Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Saber the strictness of the original ranked system is what has kept me playing the first game even now. I don't know about you, but not being able to achieve something in a video game (in this case, reach S+) just pisses me off. An insane amount of persistence is what got me through F-Zero GX's neigh impossible story mode.

Anyway, always glad to see old stages returning! I just hope it's not too mutated like Port Mackerel.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Saber the strictness of the original ranked system is what has kept me playing the first game even now. I don't know about you, but not being able to achieve something in a video game (in this case, reach S+) just pisses me off. An insane amount of persistence is what got me through F-Zero GX's neigh impossible story mode.

Anyway, always glad to see old stages returning! I just hope it's not too mutated like Port Mackerel.
I understand what you mean it took me fighting tooth and nail to finally get to S+ in the first game, something that I don't know if I 'd truely want to go through again, but nowadays it just feels a little too easy, before each battle could very well go either way even up until the last moment.

Many games I play nowadays feel a little one sided with one team dominating the match, there have been a few close call matches that were a whole lot more fun (even when we lost) and it felt rewarding which is what I am really wanting to see more of in this game

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I can't believe they felt the need for more inkable terrain in Kelp Dome. That's the opposite of what that stage needed.

Ah well, new stage looks great, though.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I can't believe they felt the need for more inkable terrain in Kelp Dome. That's the opposite of what that stage needed.

Ah well, new stage looks great, though.
It'll be great for those ranked matches where your teammates repeatedly ink away from the action so they can get their special instead of getting back into the game and... you know...helping. If anything, that's what every map needs. There's just not enough extra turf for ill-advised special spamming in this game.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

I understand what you mean it took me fighting tooth and nail to finally get to S+ in the first game, something that I don't know if I 'd truely want to go through again, but nowadays it just feels a little too easy, before each battle could very well go either way even up until the last moment.

Many games I play nowadays feel a little one sided with one team dominating the match, there have been a few close call matches that were a whole lot more fun (even when we lost) but overall it felt rewarding which I feel that this game is missing from it's ranked mode.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Noice, didn't think we'd get a new map so soon, and it's one of my favorites! Tenta Brella is also surprising, I was expecting the light version first as that's normally how it goes, but I guess they wanted another Bubble Blower weapon. I'm really curious to see how much range and damage it has.

EDIT: Looking over the footage again it appears to have a similar maximum range to Splattershot Pro/.96 Gal range tier weapons. It's going to be very slow though, takes quite a while for the shield to activate.
An umbrella with Pro range...that sounds pretty cool. Though I will never play it because I can not for the life of me handle the whole shield aspect in this game. I've seen some players manage it....I doubt I'll ever be one of them!

I'm more here for Snapper, i get the feel like it's gonna be my kind of stage. The stage being obstructed by water reminds me of Mahi-Mahi, which was also one of my more loved stages from the first game. I'm pretty excited!

I'm probably the only one who's not a big fan of Dome, felt too much like a melee fighter's paradise to me. Now that it's going to be in a version where short-ranged fighters dominate i fear it will become an inverse moray.

Having a new weapon with bubbler is always good.
It frustrates me that in Moray they put up so many barriers and blockades, ranged weapons, especially chargers almost feel useless now in a map that used to be all about range. Any trick shot, clever map use, flick shot jump shot skill can't be used because no matter where you go with a charger they've intentionally put barricates up to obstruct your sight lines unless you stand in the three designated locations that have a view, and of course those are blocked by most angles that actually use the range of the longer chargers. It's almost the WORST map for chargers now. I always feel useless with a charger on that map. From almost no angle can I actually get a shot at an enemy other than a split second they're zipping diagonally by (which is almost impossible to hit with a charger if you can't find an angle they're going in a straight line.) So I end up inking mostly to set things up for teammates. I fire 50 shots and end up with one kill to their 10. :P Pushing the ramps can work with chargers, and squiffer/tuber is fine, but charger/eliter...yuck....you can do nothing in mid anymore. (And that assumes you don't get flanked while you try thanks to the zip lines.)

Welp... yet another week for me waiting to be reunited with either Bambi or Hydy... so cruel.

I guess Tenta Brella will do as a consolation. I'm already getting use the current Splat Brella. Even have a "git gud or respawn trying" set for it consisting of the Cycle King cap and jersey, bomb defense up and respawn punisher respectively. Still trying to figure out a pair of matching shoes and what ability to go with it.

Unless it's classed as a heavy with swim speed debuff, I doubt it'll be a one shot weapon. Or if they'll even raise the damage for shield bumping. I'll still try it though, because I'm me. =p

Hmm, wonder if the updated Kelp Dome will still allow for the 20second Rainmaker dash.
But there's already a one shot brella:
upload_2017-9-14_10-45-45.png
:D

The first game's ranking wasn't strict, it was broken and infuriating. I can understand people not being happy with challenge in this one (I kind of stopped ranked at B....so I don't know...it seemed plenty frustrating still....) if it's as easy as some are saying, but lets not pretend the first one was anything short of miserable :P

Many games I play nowadays feel a little one sided with one team dominating the match, there have been a few close call matches that were a whole lot more fun (even when we lost) and it felt rewarding which is what I am really wanting to see more of in this game
I suspect the ranked isn't as easy as the SB crowd which seems to lean largely toward competitive/top tier play to begin with (which is probably 5-10% of the entire player base if that.) Maybe easy for the folks here, but just from the misery I saw when I was playing ranked I wouldn't call that easy (maybe it gets easier at higher ranks when your teammates aren't fodder?) But what you say here does ring true, that it's very one sided with one team dominating. That's the frustration I was seeing for sure, except last time I was playing ranked it was a one sided mess for 20 games or so (I'd win one periodically to hold my ok line before finally going up again.) It wasn't "challenging" so much as, when it was good, my team could handle it without me, I should have stayed on spawn and partied, while when it was bad, it didn't really matter that I was the ONLY squid with more than one kill, and the ONLY squid that moved the objective the 3-5 points it actually moved (or possibly moving it 4 points away from victory), it would never move again and the enemy would win by KO anyway (and we'd be stuck in our base.)

The ranked modes are kind of fun, but in a lot of ways TW still seems more fun aside from all the disconnects. There's actual weapon variety there and more unique gameplay strategies used. It feels like TW and SZ have been locked down to "one strategy to win" with the same weapon meta since Splatoon 1. I was hoping for all NEW ranked modes this time, not the same 3 tired ones. Leagues is still a blast, but I feel it plays more like TW because people are willing to experiment with weapons and strategies there, while solo ranked is "same 5 weapons every round." I keep debating whether I want to do solo queue again if it's as easy as everyone says, but honestly, I think solo ranked is probably the worst part of Splatoon as a package, well below even lowly TW. It's like Ryu vs. Fox every single battle.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
An umbrella with Pro range...that sounds pretty cool. Though I will never play it because I can not for the life of me handle the whole shield aspect in this game. I've seen some players manage it....I doubt I'll ever be one of them!

It frustrates me that in Moray they put up so many barriers and blockades, ranged weapons, especially chargers almost feel useless now in a map that used to be all about range. Any trick shot, clever map use, flick shot jump shot skill can't be used because no matter where you go with a charger they've intentionally put barricates up to obstruct your sight lines unless you stand in the three designated locations that have a view, and of course those are blocked by most angles that actually use the range of the longer chargers. It's almost the WORST map for chargers now. I always feel useless with a charger on that map. From almost no angle can I actually get a shot at an enemy other than a split second they're zipping diagonally by (which is almost impossible to hit with a charger if you can't find an angle they're going in a straight line.) So I end up inking mostly to set things up for teammates. I fire 50 shots and end up with one kill to their 10. :p Pushing the ramps can work with chargers, and squiffer/tuber is fine, but charger/eliter...yuck....you can do nothing in mid anymore. (And that assumes you don't get flanked while you try thanks to the zip lines.)

But there's already a one shot brella:

The first game's ranking wasn't strict, it was broken and infuriating. I can understand people not being happy with challenge in this one (I kind of stopped ranked at B....so I don't know...it seemed plenty frustrating still....) if it's as easy as some are saying, but lets not pretend the first one was anything short of miserable :p

I suspect the ranked isn't as easy as the SB crowd which seems to lean largely toward competitive/top tier play to begin with (which is probably 5-10% of the entire player base if that.) Maybe easy for the folks here, but just from the misery I saw when I was playing ranked I wouldn't call that easy (maybe it gets easier at higher ranks when your teammates aren't fodder?) But what you say here does ring true, that it's very one sided with one team dominating. That's the frustration I was seeing for sure, except last time I was playing ranked it was a one sided mess for 20 games or so (I'd win one periodically to hold my ok line before finally going up again.) It wasn't "challenging" so much as, when it was good, my team could handle it without me, I should have stayed on spawn and partied, while when it was bad, it didn't really matter that I was the ONLY squid with more than one kill, and the ONLY squid that moved the objective the 3-5 points it actually moved (or possibly moving it 4 points away from victory), it would never move again and the enemy would win by KO anyway (and we'd be stuck in our base.)

The ranked modes are kind of fun, but in a lot of ways TW still seems more fun aside from all the disconnects. There's actual weapon variety there and more unique gameplay strategies used. It feels like TW and SZ have been locked down to "one strategy to win" with the same weapon meta since Splatoon 1. I was hoping for all NEW ranked modes this time, not the same 3 tired ones. Leagues is still a blast, but I feel it plays more like TW because people are willing to experiment with weapons and strategies there, while solo ranked is "same 5 weapons every round." I keep debating whether I want to do solo queue again if it's as easy as everyone says, but honestly, I think solo ranked is probably the worst part of Splatoon as a package, well below even lowly TW. It's like Ryu vs. Fox every single battle.
I do like Splatoon 1's rank system better actually. Just feels more rewarding to rank up and rank better represents skill level, and the matches are generally a lot more intense n back n forth. I suppose the last part might mostly be due to the lack of Japanese players, but I do feel there are some S+ players who probably wouldn't be S+ if this were Splatoon 1. Even myself, while I was always able to rank up to S+, I couldn't stay that rank indefinitely, let alone reach S+99. Now I've easily reached S+50 in Splatzones and will soon be there for the other modes. Ranked is still the best part of the game for me though!

R

RandomSquid

I'm a person who can't win a single match on solo queue when it comes to S+. Yet I've managed (with the help of my friend) to reach the top 10 globally in league on multiple occasions. I personally like it, as it gives you something to work up to and improve on, beating your power every session.

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Heavy Splatling Deco is the next weapon to arrive and comes equipped with Splash Walls and Bubble Blower. I knew Tenta Brella wasn't coming as the next weapon since they teased it with "coming soon" and not giving it a firm release date like they did with Kelp Dome, Manta Maria, Lost Outpost and the Forge Pro.

the

Inkling Commander

Heavy Splatling Deco is the next weapon to arrive and comes equipped with Splash Walls and Bubble Blower. I knew Tenta Brella wasn't coming as the next weapon since they teased it with "coming soon" and not giving it a firm release date like they did with Kelp Dome, Manta Maria, Lost Outpost and the Forge Pro.
(THE CLOUDS PART, ANGELIC CHOIRS SING DOWN AS THE SPLATLING DECO DESCENDS IN A BEAM OF LIGHT)

As excited as i am tho; kinda weird that they added the splatling deco before hydra splatling. Maybe they're gonna release that the last of all the vanilla weaps because
you don't unlock it until level 27

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
(THE CLOUDS PART, ANGELIC CHOIRS SING DOWN AS THE SPLATLING DECO DESCENDS IN A BEAM OF LIGHT)

As excited as i am tho; kinda weird that they added the splatling deco before hydra splatling. Maybe they're gonna release that the last of all the vanilla weaps
I wouldn't mind that, I used to play the Octobrush in Splatoon 1 quite a bit at some point, but I'm not really feeling its standard load-out in S2.

Reactions: the

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Hooray! -throws confetti into the sky-

Been anticipating the release of this weapon, super glad it's coming out this early! Can't wait to try this one out! HYPE!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

This seems to be very similar to the vanilla Splatling, though have slightly more defense with the bubble blower.
This might be my favorite of the splatlings....mainly due to how well it works around my kits of speed and ink efficentcy.... can't wait

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That is going to be tanky as hell in any League setting. Several friends of mine like to pair their Heavy with my Jet Squelcher in League, and such a pairing with the Deco will provide some serious defense for our two allies. Looking forward to it!

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616

Heavy Splatling Deco is the next weapon to arrive and comes equipped with Splash Walls and Bubble Blower.
Oh I've been excited for this since it was leaked, definitely gonna look forward to using it!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Not sure my heart can handle this rollercoaster. I'm kept from the bamboozler and hydra splatling, I was teased about a new brella, now I'm being told I'm getting back my preferred splatling loadout (sans inkstrike) instead?

I don't know how to feel anymore!

Award

I do like Splatoon 1's rank system better actually. Just feels more rewarding to rank up and rank better represents skill level, and the matches are generally a lot more intense n back n forth. I suppose the last part might mostly be due to the lack of Japanese players, but I do feel there are some S+ players who probably wouldn't be S+ if this were Splatoon 1. Even myself, while I was always able to rank up to S+, I couldn't stay that rank indefinitely, let alone reach S+99. Now I've easily reached S+50 in Splatzones and will soon be there for the other modes. Ranked is still the best part of the game for me though!
LOL, you're pretty much the single living example of what I was talking about. "easily reached S+50"....even the people complaining about how easy the new ranked is aren't expressing much hope of ever getting to S+ 50 :p You're among the best of the best of the best of the entire game, so you're going to have a radically different perspective on difficulty versus almost absolutely everyone else. If you can "easily reach S+50" it means at your skill level you can likely carry almost any team, no matter now disastrously imbalanced, because your presence in the match is the biggest imbalance there can be in any rank below S+50 :p without you ever feeling the problems the imbalances causes players who aren't individually massively superior to a combination of multiple opponents that are superior to everyone else on your team :p The old system that made it so punishing that even you couldn't stay in S+ indefinitely wasn't a mert of its success, that was a critical piece of its failure, that players of such high skill would be, frankly, artificially knocked down, would then contaminate lower pools of skill with players that were much higher than they should be playing with. A player that can reach S+50 at all in this game, even with the "broken" easy difficulty some speak of, is not someone that should have ever been knocked from S+ in Splatoon 1, assuming your skills then were not inferior to your skill now.

I can't say if the new ranking works well or not. I've seen plenty of frustration in the C's & B's (though on my second account it shot me from C- right to B- on all three modes, yet on my first account made me grind through every rank and broke the glass twice...) But I haven't played solo in 3-4 weeks so maybe it's better or worse now. But I do always get amused (which is what I was originally talking about) when competitive and top tier players complain it's easy. Of course it's easy for you, because you're a superlative player! The all out broken unfairness of the original game was, to you, "a fun challenge". Some people think escaping from a straight jacket in a locked tank of water is a fun challenge too :p

It's all about that league power now (if you want to play the online brag game)
This is true!

I'm a person who can't win a single match on solo queue when it comes to S+. Yet I've managed (with the help of my friend) to reach the top 10 globally in league on multiple occasions. I personally like it, as it gives you something to work up to and improve on, beating your power every session.
That's really why what I was saying to @Dessgeega earlier about ladder resets was an important part of this new ladder system. The implemented the ladder system we here at SB conjured 2 years ago that rewards progress more than punishing failure. Yay! But the other part of that was supposed to be monthly or quarterly ladder resets. Rather than "I made it up to S+20 and try to stay there" it was supposed to be like the league power, where it's a temporary measurement "this month/quarter I got up to S+3!" Most MOBAs and shooters reset the ladders frequently (or Blizzard does it whenever they feel like it...) So League really does what the solo queue don't. They tried to take Street Fighter ranks into a shooter where resetting ladders are supposed to work in S1. It was a disaster. In S2 they implemented the ladder but forgot you have to reset them.

@Lonely_Dolphin @Saber I wanted to ask you guys, since you're the weapon experts, I was talking to some folks yesterday about how eliter just feels "off" in S2, shots that feel like they should hit, don't. I find it REALLY awful to use and I couldn't figure out why. They pointed out it's no longer a hitscan weapon and it now relies on bullet travel time like every other weapon (which for eliter range makes it almost completely broken.) I haven't seen discussion about that here....but by feel, it sounds about right. Have you guys seen anything about that?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It think it's been pretty well established that you've got a really off-kilter view of the game relative to most people, Award. Some friends of mine have been joking that you're from a parallel dimension just slightly different from this one :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom