more likely to do a ranked match until I've completed the SP campaign and hit level 10 and don't have any other games I can play while waiting for my own preferred mode.

If they are that afraid of long queues, just rotate all the modes aside from Turf War (since you need it to level) and use a single queue. If you are fine with them closing off one mode to solve queues then why not any of them? Gives everyone the chance to play all the different modes Splatoon 2 gives us.

Zelda doesn't only let you do Shrines on certain days. Mario Kart doesn't block off the Shell Cup for Multiplayer just because the queues for Battle Mode are too long. It was a bizarre decision and I hope they will reverse it after getting a better look at the population.

jazuren

Inkling
NNID
Jazuren
I agree Salmon Run should just be opened all the time! It's really dumb that it isn't, the least they could do was give us a reason.

But at the same time...You'd never by another Splatoon game ever again? Just because of one thing that's not even the main attraction of the game? If you only bought Splatoon 2 because of Salmon Run, then it's kind of a pointless buy. That's like if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had Battle Mode restricted. I love Battle Mode a lot, and sure I'd be pissed off that it wasn't up to parr, but I wouldn't stop playing Mario Kart because of one thing. I still bought Mario Kart for Wii U, even though the battle mode was horrible because I over all liked racing, the main aspect of the game, more.

But you do you, that thought was just confusing to me. lol

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Yes. That's what forums are for. Feedback and discussions about potential improvements for all players. I came here because I love the game, not hate it. If I hated it, I wouldn't even waste my time posting my feedback. Why else would I be here? To talk about politics?
This is a very upsetting decision made by Nintendo. If this isn't changed, I'll have to reconsider ever buying Splatoon again after this. If I known this before hand, I wouldn't have bought it.
Look at this quote of yours. You opened the thread with this intense negativity which isn't exactly conducive to discussion.
Never had Splatoon 1
If you never played the first game and only got into it on Friday, how do you claim to love a game you've barely played? Do you really not care about every other game mode? It really sounds like you've already made up your mind and are only here for confirmation bias. Well, you do you, I guess.

Last edited:

StarSol

Inkster Jr.
NNID
StarSol
Look at this quote of yours. You opened the thread with this intense negativity which isn't exactly conducive to discussion.

If you never played the first game and only got into it on Friday, how do you claim to love a game you've barely played? Do you really not care about every other game mode? It really sounds like you've already made up your mind and are only here for confirmation bias. Well, you do you, I guess.
The point? They advertised Salmon Run so much. I already got the game and enjoyed it thus far. However, the Salmon Run situation along with how they presented it was misleading. The time restraints are unnecessary and yes, in the present? I'll enjoy the game. In the future? Probably not, if these time restraints keep me from playing. I wouldn't have bought the game if I'd known the full spectrum of the Salmon Run situation. But the rest of it is fine and fun. It's called a love/hate relationship. You're continuously making irrelevant posts instead of coming up with truly valid reasons in the pro or con aspect of the post. My overall point is, bad communication setup, bad time restraints, and bad friendly matchmaking if left unchecked by Splatoon 3 will be a no-buy for me. Again, feedback. Attacking a person's feedback with statements irrelevant to the post means nothing here. Was I a little bit ranty in the original post? Sure I'll admit it, but who isn't when something they thought was so right ended up being so wrong? Grizzco needs to at the very least be available much more often than the schedules say.

Intense negativity about my preferences on product future isn't so much a place for discussion as it is just face value consumerism feedback in addition to the topic at hand. I'm a huge fan of horde modes. I have enough PvP games already. I managed to squeeze just a little salmon run time the other day and it is easily my favorite horde mode out there on the market. It's kind of the same reason why people only buy call of duty for zombies. It's all they wanted mostly.

I think the reason Salmon Run isn't opened permanently is for balance. If you could play 24/7, then you could get a lot of money and food tickets simply by grinding in Salmon Run. One could say that Turf Wars and Ranked also brings in good money, but you can get hundreds of thousands of G if you play Salmon Run for around 30 minutes or so, what with the mega bonuses.

Is it unfortunate that you can't play Salmon Run at anytime? Very. But the limits are there for a reason.
That being said, I wish it was available everyday, instead of every other day. Just my opinion, tho.
Good points. I appreciate that. I really think they could just scale the rewards down then too. I think that they should at least have him available more. Much more. I'd play it just to play it. Screw the rewards. I just want to have fun. It's sad when rewards begin dictating people's preferences and overshadowing the simple "just for fun" aspect.

I agree Salmon Run should just be opened all the time! It's really dumb that it isn't, the least they could do was give us a reason.

But at the same time...You'd never by another Splatoon game ever again? Just because of one thing that's not even the main attraction of the game? If you only bought Splatoon 2 because of Salmon Run, then it's kind of a pointless buy. That's like if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe had Battle Mode restricted. I love Battle Mode a lot, and sure I'd be pissed off that it wasn't up to parr, but I wouldn't stop playing Mario Kart because of one thing. I still bought Mario Kart for Wii U, even though the battle mode was horrible because I over all liked racing, the main aspect of the game, more.

But you do you, that thought was just confusing to me. lol
It's a main attraction for me in my preference. I'm a huge fan of horde modes. I enjoy pvp here and there, but prefer pve mostly. So yeah. I'll enjoy what the game allows me to for now. It's kind of the same reason why CoD zombies is preferred by a bunch of players. I'm just that guy who loves horde modes. A great buy? If only my favorite would-be-most-played mode was unlocked more." But yes, if the locks don't come off, I'm probably not going to stay a customer of Splatoon in future releases. Not worth it to schedule my life around a video games' time. The pvp is great, those rotations work very well I feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It did say the salmon run would be an open/closed event weeks ago....

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Stop triple and quadruple posting, just quote multiple posts in one reply, it inflates the thread and makes it infinitely more difficult to read.

With that said, everything has been said about why it is the way it is, and you have yet to budge. So, this post was clearly made so that you and people that agree with you could circle jerk about how dumb of a move you thought it was. Was it a grade A decision on their part? Absolutely not, but there are plenty of reasons they did it, many of which have been brought up in this thread multiple times. Do you really think Nintendo decided to put a time wall on this because "lol, wouldn't it be funny if we locked a game mode behind a time wall"? They had their reasons clearly, be it balance, matchmaking, queue times whatever, they implemented it for a reason. You may not like it, but it's there for a reason.

ltshadowx

Inkling
Wow I am shocked with the people in here attacking the original poster about this. Really people? He has every right to be frustrated with its availability.

I'm in his boat, I work each day of the week for long hours, 7 AM to 7 PM Tuesdays and Thursdays do not work for me at all... so I just miss out on the game mode I've heard so much about.

How do you attack someone for being a little upset about that? What is wrong with you?

We're just asking for something to be changed with it so that some of us can play this mode we've heard so much about. That's all....

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Wow I am shocked with the people in here attacking the original poster about this. Really people? He has every right to be frustrated with its availability.

I'm in his boat, I work each day of the week for long hours, 7 AM to 7 PM Tuesdays and Thursdays do not work for me at all... so I just miss out on the game mode I've heard so much about.

How do you attack someone for being a little upset about that? What is wrong with you?

We're just asking for something to be changed with it so that some of us can play this mode we've heard so much about. That's all....
It's more than a little suspicious that you signed up today, this is your very first post, and your writing is in a similar tone to the original poster.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose

I too find it pretty odd you're a new account made today, and conveniently work 12 shifts just like OP.

Regardless, there were no "attacks" made in this thread.

ltshadowx

Inkling
Seriously? The game just came out, I had no reason to sign up until today because I was searching why salmon run was only avail tue and thur, and this post popped up.

Some adults in this world work, it's really a shock that the OP and myself actually work but want to play SR and we are two different people!? /shocking!

You don't look at your posts as attacks but they are because they don't help the question whatsoever. People have every right in the world to voice their frustration with a mode they would like to play but can't in a game they paid 60 bucks for. Stop fanboying so hard and just admit that we have a point, because we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom