Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Hey! I'm kinda new to this site. So what do you guys talk about on this thread?
Welcome! You can read the description in the first post if you want, but we basically talk about anything concerning Splatoon 2 here, except for Single Player Story Spoilers. A link to a thread where you can talk about that is in the description of the first post. Hope you enjoy yourself here, squiddo!

Luminario

Full Squid
Is there any particular reason that the song Octoling Rendevous is missing from Squid Beatz? I can't help but feel that means something... or is it just exclusive to one of the Amiibo already out?

the

Inkling Commander
Is there any particular reason that the song Octoling Rendevous is missing from Squid Beatz? I can't help but feel that means something... or is it just exclusive to one of the Amiibo already out?
Marina Amiibo confirmed?!

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Goo tuber is an amazing tactician weapon and are a blast to play, I mentioned this pre-patch (probably 3+ back I mentioned this) that the way they play is very unique and make them very enjoyable. I honestly don't know which abilities work on it so could you give some tips?

TC has always been a bit difficult, cause what usually happens is I go in to pressure the team (with duelies), while my allies are letting one person push tower, then I push tower and they all go in an died leaving me in a 1 v 4 or better yet they all get on the tower and then die...... TC was my favorite mode in splatoon 2 cause as long as you played smart you stood a chance, but checkpoints, tentas and bad teammates from time to time has made a very salty experience.

Of all the weapons duelies and nzaps in my personal expertice are great for turf, squiffers do a good job as long as you stay back and support, and on uneven stages like the race track and mussleforge buckets are a great option (except tri, cause then I judge)

Lastly Salmon run is great for spamming ability chunks, you can get gear, ability drinks small amounts of ability chunks, and tons of gold which is great for scrubbing....plus it is a blast to play
Speaking of tactician weapons it occurred to me that the Sploosh is all about tactics too. @LonelyDolphin was asking why I use Sploosh vs just splash etc. But I think your discussion of Tuber gave me better understanding of that answer. When I look at all the weapons I like. Eliter, Tuber, Sploosh, Octobrush, hydra, even bambi and blaster, though less so. they have that tactical theme in common. None of them allow you to just run and play head on. All of them require that you pull back, observe the situation, and apply the right pressure at the right point. Usually it means not leading the stats at the end of the match (though there's times it does.) Sploosh is weird because you have to be hyper-spastic with it, but also have to be able to pull back and observe or think of how to be irritating behind enemy lines, effectively avoiding combat entirely letting my trio of little brawlers do their thing alone, and running interference ("why are our walls always painted over every time we respawn?" Why indeed....) And all of them except hydra needs vast amounts of ink to move around in.

Blaster is the most straight forward out of them, but even in the vanilla blaster kit, I find I often pull back to safe space, watch the map, and wait for a location to sj-splashdown too. I use splashdown very differently on tuber than blaster. On tuber it's all about luring them into the trap and smacking them down up close. For blaster I use the splashdown as a human inkstrike requiring pulling myself out of the combat area to stalk the map and watch my team. So I've managed to make even that a tactical weapon :)

Please tell us how many capsules you get, you may be the person to reveal the capsule cap :D
It looks like 20. That seems like an oddly round number so I'm going to guess that's the cap. From them, I also managed to make over 250,000 gold...which is awesome....because I was broke. (Darn you Splatnet E-Commerce!) Only got 10 chunks or so though which seems low. And about 3 polos and 7 hard hats to sell for cash or chunks.

Now the other embarrassing question: What do you actually do with chunks? I see them spread out all over the stats screen, but haven't any idea what they really mean. I recall something about Murch but I haven't delved too much into his store other than picking up Splatnet.com packages...)

Hey! I'm kinda new to this site. So what do you guys talk about on this thread?
Murder. Tasty, tasty murder. Squid, octopi, salmon. We kill. And kill and kill and kill. And talk about it here. :P

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
You go over to spyke's rng replacement and go to use ability chunks, it varies from ability to ability but it is a good way to fix up neigh perfect and shiny gear

Also interesting tactic with blaster splashdown...I myself prefer to shark near the enemy and then splashdown when their backs are turned :D

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Now the other embarrassing question: What do you actually do with chunks? I see them spread out all over the stats screen, but haven't any idea what they really mean. I recall something about Murch but I haven't delved too much into his store other than picking up Splatnet.com packages...)
Chunks are used to customize gear to your liking. It's a grind collecting them, but it's a massive improvement over the old re-roll system. You gain them by paying Murch 20,000 to "scrub" your gear, which removes the 3 subs and gives them to you as chunks. The Splatfest tee is great for chunk grinding, it only costs 2,000 to scrub. It costs 10 chunks of a given ability type to add a sub of that type to a slot of your choosing. You know how 3 of the same sub, "shinies" or "pures" or whatever terminology people like to use, was the ideal in the first game and a goal for many players? You can manually do that yourself with chunks! It takes 60 chunks to do so, since it costs 20 to add the second sub of the same type and 30 to add the third, but even with the grind you can make any gear you want!

Here's an example! I crafted this outfit, I didn't go for a pure because this method uses 30 chunks instead of 60, and it looks nice while helping a lot!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So you're rockin tenacity instead of comeback?

Think sometime I'll try that respawn punisher too... with the brella. It'll either turn out to be one part lulz, one part "git gud anvisible!!" training recipe or a salt heavy diet for me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Think sometime I'll try that respawn punisher too... with the brella. It'll either turn out to be one part lulz, one part "git gud anvisible!!" training recipe or a salt heavy diet for me.
Yeah, I'm going for a "last man standing" approach where I always try to be alive no matter what, and Tenacity provides tons of special for people who outlive their allies like I do :p Respawn Punisher is delightful on long-range weapons, I don't get a lot of splats but I really make them count.

Also the MTB helmet is awesome and what I'm basing all my outfits around :D

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yeah, I'm going for a "last man standing" approach where I always try to be alive no matter what, and Tenacity provides tons of special for people who outlive their allies like I do :p Respawn Punisher is delightful on long-range weapons, I don't get a lot of splats but I really make them count.

This is exactly the set up I plan to use when the

rapid blaster pro deco

drops.

It may be twenty years from now at the rate we're going, but it's going to be oh-so-sweet.

Award

@Award
You go over to spyke's rng replacement and go to use ability chunks, it varies from ability to ability but it is a good way to fix up neigh perfect and shiny gear

Also interesting tactic with blaster splashdown...I myself prefer to shark near the enemy and then splashdown when their backs are turned :D
I do the sharking splashdown with sploosh though it's kind of redundant. :P For some odd reason nearly all of the weapons I choose come with splashdown. At least eliter has storm, so I guess yay. SM has stingray, so not yay. But I have to get creative to make each wep different. Trouble with sploosh splashdown is, a close range special for a close range weapon kind of sucks. I end up using it as a get out of jail card when cornered but often with the tickrate I end up getting splatted before I actually splash down even though it starts the animation and I should be invincible. I'm hoping Neo Sploosh does something better than beacons which are still of dubious value in S2. I love sploosh, but the "swim in your seeker trail" thing with curling bombs has outlived its meta, and splashdown is the wrong special for a weapon that has less range than an inkbrush :P Give me a sploosh with a sprinkler and I'll be the most annoying thing on the map :P

The drop-splash thing is good/bad. It's fun as heck, but so rarely do you get the right moment to actually drop in (but when you drop in on a teammate that stupidly ran into enemy ink and splat two squids it's all worth it), Many times I end up wasting it if my teammate won his duel, or it can create a problem if I'm out of the battle watching too long, or worse, sometimes the map does NOT show the ink of an approaching enemy and I can tell by sound alone that they're flanking me. But it's still a darned fun tactical way to play blaster :) And makes it different from the other two splashdowns!

Chunks are used to customize gear to your liking. It's a grind collecting them, but it's a massive improvement over the old re-roll system. You gain them by paying Murch 20,000 to "scrub" your gear, which removes the 3 subs and gives them to you as chunks. The Splatfest tee is great for chunk grinding, it only costs 2,000 to scrub. It costs 10 chunks of a given ability type to add a sub of that type to a slot of your choosing. You know how 3 of the same sub, "shinies" or "pures" or whatever terminology people like to use, was the ideal in the first game and a goal for many players? You can manually do that yourself with chunks! It takes 60 chunks to do so, since it costs 20 to add the second sub of the same type and 30 to add the third, but even with the grind you can make any gear you want!

Here's an example! I crafted this outfit, I didn't go for a pure because this method uses 30 chunks instead of 60, and it looks nice while helping a lot!
Ooohh, that's so cool! The game does such a terrible job explaining this stuff. And it's not tied to only salmon run! I'm going to have to play with this system. My Goo Tube needs some more swim speed... :D Grinding sounds like a mega-pain, but wow, that's so cool. Poor Mario + Rabbids may be sitting in shrinkwrap longer than I imagined.....

I like your idea of spreading triplets across the gear set. That's kind of how I did my random rolls in S1. I never really got into rerolls last time and just used snails to add slots to everything and see what came out with the best combo :)

Do you guys really see much effect from respawn punisher? I've been using it with blaster, squiffer, and eliter (can't really think of other gear I'd want more) I was using it with tuber but figured more swim speed mattered more. But whenever I use it I just don't feel it's doing much. Maybe you need to stack them, if that's a thing. But I thought the user gets the worst of it when splatted, and it doesn't really seem noticeable when I do, so I can't imagine my opponents feel much of anything from it.

I'm still salty about what they did to QR. Not that I liked QR how it was used before, but with it being basically "exclusively for noobs or designated rm carriers that don't splat anyone on purpose" it seems like a waste of something else cool we could have had.

I should build an all QR shiny set and use it with sploosh or aero. Make sure to never ever splat anyone, and just keep painting EVERYTHING. :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Do you guys really see much effect from respawn punisher? I've been using it with blaster, squiffer, and eliter (can't really think of other gear I'd want more) I was using it with tuber but figured more swim speed mattered more. But whenever I use it I just don't feel it's doing much. Maybe you need to stack them, if that's a thing. But I thought the user gets the worst of it when splatted, and it doesn't really seem noticeable when I do, so I can't imagine my opponents feel much of anything from it.

I'm still salty about what they did to QR. Not that I liked QR how it was used before, but with it being basically "exclusively for noobs or designated rm carriers that don't splat anyone on purpose" it seems like a waste of something else cool we could have had.

I should build an all QR shiny set and use it with sploosh or aero. Make sure to never ever splat anyone, and just keep painting EVERYTHING. :p
So I use respawn punisher with the rapid blaster, and I see the biggest effects for it when we're making a final push on tower. Those extra seconds when the tower is closing in on the finish line (the closest point to the enemy respawn) are critical. If I can take just a few people out at that moment, the swing is huge. It may not have a huge effect on the entire match, but when you get a wipe at critical junctures, it lives up to its name.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Respawn Punisher adds almost a second to the time before the respawn counter and increases special loss by around 7%, last I heard. This applies to both the user and those they splat. If you can get many splats without getting taken out yourself, that's a LOT of time you're taking from the enemy over the course of a match.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
It's not just Octoling Rendezvous. All of the Hero Mode songs returning from the first game are missing as well. (Those songs being Tentacular Circus, Octoling Rendezvous and Cephaloparade.)
Also the MTB helmet is awesome and what I'm basing all my outfits around
You mean Gas Mask 2.0? Because both have 3-slot Tenacity and both are incredibly ugly.
Do you guys really see much effect from respawn punisher?
Yes and No. Yes because I can definitely feel the effect of it, no because the last time I used respawn punisher I ended up getting almost nothing but trades. I get the feeling it would be best on long ranged weapons (and the Tri-Slosher, because that thing's already really strong.)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Haven't really used Respawn Punisher myself, but I've had numerous matches where it could have been worthwhile merely because my splat count is due to obstinate opponents: charging at me, charging at me in a straight line, charging at me when they're already at a disadvantage, "sneakily" wanting to attack me when I clearly see them, wanting to fight at a disadvantage, wanting to fight when I give them the option to run, ignoring whatever damage they've already taken from me, not wanting to back down during a failed approach or flank, etc.

Wearing it with the brella? Could be a helpful way of forcing myself to learn and perform better with it.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

I just realized how similar our builds are, with an exception of two main abilities.

I'm currently working on getting more Ink Recovery chunks to replace that one random Special Power up sub, but the only difference is that I use Thermal Ink and Bomb Defense instead of Tenacity and Respawn Punisher.

Thermal Ink is pretty amazing on long ranged weapons like the Jet Squelcher or Splatlings that might not always splat an enemy and sometimes only do chip damage to them, so the free mini point sensor is pretty useful to track the enemy and punish them if they try to flank or anything like that.

Bomb Defense is just a generally useful ability against specials like Tenta Missles, Inkjets, and Bomb Rushes to further increase my survivability.

EDIT: On top of all of this, the set I have does look pretty fresh. Which is another plus. :D

Luminario

Full Squid
It's not just Octoling Rendezvous. All of the Hero Mode songs returning from the first game are missing as well. (Those songs being Tentacular Circus, Octoling Rendezvous and Cephaloparade.)
Ah, I never paid attention to the other missing songs. Still, if there are 3 missing songs that's perfect for Off the Hook and Octoling Amiibos. Cmon Nintendo, give me my octopus queen.

Speaking of abilities, I've always gone for the Ink Savers and Ink Recovery, simply because I usually found myself low on ink when I started Splatoon 1, and it lets me get off even more charge shots and sub uses without being in ink for too long. I've actually lost quite a few chunk grinding clothes thanks to getting triple sub abilities of the same type, and I wouldn't dare scrub them yet due to how rare that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom