Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Okay (pulls out soap box) ahem...

Nah can't defend it the stingray is awful

Actually in all honestly there are a few advantages to the stingray
-It gives vision on teamspeak this give you the opportunity to call out enemies and tell your team where they are (like a slightly more effective recon)
-Pulling from salmon run stingers are terrifying for 1 reason they can cover wall that provide valuable escape from other bosses/ special. Therefore this is a weapon that is best when working with a (better) special
For example when the stingray paints the 1 wall your team were using to escape the steelhead (I cry)
- Also like it's predecessor the killer wail you get splat at times yeah but this special mainly provides denial of an area more than guarantee a splat

Again it is awful, but patching special especially is a very tricky balancing process and will likely take a while to be patched so it is best to learn to live with it until it is, hopefully improved
(I also did go over this in a separate thread in the competitive section feel free to check it out)

Glad you mentioned the killer wail. Would it really have been overpowered in Splatoon 2 compared to the other specials? I feel like they could have just... done it again...instead...of....the sting ray.

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah I agree that stingray is not completely useless. It is definitely an interesting weapon, just much more situational than just about every other special weap. That's why I tried to clarify that special charge up probably wouldn't be super useful for a heavy splatling, because stingray isn't a special weapon that you can just fill up, use wherever you're standing, and repeat. (Unless you wanna get splatted every time you activate your special, that is)

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Glad you mentioned the killer wail. Would it really have been overpowered in Splatoon 2 compared to the other specials? I feel like they could have just... done it again...instead...of....the sting ray.
I believe that the tenta missiles are the real replacement for the killer wail, and that they're actually better at doing the job.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I believe that the tenta missiles are the real replacement for the killer wail, and that they're actually better at doing the job.
I viewed tenta missiles as a replacement for the ink strike.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
@Spaceswitchmars Looking at the wail and the inkstrike, they both served similar functions, though they had their differences. The inkstrike laid ink on the ground, but in exchange denied less area. A wail could be fired across the map and take up a lot more area, but didn't require cleanup. Both of these were very threatening specials. I consider tenta missiles more as a replacement for both the wail and the ink strike because it threatens in a way that the sting ray doesn't. I also consider it an upgrade to the ink strike / wail because it can threaten players in separate areas of the map more easily than the wail can.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Baller = Kraken

Tentamissles = Inkstrike

Ink armor = bubble

Stingray = echolocator (w/ wail properties)

Inkpack= Inkzooka

Splashdown= dynamo stealth jump (prepatch)

Bubbler= if killer wail decided to be a Luna

Bomb rush= identity crisis of original

....there you go

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I viewed Splashdown as the replacement for Inkstrike...
Baller = Kraken

Tentamissles = Inkstrike

Ink armor = bubble

Stingray = echolocator (w/ wail properties)

Inkpack= Inkzooka

Splashdown= dynamo stealth jump (prepatch)

Bubbler= if killer wail decided to be a Luna

Bomb rush= identity crisis of original

....there you go
Sounds good to me.

Also, I miss the echolocator.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
This is how I see it:

Baller = Kraken

Ink Armor = Bubbler (these first 2 can also be switched around)

Splashdown = Inkstrike

Inkjet = Inkzooka

Bomb Launcher = Bomb Rush

Tenta Missiles = Echolocator (with kill power)

Sting Ray = Killer Wail

Inkstorm = uh...Inkstorm

Bubble Blower = Bubble Blower

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I feel betrayed by NoA...
Where have you been the past 30 years? :p

Okay (pulls out soap box) ahem...

Nah can't defend it the stingray is awful

Actually in all honestly there are a few advantages to the stingray
-It gives vision on teamspeak this give you the opportunity to call out enemies and tell your team where they are (like a slightly more effective recon)
-Pulling from salmon run stingers are terrifying for 1 reason they can cover wall that provide valuable escape from other bosses/ special. Therefore this is a weapon that is best when working with a (better) special
For example when the stingray paints the 1 wall your team were using to escape the steelhead (I cry)
- Also like it's predecessor the killer wail you get splat at times yeah but this special mainly provides denial of an area more than guarantee a splat

Again it is awful, but patching special especially is a very tricky balancing process and will likely take a while to be patched so it is best to learn to live with it until it is, hopefully improved
(I also did go over this in a separate thread in the competitive section feel free to check it out)
That's the funny thing with Stingray. In Salmon run it's possibly the single most dangerous weapon in the whole game. Everywhere else it's an annoying jumprope. And of course 70% of my weapons have Stingray...... It's always a painful liability when you're on the tower and accidentally activate your special. It can't help you even by accident, it just makes you fodder.

This is how I see it:

Baller = Kraken

Ink Armor = Bubbler (these first 2 can also be switched around)

Splashdown = Inkstrike

Inkjet = Inkzooka

Bomb Launcher = Bomb Rush

Tenta Missiles = Echolocator (with kill power)

Sting Ray = Killer Wail

Inkstorm = uh...Inkstorm

Bubble Blower = Bubble Blower
I think Tentamissiles are more like instrike than splashdown. It rains down death anywhere on the map, telegraphed two hours before it lands yet you get caught in it more times than you're willing to publicly admit. Every round.

Splashdown, may have the swirl pattern of inkstrike, but it's smaller, it's only where you are, it puts you in harms way. and, frankly is arguably more useless than stingray on most maps.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
Just activate it on tower and have the guy with splash down jump to you.... they always seem to fall for it
Take the bait......:cool::cool::cool:

Also have to admit I Feel like sonic right now
Avaitors- :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed:
Grizzco shirt-term :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:special up or
(? Shirt) Respawn punisher:ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_shi006:-:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

P.S this is with a sub defense up drink

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Is that really an exploit?? I mean I thought that's how stored charges are SUPPOSED to work.
In a sense no, it isn't an exploit - I mostly used the term for lack of a better word.
You can dip in the ink for a second or two but you lose your charge if you stay down too long. I never thought it WAS supposed to work that you HAD to fire that shot then and couldn't store the shot again the next time you dove into the ink. Not only would getting rid of that not help the Goo Tuber, but it would pretty much negate most of the actual point of stored charges on regular chargers unless they doubled or tripled the stored charge time (which still wouldn't come close to Goo Tuber time). Might as well keep scopes if they do that.
Admittedly, I hadn't considered the comparsion between scoped and non-scoped chargers but you do make a good point about the actual point of stored charges.

But honestly, the whole stored charge dilemma is the least of the Goo Tuber's problems.

Oh wow, Nintendo release a highly anticipated game for a newish console and don't create a bundle for it until nearly a month after it's release date.

What an impressive move on their part.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Where have you been the past 30 years? :p

That's the funny thing with Stingray. In Salmon run it's possibly the single most dangerous weapon in the whole game. Everywhere else it's an annoying jumprope. And of course 70% of my weapons have Stingray...... It's always a painful liability when you're on the tower and accidentally activate your special. It can't help you even by accident, it just makes you fodder.

I think Tentamissiles are more like instrike than splashdown. It rains down death anywhere on the map, telegraphed two hours before it lands yet you get caught in it more times than you're willing to publicly admit. Every round.

Splashdown, may have the swirl pattern of inkstrike, but it's smaller, it's only where you are, it puts you in harms way. and, frankly is arguably more useless than stingray on most maps.
Well, for nearly half that time, I haven't existed. And for about a third of my life I didn't care about video games so...

Ya but very similarly to Inkstrike, you direct on the map (at times) where the Splashdown will go. That and the swirl effect of the impact makes it a fair comparison, at least to me. But we all have our opinions, and some special weapon comparisons are more obvious than others.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Oh wow, Nintendo release a highly anticipated game for a newish console and don't create a bundle for it until nearly a month after it's release date.

What an impressive move on their part.
More like it's being released outside of Japan a month after launch. it was available day of release in Japan... because they're the favourite child home market. ¬¬;

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
More like it's being released outside of Japan a month after launch. it was available day of release in Japan... because they're the favourite child home market. ¬¬;
Yeah, it kinda sucks that it was released so late

But hey my birthday's coming up so maybe I'll get that version

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I was hyped for Cold Blooded on different gear until I realized that Echolocator was gone. It's not worth it anymore when few people use point sensing.
I just started gearing up with thermal ink, and it's really awesome, but it's only useful on a ranged weapon when it could have been great for all weapons when used correctly.

Ink mines also have an echolocator. It's great, but few people use kits with ink mines. It also depends on the enemy happening near your ink mine (which is the point), so it's not like you can actively hunt out people to echolocate.

Cold-blooded could be so much more useful. Imagine if you only show up for a few seconds on the tenta missiles screen. Or only a few seconds with the sting ray. What if it makes you invisible to your teammates so they can't make dumb super jumps to you (that last one is a joke, of course).

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Some news from Splatoon JP:
"Tomorrow, August 19th at 11 am, a new Buki "Squiklin α" will be added. Although it has a short range, it charges quickly and it has high mobility. The power to beat the opponent with a single blow will be alive with full charge. Sub is "point sensor", special is "ink armor"."

So..that's tonight for us in the US, I think?

These weapon updates feel so slow when you know whats been leaked already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom