• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Still no Tenta Brella really? Well the RB Pro was one of my favorite weapons in the original game so I'm still happy. Wonder if it'll become the preferred Rapid Blaster, though this time around the extra range doesn't really let RB Pro outrange that many more weapons besides the original RB, but I suppose that alone is worth it.

the

Inkling Commander
Ooooh... I was already bad with dealing with the rapid blaster's range, I'd better be extra careful of a rapid pro with mist :p

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Ooooh... I was already bad with dealing with the rapid blaster's range, I'd better be extra careful of a rapid pro with mist :p
This will be deadly in the right hands (mine, I hope), but it's going to be even easier to get inside this blaster's range. Spacing/zoning while using the RBP is going to be all the more important because now it'll be more than just the shortest range weapons that'll be able to close inside optimal range and take the blaster down.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This will be deadly in the right hands (mine, I hope), but it's going to be even easier to get inside this blaster's range. Spacing/zoning while using the RBP is going to be all the more important because now it'll be more than just the shortest range weapons that'll be able to close inside optimal range and take the blaster down.
Yeah a lot of that spacing and zoning is mostly going to rely on the usage of toxic mist, placing it in a place so player lose the ability to flank you or risk being slowed/discovered and making use of inkstorm to force people to be split up a and picked off.... though I am worried giving a top tier weapon more range sound like a dangerous imbalance.
However this will make it a lot easier to rush down, the upcoming meta will likely feature this with tenta for suppression/ close range combat, a weapon with stingray (Splatling, charger, SM) for picks, and either n-zap or other ink armor weapon to protect the team.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yeah a lot of that spacing and zoning is mostly going to rely on the usage of toxic mist, placing it in a place so player lose the ability to flank you or risk being slowed/discovered and making use of inkstorm to force people to be split up a and picked off.... though I am worried giving a top tier weapon more range sound like a dangerous imbalance.
However this will make it a lot easier to rush down, the upcoming meta will likely feature this with tenta for suppression/ close range combat, a weapon with stingray (Splatling, charger, SM) for picks, and either n-zap or other ink armor weapon to protect the team.
Is it weird that I feel like this might diversify the meta even more? It creates so many counters and counter-counters that I'm excited to see which weapons will get more use as a result.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Not a hydra and definitely not a bamboozler! 0/10! Figuratively literally unplayably unplayable! Worse weapon evar!!1!

Wonder if the tenta brella release will be part of some update or new map at this rate.

I expect to see a ton of rain this weekend. And maybe some ink storm into blaster fire combos.

Curious what the Rapid Blaster Pro's range will be like. Especially compared to the splattershot pros, jet squelcher, and heavy splatlings. And then there's the fire rate for that thing.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Curious what the Rapid Blaster Pro's range will be like. Especially compared to the splattershot pros, jet squelcher, and heavy splatlings. And then there's the fire rate for that thing.
At the risk of spamming the thread (I'm just excited/I actually have the answers), The Jet's range is 82/100. Splat Charger is 88. Goo Tube is 78. Splatling is 78. Squiffer is 75. RB Pro is 72. SSP is 70. Rapid Blaster is 62. So it's about halfway between a Squiffer and a SSP.

The impact is the same as the Rapid Blaster (35), but the fire rate drops from 40/100 to 30. For reference, the clash blaster is at 65 and the luna is (also) at 30. Blaster is at 20.

Basically, it gains 10 in range and loses 10 in fire rate.

Award

It's weird having two blasters with toxic mist. Personally I've always preferred the big blasters to the rapids, though RBP is always a good time. I'll stick with the vanilla blaster I think. I'm still waiting impatiently for Range Blaster, king of all Blasters (excluding Grizzco Blaster..... ;) )

As long as my weapons are still not meta, I'm happy! :P

Not a hydra and definitely not a bamboozler! 0/10! Figuratively literally unplayably unplayable! Worse weapon evar!!1!

Wonder if the tenta brella release will be part of some update or new map at this rate.

I expect to see a ton of rain this weekend. And maybe some ink storm into blaster fire combos.

I agree with that first post. I just want my hydra and bambi and range blasters back. Who cares about stupid tentabrella. It's stupid! Nobody likes it anyway! Everybody knows that! And RBP is so stupid! It's, like, totes useless! Why can't you give us what we want, Nintendo? Like, Hello? :P

I'm not looking forward to the excessive use of storm and mist this weekend! Already I can feel the Splattershot Pro's dominance fading away into irrelevance. It's like Splatoon 1 all over again. Farewell SSP. We hardly knew ye.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
I'm not looking forward to the excessive use of storm and mist this weekend! Already I can feel the Splattershot Pro's dominance fading away into irrelevance. It's like Splatoon 1 all over again. Farewell SSP. We hardly knew ye.
So after going back to splat 1, using the pro felt...odd. Like as if the fire rate was faster on the gun then we have in splat 2....maybe its just me but I swear the pro feels quicker than it does in 2. Didnt it get a buff update in splat 1 at the end of the updates?

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Oh nice, a unique weapon this time instead of another custom variant!

It's kit seems interesting, it will most defiantly be good in TC and RM due to it being a blaster and having Toxic Mist. Ink Storm will help the weapon out in SZ as well, I'm looking forward to this weapon since I mostly use longer ranged weapons anyway (like the Jet Sqelcher, .96 Gal and Splatlings) and having another one to play around with seems pretty nice.

Hopefully the Hydra or the Tenta Brella will come out next week. ;)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Spaceswitchmars, where or how did you calculate that data? I do appreciate yet I'm also curious on the source of that. I'd like to look up some further data on the other weapons. =)

Already I can feel the Splattershot Pro's dominance fading away into irrelevance. It's like Splatoon 1 all over again. Farewell SSP. We hardly knew ye.
The what was what from what now? =p

Cyan

Inkling Commander
So after going back to splat 1, using the pro felt...odd. Like as if the fire rate was faster on the gun then we have in splat 2....maybe its just me but I swear the pro feels quicker than it does in 2. Didnt it get a buff update in splat 1 at the end of the updates?
upload_2017-9-22_16-36-37.png

That was in 2.7.0, and is the major reason why Splattershot Pro is back to mediocrity once more. This change was revoked in Splatoon 2, so it has the same range and firerate as the pre-buff SSPro in 1 (I believe it also had an ink efficiency buff in 1), so that plus the new maps focusing on close range encounters has pretty much killed the Splattershot Pro (I've heard it's considered one of the worst weapons in Splatoon 2 by the competitive community). It doesn't have anything going for it in this game, the Forge has a nice sub but a horrible special, the vanilla has a decent special but a questionable sub weapon (it does have its uses because of the short range meta to avoid being jumped on) and ultimately only a handful of maps really work well with it. I picked up the vanilla Pro as my first main and loved it, but started using it less and less as time went by and now basically never use it.

Thankfully it introduced me to the power of Ink Storm so I never underestimate unlike many other players I got kills from with it in the first month. With the weapons I've messed with most at the start I've formed an attraction to Ink Storm, Baller and Sting Ray as my go to specials. I find Sting Ray the 2nd most enjoyable special and have managed to perform pretty well with it to the point where it's one of the better specials in my opinion. Baller is the most enjoyable special, but unfortunately it was pretty weak and didn't do much until this buff (I also picked up 52 Gal at the start, followed by L3) in 1.3.0, so I love that weapon, it's an explosive Kraken that only has 1 chance at lethal kills (you can risk running into people twice for a kill). I love Ink Storm for the ease of throwing it and gaining control instantly, allowing you to deal chip damage and push them closer to the important 100.0 damage by firing at them, so it does a good job of pushing people out of key areas and finishing off weakened foes who are hiding as it passes over them. There's a few datamined weapons I'm looking forward too like the Slosher Deco, Neo Splash and Rapid Blaster Pro due to being promising weapons with nice kits (won't spoil those though) and should bring me back to playing more regularly once we have them and about an extra 2-3 maps.

EDIT:

@Spaceswitchmars, where or how did you calculate that data? I do appreciate yet I'm also curious on the source of that. I'd like to look up some further data on the other weapons. =)
Chances are this came from the datamined weapons page, as it lists weapon kits and their 3 stats depending on weapon type. So as long as you know where to find that (won't post it here out of respect for others not wanting to know) you can look up and compare weapon ranges.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Chances are this came from the datamined weapons page, as it lists weapon kits and their 3 stats depending on weapon type. So as long as you know where to find that (won't post it here out of respect for others not wanting to know) you can look up and compare weapon ranges.
@Ansible Yup, this is exactly where I got it. Wouldn't want to post any spoilers or anything here, but I didn't feel too bad just pulling the stats.

One additional thing about the RBP is that I think it finally makes thermal ink a really good main. I mean, we'll see, but a range above 70 is when thermal ink starts to actually, you know... work. Coupling that with a blaster is perfect. Coupling that with toxic mist and ink storm is perfectly perfect. I'm not sure if I've seen a BETTER kit for a weapon in this entire game. Maybe equal kits but not better.

EDIT: If you DM me, I can send you the link. If you don't want to be spoiled, you can also just DM me what stats you want compared, and I'll send them your way.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I am very much looking forward to giving the new and improved Rapid Blaster Pro a whirl. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I enjoy making people's faces explode when I'm not anywhere near them :p It's too early to tell what position this weapon will take in the meta, but thanks to the buffs all blasters have received it will no doubt be a genuine threat regardless. Things are going to get real interesting in the League!
One additional thing about the RBP is that I think it finally makes thermal ink a really good main. I mean, we'll see, but a range above 70 is when thermal ink starts to actually, you know... work. Coupling that with a blaster is perfect. Coupling that with toxic mist and ink storm is perfectly perfect. I'm not sure if I've seen a BETTER kit for a weapon in this entire game. Maybe equal kits but not better.
Someone can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure Thermal Ink doesn't work with indirect hits from blaster shots, which is an utter shame. I do hope that gets patched, because you are absolutely right on the utility involved.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I am very much looking forward to giving the new and improved Rapid Blaster Pro a whirl. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I enjoy making people's faces explode when I'm not anywhere near them :p It's too early to tell what position this weapon will take in the meta, but thanks to the buffs all blasters have received it will no doubt be a genuine threat regardless. Things are going to get real interesting in the League!

Someone can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure Thermal Ink doesn't work with indirect hits from blaster shots, which is an utter shame. I do hope that gets patched, because you are absolutely right on the utility involved.
I keep forgetting this fact because: 1. I've only used thermal on the jet squelcher. 2. It's just so stupid.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
@Ansible Yup, this is exactly where I got it. Wouldn't want to post any spoilers or anything here, but I didn't feel too bad just pulling the stats.

EDIT: If you DM me, I can send you the link. If you don't want to be spoiled, you can also just DM me what stats you want compared, and I'll send them your way.
So what you're saying is, my 1 page collection of thermal ink shirts are finally of use? Hehe...I knew this day would come.

Award

I forgot about that. I'd learned the Pro and learned to like it before the buff and didn't play it much after the Berry Buff. So the Pro in 2 feels like the normal pro to me. But it was hated in S1 in favor of the Gals.

Is it me or do the Gals feel terribad now? I get embarrassed when I'm splatted by one. I can die 12 times to OP aerosprays and not care but if I die once to a Gal I feel like a failure :)

View attachment 5583

That was in 2.7.0, and is the major reason why Splattershot Pro is back to mediocrity once more. This change was revoked in Splatoon 2, so it has the same range and firerate as the pre-buff SSPro in 1 (I believe it also had an ink efficiency buff in 1), so that plus the new maps focusing on close range encounters has pretty much killed the Splattershot Pro (I've heard it's considered one of the worst weapons in Splatoon 2 by the competitive community). It doesn't have anything going for it in this game, the Forge has a nice sub but a horrible special, the vanilla has a decent special but a questionable sub weapon (it does have its uses because of the short range meta to avoid being jumped on) and ultimately only a handful of maps really work well with it. I picked up the vanilla Pro as my first main and loved it, but started using it less and less as time went by and now basically never use it.

Thankfully it introduced me to the power of Ink Storm so I never underestimate unlike many other players I got kills from with it in the first month. With the weapons I've messed with most at the start I've formed an attraction to Ink Storm, Baller and Sting Ray as my go to specials. I find Sting Ray the 2nd most enjoyable special and have managed to perform pretty well with it to the point where it's one of the better specials in my opinion. Baller is the most enjoyable special, but unfortunately it was pretty weak and didn't do much until this buff (I also picked up 52 Gal at the start, followed by L3) in 1.3.0, so I love that weapon, it's an explosive Kraken that only has 1 chance at lethal kills (you can risk running into people twice for a kill). I love Ink Storm for the ease of throwing it and gaining control instantly, allowing you to deal chip damage and push them closer to the important 100.0 damage by firing at them, so it does a good job of pushing people out of key areas and finishing off weakened foes who are hiding as it passes over them. There's a few datamined weapons I'm looking forward too like the Slosher Deco, Neo Splash and Rapid Blaster Pro due to being promising weapons with nice kits (won't spoil those though) and should bring me back to playing more regularly once we have them and about an extra 2-3 maps.

EDIT:

So sad Pro still doesn't get its time in the sun. It felt so neglected during Splatoon 1's heyday, and it's really too nice of a wep for that. If RB weren't a thing, Pro would be more loved. Are bubbles really that horrible a special? Something tells me in a patch or two we'll be cursing them out...the'll pick up RM shield blast radius or some such grotesque OP feature :)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I forgot about that. I'd learned the Pro and learned to like it before the buff and didn't play it much after the Berry Buff. So the Pro in 2 feels like the normal pro to me. But it was hated in S1 in favor of the Gals.

Is it me or do the Gals feel terribad now? I get embarrassed when I'm splatted by one. I can die 12 times to OP aerosprays and not care but if I die once to a Gal I feel like a failure :)

So sad Pro still doesn't get its time in the sun. It felt so neglected during Splatoon 1's heyday, and it's really too nice of a wep for that. If RB weren't a thing, Pro would be more loved. Are bubbles really that horrible a special? Something tells me in a patch or two we'll be cursing them out...the'll pick up RM shield blast radius or some such grotesque OP feature :)
I think the SSP will stick around. Its range is already similar to the rapid blaster, so I'm not sure if I see the RBP replacing it. When I use it, it's to have a ranged friend with more turfing power than a blaster and more killing power than the jet. Of course, I'm wrong A LOT in life, so don't hold me to any of this.

As for the gals....

I have unrealistically high expectations for the Glooga Dualies, which seem to be the love child of a gal and dualie. Especially the deco because that splash wall/baller kit is nice.

the

Inkling Commander

The 52 gal doesn't feel too bad for me, but I had major buyer's regret with the 96 gal after I discovered how hard it is to accurately hit someone at your maximum effective range. It's a shame, because I really like its kit but can't defend myself well with it... Same problem I have with the flingza :p

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
At the risk of spamming the thread (I'm just excited/I actually have the answers), The Jet's range is 82/100. Splat Charger is 88. Goo Tube is 78. Splatling is 78. Squiffer is 75. RB Pro is 72. SSP is 70. Rapid Blaster is 62. So it's about halfway between a Squiffer and a SSP.

The impact is the same as the Rapid Blaster (35), but the fire rate drops from 40/100 to 30. For reference, the clash blaster is at 65 and the luna is (also) at 30. Blaster is at 20.

Basically, it gains 10 in range and loses 10 in fire rate.
The range numbers the game provides are still misleading it seems. The RB has more range than SSP, and the RBP has roughly the same range as Jet Squelcher/Bamboozler, meaning it outranges the Squiffer. The testing room is best way to see actual ranges, though since it's not yet out I'm going off the very likely assumption that the RBP has the same range as it did in Splatoon 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom