• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Seems hardly anyone is using the RB Pro tonight. Such a pity.

Meanwhile it's amusing me more than the standard RB. I can pull up a lawn chair, lean back with a drink, and pop pop away at everyone that isn't a squiffer range and above.

"Aha, I see you didn't think this blaster could hit you from here! Nope nope, you can stay all the way back over there while I blast you, friend. Oh, I see this one likes to charge straight ahead, by all means, save me the trouble of aiming."

Building up that ink storm feels reaaally slow, but being such a long-range annoyance seems to make up for it. Almost makes me wish victims could hear the shattering sound of a direct hit, so they know how much trouble they're in. >=D

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Probably not the best place to ask, but hey, the gear exchange threads are dead and this one isn't :P

Does anyone have the Punk Blacks with Special Power Up, from Annie's shop? I'm looking for these. Thanks for your time!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Seems hardly anyone is using the RB Pro tonight. Such a pity.

Meanwhile it's amusing me more than the standard RB. I can pull up a lawn chair, lean back with a drink, and pop pop away at everyone that isn't a squiffer range and above.

"Aha, I see you didn't think this blaster could hit you from here! Nope nope, you can stay all the way back over there while I blast you, friend. Oh, I see this one likes to charge straight ahead, by all means, save me the trouble of aiming."

Building up that ink storm feels reaaally slow, but being such a long-range annoyance seems to make up for it. Almost makes me wish victims could hear the shattering sound of a direct hit, so they know how much trouble they're in. >=D
It's umm... It's overpowered... But when I hopped on this morning, I was the only one using it, so I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't notice.

I think the nerf they should probably add to this is upping the main ink consumption a tad and raising the time to get the ink storm even more.

Of course, I only played against randos in turf wars. There IS a good chance that once I hit ranked, good players will be much better at getting inside the RBP's optimal range. At that point, my OP assertion might be torn to shreds. So maybe I'm calling it OP early... it just feels so OP from the games I played with it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
It's umm... It's overpowered... But when I hopped on this morning, I was the only one using it, so I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't notice.

I think the nerf they should probably add to this is upping the main ink consumption a tad and raising the time to get the ink storm even more.

Of course, I only played against randos in turf wars. There IS a good chance that once I hit ranked, good players will be much better at getting inside the RBP's optimal range. At that point, my OP assertion might be torn to shreds. So maybe I'm calling it OP early... it just feels so OP from the games I played with it.
From my games in ranked with the RBP it is actually a lot harder to use than I first thought, you need to either have precise aim or be able to read players movements.
However in both cases I was also dealing with a disadvantage in control mainly due to both me and my team lacking the turfing power.

Having turf control this weapon is great at suppression and combined with a good team can hold players off the point for long periods of time. As long as the team doesn't push too heavily away from the objective.

In terms of counters the carbon fully counters the RBP mainly due to having the speed, autobombs, and a counter inkstorms.
Ran into quite a few of these and sploosho'matics both of which were very dangerous to a weapon that lacks any close range attacks.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Probably not the best place to ask, but hey, the gear exchange threads are dead and this one isn't :p

Does anyone have the Punk Blacks with Special Power Up, from Annie's shop? I'm looking for these. Thanks for your time!
This thread will never die.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
From my games in ranked with the RBP it is actually a lot harder to use than I first thought, you need to either have precise aim or be able to read players movements.
However in both cases I was also dealing with a disadvantage in control mainly due to both me and my team lacking the turfing power.

Having turf control this weapon is great at suppression and combined with a good team can hold players off the point for long periods of time. As long as the team doesn't push too heavily away from the objective.

In terms of counters the carbon fully counters the RBP mainly due to having the speed, autobombs, and a counter inkstorms.
Ran into quite a few of these and sploosho'matics both of which were very dangerous to a weapon that lacks any close range attacks.
Yeah, that's kinda what my thought was. I'm interested in trying it out in league/ranked where the quality of my opponents will be better. I think the weakness of the RB will only be compounded in the RBP (though, the trade off is that the strengths I enjoy in the RB are even stronger with the RBP).

I found I didn't miss the 10 point loss in fire rate because I rarely shot consecutive shots with the RB anyway. Really, the only difference I've noticed is that it's harder to keep opponents at range when the range is longer. But like you said, that difference isn't insignificant.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Yeah, that's kinda what my thought was. I'm interested in trying it out in league/ranked where the quality of my opponents will be better. I think the weakness of the RB will only be compounded in the RBP (though, the trade off is that the strengths I enjoy in the RB are even stronger with the RBP).

I found I didn't miss the 10 point loss in fire rate because I rarely shot consecutive shots with the RB anyway. Really, the only difference I've noticed is that it's harder to keep opponents at range when the range is longer. But like you said, that difference isn't insignificant.
What I want to try is get a crayola destroyer, a BRO, a custom blaster, and a Luna/ rapid on a team in league and see how effective that is.
Cause technically you got it all, coverage, ranged support, offensive, and objective based weapons that just so happen to all fall under both the close range meta and the blaster class:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Either way I think it might be a blast:D

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hmmm...that Rapid Blaster Pro is not for me. The little bit of range it adds is not worth the cost of the decreased fire range, and I'm not digging the sub/special either (even though Ink Storm is probably my fav special right now). Keeping the Rapid Blaster not-pro in regular rotation it seems.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep, the targeting for its accuracy is tiny, but once you jump that accuracy box greatly expands with your shots going way off. It's kinda like a charger style blaster somewhat.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Awww yeah I forgot how much I liked the RBP. I play it just like the Jet Squelcher with addition of hitting people around corners. I think my direct-hit game has gotten better since learning chargers too.

Feels OP to me! Maybe it just perfectly fits my play style but I can wipe the floor with it.

Lyn

Premium
Said it in another thread, but figured it might be more relevant here.

Confused by the seemingly low popularity of the RBP.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
So the RB Pro has been released instead of the Tenta Brella?
Thanks for releasing my 2nd least favourite weapon before the Hydra Ninty. At least I don't feel so guilty for missing a weapon update due to Mario + Rabbids.

Speaking of blasters, anyone got any advice on how to use the Clash Blaster? I was trying make it work before I ended up taking a break from the game (so I don't get burnt out, I'm not making the same mistake I did with the first game). It would be nice to give it another shot when I come back to the game.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Clash Blaster's in a weird spot. It's not the greatest weapon. It's fire rate is great, but it lacks in every other aspect. Even with it's inking increased, it still doesn't paint well with consistent solid lines. Range is poor, damage is poor, for the moment I'd recommend trying something else so you don't get frustrated.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yep, the targeting for its accuracy is tiny, but once you jump that accuracy box greatly expands with your shots going way off. It's kinda like a charger style blaster somewhat.
This is exactly how I use it, and I LOVE it for that.

The Clash Blaster's in a weird spot. It's not the greatest weapon. It's fire rate is great, but it lacks in every other aspect. Even with it's inking increased, it still doesn't paint well with consistent solid lines. Range is poor, damage is poor, for the moment I'd recommend trying something else so you don't get frustrated.
It needs to ink just a little better still, and then it will be perfect. I love the clash blaster, and it has its roles, but to be effective with it, I often rely on a level of junkyard trickery that would be easy for opponents to figure out once they play me more than a few times.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
The Clash blaster has certainly got the guts of an aerospray, it's fire rate is the fastest but it's low impact and range don't make it that efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

Award

Must be why I've always liked RBP....but then I never use it because I realize I should just use a charger :p

So the RB Pro has been released instead of the Tenta Brella?
Thanks for releasing my 2nd least favourite weapon before the Hydra Ninty. At least I don't feel so guilty for missing a weapon update due to Mario + Rabbids.

Speaking of blasters, anyone got any advice on how to use the Clash Blaster? I was trying make it work before I ended up taking a break from the game (so I don't get burnt out, I'm not making the same mistake I did with the first game). It would be nice to give it another shot when I come back to the game.
I have yet to open my shrink rapped Rabbids because Splatoon. :p Clash advice? Point & shoot? (and hope they don't point and shoot before the third shot?) :p

@Saber @Lonely_Dolphin I was doing some comparison of dapple duelies vs. sploosh. I tried them a while back thinking "aww yeah, better sploosh!" but in actual play...it just doesn't feel like it plays the same. Was doing some testing with someone and the results were clear. Range is better, rate of fire is the same in normal, and much better in dodge stance on the dapples. And yet, when I play them, I don't feel they can really play the same as a sploosh, even though on paper there really isn't a reason for them to. You two are my go-tos for weapon analysis, what are your thoughts? :)

@Saber You know, I'm actually starting to LIKE the flingza roller......I'm not sure what it means when flingza and tuber, the two most hated weapons in the game are becoming my two favorites.... Tuber's actually really good IMO, but it has such a different playstyle than anything else (and just happens to fit the play-style that I wrongly try to use other weapons with....and is supported by a superb kit.) But flingza. On paper it should be great. On practice the vertical flick ruins it. But I'm starting to get more used to it. Not to say to doesn't need a buff or two on the vert. But...I used it a lot this weekend, and am getting more used to not thinking of it as a krak-on, using the vertical purely for inking and pressuring (and yeah, splatting those foolish enough to stand above me on the grates on kelp and the chargers on nearby perches that think they're safe from what looks like a carbon roller below them... :p ), and play the main roller as a straight carbon (with slight better range) It WOULD be useless but the rapid charge to a splat bomb rush is a godly skill.....especially for zones. Granted, I was losing most rounds in zones I played :p But I wasn't playing badly, and I don't think the weapon was at all involved in the loss (and played a key role in taking control of the zones multiple times.) It's kind of the eliter of rollers. You'll miss 80% of your shots, but you ink a LOT. And since I like to play with turf control as my primary focus these days and keeping the traffic lanes open (or closed) as needed....the ability to track out long lines in vertical, while going carbon-melee killer back and forth on a whim is an inkredible trick. "I'm a dynamo splashing ink! I'm a dynamo splashing ink! Oh no you don't *thwonkthwonk*" Maybe it's a roller you play like a cross between charger and brush.....kind of like tuber is a charger you play like a cross of charger and brush.....maybe that's why they both appeal to me who used to main chargers and brushes (and sploosh which is the shooter you play like a brush... :p )

The only catch is NEITHER weapon allow you to carry a team. So for solo, they're kind of iffy. You can be the dominant one on your team at key moments with either, but you cant maintain that role, so you can't fully carry, but you can surely anchor a good push, or lead the disruption to begin one. Team dependent for sure. But as an old eliter main.....I'm kind of used to that... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom