Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

Heavy Splatling Deco is the next weapon to arrive and comes equipped with Splash Walls and Bubble Blower. I knew Tenta Brella wasn't coming as the next weapon since they teased it with "coming soon" and not giving it a firm release date like they did with Kelp Dome, Manta Maria, Lost Outpost and the Forge Pro.
Oh boy, wasn't this one of the weapons shown in one of the trailers a long with the Forge?

I'm pretty hyped for this weapon, kit looks pretty nice (expectantly since Splash Wall got buffed) and the Special just adds to it's defensive playstyle. I was also going to work on a splatling build that would hopefully look like this, so I'm looking forward to it.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It think it's been pretty well established that you've got a really off-kilter view of the game relative to most people, Award. Some friends of mine have been joking that you're from a parallel dimension just slightly different from this one :p
Hah, about the ladder or the ranking? :) The people that like it seem to all be S1 higher-level S+ competitive and high tier players which are themselves going to be a different perspective, like L_D. As for ladders...most games use the resetting ladders! Nintendo's the one out of the loop on that one. The ladders work as they should for a resetting ladder system. They just forgot to reset them which is why you guys are all getting frustrated by the ease of it (I'm still not convinced of the ease, but I haven't really put time into trying it based on the low rank misery). If they reset you like most games do you'd have to keep climbing, the way the league power works where it resets.

I don't profess to be mainstream in the game, I'm a Goo Tuber/Sploosh/Bambi/Hydra/Roller main who ditched brush when it became meta, and refuses to touch a splattershot, for crying out loud! :P But those ideas aren't really that off-center :)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Edit: Got a little out of hand.

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
Honestly the new e-liter range is slightly off and it also lacks any short range defense to protect itself.
It has a slight nerf in range from it's predecessor forcing you to edge a little out of the comfort zone now.
Honestly I been playing the e-liter 4k like a long range squiffer, using AWKWARD positions, trolling tapshots and flanks to get the job done (PS manta marina = hammerhead bridge)
It is still hitscan tough the genuine oddity to me has been it's shots, hits are a little inconsistent some just miss and some seem to just graze by the enemy and splat them...might have to due with charger piercing or maybe just a slight amount of lag idk.
Overall I find it fun to use.... it just requires you to approach the weapon from a different angle.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
(insrt disappointment here)
Gee, thanks nintendo,
for teasing my second most anticpated weapon, then pushing back its release =/
This is a cool kit and it will be a solid defensive weapon it's just. . . not a tenta brella
and I feel even more let down that I can't get excited for such a cool kit.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Gee, thanks nintendo,
for teasing my second most anticpated weapon, then pushing back its release =/
This is a cool kit and it will be a solid defensive weapon it's just. . . not a tenta brella
and I feel even more let down that I can't get excited for such a cool kit.
Look on the bright side, now you've got another long-range threat to constantly have to deal with in your matches! Isn't that GREAT!? :P

Award

Edit: Got a little out of hand.
Hah, NP, was wondering what was going on there!

For the record, though, and for clarification if there's any confusion, I don't have any problem with Dolphin at all! We used to debate laggy dynamo a ton back in the day too :) It's all in good fun. I only meant that he's SUCH a good player he represents the extreme end of different perspective.

@Award
Honestly the new e-liter range is slightly off and it also lacks any short range defense to protect itself.
It has a slight nerf in range from it's predecessor forcing you to edge a little out of the comfort zone now.
Honestly I been playing the e-liter 4k like a long range squiffer, using AWKWARD positions, trolling tapshots and flanks to get the job done (PS manta marina = hammerhead bridge)
It is still hitscan tough the genuine oddity to me has been it's shots, hits are a little inconsistent some just miss and some seem to just graze by the enemy and splat them...might have to due with charger piercing or maybe just a slight amount of lag idk.
Overall I find it fun to use.... it just requires you to approach the weapon from a different angle.
Yeah the range is a mess, and I knew that much. But it generally feels like you can't use the full range with the maps anyway. Especially since they barricaded off the sight lines on the few you can. I actually ALWAYS used eliter like a big squiffer.

Interesting about manta being hammerhead. I knew every map is basically a rework of existing ones, but I never saw the manta/hammer correlation. I love that map, and I loved hammerhead (except zones. Hammerhead zones can die in a hole :P )

That's encouraging that it's still hitscan, it wasn't feeling it. But I've noticed a lot of what you've noticed. Shots just seem to miss. Shots that with other chargers seem like they'd hit. I spend a lot of maps unloading shot after shot and never hitting even though some of those shots felt like they should have hit (and with other chargers, seem to.) Maybe it's a genuine bug. Or has a much smaller hitbox than S1? it seems like if an opponent is moving at all other than in a straight line (and most maps don't give you straight lines) it's a guaranteed miss. And if you need to go in closer and can't use the range....why not use the regular chargers?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Hard to say if sub-power up would be of any worth for splash walls.

But I really want to try out a splash wall to bubble blower to splash wall combo or splash wall to bubble blower to full charge combo (not popping the bubbles) for locking down an area. Should be quicker to pull off than it was when I had an inkstrike for a special.

Poor Spla2n vanilla splatling, we became well acquainted even before the sting ray buff then suddenly my old flame walks into town.

Ah, the self-perceived cheap daytime drama of a multi-weapon user.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Hard to say if sub-power up would be of any worth for splash walls.

But I really want to try out a splash wall to bubble blower to splash wall combo or splash wall to bubble blower to full charge combo (not popping the bubbles) for locking down an area. Should be quicker to pull off than it was when I had an inkstrike for a special.

Poor Spla2n vanilla splatling, we became well acquainted even before the sting ray buff then suddenly my old flame walks into town.

Ah, the self-perceived cheap daytime drama of a multi-weapon user.
We should test splash wall with sub power up, see how much the durability increases. I'm curious too. SCIENCE!
Edit: So I tested this with a friend, and 3 mains of sub power up adds roughly 30% to the durability of the splash wall, it was able to take 2 splat bombs and have a small amount of health left before breaking, and lasted slightly longer against a splattershot. Not bad for the investment!

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
In other news SplatNet Store has just pulled the best meme ever:

That's right! For a FOUR hour special you can get your hands on this amazing Fishfry with Opening Gambit! Who needs good abilities on fresh gear when you get twice the time to pick up the best gear offer yet!

Also with regards to the Heavy Deco I was considering a build that has 1 main and 3 subs of Sub Power Up, Ink Saver Main and Ink Saver Sub. Tanking up the Splash Wall whilst adding ink efficiency for barrages of attacks, then using the Bubble Blower to get ink back and hold down the map for longer. I may not be playing this game too often, but I'll definitely be checking out this weapon and Kelp Dome tomorrow, then back to the lurking wait of the next weapon :P

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
In other news SplatNet Store has just pulled the best meme ever:

That's right! For a FOUR hour special you can get your hands on this amazing Fishfry with Opening Gambit! Who needs good abilities on fresh gear when you get twice the time to pick up the best gear offer yet!

Also with regards to the Heavy Deco I was considering a build that has 1 main and 3 subs of Sub Power Up, Ink Saver Main and Ink Saver Sub. Tanking up the Splash Wall whilst adding ink efficiency for barrages of attacks, then using the Bubble Blower to get ink back and hold down the map for longer. I may not be playing this game too often, but I'll definitely be checking out this weapon and Kelp Dome tomorrow, then back to the lurking wait of the next weapon :p
I had the same thing once. It was two shirts with Special Power Up that were both Splash Mob.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin

Heavy Splatling Deco is the next weapon to arrive and comes equipped with Splash Walls and Bubble Blower. I knew Tenta Brella wasn't coming as the next weapon since they teased it with "coming soon" and not giving it a firm release date like they did with Kelp Dome, Manta Maria, Lost Outpost and the Forge Pro.
Bah, the bait n switch! Ahwell, it is about time we got another Splash Wall weapon and it's still another Bubble Blower to make the Forge less lonely.

LOL, you're pretty much the single living example of what I was talking about. "easily reached S+50"....even the people complaining about how easy the new ranked is aren't expressing much hope of ever getting to S+ 50 :p You're among the best of the best of the best of the entire game, so you're going to have a radically different perspective on difficulty versus almost absolutely everyone else. If you can "easily reach S+50" it means at your skill level you can likely carry almost any team, no matter now disastrously imbalanced, because your presence in the match is the biggest imbalance there can be in any rank below S+50 :p without you ever feeling the problems the imbalances causes players who aren't individually massively superior to a combination of multiple opponents that are superior to everyone else on your team :p The old system that made it so punishing that even you couldn't stay in S+ indefinitely wasn't a mert of its success, that was a critical piece of its failure, that players of such high skill would be, frankly, artificially knocked down, would then contaminate lower pools of skill with players that were much higher than they should be playing with. A player that can reach S+50 at all in this game, even with the "broken" easy difficulty some speak of, is not someone that should have ever been knocked from S+ in Splatoon 1, assuming your skills then were not inferior to your skill now.

I can't say if the new ranking works well or not. I've seen plenty of frustration in the C's & B's (though on my second account it shot me from C- right to B- on all three modes, yet on my first account made me grind through every rank and broke the glass twice...) But I haven't played solo in 3-4 weeks so maybe it's better or worse now. But I do always get amused (which is what I was originally talking about) when competitive and top tier players complain it's easy. Of course it's easy for you, because you're a superlative player! The all out broken unfairness of the original game was, to you, "a fun challenge". Some people think escaping from a straight jacket in a locked tank of water is a fun challenge too :p

This is true!

That's really why what I was saying to @Dessgeega earlier about ladder resets was an important part of this new ladder system. The implemented the ladder system we here at SB conjured 2 years ago that rewards progress more than punishing failure. Yay! But the other part of that was supposed to be monthly or quarterly ladder resets. Rather than "I made it up to S+20 and try to stay there" it was supposed to be like the league power, where it's a temporary measurement "this month/quarter I got up to S+3!" Most MOBAs and shooters reset the ladders frequently (or Blizzard does it whenever they feel like it...) So League really does what the solo queue don't. They tried to take Street Fighter ranks into a shooter where resetting ladders are supposed to work in S1. It was a disaster. In S2 they implemented the ladder but forgot you have to reset them.

@Lonely_Dolphin @Saber I wanted to ask you guys, since you're the weapon experts, I was talking to some folks yesterday about how eliter just feels "off" in S2, shots that feel like they should hit, don't. I find it REALLY awful to use and I couldn't figure out why. They pointed out it's no longer a hitscan weapon and it now relies on bullet travel time like every other weapon (which for eliter range makes it almost completely broken.) I haven't seen discussion about that here....but by feel, it sounds about right. Have you guys seen anything about that?
I'm not saying rank is easy for everybody, but it is definitely easier for everyone no matter their skill level. I feel most anyone can reach S+50 with enough time, not just the best players, which I'm definitely not though thanks for the compliment hehe. Getting 4 wins before getting 8 losses is just so much leeway, you don't even need a 50% win-rate to make progress. All players get the benefits from that.

I've not used Charger's seriously for a very long time. Went out of practice for a good while, then switched to motion controls which somehow made me worse at them, but able to now use the Bamboozler pretty well funnily enough. So I'm far from expert, but I do know that Chargers aren't hitscan, they have just a couple frames of travel time. I've not noticed any differences there in Splatoon 2, so I think the main reason the E-Liter is weaker is as yal said, the map designs, range nerf, and lesser kits.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I also got 3 grizzco blasters on my team, it was glorious :D What better place to break the weapon balance than Salmon Run? This is an awesome new mechanic!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
I also got 3 grizzco blasters on my team, it was glorious :D What better place to break the weapon balance than Salmon Run? This is an awesome new mechanic!
Agreed. If there's anyplace where weapon balance isn't required, it's Salmon Run. Who cares if a certain weapon is shredding those salmonid to bits? Just means more reward for everyone.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Can you unlock it or is it strictly a salmon run thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom