• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest Discussion Thread: The Iron Lines and the Calcium Nines

Marmalade

Full Squid
NNID
Marmalade
Because it took forever. When I was Champion, I was literally scared of the level thing wanting you to max the next rank at 150-200 before truly reaching max. When I found out Champion was the last leveling I had to do...I did the Squid Inktory dance.
Oh ok, I was almost under the impression that when you reach max ranked to can't contribute anymore for some reason because everybody stopped playing.

I had mostly good groups for a long time so reaching max didn't take that long, I think about 3 1/2 hours. The last 50 points took forever however, as I got matched up with some really bad players and we mostly kept loosing :c
The most important thing for was getting my mac rank through a won game and I managed that!

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
D: that sucks!
I got super lucky and as I leveled it up it perfected itself.
Eh, I ain't mad. I have so little gear that I need perfected that every piece counts a lot. Just happy I got it!

Congrats on your god-like RNG, though lmao.

samuroleon

Inkling
NNID
samuroleon
Not happy with how you only get bonus points for >400p because that amount just requires basic knowledge of how to fire ink to get, while getting a really good total gets you nothing extra. Makes grinding the levels so much more annoying.

NNID
Kaina-Dani
I'm really surprised dogs won, as all the cats I played seemed to be all-around better players. I guess the popularity mattered more than I thought it would. Even though I was Dog Queen, I actually feel like you Cats deserved it more, at least given the pool of players I battled!

I heard you Cat Kings/Queens got more than 12 snails though? 16 or 18 or something?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, now I want to draw a Miiverse picture of Callie headdesking at her computer, complaining "I trusted you, internet..." while a dopey-looking Marie and a dog play in the background.

Otherwise, looks like Team Cat had a pretty good run this Splatfest. We didn't win the popularity vote, but we did win more matches so it evens out. Now then, time to prep for the next Splatfest!

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I don't understand... Team Cat gets the most wins even at a severe team count disadvantage and Team Dog wins because they have more people?

What the ****?

Cyrus Dark

Full Squid
NNID
Geprodis
I am still a bit confused, why do some many people stop playing when they reach their max level?
You can still help your team out by winning games, even after you reached max level, right?

Also congrats to team dogs! However, I did root for team cats, even though I am from the EU region.
The cats would have had to win a ridiculous amount of matches to actually win the title. Cats would have had to have a 61% victory percentage to actually win the title. Pretty steep road to climb.

Tyrfing

Senior Squid
The cats would have had to win a ridiculous amount of matches to actually win the title. Cats would have had to have a 61% victory percentage to actually win the title. Pretty steep road to climb.
Actually, 57% would've been enough.
You forgot to decrease the dogs win percentage.
57x2 = 114
114 + 38 = 152
43x2 = 86
86 + 62 = 148
57% is absolutely possible.

I don't like the popularity stuff, though.
If they really want to take popularity into the results they should've made it:
6 Snails for Popularity victory
6 Snails for Battle victory
(Basically making it "two contests". A democratic one and a ...well more "aggressive" one.)

Winning both -> 12 Snails

Edit: Noticed it was 62 for dogs.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The popularity part kind of doesn't sit well with me- I saw so many team dogs complain about fighting each other, but team cat had to deal with 3 vs. 4, 2 vs. 4, and 1 vs. 4. I only encountered a single dog team with 3 players to the 13-20 matches I played on team cat where we had the team disadvantage (and sometimes we still won.) It almost feels like getting punished twice. Still, it's only 6 SS difference and it is just for fun.

It makes it tempting to choose the team that will be most popular and level up multiple accounts for that team.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
Even if @Geprodis's margin for victory was overestimated, the one that Cats would've needed still seems highly unreasonable. Heck, it's greater than the difference in the Rice vs. Bread Splatfest, which had completely bonkers rules to begin with. We don't have enough results data yet to see how much the win percentages might vary, but at the moment I'm inclined to agree with @JonCharles' assessment here. Having popularity factor into who wins looks too much like bad design.

Mouldywarp

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mouldywarp
Um did you actually have to be playing at 6 when it ended to see results? Just turned it on now and everything is back to normal... Kind of makes the whole thing feel a bit pointless.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Even if @Geprodis's margin for victory was overestimated, the one that Cats would've needed still seems highly unreasonable. Heck, it's greater than the difference in the Rice vs. Bread Splatfest, which had completely bonkers rules to begin with. We don't have enough results data yet to see how much the win percentages might vary, but at the moment I'm inclined to agree with @JonCharles' assessment here. Having popularity factor into who wins looks too much like bad design.
I don't agree with giving the winning team 0 advantage/giving the losing team the same prize, because it is supposed to be a bit of a competition. I do agree it is odd- Maybe they won't count the uneven matches in the future? Because then the popularity score wouldn't feel like double dipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom