Rock - 64%
Pop: 36%

Battles:
Rock: 53%(x2)
Pop: 47%(x2)

Overall results:
Rock - Pop
170 - 130

Them Rock has secured a great victory! :)
I WAS ROCK AND AN ETERNAL ROCK BOY, 24 SUPER SEA SNAILS FTW

Kikaioh

Full Squid
Winning the most battles but then losing because of popularity feels kind of like a Presidential election, where the runner-up wins the general vote but loses the electoral college. It's like, you won where it ought to count, but then lost where it shouldn't.

....yeah ima salty squid. =P

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I would have lost in all 3 regions lol- Pop was destined to lose though based on the response.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Whooo, go Rock!

So I guess we should have a running list of past Splatfest results? It'd be interesting to see which sides won in particular.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Actually, 57% would've been enough.
You forgot to decrease the dogs win percentage.
57x2 = 114
114 + 38 = 152
43x2 = 86
86 + 62 = 148
57% is absolutely possible.

I don't like the popularity stuff, though.
If they really want to take popularity into the results they should've made it:
6 Snails for Popularity victory
6 Snails for Battle victory
(Basically making it "two contests". A democratic one and a ...well more "aggressive" one.)

Winning both -> 12 Snails

Edit: Noticed it was 62 for dogs.
...Then the loser of popularity and win rate would recieve 0 snails even though they played for 3 hours plus. That is horrible.

IMO, people are overstating the popularity thing, especially in this specific case. I also think from a Nintendo perspective if the rounds were a virtual tie (2% difference), then if somebody has to win, the smarter option is making the largest part of your player base happy. Again in this specific case, 18 snails out of 24 instead of 18 out of 36 snails and a small win differential doesn't bother me.

Don't get me wrong, the popularity part is not quite fair but I think people are overstating a bit. I have two ways of evening it out.

1) Don't pick themes like Cat VS Dog. To me I was surprised by how many people thought Cats was more popular in America. If Dogs had less than 55% popularity, I would have been shocked. In Japan, due to housing constraints I can see Cats winning, but US for the most part is Dog Country. Thus they should have future events like Snail VS Slug or String VS Thread, as they don't have that much popularity leanings. Not sure how fired up one could get about those themes though.

2) Have bonus snails for the loser if they have the better win differential. If the loser, loses in totality, then IF they have a better win rate they get 2-3 extra Snails. So the loser could get anywhere between 18-21 Snails. The problem is, if people are complaining about 6 snails, they are going to complain about a 3 snails loss. And if they are complaining about a 2% differential, they will complain about pretty much any % difference.

Removing the value of popularity is basically ranked mode and considering the varying levels of skill level of the player base, I highly doubt Nintendo will remove as it would ruin thier view of Splat Fest.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
...Then the loser of popularity and win rate would recieve 0 snails even though they played for 3 hours plus. That is horrible.

IMO, people are overstating the popularity thing, especially in this specific case. I also think from a Nintendo perspective if the rounds were a virtual tie (2% difference), then if somebody has to win, the smarter option is making the largest part of your player base happy. Again in this specific case, 18 snails out of 24 instead of 18 out of 36 snails and a small win differential doesn't bother me.

Don't get me wrong, the popularity part is not quite fair but I think people are overstating a bit. I have two ways of evening it out.

1) Don't pick themes like Cat VS Dog. To me I was surprised by how many people thought Cats was more popular in America. If Dogs had less than 55% popularity, I would have been shocked. In Japan, due to housing constraints I can see Cats winning, but US for the most part is Dog Country. Thus they should have future events like Snail VS Slug or String VS Thread, as they don't have that much popularity leanings. Not sure how fired up one could get about those themes though.

2) Have bonus snails for the loser if they have the better win differential. If the loser, loses in totality, then IF they have a better win rate they get 2-3 extra Snails. So the loser could get anywhere between 18-21 Snails. The problem is, if people are complaining about 6 snails, they are going to complain about a 3 snails loss. And if they are complaining about a 2% differential, they will complain about pretty much any % difference.

Removing the value of popularity is basically ranked mode and considering the varying levels of skill level of the player base, I highly doubt Nintendo will remove as it would ruin thier view of Splat Fest.
I would get pretty hyped for some snail vs slug action ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
I'm glad dogs won, good job on the win guys! But honestly? I don't like how they factor in popularity in on who wins

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They did say they would give bonus snails to the top two ranks of the losing team. I, for one, got 18 snails as a Cat King

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
The bonus for winning is only six snails, so you're not at a huge disadvantage if you were on the losing team.

NNID
Kaina-Dani

I laughed WAY too much at the String VS Thread idea...that would be so hilariously epic! Team string all the waaay!
Which of the sisters though would side with which?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Along with the stats and region/date.
Got it.

If anyone's interested in seeing the past Splatfest results, here they are in Google Docs format. Note that I have absolutely no idea about the specific stats on the JP Splatfests, so if anyone else does please don't hesitate to add those in! Also, if anyone wants to maintain this thing on their own spreadsheet feel free to do that as well.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I laughed WAY too much at the String VS Thread idea...that would be so hilariously epic! Team string all the waaay!
Which of the sisters though would side with which?
....I am completely indifferent to them. I don't even know who is who. I would have to give that serious thought.

On other notes....the Miiverse Posts today is why Splatoon doesn't have voice chat -_-

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
Well, I knew Rock was going to be the more popular choice, but I would have like to have been wrong....!!
Still, we lost in the battles side too so I can't complain :')

I hope next time we get choices that I'm more passionate about.

Oatsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaOtmel
Very True...but that is why it was not the only determinant and was not the number that was heavily weighted.
Still, the problem is you only needed like 55% popularity to win

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom