• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Sloshing Machine: Analysis and Thoughts

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I think this weapon would be a viable alternative to the other sloshers if the vortex was a two-shot by itself, or maybe just very close to it.
So it would be a 2 shot initially, but easily reduced to 3 via 1:ability_defenseup: main or 2 subs? Or something like that. Doesn't sound too bad.

Considering what i did say before about the weapon. There's really not much going for this weapon, it has little remarkable traits going for it. Splatbomb rush, and the vortex AOE(?) that has the chance to splat multiple squids really close together. Plus It's a washing machine.

That said, i'm willing to give it go. I don't know if i'm better with the original slosher (and Deco). I know i'm terrible with the Tri Slosher so the Sloshing machine is the Slosher for me!....For now.

I know people must already have a specific set for this weapon. But for those that might be interested in hearing a suggestion, try stacking :ability_bombrange: :ability_specialcharge: :ability_inksavermain: and if you can :ability_runspeed: or replace :ability_runspeed: with :ability_swimspeed: if your going to use:ability_inkrecovery: instead of :ability_inksavermain:. They seem to be the abilities that go well with the weapon, see if you do well with it. Based on theory though. I haven't really tried it and the chances of me trying it are slim due to my love for my current gear set.

So yep, i'm going to be spending more time with this weapon.

So it would be a 2 shot initially, but easily reduced to 3 via 1:ability_defenseup: main or 2 subs? Or something like that. Doesn't sound too bad.
Yeah, it would make the Sloshing Machine really good, while also giving it a simple counter if you find it annoying.

Plus It's a washing machine.
Undeniably a plus. Your opponents seeing "Splatted by Washing Sloshing Machine!" makes it even better!

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
Like the original Slosher this weapons concept is so crazy you just want to learn it irrespective of it's viability. I haven't rampaged through rank with it but I'm getting pretty good at turfing with it. If you aim is decent it's no worse than the original Slosher possibly a little better not counting the benefits of burst cancelling.

As Nintendome said this weapon would have been unstoppable if it had burst bombs and burst bomb rush

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Well, me being extremely late to this party here, I finally tried out the Sloshing Machine this morning. Definitely a power-type Slosher that suits others more than I, but for what it was and what I played of it, I liked it just fine. I do enjoy the almost Blaster-like mechanics it has with the vortex and just the amount of impact it has, not to mention damage (seriously I tried this thing out on the new Mahi Mahi Resort and with the right timing and spacing, this thing is knockback mortality to Bubblers and Krakens). Damage Up is great for both increasing the chance of a 1-hit kill and improving the damage radius of Splat Bombs, which is especially good for the Splat Bomb Rush. Also I tended to notice often running out of ink, so Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Refil Up are both very beneficial here. Splat Bombs and Splat Bomb Rush are fun as always and great for flat maps and height advantages, in fact this weapon in general is made for the height advantage, which makes it remind me somewhat of the Dynamo Roller, or Gold Dynamo Roller to be specific since that also has a Splat Bomb sub. But like those weapons, I enjoy the power that this weapon has but I don't see it fitting my method of play. And now here are the abilities I would personally recommend for this thing:

Stackable:

:ability_damage:
:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_bombrange:
:ability_specialduration:

Main-Exclusive:

:ability_lastditcheffort:
:ability_stealthjump:
:ability_comeback:
:ability_inkresistance:

ikaika

Inkling
I like the sloshing machine. Its my new favorite blaster.

To me, the weapon is basically a rapid blaster that is functional at both short and medium range. At medium range, its like the rapid blaster, but with more oomph and a weird splash. The short game is where the two weapons differ. If a splattershot moves from medium to short range, this is typically a death sentence for a rapid blaster. For the sloshing machine, this is no problem since the sloshing machine's vortexing and hitbox let you nab enemies as they rush you. This really helps ease the nerf wounds. Overall, the sloshing machine fills a niche: medium-range wide open areas. This happens to be exactly the range that blasters are weak in.

Plus its a washing machine.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I like the sloshing machine. Its my new favorite blaster.

To me, the weapon is basically a rapid blaster that is functional at both short and medium range. At medium range, its like the rapid blaster, but with more oomph and a weird splash. The short game is where the two weapons differ. If a splattershot moves from medium to short range, this is typically a death sentence for a rapid blaster. For the sloshing machine, this is no problem since the sloshing machine's vortexing and hitbox let you nab enemies as they rush you. This really helps ease the nerf wounds. Overall, the sloshing machine fills a niche: medium-range wide open areas. This happens to be exactly the range that blasters are weak in.

Plus its a washing machine.
really what it comes to. its like easy mode rapid blaster. It might end up being better in some stages with tighter spaces. does anyone know the firerate compared to the rb?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
really what it comes to. its like easy mode rapid blaster. It might end up being better in some stages with tighter spaces. does anyone know the firerate compared to the rb?
It's definitely slower than the normal Rapid Blasters and I think just slightly slower than the Rapid Blaster Pros (yes I'm using the plural even though the Deco variant has not been released as of me writing this). To compensate for that, of course, it's easier to aim and has a greater height advantage (although with Suction Bomb Rush, the Rapid Blaster Deco does fairly well with height advantages also, but not as good as this weapon).

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
It's definitely slower than the normal Rapid Blasters and I think just slightly slower than the Rapid Blaster Pros (yes I'm using the plural even though the Deco variant has not been released as of me writing this). To compensate for that, of course, it's easier to aim and has a greater height advantage (although with Suction Bomb Rush, the Rapid Blaster Deco does fairly well with height advantages also, but not as good as this weapon).
Actually, the Sloshing machine is slightly faster the rapid blaster. The rapid blaster repeats its fire every 35 frames. While looking at the data for this weapon, I noticed that it repeats shots every 34 frames.

Another fact that I saw in the parameters of this weapon is that its initial swing is actually 3 frames faster than the normal slosher. It is the same speed as that of the Tri-Slosher.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I really like the sloshing machine. I don't really have an analysis of it, I just find it really fun to use. Splat bomb rush is great for creating anarchy and it's just satisfying. I use it in ranked and do pretty well. I also like it a lot for turf wars. I find aiming at the ground tends to be more efficient when inking a hallway or something cause it makes a big fat splat rather than a thin one with a big blob at the end.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I really like the sloshing machine. I don't really have an analysis of it, I just find it really fun to use. Splat bomb rush is great for creating anarchy and it's just satisfying. I use it in ranked and do pretty well. I also like it a lot for turf wars. I find aiming at the ground tends to be more efficient when inking a hallway or something cause it makes a big fat splat rather than a thin one with a big blob at the end.
Yeah I found the same thing. The big slosh at the end is pretty much the main focus of this weapon, both for turfing and killing.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Ok, so I was bored and I my washing machine just broke...so instead of taking my frustration out on my washing machine I figured I'd use a washing machine to take out my frustrations...

Anyway, I really like this weapon. It doesn't play like the other sloshers, which is probably why I like it. It feels like a semi-automatic rapid blaster that does burst damage in the middle of its range instead of just at the burst. The splatbomb is always great and the bomb rush is really powerful. It uses a lot of ink, but it seems to charge the special fairly quickly and is pretty good at pressuring with the right positioning. I'm going to keep practicing with it and see if my win streak continues.

I'm currently using this set:
:head_hdp000: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:clothes_tly007: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Although I've thought of going with the :shoes_bot003:for run speed...

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
So I didn't really like that set after awhile - it was not killing people as well as I'd hoped. So I switched things up a bit and landed on this:

:head_eye005: :ability_damage:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_damage:
:clothes_tel003: :ability_damage:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_quickrespawn:
STRAPPING REDS :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: (why is there no picture for the strapping reds?)

The two main damage ups + 1 sub makes it so that one direct hit OR two indirect hits deals 90 damage. This was causing a lot more OHKO or 2HKO (with indirect hits). The bit of added duration up helped also. The weapon definitely guzzles ink, so I stacked the ink saver. When I perfect-out the shirt I will probably switch to:
:shoes_sht002::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: (which I need to reroll as well)
That way I'll have a pretty efficient (if hideous) setup.

I haven't missed the swim speed as much as I thought I would, but I guess when you're splatting people more frequently you don't need to run away or respawn and swim as much. Figuring out the effective range and how to space yourself while strafing is also key. It isn't an easy weapon to master, but it was rewarding.

I don't know if I'd play this outside of Turf War (maybe splatzones) but it is actually a lot of fun to cover ink and get splats with!

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
Due to the weapon being a 2HKO with 1 damage up sub, I find that this weapon lends itself to being configured widely with all the other main abilities. Generally I think at least 1 ink saver/recovery is required and maybe some swim speed up but as I like to think, it all depends on one's personal playstyle.

Speaking of person, I went with bomb sniffer on my shoes for a simple reason: sometimes while doing bomb rushes it's easy to not see an enemy's splat bomb so having the indicator really helps me throw more splat bombs with total abandon :D

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Wow, I changed my mind on my build quickly and totally forgot I ever ran damage ups.

I ended up with:
Studio Headphones :head_hdp000: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Red Vector Tee :clothes_tes013: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
(lots of red...)
The weapon sucks ink, so lots of ink saver main. Getting bomb rush quickly is pretty easy and the duration helps you keep it for longer.

I guess I should go back and try my damage up set again, but no amounts of damage up will make a two-indirect-hit kill possible, which kinda turned me off. But maybe I was onto something with that old set. I really love this weapon though and I will likely finish out splatfest with it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
It may be crude, but I like to go all-in with Damage Up for this weapon, spare slots preferably going to Ink Saver (Main) or Ink Recovery Up. The rationale is that, even though it never reduces the number of hits I alone require to take out an opponent, it does mean that a direct hit or two indirect hits will defeat an opponent with the slightest splash damage. I'll have to experiment with suggestions from this thread, though, as I've yet to try much else.

I use the Sloshing Machine in two modes. Tower Control is a neat fit for it because I find that, even more so than other buckets, the Machine is great for attacking the Tower; also, it's the only bucket with a bomb that can be placed on-board (as none have Suction Bombs or Ink Mines). Otherwise, Bomb Rush makes it excellent for Splat Zones with a large Zone in a depressed section or otherwise surrounded by walls. This also includes Triggerfish, where Splat Bombs are easily thrown to the opponents' Zone with the wall behind it preventing them from overshooting. It's easier to use defensively than offensively, in my impression, as one really needs the initial advantage of, for example, a high spot that's being guarded in order to win any one-on-one battle with a quick Shooter.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd imagine the best amount of dmg up would be however much you need to kill with one direct hit and an indirect splat bomb, provided that isn't too much dmg up (a lot of the dmg up gear looks horrible together, in my opinion)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'd imagine the best amount of dmg up would be however much you need to kill with one direct hit and an indirect splat bomb
So precisely none? Neat!

I've completely changed my playstyle for this weapon since I last posted here, uh, three months ago. Damage Up, I find to be a luxury; I've had wonderful times running :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkresistance: (my gear isn't good enough to get a coherent sixth main, else I'd probably run another :ability_defenseup:; also worth noting that this is impossible with natural rolls, and I need to use my :head_cap002: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_unknown: to put it together) of late. I was inspired to do that after a fateful Turf War on Flounder in which I was, time after time, destroyed by a very defence-heavy SM. Never checked them out in the plaza, but they must've been an S+... or I just really sucked that day.

The defence, of course, doesn't directly help it defeat opponents; however, it allows it to get into range much more consistently. Three mains increase the number of shots to splat for the great majority of Shooters one is likely to run into, provided that they don't run :ability_damage:; if they do, I guess it normally means that they're less mobile (having foregone other abilities). The SM can then utilise its flexible shots to, possibly over a period of time, get the two or three hits necessary from awkward positions. It is very capable of facing quick TTK Shooters as an equal; just needs to be annoying!

Anyway... although this defensive set is fun, I think there's still a place for a similar set to that which I run with other buckets - something like :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub:, perhaps substituting :ability_damage: or :ability_inkresistance: for one :ability_swimspeed:. I've never actually tried such a mobile set with this weapon, but it seems usable in theory. The ability to defend oneself shortly after tossing a :splatbomb:, is sorely missed with less ink efficiency (I'm still adjusting to it since I stopped running more than a single main of it), which is part of the rationale for it.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
So, after a while of experimentation, I can safely say that the Sloshing Maxhine is (in my opinion) among the top 5 weapons in the game.

I use a build of all damage up mains with ink saver and ink recovery for the subs.
I've found that flanking the zone on Camp Triggerfish works very well for the Sloshing Machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom