• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sloshing Machine: Analysis and Thoughts

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Are you positive it can OHKO? I only seem to cap at 96%. Or are you basing this off the opponent standing in your ink after you shoot?
Right. Not a true ohko but one-shots in game. since it takes a second or so to fully recover health im recording a decent amount of one-shots

Kaze

Pro Squid
Are you positive it can OHKO? I only seem to cap at 96%. Or are you basing this off the opponent standing in your ink after you shoot?
if you deal 90.0 dmg or more you can easily 1 hit splat with a direct hit even if they have ink resistance and were in your ink for barely a second or if they took any form of splash dmg. ( splat bomb splash dmg + a direct hit or your team mate's splash dmg + a direct hit )

second option works without dmg ups as long they don't run defense up.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
But unfortunately the regular Slosher outclasses it in that regard too thanks to it's burst bombs making it uber easy to get the chip damage necessary to turn the Slosher into a psuedo ohko and vice versa.

Kaze

Pro Squid
But unfortunately the regular Slosher outclasses it in that regard too thanks to it's burst bombs making it uber easy to get the chip damage necessary to turn the Slosher into a psuedo ohko and vice versa.
well I won't deny the regular Slosher is pretty good compared to the Sloshing Machine, but here is something you can try out with the Sloshing Machine in the test area.

stand diagonally to one of big test dummies on either left or right side between the big dummy and small dummy and aim at the big dummy furthest away and you will notice you will hit all 3 big dummies consistently, the 1st and 2nd dummy will take vortex / splash dmg while the 3rd dummy will take direct hit dmg. ;)

( it slightly work with the regular Slosher but it will not even consistently hit 2 big dummies, while the Sloshing Machine will consistently hit all 3 big dummies )

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Ohh boy, this was a weird weapon. Most of the time the strong points using this weapon was just the Splat bomb rush.

Hmm, arcing the projectile up so that you shoot over your opponents wont hit them if the vortex and the main projectile misses but instead it covers their feet with your ink. I wouldn't think you'd want that in a 1v1 unless you have height advantage or something like that. On the other hand you could use that tactic to ink their feet and throw a splat bomb or vice versa so you could probably get a splat easier...probably. And you can't wildly ink over a wall to hit someone who's behind it, I mean you still can, but not as easily.

3 defence up mains brings the Vortex to a 4 hit K.O (I think the damage was 98.0 or 99.8 on third hit?) But main projectile is still 2 hit regardless of defence ups.

It's nearly as bad as a Range/Rapid blaster at close range. You have to be great with your aim to get that 2-hit K.O, 3 hits are really slow and really, almost any other close range fighter would be able to beat the Sloshing machine in that situation.

I guess the vortex is good at hitting clusters of enemies gathered at a single place. But ehhh...

It's not looking too good for the Sloshing machine at the moment.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
well I won't deny the regular Slosher is pretty good compared to the Sloshing Machine, but here is something you can try out with the Sloshing Machine in the test area.

stand diagonally to one of big test dummies on either left or right side between the big dummy and small dummy and aim at the big dummy furthest away and you will notice you will hit all 3 big dummies consistently, the 1st and 2nd dummy will take vortex / splash dmg while the 3rd dummy will take direct hit dmg. ;)

( it slightly work with the regular Slosher but it will not even consistently hit 2 big dummies, while the Sloshing Machine will consistently hit all 3 big dummies )
Thankfully there aren't any squid kids that big lel. The Slosher is capable of hitting multiple regular sized squids, and I've gotten a number of double and even triple splats at once with it, so hard to say that's really an advantage for the Sloshing.

Kaze

Pro Squid
Thankfully there aren't any squid kids that big lel. The Slosher is capable of hitting multiple regular sized squids, and I've gotten a number of double and even triple splats at once with it, so hard to say that's really an advantage for the Sloshing.
The Sloshing Machine works on regular sized dummies too, I picked the big dummies because it was easier to describe the placement for the test, also the Sloshing Machine have bigger AoE on the startup compared to the Slosher thanks to the vortex, and for the regular Slosher to hit multiple targets the wave has to land on all the dummies, while the vortex gives the Sloshing Machine bigger AoE and can still hit targets even if the main projectile misses.

EDIT: let me give you a better example, go to the test area and stand on the left side or the right side next to the 4 small test dummies with defense ups, if you stand in the right spot and shoot a projectile inbetween the dummies then the Sloshing Machine will hit all 4 dummies then stay in the same spot and try to hit all 4 dummies with the Reguler Slosher with 1 button input.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The Sloshing Machine works on regular sized dummies too, I picked the big dummies because it was easier to describe the placement for the test, also the Sloshing Machine have bigger AoE on the startup compared to the Slosher thanks to the vortex, and for the regular Slosher to hit multiple targets the wave has to land on all the dummies, while the vortex gives the Sloshing Machine bigger AoE and can still hit targets even if the main projectile misses.

EDIT: let me give you a better example, go to the test area and stand on the left side or the right side next to the 4 small test dummies with defense ups, if you stand in the right spot and shoot a projectile inbetween the dummies then the Sloshing Machine will hit all 4 dummies then stay in the same spot and try to hit all 4 dummies with the Reguler Slosher with 1 button input.
The problem is the AoE on the highest damage hitbox is far smaller than the Slosher's, both vertically and horizontally. Coupled with it's higher range and fire rate, the Slosher has a much easier time getting ideal hits, which is especially good for the vanilla since it only needs one.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
In my opinion, the only redeeming quality of the Sloshing Machine is its ability to cancel out the Inkzooka.

I'm not sure if that's possible with other weapons. I've always used close ranged ones so I probably have never used a weapon that could cancel out an Inkzooka. I am also not entirely positive that it's the way it seems but this is just what I saw when testing out the Inkzooka. If you see the Inkzooka's tornado heading for you and you throw ink directly at it with the Sloshing Machine, it will stop the Inkzooka's trail dead in its tracks. Pretty interesting as I've never seen anything cancel out the Inkzooka like that.

I did this tonight during Museum d'Alfonsino. It was completely by accident. I saw the tornado coming for me and it was reflex to hit ZR. I didn't expect the tornado to simply disappear like that and I was confused at first, but I kept aiming at the tornado and it cancelled out every shot the Inkzooka gave until my team mate was able to sneak around them and take them out. I cancelled out like 3 shots from the Inkzooka. But like I said, I don't know if other weapons could do this as I've never seen it before but I also use mainly rollers, sloshers, and brushes. It was really interesting though and it's indeed an interesting and redeeming quality about the Sloshing Machine.

However, I'm not a fan of the Sloshing Machine - and I say this as a Slosher main.

In all honesty, the Sloshing Machine reminds me more of a blaster than it does of an actual Slosher. It doesn't seem to work the same way that the other Sloshers do and that seems to hinder it more than help it. I've already encountered people who are excellent with the Sloshing Machine but I could never do very well with it. I admit that I may not be using it right but I felt like the Splat Bombs were more helpful than the actual weapon.

The weapon has a stall point between throws which can give it trouble in close combat. The other Sloshers swing much faster and would fair much better in close combat - which is usually where Sloshers find themselves much of the time. It's also got a bit of an awkward throw angle and path in my opinion. I couldn't get used to it to accurately aim or cover turf well.

It also eats up ink really fast. I may not have been paying close enough attention but it seems to use up your ink a lot faster than the other Slosher class weapons do. It might be beneficial to run some Ink Savers on the weapon - either sub or main. I don't know. I don't think this was cohesively put together review on the Sloshing Machine. My apologies for that. ^.^"

I may come to like the Sloshing Machine in the future but right now, I'm seriously disappointed with it and I don't like it. I think I'll just stick with my Tri-Slosher and Slosher Deco for the time being.

Kaze

Pro Squid
The problem is the AoE on the highest damage hitbox is far smaller than the Slosher's, both vertically and horizontally. Coupled with it's higher range and fire rate, the Slosher has a much easier time getting ideal hits, which is especially good for the vanilla since it only needs one.
you're probably right, oh well... this is the results at least

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
if you deal 90.0 dmg or more you can easily 1 hit splat with a direct hit even if they have ink resistance and were in your ink for barely a second or if they took any form of splash dmg. ( splat bomb splash dmg + a direct hit or your team mate's splash dmg + a direct hit )

second option works without dmg ups as long they don't run defense up.
Well then that isn't an OHKO. Also, with or without Ink Resistance Up, in order to acquire 10 points of damage you have to be in the enemy ink for quite a bit of time. Definitely more than a second, other wise the Bamboozler would have absolutely no problem one shotting. They have to be in your ink for quite a while, AKA, not happening. It will always be a Two Hit KO, and with that, there is no way I'm choosing the Sloshing Machine over the Vanilla Slosher when I can just Bust Cancel my way through people. It's an interesting weapon, but it has exactly 1 redeemable quality that warrants it being selected over the Vanilla Slosher.

It's Hitbox is wonky as all hell, despite having the Highest Damage output of all Sloshers, it's still a 2HKO, you can't hit things immediately in front of you if you're arcing your shots like you would any other slosher, it's pretty slow, even for a slosher, so that leaves the positive being Splat Bomb and Splat Bomb Rush which is amazing for Spacing. No way is that enough to get me to choose the Sloshing Machine over literally any other Slosher.

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
It's okay, but it requires a ton of percision, and it's range is so short that it has trouble with weapons that outrange it. Like other sloshers, does best on slopes/ when it has height advantage.

Kaze

Pro Squid
Well then that isn't an OHKO. Also, with or without Ink Resistance Up, in order to acquire 10 points of damage you have to be in the enemy ink for quite a bit of time. Definitely more than a second, other wise the Bamboozler would have absolutely no problem one shotting. They have to be in your ink for quite a while, AKA, not happening. It will always be a Two Hit KO, and with that, there is no way I'm choosing the Sloshing Machine over the Vanilla Slosher when I can just Bust Cancel my way through people. It's an interesting weapon, but it has exactly 1 redeemable quality that warrants it being selected over the Vanilla Slosher.

It's Hitbox is wonky as all hell, despite having the Highest Damage output of all Sloshers, it's still a 2HKO, you can't hit things immediately in front of you if you're arcing your shots like you would any other slosher, it's pretty slow, even for a slosher, so that leaves the positive being Splat Bomb and Splat Bomb Rush which is amazing for Spacing. No way is that enough to get me to choose the Sloshing Machine over literally any other Slosher.
without ink resistance you take 50 dmg over 3 seconds while standing in enemy ink, so you take around 16.6 dmg by standing in enemy ink for 1 second and I have gotten my direct hit dmg on the Sloshing Machine up to 92 dmg so they would have to stay in enemy ink for 0.5 second to take 8.3 dmg to make it a 1 hit splat, but I agree that the other Sloshers are better then the Sloshing Machine.

Kaze

Pro Squid
everyone is probably right about the Sloshing Machine being less useful compared to the other Sloshers, but at least it have decent AoE.

Last edited:

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
without ink resistance you take 50 dmg over 3 seconds while standing in enemy ink, so you take around 16.6 dmg by standing in enemy ink for 1 second and I have gotten my direct hit dmg on the Sloshing Machine up to 92 dmg so they would have to stay in enemy ink for 0.5 second to take 8.3 dmg to make it a 1 hit splat, but I agree that the other Sloshers are better then the Sloshing Machine.
Then they would have to have already taken that amount of damage. Because regardless of what percentage you are at, standing in enemy ink won't kill you, i just racks up damage. So, I suppose it is an OHKO in VERY specific situations, much like the Bamboozler. Otherwise it is always a 2HKO.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I haven't digested everything that's been said in this page so my observations might repeat what's been said. That aside, here are my quick thoughts after comparing it with the slosher (not really going to compare the tri-slosher yet) in the range:
  • I'm attempting an Ink Saver loadout (2 mains 0 subs) and I can get 18 consecutive shots...which is the same number I get on the slosher.
  • Has a lower firing rate than the slosher.
  • Movement while firing is slightly faster than the slosher but otherwise quite negligible.
  • Similar to how the devs balance the weapon types, this feels like it belongs under the precision class (think Splattershot Pro) as opposed to the slosher (Splattershot) and the tri-slosher (Splattershot Jr.). Of course, it's arguable that the slosher is even friendlier than the tri-slosher but well, the width of spread here is the similarity.
  • Graphically the slosher looks like it has a wide hitbox, but actually the vortex of the sloshing machine is wider. Damage done this way is lower than the slosher's though. As a point of reference, if you stand in the right spot in the upper area of the firing range, you can damage 4 of the regular squid dummies with every shot.
  • One thing I feel they might need to fix is the reticle indicating the sweet spot range. Maybe there's something I'm misunderstanding but sometimes even when the reticle isn't lit up I can still get a 'ping' shot. This makes visual confirmation with the reticle a bit confusing IMO.
That's it for now. I love the weapon though, simply cause it turns me into a shoto-squid shooting ink hadoukens. Gonna try it with the sushi chef outfit for aesthetic cohesion :D

Last edited:

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
In my opinion, the only redeeming quality of the Sloshing Machine is its ability to cancel out the Inkzooka.

I'm not sure if that's possible with other weapons. I've always used close ranged ones so I probably have never used a weapon that could cancel out an Inkzooka. I am also not entirely positive that it's the way it seems but this is just what I saw when testing out the Inkzooka. If you see the Inkzooka's tornado heading for you and you throw ink directly at it with the Sloshing Machine, it will stop the Inkzooka's trail dead in its tracks. Pretty interesting as I've never seen anything cancel out the Inkzooka like that.

I did this tonight during Museum d'Alfonsino. It was completely by accident. I saw the tornado coming for me and it was reflex to hit ZR. I didn't expect the tornado to simply disappear like that and I was confused at first, but I kept aiming at the tornado and it cancelled out every shot the Inkzooka gave until my team mate was able to sneak around them and take them out. I cancelled out like 3 shots from the Inkzooka. But like I said, I don't know if other weapons could do this as I've never seen it before but I also use mainly rollers, sloshers, and brushes. It was really interesting though and it's indeed an interesting and redeeming quality about the Sloshing Machine.
If this and other weapons can do something like that, it definitely needs to be tested. That's some very strong tech in the right hands.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I didn't play with it but I played against a lot of them, so here is what I observed:

It definitely doesn't play the same as the slosher or tri-slosher, but I think that is the point. It favors the more accurate, less braindead ZR mashers. The vortex makes it a good support weapon to spread damage around and pressure, while the main hit does enough damage to be aggressive (if you have good aim). It seems to be able to charge bomb rush fairly quickly, which is a monster of a special. Two sloshings using bomb rush is a force to be reckoned with!

I know most people won't want to use any weapon just for its sub and special, but this might be an exception.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
I just tested it; the Sloshing Machine does not appear to stop Inkzooka. They were probably shooting into a tree or grate or wall.

Jeffrizzel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Jeffrizzel
It's NOT a slosher. It works nothing like a slosher. It shoots vortex shots. More like streams than sloshes at all. The ark of the ink sucks for using it to splat someone on the other side of a wall. All the other shooter weapons have better arks for shooting around a wall. This weapon is somewhat like a blaster, but not really and the shot just falls off instead of bursting mid air. There are much better options. For a slosher, use one of the actual sloshers. For a blaster, use any blaster. For long range, use the 96 gal. There just isn't any advantage to this weapon and you will get easily flanked. If the vortex was wider and did a bit more damage, it would be better. And, if the shot didn't go limp at the end, it would also be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom