• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I have been playing H-3 and bambi lately an d I wss reintroduced to the beauty of thermal ink, it is so good on burst weapons since it allows you to quickly follow up from another angle or to simply style on your enemies with some really silly shots.
Especially the H-3 cause beteeen thermal ink, point sensor and tentamissles no one is ever unseen if you play it right

Now I am excited for the Squeezer with thermal ink and semi-auto burst fire... no one will escape the trick shots:cool:
Word. No idea how that gun is going to play, but I'm extremely excited to try it out.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
*catfight noises*

And how long is it gonna take you to charge that swimming nightlight? Oh do tell!

Even uninterrupted will your pump action charger be ready by the time I've finished squid partying circles around you, microwave and a pizza, take a catnap, check the match timer, then take my short time with two fully charged shots? :p
You won't see me charging. Because I'll be strategically and courageously cowering behind a wall while I wait. And then I'll be all glowy and stuff and you won't!

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Wait, this description of Thermal Ink and Haunt is exactly the opposite of what the earlier translations were saying. They said that the minimum effective distance was being reduced, but this says it's being increased. I hope it's the former, those abilities weren't exactly popular as they were.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Okay, so there's a lot to discuss in this patch. Obviously I adore the buffs to the .96 Gal and Splattershot Pro, but my absolute favorite is the buff the Dualie Squelchers got! Now the DS can perform a slide after a dodge roll - if they're firing they move at that run speed, and at normal run speed if they don't fire. This means the DS is the only dualies that can dodge roll and NEVER STOP MOVING, talk about an enormous mobility boost! I gotta use these more now :D

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Okay, so there's a lot to discuss in this patch. Obviously I adore the buffs to the .96 Gal and Splattershot Pro, but my absolute favorite is the buff the Dualie Squelchers got! Now the DS can perform a slide after a dodge roll - if they're firing they move at that run speed, and at normal run speed if they don't fire. This means the DS is the only dualies that can dodge roll and NEVER STOP MOVING, talk about an enormous mobility boost! I gotta use these more now :D
Splat Brella OP. Shield opens so fast that the Carbon Brella scares me.
Mini Splatling OP. Reminds me of the Zink Mini from Splatoon 1 with all run speeds.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
My goodness the duelie squelcher are just so good now, I am really happy they gave it a buff,
Still feel the tentabrella still needs a little rounding out but it feels a little more whole noe so I'll get what I can take.
Plus the clash able to actually cover tons of turf :scared:
but the one I am most excited for was the goo tuber and it was just what I theorized.

The goo tuber is now officially the first charger that can Rajin step up to or away from an enemy, the charger slide is real and it is truly terrifying.:cool:
Also it at makes tapshots a lot quicker towards securing kills

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Plus the clash able to actually cover tons of turf
Don’t mess with me. I’m coming home from a show and have been dreaming about clash blasting with coverage. Someone tell me if it doesn’t suck now.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Don’t mess with me. I’m coming home from a show and have been dreaming about clash blasting with coverage. Someone tell me if it doesn’t suck now.
BTW the Clash Blaster's blast radius is bigger than the Luna's (I think).

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Well... uh...
Kermit_freakout_Elmo_loud_quiet.gif

*calms down*

There's just so much to go on about! Everyone's gonna have to up their dodging game!

In fact with that H-3 bullet speed buff maybe you can actually hit moving targets now. =p The speed and partial charges of that GooTuber... don't you dare tell Award that I wanna try it out now! It's almost as sweet as the bamboozler's buff charged speed to weave in and out of danger and track targets. And finally vertical roller swings ink your feet instead of having to make a second, horizontal swing to cover your feet! And v-swinging the Flingza is now quicker than waiting for your takeout order.

And the decrease in the dodge rolls for all the dualies allow them to dodge roll almost continuously. That can be troublesome. Especially with the dualie squelchers being able to scoot after a roll. Oh~ and I'm ecstatic about those brella buffs! Not only can I better put up a fight, defend, and close in, but you can do a blaster bunny hop into immediate shield for a 1~2 knockout! The tenta brella may also be worth me actually using not that they've decreased the lag animation. You can even dolphin in and out of ink when you bunnyhop with it.

Ugh, so much to play with, and something something drop roller works lol.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
BTW the Clash Blaster's blast radius is bigger than the Luna's (I think).
Just tried it for a few sets. It’s dope. I’m prolly going to use it in rainmaker quite a bit. That’s the one mode where I’ve been sort of eh on using my rapid pro.

But yeah, it finally feels like the rapid meets luna meets aero weapon I imagined when I saw it in the trailer many aeons ago.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Thermal abilitys minimum distance is now around 2.5 lines, making the Thermal Ink main ability useful for more weapons, namely mah Slosher, but eh I'm still not keen on it. The ability is still pretty situational, and my Slosher build is pretty set in stone, but I'll force it in to atleast try it out. Will definitely use it on the Custom Jet Squelcher whenever that releases though for that Stingray synergy!

Splat Brella feels so good now! Now that the Brella shield comes out faster than firing another shot, shoot -> shield -> shoot -> shield is far more viable, and holding it open until it launches is actually viable against shooter weapons. Shoot-shield is also the fastest way to splat enemys at point blank range. Tenta Brella while certainly better is still really slow, namely at opening the shield. The damage is better, can now 1-shot from 2 lines away, but it's still very inconsistent at range.

The Aerospray now turfs the same as a Splattershot Jr. if not worse, thus removing it's only niche. This was pretty silly and unnecessary nerf imo, especially when actual OP weapons like Splattershot remain untouched. I can forgive them as they finally gave the Goo Tuber a niche, however the Flingza's verticals are still too slow and too weak. It can be one or the other but not both me thinks. Clash Blaster buffs are great though.

I could go on but overall it's a great patch! Should be able to tear me away from Stardew Valley for a time hehe.

Last edited:

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
This patch is looking mighty fine, unfortunately I won't be getting a chance to play until the weekend so I'll be looking forward the new buffs to my favourite weapons, especially the Mini Splatling and SSPro.
Now the DS can perform a slide after a dodge roll - if they're firing they move at that run speed, and at normal run speed if they don't fire. This means the DS is the only dualies that can dodge roll and NEVER STOP MOVING, talk about an enormous mobility boost!
Still, I can't help but be very mad at the DS buff. I already had difficulty trying to get a solid kill on the them (I'm always one hit away from a splat until they roll away like the slimy cowards they all are), but now that they have the potential to never have to stop moving, I fear trying to splat them with short ranged weapons is a lost cause.

Back to the drawing board for new strategies, methinks.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
+iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
This patch is looking mighty fine, unfortunately I won't be getting a chance to play until the weekend so I'll be looking forward the new buffs to my favourite weapons, especially the Mini Splatling and SSPro.

Still, I can't help but be very mad at the DS buff. I already had difficulty trying to get a solid kill on the them (I'm always one hit away from a splat until they roll away like the slimy cowards they all are), but now that they have the potential to never have to stop moving, I fear trying to splat them with short ranged weapons is a lost cause.

Back to the drawing board for new strategies, methinks.
Actually rollers are a really solid counter to the DS due to their wide hitboxes, and vert. flick buff I died to them over any other weapon when using the DS yeesterday, the .96 also seems to be a solid counter due to the slight rng working in favor or this slip n sliding target

Award

Darn all you people who actually got to try the patch already! I thought it was coming out on Friday! Reading all you guys playing with it is making me pretty envious. Server was still down for maintenance at the end of the night for me :( Is it quitting time yet?

Thermal abilitys minimum distance is now around 2.5 lines, making the Thermal Ink main ability useful for more weapons, namely mah Slosher, but eh I'm still not keen on it. The ability is still pretty situational, and my Slosher build is pretty set in stone, but I'll force it in to atleast try it out. Will definitely use it on the Custom Jet Squelcher whenever that releases though for that Stingray synergy!

Splat Brella feels so good now! Now that the Brella shield comes out faster than firing another shot, shoot -> shield -> shoot -> shield is far more viable, and holding it open until it launches is actually viable against shooter weapons. Shoot-shield is also the fastest way to splat enemys at point blank range. Tenta Brella while certainly better is still really slow, namely at opening the shield. The damage is better, can now 1-shot from 2 lines away, but it's still very inconsistent at range.

The Aerospray now turfs the same as a Splattershot Jr. if not worse, thus removing it's only niche. This was pretty silly and unnecessary nerf imo, especially when actual OP weapons like Splattershot remain untouched. I can forgive them as they finally gave the Goo Tuber a niche, however the Flingza's verticals are still too slow and too weak. It can be one or the other but not both me thinks. Clash Blaster buffs are great though.

I could go on but overall it's a great patch! Should be able to tear me away from Stardew Valley for a time hehe.
I was playing with thermal ink yesterday for the first time since July since @Saber seemed really high on it. Was having a GREAT tuber night pre-patch....but I don't think it had anything to do with the thermal ink. Still seems pretty lame....it doesn't seem like the patch will help it much. All the abilities but mobility, special charge/dmg/ ink saver/recovery and ink resist still seem mostly ignorable.

Hmm, I'll have to try splat brella again, you and ansi seem so high on it now.

I think.....Aerospray, like dynamo (I remember you disagreeing with S1 dynamo so I'm going to say you just don't deal with laggy players nearly as often as some of us do!) has always been lag, not ink. They needed to address aerospray, but I think they addressed it the wrong way. It's ability to ink didn't need to be changed even slightly. It was fine, that was what it did. The issues it had was it charged its specials WAY too fast allowing continuous spam....the special points should have been increased, not the inking reduced, But the bigger problem was it seemed to be the weapon, other than splattershot, most affected by "insta-gib from outside it's firing range". I was killed by aeros more often than any other weapon, not because it's so powerful, but because my opponent was firing at a 45 degree angle away from me from the other side of a cliff and managed to kill me almost instantly. Often. It has a problem with however it measures projectiles from however many it shoots more than most other weapons. Reducing its turfing doesn't fix the real problem at all....it just makes it drop from play, which is sad :( Aerospray is the new eliter/dynamo: Scapegoat of game problems. At times it makes me believe they don't actually understand the data they're reading and thus don't understand actual problems. Much as I hate baller spam, I think they went into overkill on how easy it is to destroy them now. Chargers, blasters, and rollers had issues with them but nothing else did. Still it's a net win on the patch.

Flingza: Hey it wasn't half bad before the patch once I got used to it contrary to popular opinion. Any speed up of the verticals is a huge bonus, and better range/reliability of horizontal is huge. The verticals weren't really weak if you're not trying to kill at long range. Once I stopped trying to play it as a dynamo and played to its strengths, that range issue hasn't bothered me at all. It's become my go-to SZ weapon, replacing sploosh by and large. It would have been nice to receive a tuber-style conversion to god-tier, but I'll take what it has...it's a worthy update for one of my main mains :)

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the dodge rollbuffs. They were already powerful. They're going to be a SEVERE problem for any weapon requiring accuracy now. Tuber can handle it a little better, but I fear tuber and bambi will become ZR spam games for duelies and the longer chargers will become even more obsolete than they already were.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Darn all you people who actually got to try the patch already! I thought it was coming out on Friday! Reading all you guys playing with it is making me pretty envious. Server was still down for maintenance at the end of the night for me :( Is it quitting time yet?

I was playing with thermal ink yesterday for the first time since July since @Saber seemed really high on it. Was having a GREAT tuber night pre-patch....but I don't think it had anything to do with the thermal ink. Still seems pretty lame....it doesn't seem like the patch will help it much. All the abilities but mobility, special charge/dmg/ ink saver/recovery and ink resist still seem mostly ignorable.

Hmm, I'll have to try splat brella again, you and ansi seem so high on it now.

I think.....Aerospray, like dynamo (I remember you disagreeing with S1 dynamo so I'm going to say you just don't deal with laggy players nearly as often as some of us do!) has always been lag, not ink. They needed to address aerospray, but I think they addressed it the wrong way. It's ability to ink didn't need to be changed even slightly. It was fine, that was what it did. The issues it had was it charged its specials WAY too fast allowing continuous spam....the special points should have been increased, not the inking reduced, But the bigger problem was it seemed to be the weapon, other than splattershot, most affected by "insta-gib from outside it's firing range". I was killed by aeros more often than any other weapon, not because it's so powerful, but because my opponent was firing at a 45 degree angle away from me from the other side of a cliff and managed to kill me almost instantly. Often. It has a problem with however it measures projectiles from however many it shoots more than most other weapons. Reducing its turfing doesn't fix the real problem at all....it just makes it drop from play, which is sad :( Aerospray is the new eliter/dynamo: Scapegoat of game problems. At times it makes me believe they don't actually understand the data they're reading and thus don't understand actual problems. Much as I hate baller spam, I think they went into overkill on how easy it is to destroy them now. Chargers, blasters, and rollers had issues with them but nothing else did. Still it's a net win on the patch.

Flingza: Hey it wasn't half bad before the patch once I got used to it contrary to popular opinion. Any speed up of the verticals is a huge bonus, and better range/reliability of horizontal is huge. The verticals weren't really weak if you're not trying to kill at long range. Once I stopped trying to play it as a dynamo and played to its strengths, that range issue hasn't bothered me at all. It's become my go-to SZ weapon, replacing sploosh by and large. It would have been nice to receive a tuber-style conversion to god-tier, but I'll take what it has...it's a worthy update for one of my main mains :)

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the dodge rollbuffs. They were already powerful. They're going to be a SEVERE problem for any weapon requiring accuracy now. Tuber can handle it a little better, but I fear tuber and bambi will become ZR spam games for duelies and the longer chargers will become even more obsolete than they already were.
What are the actual problems? From what I've seen, everyone complains about how great the Aero is in Turf War and it's Baller Spam. With this patch Nintendo addressed both these complaints. Reducing Aero's turf spread means it's less effective in Turf War and it's gonna take longer to charge it's special, and the Baller nerfs mean relying on the special alone isn't as effective and Special Power Up is highly recommended thus less space for Special Charge/Saver.

I don't remember what our discussion was with the Dynamo, but lag doesn't benefit the Aerospray more than any other shooter. With or without lag, it'll still have less range, damage, and accuracy than most other shooters. There isn't some sort of weapon specific lag, there's just the game's inherent lag which Nintendo kinda addressed with regional matchmaking, and player specific lag which Nintendo can't do anything about. Basically they physically can't fix "Aero Lag" if that's what you were hoping for. And make no mistake, I've seen my fair share telporting players and Inklings with 300HP. :L

Award

What are the actual problems? From what I've seen, everyone complains about how great the Aero is in Turf War and it's Baller Spam. With this patch Nintendo addressed both these complaints. Reducing Aero's turf spread means it's less effective in Turf War and it's gonna take longer to charge it's special, and the Baller nerfs mean relying on the special alone isn't as effective and Special Power Up is highly recommended thus less space for Special Charge/Saver.

I don't remember what our discussion was with the Dynamo, but lag doesn't benefit the Aerospray more than any other shooter. With or without lag, it'll still have less range, damage, and accuracy than most other shooters. There isn't some sort of weapon specific lag, there's just the game's inherent lag which Nintendo kinda addressed with regional matchmaking, and player specific lag which Nintendo can't do anything about. Basically they physically can't fix "Aero Lag" if that's what you were hoping for. And make no mistake, I've seen my fair share telporting players and Inklings with 300HP. :L
LOL, yeah, the teleportations don't seem as common as S1, but I've certainly seen them (I love seeing the same squid jump from the same cliff 3 times still....or the ones that jump down, vanish, and are somewhere else.) Have you seen the "player vanishes in a puff of smoke, but didn't dc?" I've been seeing that pretty often. Best I can figure out is the auto-predict lost updates from them, tried to guess where they were, got it totally wrong and/or they got killed somewhere else, and that's how it "resets" their position. I couldn't figure it out until one game I splatted someone and the kill tag never appeared at all. They physically splatted, but nobody was credited. Later I saw the same player vanish in a smoke puff (but they hadn't DC'd). I figured out that the predictive system is actually moving them in full-AI mode at times....and where they are isn't where they are, and that's a reset when it finally realizes where they are. (Which is an interesting scary thought....how often are we playing AI's or at least player ghosts at times? I'm sure it doesn't happen for too long a time before it DC's them, but that it happens at all is a little disturbing. Maybe it prevents them from attacking, and just shows them running/evading, but still.)

BUT aero has seemed to be the official weapon of choice for laggers. It's definitely been the most dominant killer in most lobbies I've seen second only to splattershot (it's own lag machine, of course...). It could be that aero is just such an amazing killer, but we both know that's not true. Lag is the remaining denominator. I think the aero thing is a lot like the luna and dynamo appeal: With lag you don't really have to be aiming at the right place to get the kills. And because of it's broad spray pattern there's more chance of "accidentally" getting the kill particularly if lagging compared to more accurate shooters. (96 probably as the same "perk" but not as fast.) Playing tuber primarily I'm probably more keenly aware of ranges. In a 1:1 fair fight, I shouldn't be getting ripped by aeros. But if I'm at the edge of my range, an aero shouldn't be able to get be before I can even aim squarely.....but they often do. Maybe it happens with other weps similarly, but the range in play is a little more believable with most shooters than anything outside sploosh range with an aerospray.

The trouble is with its ink efficiency (it's still efficient), and it's ability to special spam (fixed for baller, but possibly not for launcher since they REDUCED the required points!...maybe even made worse) that "spray everywhere non-stop, get kills" appeal for laggers will remain unchanged. They can't fix the sloppy netcode, but they can fix the parameters that makes certain weapons obviously bad interactions with lag. In this case I think the inaccuracy is the issue. Range/droplet spread would have been parameters to adjust to change that. They missed the mark on this one.

It will "fix" it only in that now everyone is going to hear how "bad" aero is again and it will become a meme and people will stop playing it because "they hear on the internet they shouldn't play it." I don't want to see aero vanish, I actually loved it in S1. Hated that it wasn't viable in ranked. But it was also controlling the meta in S2, and making splatfests miserable.

That said I still feel bad for baller players. It was bad, then it was good, it wasn't OP except for aero that could ridiculously spam them. Chargers and blasters (and rollers) DID need a better way to handle them but the "free object shredder to most weapons against baller" fix seems pretty overkill coupled with the baller radius nerf. Baller might be the new old stingray going forward :P I haven't been playing it after shifting my roller play to flingza, but I'm glad I'm not....that's an unpleasant change.

Everything else in the patch is awesome though! I didn't get to try everything. I'm still worried about the dodge rolls from the little bit I played with them. That's a really annoying ability and it's present on a lot of weapons. But the tuber buffs are everything I could have hoped for, flingza IMO feels really good now. The vert speed improvement isn't as much as some hoped but it's decent, it handles a lot better now, and forward flicks are great. Bambi doesn't feel too different to me with the run speed. Inkbrush....nobody has commented on inkbrush...the range increase is quite noticible....not getting caught on enemy ink while rolling is what it desperately needed in S1 and never got. Inkbrush is really interesting now. The splat brella definitely is improved.....Personally I still can't get a meaningful rhythm from playing it....I want to love it but I just can't manage to figure out how to use it in a given situation better than something else. Tentabrella still feels pretty meh to me. It's better, but still doesn't really give me an interest in it.

I do fear tuber will become meta still. Played a TW lobby on a team of 3 tubers and a Jr. We won. :P When was the last time you saw a team of 3 tubers?!

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Well it's Thursday so shall we fire up the "guess which weapon is coming out (except it won't)" game? Hydra and Range Blaster are the last of the original Splatoon 1 weapons to return, but as the Bamboozler was the last released weapon I think we'll probably see a variant or (extremely unlikely) one of the new weapons not yet out. I'm going to pin the new weapon as either Slosher Deco (I hope so) or the Tri-Slosher Nouveau as we haven't had a Slosher added since the Machine in August (technically unlikely as we only know of 3 unreleased Sloshers, all being reskins), and as a stretch I'll throw in N-ZAP 89, L3 Nozzlenose D and the 52 Deco as a potential shooter to join the group. I really have no clue and just spouting nonsense at this point, but we'll see soon what we'll get next. I just wish we'd get those Tetra Dualies, I'm dying to get my hands on them :p

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Well it's Thursday so shall we fire up the "guess which weapon is coming out (except it won't)" game? Hydra and Range Blaster are the last of the original Splatoon 1 weapons to return, but as the Bamboozler was the last released weapon I think we'll probably see a variant or (extremely unlikely) one of the new weapons not yet out. I'm going to pin the new weapon as either Slosher Deco (I hope so) or the Tri-Slosher Nouveau as we haven't had a Slosher added since the Machine in August (technically unlikely as we only know of 3 unreleased Sloshers, all being reskins), and as a stretch I'll throw in N-ZAP 89, L3 Nozzlenose D and the 52 Deco as a potential shooter to join the group. I really have no clue and just spouting nonsense at this point, but we'll see soon what we'll get next. I just wish we'd get those Tetra Dualies, I'm dying to get my hands on them :p
Squ
eeeeeezer.

(Only took me four edits to get that right. No biggie.)

Award

I'm thinking it'll be a fairly uneventful variant of something. No way it's a big new weapon right after we got bambi and a new map and a huge patch. It's the first week I'm not paying too much attention. There's only 4 weps remaining that I'm majorly interested in. I don't even care about tuber alt kits.....the vanilla is perfect just the way it is. Maybe a flingza alt could be enjoyable depending on what it's got. The bomb rush is amazing but the wall is a little meh.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Being a Brella Main, of course I'm going to say Sorella Brella, but we got Tenta two weeks ago, so that's not happening. We haven't gotten a new dualies in a long time, so Dapple Dualies Nouveau?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom