• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

So basically, the wait for Ranked Battle was meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
Ignoring my post and then giving a sarcastic response that in no way refutes anything that I said? Pathetic. Immature. Sophomoric. Honestly I shouldn't expect better, but I really want to.
Dope. Have a great night.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Yeah, sorry, but you can't call someone something like sophomoric without being immature yourself; that's some extreme projection right there..

And hey, Ranked Battle is happening right now, yet you're on here calling people names. What's up with that?
Excuse me? So a parent cannot call their child immature without being immature themselves? I cannot call my little sister immature without being immature myself? That makes zero logical sense. Also how mature I am is completely irrelevant to my argument, you are changing the subject because you do not want to respond to the points I made. You cannot expect people to take you seriously if you bail at any good argument anyone makes against you, and then resort to backwards logic to defend yourself. That bs doesn't fly with me sorry, I will always call people out like Nia that pull stunts like that.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Excuse me? So a parent cannot call their child immature without being immature themselves? I cannot call my little sister immature without being immature myself? That makes zero logical sense. Also how mature I am is completely irrelevant to my argument, you are changing the subject because you do not want to respond to the points I made. You cannot expect people to take you seriously if you bail at any good argument anyone makes against you, and then resort to backwards logic to defend yourself. That bs doesn't fly with me sorry, I will always call people out that pull stunts like that.
Yeah, I was kinda talking specifically about using the word sophomoric? What's your reading comprehension, dude?

Reactions: Nia

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Am not having problem with the game in fact, its enjoyable and addicting. But the defense force here is getting out of hand.

One was released as advertised. One is on patch 6 in the first 2 weeks of release to fix its problems.

Content from the Disc game

Yet i hear good things about Witcher 3, the thing is you compare it to Splatoon, and this game its very focusing on multiplayer. more likely why didn't you bother compared to any TPS multiplayer with less content in Single player at this point? Overall my last post for this thread.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Since OP made it apparent he has an agenda against the game and doesn't own it, I'm not sure why this thread is even open still.

Splat Zones were locked for several reasons:
-New IP
-New spin on the genre. Gives people time to understand what the game is.
-Server testing
-Allowing people to play and learn the game properly
-Allowing people to test different guns and strategies instead of rushing for a FOTM meta
-Prevention of dead lobbies if the game did not sell well. Ranked unlocked quickly so obviously this game sold well.
-Most importantly, because Nintendo chose to do so

They're testing a new method of content distribution to keep people enticed, and for the game to feel fresh whenever they boot it up. It's a new IP, why not test the waters here?

There is the promise of content that is free. This is not a shady company that the Reddit meme of "B-BUT THEY'LL PATCH IT" applies to. The content will be there. The content will be free. Whether later content has already been completed or not, we don't know, but that's irrelevant because we'll get it when we get it at no cost. If anything, less maps right now is better than more. Why? Because you get a LOT of time to play them, learn them, and master them. Over the next several months, we'll be given even more maps to do the same with. This is perfectly OK with me because even now I have 1 out of every 50 games where the other team can even hold me under 1000 points, and that's because my team dies the entire match. This game would be completely boring if majority of people didn't know their heads from their *** on a map, let alone the objective of the game yet. Giving people even more maps when they don't understand the objective of the game just leads to frustration and negative opinions of the game, which could hurt the IPs future.
I'm not arguing that its pointless anymore, I was wrong about that. But I WILL argue that it might not be the best method. Is it the worst thing that has come from nintendo? Not even close, not even to the top 1000 nitpicks. But there are many players that would rather buy the game used later BECAUSE of withheld features, you cannot pretend this isn't true. And calling those players out, Or telling them that they wont play the game anyway doesn't solve the problem.

How is it a problem?

Well its not. Its rather a solution? One to a problem that didn't really exist? (Which could be why "pointless" or "meaningless" were the words to describe such.)

It goes both ways. We could have just had a level 10 lock and it would make no difference.

New IP: Whats the point? You need to explain this?

New spin on the genre. Gives people time to understand what the game is: .It unlocked in two days, think people learned the game properly?

Server testing: We JUST had global testfires.

Allowing people to play and learn the game properly: Same with a level 10 lock.

Allowing people to test different guns and strategies instead of rushing for a FOTM meta: Above

Prevention of dead lobbies if the game did not sell well. Ranked unlocked quickly so obviously this game sold well. : If the game didn't sell well somehow delaying ranked games would solve this?

Most importantly, because Nintendo chose to do so: Also don't understand this point.

A level 10 lock would have been just fine, except for the issue of players getting more experience over other players. Which i don't see how that is an issue at all.

The point is nintendo could have benefitted from NOT withholding all the features to the point where the game is barebones. But whatever I don't really care that much the game is great.

Beariie

Full Squid
Its fine that they did it this way. There is really no reason to rush all the content out and have people all over the place. Atleast this way people an slowly progress through the content instead of tiring themselves out in the first week of play.

About the ranked thing on day 1. No i feel like that would of been a bad idea. A lot of people werent used to the game yet, some still arent, but it would have been a mess. Newbies playing against people who knew what they were doing.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
If you really think Cuddlefish is the only person waiting to get it used you are sadly mistaken. There are plenty of people waiting til the big update or to get it used based on how barebones this game is. Nintendo fans are so divided they are willing to spread their cheeks and take this incomplete game up the rear. There are others who will buy it but still voice their complaints and that is a good thing. I got it new but even with that said the game has major flaws and people should hold Nintendo to the same standards they hold 3rd parties to. Nintendo screwed up if you compare Splatoon to other Nintendo titles when it comes to content on launch (WE ALL GOT ROBBED) don't pretend you're any different not specifically LancerStaff but a majority of the fans who think this 3rd party tactics Nintendo is pulling is okay. People should just stop being apologist Nintendo has more apologist fans than any other publisher. It is okay to be pissed just saying we wont consider you less of a fan just because you are pissed at your favorite publisher. :)
Since when has Nintendo ever listened to the non-fans, the people who aren't pleased with the game's design? Smash? Nope. Mario Kart? Nope. Zelda? Nope. Pokemon? Nope. Hell, you could argue they don't listen to the real fans.

It's also proven to be a successful business model. Ever hear of Minecraft? Game was even more bare-bones for it's price at release, and content was released over years of time. Many advertised features simply vanished, others are unrecognizable, and those that do make it are often buggy. And yet it's one of the most successful video games ever. I really don't care what you think of it, and nether should Nintendo because it's working.

When Nintendo makes a design decision which impacts gameplay like this, they're not going to change it. People tried to remove AC's time-based features by not buying, but now we're technically six full games in with no signs of it disappearing. People tried to get Snaking back and have failed. People tried to make current Smash games more like Melee and are actively resisted. People boycott Zelda for just about any reason, and yet we haven't seen big changes because of it.

Your strategy has been proven to not work, so naturally it won't work now. Last time it did was the Xbox One, and that was an internet wide ****-storm, not a few guys patting each other on the back in an obscure internet forum.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Since when has Nintendo ever listened to the non-fans, the people who aren't pleased with the game's design? Smash? Nope. Mario Kart? Nope. Zelda? Nope. Pokemon? Nope. Hell, you could argue they don't listen to the real fans.

It's also proven to be a successful business model. Ever hear of Minecraft? Game was even more bare-bones for it's price at release, and content was released over years of time. Many advertised features simply vanished, others are unrecognizable, and those that do make it are often buggy. And yet it's one of the most successful video games ever. I really don't care what you think of it, and nether should Nintendo because it's working.

When Nintendo makes a design decision which impacts gameplay like this, they're not going to change it. People tried to remove AC's time-based features by not buying, but now we're technically six full games in with no signs of it disappearing. People tried to get Snaking back and have failed. People tried to make current Smash games more like Melee and are actively resisted. People boycott Zelda for just about any reason, and yet we haven't seen big changes because of it.

Your strategy has been proven to not work, so naturally it won't work now. Last time it did was the Xbox One, and that was an internet wide ****-storm, not a few guys patting each other on the back in an obscure internet forum.
Hi LancerStaff. Good to see you here. And yeah, this is what I am trying to say. From a business standpoint, it is a great tactic. And I mean, it is all coming anyway.

NNID
superalice256
I really like the idea of locking content like that, especially maps and stuff. Maybe it''s because I'm busy nowadays but when everything unlocked yesterday I had finally beaten storymode and was looking for something different than turf wars to do. In my experience I tend to power through my games and put them done after getting 100% super quickly. This is a great way to keep interest in the game going and strategies developing IMO. If we would have had all the content at once people would have already put it down and be bored. I wish more companies would do this honestly. I understand how it might piss people off who have tons of time or was planning on marathoning it but its for the best imo

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I really like the idea of locking content like that, especially maps and stuff. Maybe it''s because I'm busy nowadays but when everything unlocked yesterday I had finally beaten storymode and was looking for something different than turf wars to do. In my experience I tend to power through my games and put them done after getting 100% super quickly. This is a great way to keep interest in the game going and strategies developing IMO. If we would have had all the content at once people would have already put it down and be bored. I wish more companies would do this honestly. I understand how it might piss people off who have tons of time or was planning on marathoning it but its for the best imo
I just wanted to say thank you for not stating your opinion as if it's fact.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Not gonna comment much on the actual topic at hand since it's been beaten to death, except that I didnt mind the content lock and was excited when ranked got unlocked

I don't mean to offend you Cuddlefish, or anyone with this similar line of thinking (I mean, when a sentence starts like that one naturally prepares to be offended, but, I really don't mean this to be confrontational) isn't it a little.. ungrateful of us to refuse to give Nintendo money for a great game they worked hard on that we have the privilege to play, and their first new IP in years that needs our support, because we disagree with how it was offered to us? I can see the complaint that they're holding stuff back when you feel we deserved it now, but if someone offers you half of a delicious cookie and promises you'll get the other half of it later, is that really an evil thing?

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
Not gonna comment much on the actual topic at hand since it's been beaten to death, except that I didnt mind the content lock and was excited when ranked got unlocked

I don't mean to offend you Cuddlefish, or anyone with this similar line of thinking (I mean, when a sentence starts like that one naturally prepares to be offended, but, I really don't mean this to be confrontational) isn't it a little.. ungrateful of us to refuse to give Nintendo money for a great game they worked hard on that we have the privilege to play, and their first new IP in years that needs our support, because we disagree with how it was offered to us? I can see the complaint that they're holding stuff back when you feel we deserved it now, but if someone offers you half of a delicious cookie and promises you'll get the other half of it later, is that really an evil thing?
Its not evil, It just didn't make sense at first. If you are at a bakery, and you buy a cookie, does it make sense for the baker to split the cookie and say "If 20 people buy this cookie I will give you the other half?"

No. But i guess that's only one way to look at it. Other people seem to see it as getting a full cookie, and then when everyone is done with their cookies they get a BONUS cookie for being a loyal consumer on top of getting a few more down the road.

Another way to look at it would be an appetizer before a full meal. It just seems to be the way people look at it.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas

But see, to me Splatoon is a delicious cookie someone baked for me that is missing key ingredients, was spat on, split into pieces, and sold at full price. No I don't feel like supporting someone that would offer such a cookie.

Splatoon still needs voicechat, it's still beyond stupid that you can't back out of lobbies, and it's completely ****ed that there's only two stages to play on every 4 hours because of how little content the game launched with. The pure gameplay of Splatoon is worth experiencing, and even praising, but there's too much nonsense surrounding that gameplay for me to justify supporting the devs.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
I'm actually split down the middle with this.

Its possible to both have voice chat and make sure its not adult if the user doesn't want it to be.

I would never voice chat with randoms anyways.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
But see, to me Splatoon is a delicious cookie someone baked for me that is missing key ingredients, was spat on, split into pieces, and sold at full price. No I don't feel like supporting someone that would offer such a cookie.

Splatoon still needs voicechat, it's still beyond stupid that you can't back out of lobbies, and it's completely ****ed that there's only two stages to play on every 4 hours because of how little content the game launched with. The pure gameplay of Splatoon is worth experiencing, and even praising, but there's too much nonsense surrounding that gameplay for me to justify supporting the devs.
That makes sense I guess, I can't really blame you for not wanting to fully support it if it has so many things that rub you the wrong way about it. though i will say, I think you should worry less about that stuff; Nintendo's been pretty good with patching known issues with its games on the Wii U lately, like with the patches to mario kart and smash. I think theyre probably aware of the lobby complaint by now and will fix it. Also when you look at the list of stages available to play, there's actually room for a third stage, so I bet when there's more stages to play on they'll start offering 3 every four hours, and then maybe even 3 every 2 hours eventually maybe. (and so far, turf war and splat zones have each featured a different selection of stages from eachother at the same time, so I think this will become much less of an issue than it is now)

There's probably a thread or 2 or 100 about voice chat, but if my opinion's worth anything, i'm really glad there isn't any because one time I literally yelled "TAKE THAT YOU *******" at a player I killed and it really wouldn't sit well with me if that had been a young child who could hear me on the receiving end lol.

well, this was all pretty off-topic lol but i felt like this would make you feel a little less uneasy about the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom