• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatfest World Premiere Discussion

Cake or Ice Cream? Rock or Pop?

• Cake/Rock

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Ice Cream/Pop

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Cake/Pop

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Ice Cream/Rock

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • Cake/Undecided

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Ice Cream/Undecided

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Undecided/Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided/Pop

• Totally/Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
That was rough but god I loved it.

Would really love to try a Team-Up for the next Splatfest in three hours though. Random assignment in a demo is... not so nice. One friend had to cancel while the other decided to join the other team, so getting two more is probably not gonna work out. Oh well, I'll still enjoy the next four hours ahead of me.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Brush user having to be forced to go in with splat dualies. Wish me luck, I'd be needing it in the ranks.

If that doesn't work, I will just go with a roller since that is another weapon I am familiar with. I got ripples singling down my bones, and I feel this Splatfest is going to go by too fast for me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Felt groggy waking up but feeling my blood pulsing now! Partly because mini-inner Ansible keeps roaring "HYPE!! GET HYPED!!" at me. And I'm also watching gameplay video of Dragon Ball Fighters Z from EVO too. Really would like that one to come to the Switch, with crossplay too.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
I missed ***'n splatfest sadly, (curse you sleeping), but I'll be able to catch eu and murica so I'm still happy. go ice cream

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Quick question has anyone tested amiibo's functionality yet?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I have. Turns out if you want to use an amiibo to store your stuff, you need to register it through the box at the back of the Square first. Too bad the box is unavailable for the demo.

Anyway, Europe Splatfest is go, guys!

Dangow

Inkling
I am from the U.K., and for some reason if I go to the lobby to try participating on the matches, it says that it is not available yet. Is anyone having the same issue? :(

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
I saw the results for rock versus pop and absolutely HATE the new score system. I can't believe they decided to still include popularity as part of the score. It's still nice to see which team is more popular, but... It really shouldn't count as part of the score. The score should be about wins. And the tally system seems... possibly not all that accurate. What if the less popular team could be saved if they just barely got a higher win perecentage in one category than the other? It might seem hard and nearly impossible, but it's still likely. Take a look at team rollercoaster from back in 2015. But now teams can't make comebacks because it only counts as a singular tally now. I really hope they change it in a future update.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I saw the results for rock versus pop and absolutely HATE the new score system. I can't believe they decided to still include popularity as part of the score. It's still nice to see which team is more popular, but... It really shouldn't count as part of the score. The score should be about wins. And the tally system seems... possibly not all that accurate. What if the less popular team could be saved if they just barely got a higher win perecentage in one category than the other? It might seem hard and nearly impossible, but it's still likely. Take a look at team rollercoaster from back in 2015. But now teams can't make comebacks because it only counts as a singular tally now. I really hope they change it in a future update.
You are the complete opposite of most people, who have spent the last year or so grumbling about how popularity didn't make a difference. This makes it matter once more while still making battles the deciding factor. Can't please everybody!

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I am from the U.K., and for some reason if I go to the lobby to try participating on the matches, it says that it is not available yet. Is anyone having the same issue? :(
Did you download the UK/European region version?

*waves to @Maave in all roller team*

Last edited:

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Doing garbage because my brother lost the damn joycon grip. My wrist hurts ;w;

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Were we in a match together? I totally missed it! Got your friend req though
Something like the last or next to last match (for me) before the new rotation.

I didn't do too hot as it was like my third or fourth match using the roller. Second time using it was during squads and my team wase about to break into 1700 barrier before we ran into Hitzel's team. Started out well? and slowly loss ground to them. Put a damper on our sudden 2rollerx2spalttershot tag team.

Overall I think my crew did well for a non-competitive, non-voice comm, last minute pickup squad. xD

Also, splats are still counted if you hit someone but they fall off the stage. As an assist! lol

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
Brush user having to be forced to go in with splat dualies. Wish me luck, I'd be needing it in the ranks.

If that doesn't work, I will just go with a roller since that is another weapon I am familiar with. I got ripples singling down my bones, and I feel this Splatfest is going to go by too fast for me.
Picking a good weapon to use is going to be a bit difficult for me too. I normally use the Jr., Sloshing Machine, and L-3 D, so I'm not really super familiar with any of the weapons that are going to be available in the splatfest. I guess I'll mostly use the tentatek since that's a shooter weapon like the Jr., but it's going to feel pretty weird, haha.

As for what team I'm picking, I'm Team Ice Cream all of the way. There are very few times when I'm not in the mood for ice cream. I feel like cake, while good in its own right, is mainly more for special occasions and tends to be of more varied quality. Also, ice cream wins out for me by virtue of being a dairy product.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Team Ice Cream is getting the popularity points. I played against Team Cake only 4 or 5 times during the second rotation.

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
Boy, that was pretty fun. I really am not nearly as good with splattershot as with brush, especially without any speed abilities, but I managed to reach about 2050 Splatfest Power before giving up. I was getting bored, my matches were only against fellow team Ice Cream members, and I gained like 5 power per match at the most. I just thought that point thing was kinda weird, some of my friends managed to get up to 2700 after mostly playing in the team division.

Edit: Anyone else feel like Sting Ray is still extremely weak after the changes? Inkjet was very situational compared to Tenta Missiles as well but at least it wrecks house when used correctly, while the Sting Ray just feels like a 'sitting duck' button.

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Edit: Anyone else feel like Sting Ray is still extremely weak after the changes? Inkjet was very situational compared to Tenta Missiles as well but at least it wrecks house when used correctly, while the Sting Ray just feels like a 'sitting duck' button.
Ugh. I think it was a match against Hitzel and team where I got pincered in an Inkjet double team as they swept my team from both sides.

Meanwhile, I think the Sting Ray was always deemed weakest of the new specials. Though I thought it was buffed compared to earlier builds. X-ray vision and the ability to just stop shooting. Can be useful in cleaning out hiding spots, even temporarily, or pressuring someone into situations they don't want to be in.

Inkjet comes off as really good when you're pushing forward with a teammate. Your teammate can tag anyone too caught up in looking skyward—and vice versa—as well as keep a your return point safe. Splattershot + Splat Bombs + InkJet may become the new Tentatek + Suction Bomb + Inkzooka of the series.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
So I played in the EU fest (thank you for being region free, Switch) and it was a ton of fun!

I'm right at home with the tentatek immediately which is very nice. The jetpack is hit or miss for me, literally, sometimes I would use it well, getting some good splats, other times I could not hit anything to save my life.

I put a lot of time into the rollers, and initially, the vertical flick screwed me over a lot, I had situations where if it was always horizontal like the first game, I would have gotten a kill. Though with practice I have a better grasp on how to use it.

The Dualies I did well enough with, though I really need to learn to use the roll. I kept forgetting it was a thing, which never really messed me up, but it's important to use all the tools you can if a weapons gives you them. Tentamissiles are definitely my favorite special in this game so far. Simple and easy to use, and they have great tactical uses.

I still suck at chargers, no surprise. Even battling a ton of people who are not well versed in this game, I still had trouble hitting them. If that does not tell me I'm not cut out to be a charger then I don't know what will. To echo Tanzinyagrill's feelings on the stingray right above me, I think it's absolutely terrible. It's slow to move, slow to kill, it makes you vulnerable for so long. On Moray I had someone rushing me on one of the lanes, I was near the top. I had the stingray, and they still managed to get me easily.

An all around fun time, I hope all the new players have having fun with it, and hope few of them are turned off by all the veterans being so much more skilled. I definitely had to really pull myself back a lot to accommodate new players a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom