• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Show us your style squiddo!

Tyrfing

Senior Squid
I think you've quoted the wrong post, because it looks like you this is directed to my posts, right?
Whoops. Yes you are absolutely right about that, haha. I deleted the wrong quote. :)

I think it is basically like Phobos said. I've been using a set of armor with Damage Up, Special Charge Up, Ink Saver Main, Ink Recovery and 2x Ink Saver Sub as Well as 1x Special Duration Up. Right Now it is the set I've posted a few posts ago.
While you are right about the fact that it definitely shoots really fast, I think having Special Charge Up or Duration Up is really only beneficial for both the Standard and the Neo SoM as it even further enhances the SoMs great special power.
Bomb Range Up feels great on the SoM so I'm trying to get a set with both Bomb Range Up & Damage Up. (It'll be a said moment though as I'll have to abandon my samurai gear.)

You are actually able to throw 4 Burst Bombs without any Ink Saver Sub at all. The benefit of having Ink Saver Sub is having more Ink left to shoot after you have thrown bombs.

I personally don't use Run Speed. I've got Swim Speed on one of my sets because I like to push fast and it helps me to move around enemies in my own ink. I'd not say either of them is a must have as my main set doesn't carry these abilities and I do quite well without them. I would be interested in Phobos' experience with Run Speed so far, though.

By the way: You've got some nice sets, Phobos.

Njok

Bouncer
I agree about swim speed, i tend to run 2 mains of those and it's the reason why i was heart-broken and had to say my goodbyes to Ninja Squid. But i pretty much have the ZL button pressed at all times, even when shooting so that i dive back in as soon as i release the shoot button. But if run speed is something you recommend i will try it out. Can't hurt to try right? :D

Njok

Bouncer
Whoops. Yes you are absolutely right about that, haha. I deleted the wrong quote. :)

You are actually able to throw 4 Burst Bombs without any Ink Saver Sub at all. The benefit of having Ink Saver Sub is having more Ink left to shoot after you have thrown bombs.
Are you sure about this? I was testing a bit yesterday and i recall i could only throw 3 without ink saver. It might not have been a completely full tank than. But that actually changes a lot for me if it's 4 bombs.

Tyrfing

Senior Squid
Are you sure about this? I was testing a bit yesterday and i recall i could only throw 3 without ink saver. It might not have been a completely full tank than. But that actually changes a lot for me if it's 4 bombs.
Positive.
I've just tested it again to be sure. It's 4 bombs without any Ink Saver Sub.
It'll consume all of your Ink though.

Njok

Bouncer
Positive.
I've just tested it again to be sure. It's 4 bombs without any Ink Saver Sub.
It'll consume all of your Ink though.
That's fine, the only reason it's important to me is that i want to be able to throw another bomb in case i miss one. After the kill i'm diving back in so no problem if i have an empty tank. That slot can be used in a better way in that case.

Thanks!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium

Stats aren't anything amazing but I like the clothing, yes. Also if anyone can find me the cuddliest looking top that would be amazing and I'd be very grateful.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Thanks both of you, I'm a bit disappointed that this seems to be the only sweater but that's fine. It's very nice of you to look for me. :)

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
View attachment 996

When fully charged, the charger splats balloons with no defense at about 201.4 damage. Reason for all this damage is to decrease my charge time and to play this weapon virtually like a squiffer, but with range. I love playing this weapon in mid range combat. im proud of the shoes as it give me two ink recharges. its my 3rd the helmet was a luckly reroll (thank you snails), but although I would like something better than bomb range up :( (however im too worried to reroll it). I dislike facing a multitude of .96 gal weapons in groups because of their echolocation so i pack coldblooded to get rid of that nonsense as quickly to return to being unpredictable.
You look good and you're smart too! I might try this.;)

MuteBard

Inkster Jr.
You look good and you're smart too! I might try this.;)
Thanks! This method works very well as long as you can hit balloons for at least 198 damage(2 mains and 5 subs attack should give you 199.5). Any lower and it would be unfortunate to run into anyone running the smallest bit of defense when in a tight spot! Good luck and have fun!

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
Thanks! This method works very well as long as you can hit balloons for at least 198 damage(2 mains and 5 subs attack should give you 199.5). Any lower and it would be unfortunate to run into anyone running the smallest bit of defense when in a tight spot! Good luck and have fun!
Have you tried it on the dummies in the weapon testing area to see how a defense up would affect it?

MuteBard

Inkster Jr.
Have you tried it on the dummies in the weapon testing area to see how a defense up would affect it?
This is a quick something I put together incase i needed some sort of reference for (only) splatterscope/ splat chargers and attack up. The closer the percentage estimate is to 100%, the worse off I am.

VS 0 defense up

Amount of attack up used | Damage | Estimated charge needed for 1 hit kO
0 attack ups + 0 sub: 160.0 (100%);
3 attack ups + 0 sub: 195.8 (~74%);
3 attack ups + 1 sub: 198.1 (~72%);
2 attack ups + 5 sub: 199.5 (~70-69%) (also good)
3 attack ups + 2 sub: 200.2 (~68%);
2 attack ups + 6 sub: 201.4 (~67%) (allows coldblooded, favorite set)
3 attack ups + 3 sub: 202.0 (~66%);
3 attack ups + 4 sub: 203.6 (~64%);

VS 1 defense up

0 attack ups + 0 sub: 151.9 (100%);
3 attack ups + 0 sub: 181.3 (~85%);
3 attack ups + 1 sub: 183.6 (~82%);
2 attack ups + 5 sub: 185.0 (~80%);
3 attack ups + 2 sub: 185.6 (~78-79%);
2 attack ups + 6 sub: 186.9 (~76-77%);
3 attack ups + 3 sub: 187.5 (~76%);
3 attack ups + 4 sub: 189.1 (~75%);

VS 2 defense up

0 attack ups + 0 sub: 145.2 (100%);
3 attack ups + 0 sub: 169.8 (~91%);
3 attack ups + 1 sub: 171.6 (~90%);
2 attack ups + 5 sub: 173.0 (~89%)
3 attack ups + 2 sub: 173.7 (~88.%);
2 attack ups + 6 sub: 174.9 (~87.5%);
3 attack ups + 3 sub: 175.5 (~87%);
3 attack ups + 4 sub: 177.1 (~86%);

VS 3 defense up

//Was the hardest to estimate percentages, abandon quick charge hope if you ever see this much defense.
0 attack ups + 0 sub: 140.0 (100%);
3 attack ups + 0 sub: 160.0 (100%);
3 attack ups + 1 sub: 162.3 (~99%);
2 attack ups + 5 sub: 163.7 (~98%);
3 attack ups + 2 sub: 164.3 (~98%);
2 attack ups + 6 sub: 165.6 (~97%);
3 attack ups + 3 sub: 166.2 (~96%);
3 attack ups + 4 sub: 167.8 (~96%);

The reason why 198+ damage (or 72% charge) is so nice for me personally is that with the scope, the moment my screen INITIATES the zoom feature, its a visual indicator that I are already in KO range, given that the opponent has minimal defense buffs. Should I face someone with defense buffs and they are really close, I pray that I can get the 2KO with a short second burst.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Got some pretty good abilities for my Squid Marine armor:
JSK Splatoon Gear 8 (Squid Marine edition).jpg

The Quick Respawns and Quick Super Jumps allow me to get back into the fray faster, and the Defense Up Main helps with keeping me alive just a bit longer so that I can escape to safety or otherwise outlast an enemy shooting at me (which I feel Damage Up can help with). I'm also fond of the Ink Saver (Main) perks since they give a bit more ammo for my Neo Splash-O-Matic to work with and play into my Special Charge Up alongside my Ink Recovery Up. And Swim Speed Up is there just because.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Main account: Samurai set built for chargers.

Second account: Samurai set built for building quick specials and extending their durations. Good for support weapons (posted this set already in the thread)
I really like the Samurai set if you couldn't tell lol :)

wereyoshi

Inkster Jr.
NNID
wereyoshi
Switch Friend Code
SW-1149-3763-7213
MlWA773bRG8Z8E-5WD.jpg
MlWA773bVjoTY0a0M_.jpg
MlWA773bRwMrRxT6eb.jpg

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
JSK Splatoon Gear 9.jpg

From my Miiverse Gear Journal:
Gear Journal NMV1: Go Firefin Fishfries!

Got some neat abilities with this set. It's optimized for specials, but the Damage Ups are also nice for quicker splats. Coupled with the Splash-O-Matics, I'll be able to claim turf near the 1000p mark (if not over)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom