• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Shroomed Mafia. Over. Who won?

MajorasMask9

Inkling
NNID
MajorasMask9
@African American I don't really agree with some of what reed mentioned in his response, especially regarding waiting toward the end of the round to vote. But it's all personal preference I guess; I've seen his reasoning on not wanting to vote on the first day from several people in the past. Do I think it makes him suspicious? Not really. He's being cautious but in a way that I think a mafia-sided player might try to avoid for fear of looking suspicious. But that's just me and I think it's too early for me to want to put any weight on that kind of opinion yet.

@Thingyman nowhere worth mentioning lol.

@Squid Master Master any thoughts on anything that's been said so far?

##unvote: Widdle Mac

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@MajorasMask9 Despite the suspicion it might draw, I continue to hold that I don't really think that it's right to start voting on the first day, first off. I just don't think there's much to go off of, though I have to recognize the point that @African American brings up and admit that someone's gotta throw the first shots. So, honestly, I think the least suspicion thus far falls on him--it's too ballsy a move.

@xCoCo I don't know. I think it's important to vote when I have an idea of who to vote for. I think for certain it's important to VOTE at all, but I don't like prodding with it. Words seem to do for that, imho. Then again, I'm probably the newest at mafia here so... I probably don't know what I'm doing. xD

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
Guys we only have one more day - ; ^ ; I'm going to re-read and see anything that sticks out to me

if im not mistaken we have two days, about 44 hours. this silence is deafening though. ill get back in this thread tomorrow after i wake up but THERES GOTTA BE SOME ACTIVITY GOING ON.

Drez

Pro Squid
NNID
neokrw
Redadil4, Thingyman, and SquidMaster have been prodded.

Remember prod range is 24 hours, so you must post daily.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marigi174
Honestly, I can't make any informed decisions based around the small amount of activity we have ATM. Could we maybe have something that resembles the first game more? That was a lot of fun (albeit also the creator of headaches) and you actually had enough info to make a decision around.

Thingyman

Inkling
I'll take a look through the thread and give my thoughts.

Admittedly, I have so far purposely refrained from actively pressuring people, since I wanted to sort of let you guys play it out naturally without me - the new guy - trying to affect things too much, which could come off of as obnoxious. But this here isn't going to work out for us, we need to get the game started.

In other words, whenever you open this thread, don't just read the new posts and then leave again -- always make at least one game relevant post before leaving. The less information we have, the more random the lynch becomes. Many people like to say that it's impossible to lynch a mafia on Day 1 anyway, "so why bother",, but I don't agree with that.

Thingyman

Inkling
I'd laugh so hard if the mafia choose to lynch themselves on day 1 again...

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, ##vote: African American because he voted on post 1
just in case you don't reallise, that was a joke vote :]
Okay, this is super thin, but this is nonetheless the first thing to jump out at me. The underlined sentence in the first post reads to me as something that a mafia would say to actively make himself not look like a mafia. And the following post, where he's needlessly specifying that his vote was a joke vote seems self-conscious to me -- or at the very least, it's not a good post for a townie to make, since you should be applying pressure and shouldn't be telling people to not mind your votes on them.

Small mafia points to Marigi.

##unvote

##vote ReedRGale

what exactly do you define as yourself trying to "avoid randoming?" if you're talking about rvs (the "random voting stage"), why do you tend to try to avoid it?
@MajorasMask9 i think its fair to assume 2 scum in a 9 man all the time. at WORST 2 v 1 v 6 but thats confirmed not the case. also, what do you make of reed's response to me?

das all for now
I have some thoughts on African American based on these posts, but they are sort of contigent on me interpreting them right, so I'll ask: @African American -- what was your actual read on Reed when you first voted him, and what is your rad on him now?

I'm not sure if this was ever addressed (it doesn't look like it since this is a blind game) but would anyone who's played here before have an idea of how many mafia-aligned roles would typically be present in a nine player setup? I'd guess two off hand but three seems plausible. Would be a good idea if we could possibly come to an agreement on that before we get too deep into the game.

I'll throw a vote at Widdle Mac for now though as I know she's also a new user to the site, and should give her something to respond with when she gets back.

##vote: Widdle Mac
I like the top part that I've quoted here a lot. I mean, sure, a mafia COULD be tricky and say something like this, but I just don't tend to believe so. It seems genuinely like a townie who doesn't know the setup.

At first, when I read this post, I got sort of a tiny little paranoid feeling when I noticed the Widdle Mac vote here, since it was basically just parroting my own vote on Majoras (which Majoras didn't respond to), so it seemed like Majoras had taken my vote into account, chosen not to respond and then did the same thing I did, which he could've done as mafia here to imitate a townie (me). BUUUUUUUT... While I still have this little paranoid feeling, the top part of this quote mostly overrides it, and I'm inclined to believe that Majoras is probably a townie.

@African American I don't really agree with some of what reed mentioned in his response, especially regarding waiting toward the end of the round to vote. But it's all personal preference I guess; I've seen his reasoning on not wanting to vote on the first day from several people in the past. Do I think it makes him suspicious? Not really. He's being cautious but in a way that I think a mafia-sided player might try to avoid for fear of looking suspicious. But that's just me and I think it's too early for me to want to put any weight on that kind of opinion yet.
Right, and this is another reason that I have Majoras as probably townie. This thought process here is usually indicative of town: He disagrees with something Reed says, but he doesn't use it as an opportunity to suspect him -- rather, he is able to see it as something that probably makes him townie. It's rare for scum to be faking such thought processes, so I'm gonna go with this being signs of genuine towniness.

I... have been voted for? What.... does this make me? Where is the justice? Does it lie here, in my heart? Or must I seek it - must I seek it from the outside, or from within?

This, on one hand, gives me great fury, does it not? I.... have fury?

Would it be true or false to claim myself, a mere friar, as an experienced Mafia player? Perhaps, on one hand, have I played a lot? Or have I not? I would put my own personal claim, stake, LIFE into the fact that I have, indeed, played Mafia in the past - a good bit, but do I like playing it better, or hosting? A question for all times and ages - much like is the apple better, or the banana?
Mostly, I just want to say this @Widdle Mac -- it's gonna be tough to get a read on you, if you don't start posting in a more straightforward manner and start providing content :P

I'm sorry, this is just wonderful and I have to respond to it in one way or another. In any case, I think all of us have played, to some varied degree or other, and I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion that I'm on the lower end of the spectrum of experience. ^_^;;

@African American: I don't know, voting at random just doesn't seem to appeal to me because I like voting based off of personal choices that people make throughout the game. There are some that I feel are justified, and others I feel are not but voting randomly just mean.

That said, I admit that voting at all does move the game along because it forces people to actually make a move to defend themselves in one way or another... so I guess I have to admit, it has its benefits.

Man, I really don't play mafia enough.

In any case, I'm going to hold off on voting until about the last day when I've seen and read what others have written and I can get at least some level of a read off of them and who I think might be the mafia.
@MajorasMask9 Despite the suspicion it might draw, I continue to hold that I don't really think that it's right to start voting on the first day, first off. I just don't think there's much to go off of, though I have to recognize the point that @African American brings up and admit that someone's gotta throw the first shots. So, honestly, I think the least suspicion thus far falls on him--it's too ballsy a move.

@xCoCo I don't know. I think it's important to vote when I have an idea of who to vote for. I think for certain it's important to VOTE at all, but I don't like prodding with it. Words seem to do for that, imho. Then again, I'm probably the newest at mafia here so... I probably don't know what I'm doing. xD
Finally, I dig these two posts from Reed. Or well, I don't dig not wanting to vote in itself, but I believe these posts tend to come from a townie, who is genuinely worried about voting correctly and not f'ing up. It reads to me like a genuinely "insecure" (for lack of a better word) townie, who's going against the grain (everyone else is voting, basically) for something that he believes in. Furthermore, I like that he's leaning town on African American -- specifically, I think the "it's too ballsy a move" thing seems like something a townie says and not a mafia.

In conclusion, I have town leans on MajorasMask and ReedRGale.

I have a minor mafia lean on Marigi.

I have an undisclosed read on African American, that largely depends on how he responds to my question :P

I will vote in my next post, since I've forgotten the format.

exactly what thingy said. there is always SOMETHING that can be gotten out of the thread, and the knowledge that mafia is, in fact, posting means you gotta be willing to question what certain players mean by what they say.

i just finished my morning routine so ill be going back in on the thread after my shower.

@Thingyman when i first read reelrgale's post i thought there was something worth pursuing. it kinda seemed like he was cushioning his ambivalence to throw out a vote with not having a whole lot of experience, but his response to me made me feel more comfort in the fact that hed rather have an informed opinion before he does. i cant stress enough that i think thats the wrong way to play mafia, but thats another argument in and of itself. the general manner in which hes conducting himself seems cautious but interested in finding scum, so i dont see much of a reason to continue pushing forward.

i do, however, think that you have an interesting point when you brought up marigi's self-consciousness. i didnt really follow up on it cuz rvs and cuz life, but its weird that marigi insisted that that vote was a joke, going so far as to intentionally not bolden it in the first place. i know marigi is aware that votes in rvs arent typically votes that stick because of the last game, so that weariness worries me. i have some other thoughts, but i think i wanna flesh this out a bit.

##vote marigi

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Thingyman Wow. I tend to agree with most of that, though still hold my townie read on African American. That said, I would love to see Marigi's reasoning. In any case, that's something to go on and I'm willing to tentatively cast my vote though I really want to hear Marigi before I cast my ballot for good.

but for now...

##Vote: Marigi174

And now to the "most" part. I do tend to disagree with @Widdle Mac I like the post, mostly because I like amusing things but the more I thought about it--because it was the only post that stuck in my head--the more it seemed like overt shrouding. I mean, we can't get a legitimate read because of the humorous nature of the post, but it at least puts them next on the level of suspicion on my scum radars.

Still, that could be completely off and I do want to hear more from them. Silence is killer.

Marigi174

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Marigi174
I'm gonna do a full re-read of the thread in the morning and (hopefully) make a read.
I would love to see Marigi's reasoning.
The only reason I said what I said was because it was what was going through my head at that moment. I'm not the kind of person to hold off when saying things like what @Thingyman underlined, and it is something that I will most likely do in future games on this board too if we ever get something as amusing as what happened in the last thread. If you were to look at the last 2/3/4 pages of mafia 1 you'd understand why I said it a little more, because it was really hilarious and hectic at the end of day 1 and the beginning of day 2. I find things like that hilarious, and it usually takes me a few weeks to forget them :]

Thingyman

Inkling
@Thingyman when i first read reelrgale's post i thought there was something worth pursuing. it kinda seemed like he was cushioning his ambivalence to throw out a vote with not having a whole lot of experience, but his response to me made me feel more comfort in the fact that hed rather have an informed opinion before he does. i cant stress enough that i think thats the wrong way to play mafia, but thats another argument in and of itself. the general manner in which hes conducting himself seems cautious but interested in finding scum, so i dont see much of a reason to continue pushing forward.
Alright, so maybe I sort of gave away what I wanted you to answer to look good in my eyes, but I'm nonetheless giving you townie points for the way that you pressured Reed (and laid off again). Throughout the whole thing I got the sense that you were genuinely just trying to apply pressure and figure out where he was coming from. When you can "feel" that someone is voting someone for such reasons, it's usually a good sign in my experience. Mafia tend to be very rigid and mechanical in how they vote people - they're very one-track-minded, if that makes sense ("I need to place a vote" or "I need to get this person lynched").

You seem like a capable and intelligent player, so I'm not locking this read in or anything, but WP if you're mafia imo :P

I'm gonna do a full re-read of the thread in the morning and (hopefully) make a read.
Looking forward to it - if you're townie, please persuade me :)

redadil4

Inkster Jr.
NNID
leatherbelt
Random lynching seems fun though, and you can still get info out of it. Got to go for gold on the first day. So since mario is evil for stomping on innocent goombas,I
##vote marigi174
because Fludd helps mario and therefore Fludd is evil and if someone wants fludd in splatoon he must also be evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom