• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Seabagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heart of Ice

Semi-Pro Squid
I don't personally care if people seabag. Time spent seabagging is time not spent covering turf or splatting squids.

In fact, I prefer they do it kind of like taunting in Smash Bros. My younger brother likes to play a scrubby Sheik and feels the need to taunt after every kill.

Suits me just fine though time spent taunting is not time spent charging needles or getting a better position. It also doesn't help that he can't accurately tell if he actually gimped me (or a last minute moving stage landing) and usually ends up getting hard punished with a smash attack.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
The points I've been making have nothing to do with the terminology of the animation but everything to do with various ways of reacting to them and not taking things so seriously. Even the animation of 'teabagging' in other games like halo aren't even really teabagging but just crouching. It's people that assigned it that and others who chose to either take it as a joke or take offense to it. Whatever the case the animation itself doesn't actually mean anything negative and if someone is actually doing it out to piss someone off there is still no real way to know. So why take offense to it? That's my point.

So I'm not putting any blinders on to some sort of negativity because there actually is none to begin with unless I were to assume there is. But I'm not a presumptuous person nor am I overly sensitive about benign things in life so it doesn't bother me when someone does the animation towards me.

Speaking of presumptuous, your assumption as to why I do the animation is completely wrong. I don't do it to feel 'superior', I do it because it's a video game not to be taken seriously, it encourages hilarity to anyone with a good sense a humor, in hopes the opponent will try harder next time, letting the opponent know I finally got them if they were given me a hard time, ect...

So again, you still lack any real substance as to how your argument is oh so true about why you react to something made up the way you do. Oh but of course, it's just a douchey thing to do.....good argument...
Hogwash again. My very first point in this conversation (that wasn't even directed at you) was, and I quote: "Teabagging is rude and douchey". YOU took issue with that statement to the point of making a personal attack against me, and for whatever reason are now trying to twist this into a conversation about... whether the animation is rude and douchey? I know you're trying to find some empty sense of validation, but you'll not find it from me if you don't stop moving the goalposts.

Teabagging or Seabagging are not just "animations". In other shooters you have to crouch. In Splatoon you have to turn into a squid. Nobody considers those motions, when used in the context of combat, as Teabagging or Seabagging. But if you're doing those motions with the intent to rub the victory in your opponent's face (and there is certainly video evidence enough on the internet of people expressing as much), then you're engaging in the act of Teabagging/Seabagging. That's how the words are used --- to describe when people are acting like douches in a shooter. If you're turning into a squid and it's not your intent to rub the victory in your opponents face, then obviously you're not Seabagging, are you? I'm not sure how dense you have to be to understand this simple point. If you're Seabagging, then you're a douche. But if you're not Seabagging, then you're not a douche. Get it? My point has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with whether you can or can't tell if someone is Seabagging or not. But if you ARE Seabagging and that's your intention, then trust me --- you're a douche.

And on a final note, the more you write lengthy essays in this conversation, the more clear it is that you are overly sensitive and taking things excessively seriously, because you're notably taking offense from your perception that people consider your actions douchey and unsportsmanlike. Just responding to these posts as many times as you have is indication enough, and even going out of your way to attack me and take a jab at my "maturity" (when I didn't even originally engage you in conversation) demonstrates that you're way too invested in this. So feel free to write another wall of text defending "Seabagging" and pretending to be a nonchalant carefree guy who doesn't get affected by things --- because the more you do it, the more it undermines your point of view.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Okay, I actually read your post this time, because you didn't repeat yourself as much.

Anyways, your point comparing it to middle fingers and cursing is a stretch. It's a stretch because...
1) Finger represents something actually vulgar such as a human body part. While Splatoon's animation really doesn't mean anything at all except looking stupid and 'I got you'.
2) People first made up teabagging as a joke because it looks ridiculous regardless of the intentions later on by negative ones. The finger is a straight up 'screw you' insult.
3) There is no way to tell why someone really does the animation through a game without voice chat. IRL you can tell right away how, why, and the intent of any words spoken.

No comparison. There really is none like at all.

Also, who ever said you should assume 'oh look, this is a kind of guy who wants to have fun' every single time? I sure didn't nor did I ever imply you should assume anything. What have I actually been saying this entire time through out my previous post DarkGold? That you cannot know what their intent is and even if you did you can simply ignore them, right? Or you could laugh because more than likely it's funny looking and really shouldn't be taken seriously especially in a video game about shooting eachother to begin with lol.

Assuming things as if they are fact without any evidence is what makes a person naive. Being quick to take offense in a video game regardless of the 'could be' reasons is naive. The opposite would be to laugh it off, ignore it, and/or not take it personally. It's very very simple.
1) How did you know if I repeated myself a bunch when you didn't read my posts?

2) For your first point, I was talking about teabagging in general, which seabagging was based off of. Teabagging represents a... sexual act forced upon, video game animation or not; they wouldn't be doing it anyway. The middle finger represents a... thing, like you said, being... well, you know, but it's got a similar intention; representing a sexual act.

And how do you know that's how teabagging originated in video games? I looked it up just now and didn't see anything backing up what you said, but I found it commonly called things akin to "the ultimate sign of disrespect", and because people were far away and ambiguous and not next to you at an arcade, they could get away with it. Keep in mind that a source that referred to the act as disrespectful agreed that the bobbing up and down animation looked funny. It started off in Halo, then earned its name in the second iteration and became more common due to the camera lingering for a while over corpses. The act is commonly frowned upon by older gamers, who usually report or kick players doing that kind of thing, and when a COD game rewarded players for teabagging, reviewers weren't really happy with it. As gamers mature, they tend to usually find the act immature and childish. That's what I found, and it looks like you're fighting an army of conflicting opinions on the matter when it comes to said gamers.

So yes, there is at least some comparison, if not to the point I showed.

Now, to your comment about how we can't determine how teabagging is intended: You're right; we can't determine it, and there are some like you who do it out of joking around. But the act of teabagging is obviously interpreted by plenty as disrespectful, and if others wanted to send the message of, "Come and get me! Hahaha!" why not just jump around while on screen in celebration or something instead of looking like you're trying to make a corpse "suck"? It's not hard.

People will be at least a little suspicious of trollish activity, even if they ignore it, and it's okay, especially considering the act's roots. It's a video game? Yes, but that changes nothing, because it's still taking advantage of being anonymous over the internet. We can be at least a little suspicious of whether or not there MAY be a troll trying to pester people, even if we ignore it and brush it off. This is my mindset when I play: If someone seabags me, I'll ignore it, but I will wonder how they are as people unless I know them. We don't know for sure if the person doing it now is one, but there has to be plenty among the group that has done so. Can't be overly sensitive about that.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Personally, I don't mind. It may be intended to be rude, but I find seabagging is too funny to hate.

MacTheWriter

Full Squid
NNID
CotePowerRangers
If your main goal is to simply kill people for scores, I could see that work. However, in Splatoon, where there are other focus, like covering the most areas in Turf War, it's rather pointless and wastes time that you would need to cover the opponent's turfs.

Also, only douchebags would do something like that. Splatoon is not a game like Call of Duty and Halo where a lot of douchebags, especially 12 years old kids, cover 99.9% of the game. Splatoon is for those who just want to have fun, even in a competitive way. Let's keep it friendly and healthy.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
You are all way overreacting, seriously. I mean, your inkling doesn't even leave a body behind to bag!
So far, it only happened to me twice, both in turf war. I'm level 28 as of now, not counting the fact i started over once. Believe me, this is no way a big thing you all should be worried about, sometimes you'll play with competitive squids... and sometimes you'll play with cheeky ones. Not much you can do about that, one of the things you'll have to keep in mind with playing online. If you hate it so much play ranked, i have yet to see it happen there.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Hogwash again. My very first point in this conversation (that wasn't even directed at you) was, and I quote: "Teabagging is rude and douchey". YOU took issue with that statement to the point of making a personal attack against me, and for whatever reason are now trying to twist this into a conversation about... whether the animation is rude and douchey? I know you're trying to find some empty sense of validation, but you'll not find it from me if you don't stop moving the goalposts.

Teabagging or Seabagging are not just "animations". In other shooters you have to crouch. In Splatoon you have to turn into a squid. Nobody considers those motions, when used in the context of combat, as Teabagging or Seabagging. But if you're doing those motions with the intent to rub the victory in your opponent's face (and there is certainly video evidence enough on the internet of people expressing as much), then you're engaging in the act of Teabagging/Seabagging. That's how the words are used --- to describe when people are acting like douches in a shooter. If you're turning into a squid and it's not your intent to rub the victory in your opponents face, then obviously you're not Seabagging, are you? I'm not sure how dense you have to be to understand this simple point. If you're Seabagging, then you're a douche. But if you're not Seabagging, then you're not a douche. Get it? My point has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with whether you can or can't tell if someone is Seabagging or not. But if you ARE Seabagging and that's your intention, then trust me --- you're a douche.

And on a final note, the more you write lengthy essays in this conversation, the more clear it is that you are overly sensitive and taking things excessively seriously, because you're notably taking offense from your perception that people consider your actions douchey and unsportsmanlike. Just responding to these posts as many times as you have is indication enough, and even going out of your way to attack me and take a jab at my "maturity" (when I didn't even originally engage you in conversation) demonstrates that you're way too invested in this. So feel free to write another wall of text defending "Seabagging" and pretending to be a nonchalant carefree guy who doesn't get affected by things --- because the more you do it, the more it undermines your point of view.
You contradict yourself. The moment you wrote your first post on this thread is the moment you were calling out everyone who does 'seabagging' hipsters and rude douches. So don't give me that 'it wasn't meant for you specifically' crap. You're full of it and terrible at arguing a legitimate point because you have none so far.

I've been on topic this entire thread and only respond when someone like you narrow mindedly calls out players with out evidence or tries to make up points that are actually not there to begin with.

I'm also choosing to respond because I simply can and it doesn't take long to. I guess it's undermining from your viewpoint because it must be a challenge for you to come up with actual substantial points.

Hogwash!

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I made a post about seabagging on miiverse and I got around 150 "yeahs". It's pretty frowned upon and I think for good reason. That type of behavior is not welcomed in this type of community. Keep that in your FPS shooters, like CoD or Battlefield (both of which I am huge fans of btw. Not trying to be judgmental)

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkI_eUACA
my favorite thing about this is that the guy in the comments asking what it is.

I've played him and he squidbags everyone!
it's ok though, because I got my sweet, sweet squidbaggy revenge.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
1) How did you know if I repeated myself a bunch when you didn't read my posts?

2) For your first point, I was talking about teabagging in general, which seabagging was based off of. Teabagging represents a... sexual act forced upon, video game animation or not; they wouldn't be doing it anyway. The middle finger represents a... thing, like you said, being... well, you know, but it's got a similar intention; representing a sexual act.

And how do you know that's how teabagging originated in video games? I looked it up just now and didn't see anything backing up what you said, but I found it commonly called things akin to "the ultimate sign of disrespect", and because people were far away and ambiguous and not next to you at an arcade, they could get away with it. Keep in mind that a source that referred to the act as disrespectful agreed that the bobbing up and down animation looked funny. It started off in Halo, then earned its name in the second iteration and became more common due to the camera lingering for a while over corpses. The act is commonly frowned upon by older gamers, who usually report or kick players doing that kind of thing, and when a COD game rewarded players for teabagging, reviewers weren't really happy with it. As gamers mature, they tend to usually find the act immature and childish. That's what I found, and it looks like you're fighting an army of conflicting opinions on the matter when it comes to said gamers.

So yes, there is at least some comparison, if not to the point I showed.

Now, to your comment about how we can't determine how teabagging is intended: You're right; we can't determine it, and there are some like you who do it out of joking around. But the act of teabagging is obviously interpreted by plenty as disrespectful, and if others wanted to send the message of, "Come and get me! Hahaha!" why not just jump around while on screen in celebration or something instead of looking like you're trying to make a corpse "suck"? It's not hard.

People will be at least a little suspicious of trollish activity, even if they ignore it, and it's okay, especially considering the act's roots. It's a video game? Yes, but that changes nothing, because it's still taking advantage of being anonymous over the internet. We can be at least a little suspicious of whether or not there MAY be a troll trying to pester people, even if we ignore it and brush it off. This is my mindset when I play: If someone seabags me, I'll ignore it, but I will wonder how they are as people unless I know them. We don't know for sure if the person doing it now is one, but there has to be plenty among the group that has done so. Can't be overly sensitive about that.
Let's not go in circles again please. All I really want to ask you right now is......how hard is it not to let it bother you so much or take it personally?

Kikaioh

Full Squid
Let's not go in circles again please. All I really want to ask you right now is......how hard is it not to let it bother you so much or take it personally?
We're not going in circles. You're just in hardcore denial and want to avoid even larger gaping holes to be torn open into your illogically mangled mishandling of this discussion.

Teabagging doesn't bother me on a personal level. I've encountered it so often in online multiplayer that I don't care anymore. But the motivations driving it are douchey, and people who do it are douchebags. Just because I call a spade a spade doesn't mean it's digging into me. How hard is it for you to understand that?

I'm guessing as hard as it is for you to not take this thread so personally. But feel free to reply again and just further prove it.

Ascen

Inkling
NNID
ascendtothetop
I personally find squidbagging to be pretty funny. When people do it to me after I get splatted, I just laugh. If I land the splat on them, I'll squidbag them in response. It's all just in good fun to me.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
We're not going in circles. You're just in hardcore denial and want to avoid even larger gaping holes to be torn open into your illogically mangled mishandling of this discussion.

Teabagging doesn't bother me on a personal level. I've encountered it so often in online multiplayer that I don't care anymore. But the motivations driving it are douchey, and people who do it are douchebags. Just because I call a spade a spade doesn't mean it's digging into me. How hard is it for you to understand that?

I'm guessing as hard as it is for you to not take this thread so personally. But feel free to reply again and just further prove it.
Uh huh, you quoted the wrong reply, I never said YOU were going in circles. My last post was meant for DarkGold only. Now you're talking about logic? Haha, you're getting more and more hilarious, first you claim what it is to be immature yet you can call people names. Than you're not even giving a sound or reasonable retort but rather choose to butt in my conversation with DarkGold that has nothing to do with you and you claim to have logic?! Bahaha, you're the one who is all over the place mishandling every thing in this thread, oh this is great!

Please don't reply because I'm taking this thread so personally and can't handle any more evidence of that! Rofl.......

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Please pinpoint what areas I repeated if I have done so. If you don't repeat everything, then I didn't go in circles; I added evidence. And I'm confident I did when I did research and found stuff out. Besides, people tend to repeat themselves in an argument on a regular basis, especially if it's to counter an argument against a point they made and still defend; how many times have you yourself called the animation "silly"? I have no issue with you repeating a point in general.

And again, as I mentioned in my post (did you ignore it AGAIN?), it is not enough to mentally trouble me or tick me off, but I WILL think the person MIGHT be a troll, especially considering the roots of teabagging. Don't care how you view it, other people view it differently, and it seems like you're having a hard time accepting that as natural.

Oh, and you can't say you've been taking this all personally when you've blatantly admitted to me that you stopped taking us all seriously and joked with us for amusement.

Koopon

Roller/Blaster Main
Switch Friend Code
SW-6418-2499-7488
The only similarities I see between teabagging and seabagging is the sound of the name and the act of taunting or celebration. It's the same as tapping "booya" after a splat.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
Uh huh, you quoted the wrong reply, I never said YOU were going in circles. My last post was meant for DarkGold only. Now you're talking about logic? Haha, you're getting more and more hilarious, first you claim what it is to be immature yet you can call people names. Than you're not even giving a sound or reasonable retort but rather choose to butt in my conversation with DarkGold that has nothing to do with you and you claim to have logic?! Bahaha, you're the one who is all over the place mishandling every thing in this thread, oh this is great!

Please don't reply because I'm taking this thread so personally and can't handle any more evidence of that! Rofl.......
Wait... so you're actually writing all these essays to different people in this thread? I guess I actually shouldn't have taken your claims of "not being overly sensitive" so much to heart, it actually led me to believe you were only butthurt by my claims that teabagging is douchey --- now it's clear you're butthurt by everyone who thinks teabagging is douchey. Thanks for clearing that up!

You contradict yourself. The moment you wrote your first post on this thread is the moment you were calling out everyone who does 'seabagging' hipsters and rude douches. So don't give me that 'it wasn't meant for you specifically' crap. You're full of it and terrible at arguing a legitimate point because you have none so far.

I've been on topic this entire thread and only respond when someone like you narrow mindedly calls out players with out evidence or tries to make up points that are actually not there to begin with.

I'm also choosing to respond because I simply can and it doesn't take long to. I guess it's undermining from your viewpoint because it must be a challenge for you to come up with actual substantial points.

Hogwash!
I said that teabagging is rude and douchey, and that people who do it are immature and that anyone who tries to defend it is a hipster. I do feel the same way about seabagging though, because by its very name it's a spiritual spinoff of teabagging. Since you very clearly enjoy teabagging, and the spin-off known as seabagging, then yes --- you're immature for enjoying a douchey and rude gesture, and are a hipster for trying to defend it.

Unless, of course, you don't actually think you're seabagging, and are actually doing something completely different that doesn't involve trying to mimic a douchey gesture. So why don't you clear things up once and for all and pronounce to everyone in this thread that you enjoy teabagging, and that you think that it's not douchey or rude? Tell everyone that you enjoy the idea of simulating dropping your nutsack into someone else's mouth when you defeat an opponent because you want to rub victory in their face, which is the essential idea behind teabagging and the whole reason you were so offended by my first post. It will make you look all the more foolish sure, but at least your position will be very clear.

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Wait... so you're actually writing all these essays to different people in this thread? I guess I actually shouldn't have taken your claims of "not being overly sensitive" so much to heart, it actually led me to believe you were only butthurt by my claims that teabagging is douchey --- now it's clear you're butthurt by everyone who thinks teabagging is douchey. Thanks for clearing that up!

I said that teabagging is rude and douchey, and that people who do it are immature and that anyone who tries to defend it is a hipster. I do feel the same way about seabagging though, because by its very name it's a spiritual spinoff of teabagging. Since you very clearly enjoy teabagging, and the spin-off known as seabagging, then yes --- you're immature for enjoying a douchey and rude gesture, and are a hipster for trying to defend it.

Unless, of course, you don't actually think you're seabagging, and are actually doing something completely different that doesn't involve trying to mimic a douchey gesture. So why don't you clear things up once and for all and pronounce to everyone in this thread that you enjoy teabagging, and that you think that it's not douchey or rude? Tell everyone that you enjoy the idea of simulating dropping your nutsack into someone else's mouth when you defeat an opponent because you want to rub victory in their face, which is the essential idea behind teabagging and the whole reason you were so offended by my first post. It will make you look all the more foolish sure, but at least your position will be very clear.
Nice essay. Now you're starting to go in circles. The only thing that's clear is that you're generalizing your argument because you assume that everyone who does the same ambiguous act is doing it for the same exact specific reason. At least that's how you're making it seem with your posts so far.

You say you don't take it personally but yet you feel the need to express your viewpoint in such a limited and unfounded way that proves nothing.

Maybe you are taking gaming way to seriously. Maybe you should lighten up a little. Maybe you should realize not everyone is a douche who jokes around in a playful way. Maybe, you should get over your self and develop a sense of humor.

Njok

Bouncer
Is it possible at all that i just get a laugh out of seeing somebody jump around turning into kid/squid/kid/squid? It looks silly and it genuinely makes me laugh (and how does it even remotely look like the thing @Kikaioh just described?). Once again i will state that if you immediately assume i am a douchebag because of that, it says more about you than about me.

My god, this thread...

Jeremyx7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeremyx7
Is it possible at all that i just get a laugh out of seeing somebody jump around turning into kid/squid/kid/squid? It looks silly and it genuinely makes me laugh (and how does it even remotely look like the thing @Kikaioh just described?). Once again i will state that if you immediately assume i am a douchebag because of that, it says more about you than about me.

My god, this thread...
No it's not possible!! Because it's so rude and unsportsmanlike!!! Our fantastical honor and pride must be safely guarded by the evil beings who want us to laugh in such a serious sport! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom