• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Well, after selling a few games today I'm still short of having enough for Splatoon 2. R.I.P.. I'll get there soon though.

Also, funnily enough, my friend is in a similar situation in which they have Splatoon 2, but no Switch. While I have a Switch, but no Splatoon 2.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Yeah I understand this is more advice on how I feel it will be used in the future (when the bug us patched) and some basic tips on how to use it now if you are feeling bold
They better not patch that "bug"! There are still many chargeroll shenanigans for me to have! Especially when they finally release the bamboozler and squiffer.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yeah I understand this is more advice on how I feel it will be used in the future (when the bug us patched) and some basic tips on how to use it now if you are feeling bold
I hope they do (because they made it so thrrr is no reason for an entirely new weapon to exist), and then things will get more interesting. Either that, or they could give the GT some other added functionality. I'm just always dubious of Nintendo patching these kinds of bugs.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Patching that out won't instantly make gootuber good, it still has to cope with the fact that it has longer charge time and less range, which in my opinion makes the weapon basically useless. I'm not even sure if the charge hold thing is a "bug" because its existed for far too long. Goo-tuber needs some sort of rework imo, its gimmick is kinda useless, and even if it was good the tradeoff wouldn't be worth it.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't understand why they had to give the young Gooby Tooby a longer charge time and shorter range,
either makes sense, 1 weakness for 1 strength, but both?

That's 2 downsides to the one good side,
which isn't all that good, considering it's meant for sneak attacks and it TURNS YOU INTO A BEAMING FLOURESCENT LIGHT for Pete's sake! So it's more like 2 nerfs in exchange for a half a buff.
(not to mention, the longer charger time really hurts on a charger that wants to get in close, don't believe me? try and be a flanker with an eliter. It can be done, you can succed doing this, but it's masochistic and will leave you realizing you should be playing something with a faster fire rate / charge time)

I want to love the goo-tuber, the aggressive kit is right up my alley, it looks cool, and "snek charger lel" sounds bad bass awesome!
But the above trade-off dilemma and the overall weak feel of chargers in Splatoon 2(compared to splat1) just leaves the goo-tuber lacking =/

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Have you seen Dude's video about how to hold a charge indefinitely with any charger? Unless Nintendo edits that bug out, the very type of high level players who would take advantage of the goo tube would probably take advantage of the indefinite charge trick. Right now, that's the rub.
It's not really a bug though, it's more of an exploit. All Nintendo really have to do fix it is make it so you lose your charge if you go into squid form without firing a shot you stored.

Of course this wouldn't make the Goo Tuber good by any means, but it would at least make it so that it's only niche isn't completely ouclassed by a loophole in the system.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It's not really a bug though, it's more of an exploit. All Nintendo really have to do fix it is make it so you lose your charge if you go into squid form without firing a shot you stored.

Of course this wouldn't make the Goo Tuber good by any means, but it would at least make it so that it's only niche isn't completely ouclassed by a loophole in the system.
I agree. My thinking is:

1. I don't trust Nintendo to fix it -- whether it's a bug, exploit or otherwise. I saw what they did with firehopping in Mario Kart 8 WiiU (nothing), and that always worries me about exploits. It's weird the things Nintendo sometimes doesn't care about.
2. To your greater point about how fixing the exploit doesn't fix the Goo Tuber, you are absolutely correct. They need to buff some things about it (swim speed, charge time... something else?) AND fix the exploit. Those go hand-in-hand, so I agree with you on that point completely.

I'm incredibly biased (because these are my mains), but I think the role of a sniper has mostly been replaced by rapid blasters and jet squelchers -- as these are area control weapons with added mobility. I've found, from playing with and against snipers, that it takes a truly special sniper to greatly impact the game... It would be nice if they buffed the goo tuber to the point where the high level stuff Saber mentioned could give the sniper class a new, deadly look.

Because I agree that the play style Saber mentioned is/will be goo tuber's bread and butter. I'm just not sure it'll happen into they buff it and also fix that exploit.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
I agree. My thinking is:

1. I don't trust Nintendo to fix it -- whether it's a bug, exploit or otherwise. I saw what they did with firehopping in Mario Kart 8 WiiU (nothing), and that always worries me about exploits. It's weird the things Nintendo sometimes doesn't care about.
2. To your greater point about how fixing the exploit doesn't fix the Goo Tuber, you are absolutely correct. They need to buff some things about it (swim speed, charge time... something else?) AND fix the exploit. Those go hand-in-hand, so I agree with you on that point completely.

Because I agree that the play style Saber mentioned is/will be goo tuber's bread and butter. I'm just not sure it'll happen into they buff it and also fix that exploit.
Whether or not this indefinite charge trick would ever get fixed is up in the air, but Goo Tuber does also benefit from it as well (though not nearly as much as other chargers).

I do think Goo Tuber will get a buff, but by how much and if it will be enough is something can't really be determined this early into the game's life span imo.

I'm incredibly biased (because these are my mains), but I think the role of a sniper has mostly been replaced by rapid blasters and jet squelchers -- as these are area control weapons with added mobility. I've found, from playing with and against snipers, that it takes a truly special sniper to greatly impact the game...
As for this part, I can't really say anything definitive as I have little to no experience with either Rapid Blaster or Jet Squelcher, but I what I will say is that I think that some people underestimate the mental effects of the charger's laser sight.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
As for this part, I can't really say anything definitive as I have little to no experience with either Rapid Blaster or Jet Squelcher, but I what I will say is that I think that some people underestimate the mental effects of the charger's laser sight.
This is a good point. I'm not one of those people, so I failed to take into account the mental trauma it might cause... Although, the flip side is the truly great snipers know how to do the flick shot trick that kills you out of nowhere.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I saw what they did with firehopping in Mario Kart 8 WiiU (nothing)
They did fix it in the deluxe port. They probably never bothered at the time because the Wii U was showing downfall. In any case, the Mario Kart team and the team behind Splatoon are separate divisions, and the Splatoon team are showing that they're listening if you ask me. To be honest though, I'm not sure how they would go about fixing this exploit without changing how the stored charge feels to play with entirely.

the

Inkling Commander
What do yall think is better for a heavy/hydra splatling: Tenacity or Special Charge Up?

(This is assuming some splatlings down the line have a better-spammed special than stingray)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
(This is assuming some splatlings down the line have a better-spammed special than stingray)
What nonsense you on about? Sting Ray is sleeper god tier weapon more overpowered than a Japanese S+ competitive tri-slosher main--don't give me that look, it's difficult to say/type that with a straight face!!

But really, given how some of my teams are, I should probably carry around tenacity. (ranked 1v4 in within 30 seconds, let's see your team beat that!) So far I have those blue shades and bell cap with it, but debating whether or not I want contact lenses or those rockenberg shades with tenacity as well.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
What nonsense you on about? Sting Ray is sleeper god tier weapon more overpowered than a Japanese S+ competitive tri-slosher main--don't give me that look, it's difficult to say/type that with a straight face!!

But really, given how some of my teams are, I should probably carry around tenacity. (ranked 1v4 in within 30 seconds, let's see your team beat that!) So far I have those blue shades and bell cap with it, but debating whether or not I want contact lenses or those rockenberg shades with tenacity as well.
You had me going for a second. I was like, "Wow, this guy is going to explain to me why I'm dumb for not liking the sting r-- oh..."

Award

Recommendation use 5GHz Wifi whenever it's possible, i think 80% of all wifi problems are with using 2.4Ghz. in Apartments and town houses you run in to the issue of having A super Saturated 2.4GHz space... 5Ghz drastically improved My WiFi Experience with my Switch. I went form a single Bar on 2.4 to almost full on 5Ghz.

But Wired is always the best option.
Most of my issues with Splatoon2... Are latency on hosts end.
Until you posted this I just assumed Switch doesn't support 5GHz. I have....a lot of WiFi access points running. 4 of which are 5GHz AP's. Not a SINGLE one of these appears in Switch's list! It only displays 2.4Ghz networks. After you said that, I googled it and it seems for some people it works, for some it doesn't. Manufacturing issues? Not a single 5GHz AP displays in the list for me even right next to it.

That said, 5GHz is tricky. It doesn't go through walls worth anything, so my 5GHz signals drop to 1-bar even on devices with good antennas a few rooms away. Switch's antenna....little hope of 5GHz working when 2.4GHz doesn't work at most distances :p 5GHz is wonderful for near-range devices in the same room more or less, but if you need it to penetrate anything, 2.4 is still the only real way to work it (or higher broadcasting power....*cough* openwrt

(Thought I posted that yesterday and it still appeared in my box today....oh well!)

Is that really an exploit?? I mean I thought that's how stored charges are SUPPOSED to work. You can dip in the ink for a second or two but you lose your charge if you stay down too long. I never thought it WAS supposed to work that you HAD to fire that shot then and couldn't store the shot again the next time you dove into the ink. Not only would getting rid of that not help the Goo Tuber, but it would pretty much negate most of the actual point of stored charges on regular chargers unless they doubled or tripled the stored charge time (which still wouldn't come close to Goo Tuber time). Might as well keep scopes if they do that.

I've been using it sometimes on Eliter. All it does is help mobility a bit while keeping you on a VERY short leash. It doesn't allow attempted stealthing like Tuber does. Granted, I'm still more of a scoped squid so I don't use it much, but for now I don't have my scoped eliter, so I'm playing with it.

This is a good point. I'm not one of those people, so I failed to take into account the mental trauma it might cause... Although, the flip side is the truly great snipers know how to do the flick shot trick that kills you out of nowhere.
The lasers aren't anywhere close to as intimidating on S2 as the big red line of death was in S1. I hardly notice lasers at all in S2. And don't MOST upper level chargers do the flick shot? I felt like in S1 with my scope I was the only charger NOT flicking. I did the flicks with the unscoped until the nerfs moved me back to scopes.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Okay (pulls out soap box) ahem...

Nah can't defend it the stingray is awful

Actually in all honestly there are a few advantages to the stingray
-It gives vision on teamspeak this give you the opportunity to call out enemies and tell your team where they are (like a slightly more effective recon)
-Pulling from salmon run stingers are terrifying for 1 reason they can cover wall that provide valuable escape from other bosses/ special. Therefore this is a weapon that is best when working with a (better) special
For example when the stingray paints the 1 wall your team were using to escape the steelhead (I cry)
- Also like it's predecessor the killer wail you get splat at times yeah but this special mainly provides denial of an area more than guarantee a splat

Again it is awful, but patching special especially is a very tricky balancing process and will likely take a while to be patched so it is best to learn to live with it until it is, hopefully improved
(I also did go over this in a separate thread in the competitive section feel free to check it out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom