So basically, the wait for Ranked Battle was meaningless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Nintendo being a gaming company that specializes in its Solo modes may not have expected so much positive feedback and thought the amount of players to reach level 10 would take longer. That or they were just giving the servers one last check before officially releasing Ranked.
Right, but many did expect this feedback, and I say Nintendo would've been better off to have listened to these people and not been shady about how they release the game's content. As well, Nintendo should listen to these people in the future now that they've been proven right.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
I mean, yes i do. I just don't understand how one wouldn't agree that "most" people at 10+ are more comfortable with the controls than lvl 1s... but alright.
At least i do get your point and partly agree with it. But at the end i still believe that it's "better" the way it is simply because, as i said, i believe most people at level 10+ are just better at the game than those who just played 5 turf war matches.

Personally i still wasn't comfortable with the controls even after taking part in 2 1/2 testfire sessions so i'm talking out of experience. Maybe that wasn't the case for you tho.
Yeah, for the most part I took to the controls like a fish in water. Jumping with X is still a dumb decision to me, but over the course of the Testfire I got used to it.

Alus

Senior Squid
NNID
starsauce
If you only gained that experience by being faster to lvl up. Yes.

No. Since now there are enough people who can play the mode, enough people who get up in ranks and then play against people in their rank rather than lower ones due to the lack of opponents in that certain rank. So people who buy the game later play against other people who just started playing splat zones or people with "around the same skill leve" of those who just started playing it" and not against A+ simply because there aren't enough A+ players in total so they're forced to play against lower ranks.... If that makes any sense
Gotcha,

Thanks for not freaking out.

I still strongly disagree on experience being unfair in any situation, which is the definition of expertise, and along comes the very definition of skill. (That's what I was told anyway.) But I guess Its just because I never FELT like it was unfair.

Yeah, for the most part I took to the controls like a fish in water. Jumping with X is still a dumb decision to me, but over the course of the Testfire I got used to it.
The WHOLE GAME felt dumb to me, then I got used to It and feel its all for the best, maybe I SHOULD feel the same way about ranked but it doesn't hurt to be picky.

Saltystick

Senior Squid
NNID
Wummer
Gotcha,

Thanks for not freaking out.

I still strongly disagree on experience being unfair in any situation, which is the definition of expertise, and along comes the very definition of skill. (That's what I was told anyway.) But I guess Its just because I never FELT like it was unfair.

The WHOLE GAME felt dumb to me, then I got used to It and feel its all for the best, maybe I SHOULD feel the same way about ranked but it doesn't hurt to be picky.
Well tbh the "fair start for everyone" was less of importance in my reasoning than "being better at the game at lvl 10+" but...since you asked.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Since OP made it apparent he has an agenda against the game and doesn't own it, I'm not sure why this thread is even open still.

Splat Zones were locked for several reasons:
-New IP
-New spin on the genre. Gives people time to understand what the game is.
-Server testing
-Allowing people to play and learn the game properly
-Allowing people to test different guns and strategies instead of rushing for a FOTM meta
-Prevention of dead lobbies if the game did not sell well. Ranked unlocked quickly so obviously this game sold well.
-Most importantly, because Nintendo chose to do so

They're testing a new method of content distribution to keep people enticed, and for the game to feel fresh whenever they boot it up. It's a new IP, why not test the waters here?

There is the promise of content that is free. This is not a shady company that the Reddit meme of "B-BUT THEY'LL PATCH IT" applies to. The content will be there. The content will be free. Whether later content has already been completed or not, we don't know, but that's irrelevant because we'll get it when we get it at no cost. If anything, less maps right now is better than more. Why? Because you get a LOT of time to play them, learn them, and master them. Over the next several months, we'll be given even more maps to do the same with. This is perfectly OK with me because even now I have 1 out of every 50 games where the other team can even hold me under 1000 points, and that's because my team dies the entire match. This game would be completely boring if majority of people didn't know their heads from their *** on a map, let alone the objective of the game yet. Giving people even more maps when they don't understand the objective of the game just leads to frustration and negative opinions of the game, which could hurt the IPs future.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
@Cuddlefish I agree with the OP. I see this on two ends...

1) Nintendo continuously underestimates their fan base. It's almost like they assume that just because this is THEIR first shooter that it is EVERY Nintendo fan's first shooter. Locking content until everyone "is on the same page" when ranked battle comes is extremely "hand-holdy" - something Nintendo STRUGGLES with to this day and is a large reason why a lot of the shenanigans around Splatoon are as divisive as they are now.

2) Nintendo created an unfinished game in hopes that we'd be ok with turf war alone until they were ready to give us the rest...yet the asking price was full price.

I get it. They want to extend the life of the game, but asking us to pay $60 up front for content coming down the line is ABSURD. The "free" DLC isn't free. If you think Nintendo is giving us that out of goodwill, you're............incredibly optimistic. That is content owed to us for buying in early.

Splatoon is a BLAST thus far, but I didn't buy Splatoon full price. I used coupons and trade-ins galore to get it down to $23.85. I was not about to pay full price for essentially an early access retail game. Nintendo is one of my favorite companies because they usually release all of the content on disk on release day, release games when they are truly ready, and give gamers game customization options for games they put online. Day 1 Splatoon drops the ball for me. It's fun, but I'm not accustomed to cut out content and bare bones releases from the big N.

Last edited:

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Why are we still whining about Day 1 Splatoon when it's not day 1 anymore? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On a serious note, as lots of people have already said, they wanted people to get a general grasp of the game that they couldn't get from the testfire before going into Splat Zones. Imagine the 'rollers are OP' rush, except happening now instead off during the testfire.
I could keep going but I feel like I'd just reiterate the past 3 pages, but one thing I wanna say is if you're gonna complain about Day 1 lack of content, why did you buy it on Day 1? To complain?

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
*sigh*

And things were finally going so nicely too...
Yeah things go so nicely until people disagree with you and you're forced to repeat what you've been saying for 3 pages because you don't have an actual counter to his argument.

Also I would just like to point out that if the wait for ranked battle was meaningless, then you wouldn't have any problem with it because it didn't mean anything. It would be more of a "meh" than a "this was a terrible decision" sort of mindset. I mean whether you agreed with Nintendo holding back ranked battles or not, it really doesn't mean anything at this point because they are available 2 days after the game comes out. So this outcome of the wait being meaningless is really the best possible one for those who disagreed with the way Ninty held back ranked battles. I don't really see why you are complaining about it.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Why are we still whining about Day 1 Splatoon when it's not day 1 anymore? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On a serious note, as lots of people have already said, they wanted people to get a general grasp of the game that they couldn't get from the testfire before going into Splat Zones.
I could keep going but I feel like I'd just reiterate the past 3 pages, but one thing I wanna say is if you're gonna complain about Day 1 lack of content, why did you buy it on Day 1? To complain?
I didn't though. I'm gonna buy it used, I'm just upset that the ship they pulled with holding things back from launch turned out to be pointless for everybody.

Nia

Inkster Jr.

On a serious note, as lots of people have already said, they wanted people to get a general grasp of the game that they couldn't get from the testfire before going into Splat Zones. Imagine the 'rollers are OP' rush, except happening now instead off during the testfire.
I bought Splatoon day one despite not paying full price because outside of Nintendo's piss poor handling of the game, the base game mechanics are fun and I wanted a game to play with friends. Considering that it's dry season on Wii U and all of my other devices, I was looking for a summer title.....and Splatoon is pretty much the only one lol.

As far as buying it to complain, yes, I did. I wanted to be sure I was correct in my inkling this game was just as bare bones as I was afraid it was. Low and behold, I was correct, and I will ***** Nintendo out so that they don't try these tactics again with Splatoon 2. Nintendo is the only "pure" company left. I will not let them become EA!

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I didn't though. I'm gonna buy it used, I'm just upset that the ship they pulled with holding things back from launch turned out to be pointless for everybody.
If you didn't buy it then there isn't much to complain about. By the time you have the game you'll have your $60's worth. Nintendo told everyone during that direct (actually before that direct) that people had to hit lv.10 to unlock splat zones, and they bought it knowing this. It not like they told us this on release day, they even had a cute meter to keep everyone updated on the whole deal.
I just don't get why someone who doesn't own the game yet would make a big deal over this, especially since splat zones comes out in under an hour anyways.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
Yeah things go so nicely until people disagree with you and you're forced to repeat what you've been saying for 3 pages because you don't have an actual counter to his argument.

Also I would just like to point out that if the wait for ranked battle was meaningless, then you wouldn't have any problem with it because it didn't mean anything. It would be more of a "meh" than a "this was a terrible decision" sort of mindset. I mean whether you agreed with Nintendo holding back ranked battles or not, it really doesn't mean anything at this point because they are available 2 days after the game comes out. So this outcome of the wait being meaningless is really the best possible one for those who disagreed with the way Ninty held back ranked battles. I don't really see why you are complaining about it.
Imagine paying $60 for Mario Kart 8 if it released with only 3 cups lol. Yeah...Nintendo is better than this and that's why the OP is mad. Locked content doesn't benefit anyone but Nintendo. They get to put out a product that isn't fully featured and still reap the benefits. This is not something many consumers are ok buying into. If Splatoon were say $30-$40 at launch or a budget title...ok. The way Nintendo is handling Splatoon is very un-Nintendo.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
Well who's fault is that? This is so silly!
Who's fault is it? Mine, for being cautiously optimistic that after 30 years of game making they'd continue selling me complete ones.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
I bought Splatoon day one despite not paying full price because outside of Nintendo's piss poor handling of the game, the base game mechanics are fun and I wanted a game to play with friends. Considering that it's dry season on Wii U and all of my other devices, I was looking for a summer title.....and Splatoon is pretty much the only one lol.

As far as buying it to complain, yes, I did. I wanted to be sure I was correct in my inkling this game was just as bare bones as I was afraid it was. Low and behold, I was correct, and I will ***** Nintendo out so that they don't try these tactics again with Splatoon 2. Nintendo is the only "pure" company left. I will not let them become EA!
I don't think Nintendo's "trying" anything. What I think is Nintendo needed a big summer title out, so they decided to launch Splatoon in it's current state so they won't go through summer without having any big releases. If I'm correct, it makes a lot of sense. Summer's a time when many people have the free time, so they wanted to capitalize on it.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Well who's fault is that? This is so silly!
The hell is wrong with you? She described precisely why she purchased Splatoon. This isn't silly, this is sick how you could be so flippant and disrespectful to people.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Before more people fall for this thread: read my post and notice how people complaining purposely ignored it.

Nia

Inkster Jr.
I don't think Nintendo's "trying" anything. What I think is Nintendo needed a big summer title out, so they decided to launch Splatoon in it's current state so they won't go through summer without having any big releases. If I'm correct, it makes a lot of sense. Summer's a time when many people have the free time, so they wanted to capitalize on it.
I get it. It makes sense, but if a game is unfinished people will remember it forever and it has left an impression on many people like myself as well as the OP. There's a give and take with all of this even aside from Nintendo. These publishers continue prioritizing release schedules and financial gain over the actual product itself. It's honestly something that is an issue across the board and a large reason many gamers are losing faith in this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom