Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm finding that Kelp Dome is the same as it ever was. The expanded areas and extra walkways are nice, but really, it's the same stage to the point that all my old tricks and tactics still work :P

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I'm finding that Kelp Dome is the same as it ever was. The expanded areas and extra walkways are nice, but really, it's the same stage to the point that all my old tricks and tactics still work :p
Especially the final push funnel tactic in Tower Control. Swap out the Killer Wail for the Sting Ray and it's still just as brutal of a salt mine as ever.
I had personally forgotten about this trick, and my league team at the time never even played the first game, but after we ran into a team pulling this stunt leading us to lose, we then proceeded to follow suit.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hmmm...still not a fan of Kelp Dome. Well, at least they didn't bring back one of the stages that I avoided altogether.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Man, today's update has been pretty great!

Really enjoyed using the Heavy Deco, it's really exceeded my expectations and I'm definitely going to use it over the Vanilla most of the time. I never really enjoyed Kelp Dome in the first game and I still don't here, but the fact we're getting maps from the first game makes very excited for future updates.

Also: while I totally called the mystery weapon being the Grizzco Blaster, I didn't expect it to be so amazing! It makes me wonder what the other Grizzco weapons will be like...

Cyan

Inkling Commander
So I've also had a go at this special Salmon Run rotation and I much prefer the format of fully randomised weapons each wave, keeps it way more exciting and interesting than the regular waves, and the Grizzco Blaster is pretty fun too. It isn't OP at all as it paints like a Clash Blaster and has similar damage output, so it wouldn't be entirely out of the question for these weapon variants to come into the main multiplayer as something different. I'll show some pictures of the events too, including this one wave where I was the only one Grizzco-weaponless and had a Carbon Roller (fun):

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Cyan, normally I agree with you on things, but did you miss the Grizzco Blaster firing TWICE AS FAST as the Clash Blaster? Sure, it could come to multiplayer as a skin, but in it's current form it's intentionally game breaking which doesn't matter in Salmon Run.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Cyan, normally I agree with you on things, but did you miss the Grizzco Blaster firing TWICE AS FAST as the Clash Blaster? Sure, it could come to multiplayer as a skin, but in it's current form it's intentionally game breaking which doesn't matter in Salmon Run.
I wonder how much damage they'd have to take off of the Grizzco Blaster to make it balanced for PvP. The fire rate is what makes it so much fun, so they'd have to scale back the damage instead.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Bah, the bait n switch! Ahwell, it is about time we got another Splash Wall weapon and it's still another Bubble Blower to make the Forge less lonely.

I'm not saying rank is easy for everybody, but it is definitely easier for everyone no matter their skill level. I feel most anyone can reach S+50 with enough time, not just the best players, which I'm definitely not though thanks for the compliment hehe. Getting 4 wins before getting 8 losses is just so much leeway, you don't even need a 50% win-rate to make progress. All players get the benefits from that.

I've not used Charger's seriously for a very long time. Went out of practice for a good while, then switched to motion controls which somehow made me worse at them, but able to now use the Bamboozler pretty well funnily enough. So I'm far from expert, but I do know that Chargers aren't hitscan, they have just a couple frames of travel time. I've not noticed any differences there in Splatoon 2, so I think the main reason the E-Liter is weaker is as yal said, the map designs, range nerf, and lesser kits.
Such modesty....I've never played with you, but I've followed your insights long enough to know you're a top tier player. ;) Getting to S+FIFTY of all things "easily" kind of confirms that ;) Even if S+ were indeed so easy (darn you guys you're really making me curious to try, but I know it will open a huge salt mine), 50 remains no easy feat!

Hmm, I'd heard constantly that S1 chargers were hitscan. In 2 it seems up for debate, some people say they are, some say they aren't, but I'd never heard it questioned for S1. That's interesting. If so, explains a lot about my inconsistency with chargers if lag gets involved. I've been seeing more and more laggy players recently (players I hit in the face with a roller, they run away, turn, shoot me, then explode), players that vanish entirely but didn't dc, etc, and enemies that have ttk's and ranges way beyond what the wep should. I've been seeing a lot of lv1-10 in TW as well, so the noob pool/lag pool is growing (though some of those 1-10's are no noobs....certainly it's people moving over from S1 and/or alts.) But it's not all the time. Chargers are sounding less and less likable in this game, and yet I can't quite get myself to leave them behind....eliter was the wep that got me totally addicted to splatoon the first time around. I play loads of weapons as "main" but the charger class remains special to me. But it's also obscenely infuriating more times than not :P

I hadn't know you weren't using motion controls prior....that's....impressive...especially for chargers! I didn't think they were really possible to use well with sticks. I still feel like chargers must have a smaller active hitbox. I was raised on the school of the flick shot with eliters. I've noticed if I hold my ground and take time to slowly aim I'm more likely to hit. If I try to get off flick shots, missing seems almost guaranteed with the enemy moving anywhere but toward or away from me. In S1 I could get flick shots pretty regularly with the same technique. I was out of practice as well for about a year, but I'm comfortable with the class enough again that I should be getting a lot more success with flicking than I am unless something is different. On occasion I get the same effect with tuber, but I've noticed that tuber flicking seems to be as accurate as I remember eliter flicking. I can flick fairly well with it. But eliter feels....off. I miss almost all flick attempts with it. Splat charger feels somewhere in the middle. Much better than eliter, but not as good as the shorter range ones. Range seems to play with the hit time somehow in a way it didn't seem to in S1. No measurements or datamining. Just the "feel" for an old eliter main.

The real story, though, is the utter uselessness of all scoped versions with the new map layouts. Cropped vision, plenty of flank routes, less range to keep distance, and no stored charge to dodge with. I always preferred scopeless until the first eliter nerf, but the new maps just make that miserable (including Moray, sadly.) I want Pirhana Pit back!

I wonder how much damage they'd have to take off of the Grizzco Blaster to make it balanced for PvP. The fire rate is what makes it so much fun, so they'd have to scale back the damage instead.
Well if it's double the fire rate of clash it would have to have half the damage of clash. Which wasn't very powerful to begin with. Might as well be a burst bomb main :)

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
This idea was given by someone else in DUDE's stream, but I'd like to see Saltspray rig to return but as a salmon run stage.

Only difference is that it has been taken over by the salmonids.
The high tide can be the huge part on the top of the map with the rotating crane.
The mid tide can be the middle of the map thats where the elevators are but expanded.
And the low tide can be where the old spawn is for the inklings in splat 1 connecting that huge square in the middle.

Award

This idea was given by someone else in DUDE's stream, but I'd like to see Saltspray rig to return but as a salmon run stage.

Only difference is that it has been taken over by the salmonids.
The high tide can be the huge part on the top of the map with the rotating crane.
The mid tide can be the middle of the map thats where the elevators are but expanded.
And the low tide can be where the old spawn is for the inklings in splat 1 connecting that huge square in the middle.
I really like that idea! The atmosphere is so perfect for it too. Though I think the map might be a little too big as-is for salmon. It needs to be more cramped and the spawns for low tide need to be moved in closer. But that's perfect because the map itself was actually kind of cool, but since it was pulled from all ranked except zones, I can't see it being able to be reworked for actual rotation.

Reactions: the

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It would need some editing, with maybe some broken walkways and hastily added new ones, along with those two sniper perches getting ramps so the salmonids can attack there, but I can see that working.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I feel that compared to the splattershot pro, pairing the bubble blower with the heavy splatling was a better idea. After gleefully swishing out the bubbles you can quickly pop two or all three at your leisure within a single charge.

Meanwhile, sorting through my clothing for some outfits I was reminded that Drop Roller is a thing! LOL Does anyone even use it? Does splashdown cancel its usage?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Meanwhile, sorting through my clothing for some outfits I was reminded that Drop Roller is a thing! LOL Does anyone even use it? Does splashdown cancel its usage?
I never see anyone use it. Honestly, outside of very safe super jumps, the only people I see jumping are idiots and splashdowners (based on my experience -- anecdotal evidence that may not have much in common with statistical reality). Most people I play with swim back the majority of the time, so dedicating a main ability to something like drop roller seems weird.

Not to mention that it seems less effective than dropping a bomb when you land or, if you have a dual-whatever, taking a free roll without that ability.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I feel that compared to the splattershot pro, pairing the bubble blower with the heavy splatling was a better idea. After gleefully swishing out the bubbles you can quickly pop two or all three at your leisure within a single charge.

From what I get you have to hold zl and then choose a direction to land in, it is okay but it is better when used sparingly.
It really work well on closer range weapons that can turn the surprise into a splat, or for weapons with splashdown cause it turns the battle into a game of Russian splatlet:D

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I now feel pretty confident in saying the Sloshing Machine is one of the best weapons in the game, but I haven't seen much discussion about it so I don't know what the general consensus on it is. I'm guessing the Sting Ray is keeping people from giving it a serious look, but even with that I still think it's OP with just how strong the main weapon itself is. Well I wont be surprised if people eventually start complaining about it like they did the Tri-Slosher hehe.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I never see anyone use it. Honestly, outside of very safe super jumps, the only people I see jumping are idiots and splashdowners (based on my experience -- anecdotal evidence that may not have much in common with statistical reality). Most people I play with swim back the majority of the time, so dedicating a main ability to something like drop roller seems weird.

Not to mention that it seems less effective than dropping a bomb when you land or, if you have a dual-whatever, taking a free roll without that ability.
Just like how Bomb Sniffer was never used, and now no one noticed that it isn't in Splatoon 2 :(.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I now feel pretty confident in saying the Sloshing Machine is one of the best weapons in the game, but I haven't seen much discussion about it so I don't know what the general consensus on it is. I'm guessing the Sting Ray is keeping people from giving it a serious look, but even with that I still think it's OP with just how strong the main weapon itself is. Well I wont be surprised if people eventually start complaining about it like they did the Tri-Slosher hehe.
Actually according to the tier list up in the competitive section the sloshing machine is at the top of tier 2 (behind only the tentatek and rapid blaster)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom