• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I'm sliding my chips loot box money on Range Blaster.

Also, what is up with the "DUDE says..." memes now cropping up? Some of them are ridiculous and amusing granted, but what occurred with Dude for this to happen?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Also, what is up with the "DUDE says..." memes now cropping up? Some of them are ridiculous and amusing granted, but what occurred with Dude for this to happen?
I'll tell you the same thing I told you last night, Dude is popular and someone made a dumb meme :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

The first one I saw was about how Dude said the rapid blaster isn’t good because it doesn’t paint well. Not SURE if that’s the actual first one (or if Dude actually said that), but that’s my guess as the first one. Then from there, everything has a life of its own.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I keeping my chips on a new roller variant I want the custom range blaster but with release of a new charger class I am going to guess there won't be one of those for a while.
P.S what is this meme everyone is referring to?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I say a Tenta Brella S+10 person pre-1.4.0 and said "My mains are bad because DUDE said so." I was dying.
Ohhh. I think I did see this. You might be right.

The meme isn’t the most funny thing, but if I were Dude, I’d be loving it.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I keeping my chips on a new roller variant I want the custom range blaster but with release of a new charger class I am going to guess there won't be one of those for a while.
P.S what is this meme everyone is referring to?
I say a Tenta Brella S+10 person pre-1.4.0 and said "My mains are bad because DUDE said so." I was dying.
That might be the origin of it. I must admit that video about the Tenta Brella (a couple days before the patch notes floated around) I found hilarious and expressed some of my disappointment (and intensity) with the Tenta Brella.

Afterwards others starting making up "DUDE says" notes like "DUDE says Flingza Roller is OP" or "DUDE says aerospray is top-tier meta" and so on.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
LOL, yeah, the teleportations don't seem as common as S1, but I've certainly seen them (I love seeing the same squid jump from the same cliff 3 times still....or the ones that jump down, vanish, and are somewhere else.) Have you seen the "player vanishes in a puff of smoke, but didn't dc?" I've been seeing that pretty often. Best I can figure out is the auto-predict lost updates from them, tried to guess where they were, got it totally wrong and/or they got killed somewhere else, and that's how it "resets" their position. I couldn't figure it out until one game I splatted someone and the kill tag never appeared at all. They physically splatted, but nobody was credited. Later I saw the same player vanish in a smoke puff (but they hadn't DC'd). I figured out that the predictive system is actually moving them in full-AI mode at times....and where they are isn't where they are, and that's a reset when it finally realizes where they are. (Which is an interesting scary thought....how often are we playing AI's or at least player ghosts at times? I'm sure it doesn't happen for too long a time before it DC's them, but that it happens at all is a little disturbing. Maybe it prevents them from attacking, and just shows them running/evading, but still.)

BUT aero has seemed to be the official weapon of choice for laggers. It's definitely been the most dominant killer in most lobbies I've seen second only to splattershot (it's own lag machine, of course...). It could be that aero is just such an amazing killer, but we both know that's not true. Lag is the remaining denominator. I think the aero thing is a lot like the luna and dynamo appeal: With lag you don't really have to be aiming at the right place to get the kills. And because of it's broad spray pattern there's more chance of "accidentally" getting the kill particularly if lagging compared to more accurate shooters. (96 probably as the same "perk" but not as fast.) Playing tuber primarily I'm probably more keenly aware of ranges. In a 1:1 fair fight, I shouldn't be getting ripped by aeros. But if I'm at the edge of my range, an aero shouldn't be able to get be before I can even aim squarely.....but they often do. Maybe it happens with other weps similarly, but the range in play is a little more believable with most shooters than anything outside sploosh range with an aerospray.

The trouble is with its ink efficiency (it's still efficient), and it's ability to special spam (fixed for baller, but possibly not for launcher since they REDUCED the required points!...maybe even made worse) that "spray everywhere non-stop, get kills" appeal for laggers will remain unchanged. They can't fix the sloppy netcode, but they can fix the parameters that makes certain weapons obviously bad interactions with lag. In this case I think the inaccuracy is the issue. Range/droplet spread would have been parameters to adjust to change that. They missed the mark on this one.

It will "fix" it only in that now everyone is going to hear how "bad" aero is again and it will become a meme and people will stop playing it because "they hear on the internet they shouldn't play it." I don't want to see aero vanish, I actually loved it in S1. Hated that it wasn't viable in ranked. But it was also controlling the meta in S2, and making splatfests miserable.

That said I still feel bad for baller players. It was bad, then it was good, it wasn't OP except for aero that could ridiculously spam them. Chargers and blasters (and rollers) DID need a better way to handle them but the "free object shredder to most weapons against baller" fix seems pretty overkill coupled with the baller radius nerf. Baller might be the new old stingray going forward :p I haven't been playing it after shifting my roller play to flingza, but I'm glad I'm not....that's an unpleasant change.

Everything else in the patch is awesome though! I didn't get to try everything. I'm still worried about the dodge rolls from the little bit I played with them. That's a really annoying ability and it's present on a lot of weapons. But the tuber buffs are everything I could have hoped for, flingza IMO feels really good now. The vert speed improvement isn't as much as some hoped but it's decent, it handles a lot better now, and forward flicks are great. Bambi doesn't feel too different to me with the run speed. Inkbrush....nobody has commented on inkbrush...the range increase is quite noticible....not getting caught on enemy ink while rolling is what it desperately needed in S1 and never got. Inkbrush is really interesting now. The splat brella definitely is improved.....Personally I still can't get a meaningful rhythm from playing it....I want to love it but I just can't manage to figure out how to use it in a given situation better than something else. Tentabrella still feels pretty meh to me. It's better, but still doesn't really give me an interest in it.

I do fear tuber will become meta still. Played a TW lobby on a team of 3 tubers and a Jr. We won. :p When was the last time you saw a team of 3 tubers?!
Are you saying every Aerospray user is a malicious lagger and that it's always because of lag when they splat you? Come on now, that's not true and not a very good way of thinking. Not seeing how lag benefits the Aero's accuracy. You can splat people with stray shots regardless of lag, that's just how the weapon fires, which more often than not isn't a good thing as you need 5 hits to splat but you're only gonna get consecutive hits if you're in their face.

Make no mistake, Baller is still good, the nerfs can be negated with Special Power Up. If one wants it to be as effective as before they'll just have to dedicate ability slots to it now. Heck even without any special power it's still better than pre-buff Stingray I'd say. I was already using 3 mains of SPU before the buffs so I'm good to go. There's no need to feel sorry for us Baller users. :L

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I was just thinking earlier that I hope the new weapon would be something I wouldn't ever use.
Technically it's TWO something's you'll never use because they're dropping both the scoped and unscoped versions! Christmas in October? How could we be so lucky?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was just thinking earlier that I hope the new weapon would be something I wouldn't ever use.
I seriously was, since I don't have my Switch with me for the next couple days. Rather have something useless drop now so it doesn't have to during a time I actually will play Splatoon!

Award

The first one I saw was about how Dude said the rapid blaster isn’t good because it doesn’t paint well. Not SURE if that’s the actual first one (or if Dude actually said that), but that’s my guess as the first one. Then from there, everything has a life of its own.
I think the meme is "Dude said [insert OP wep] is bad" and "Dude said [insert under used wep] is OP" But I had to admit I'm chuckling with the very super-meta meme. It's head and shoulders above furries and "I wish x was real."

Ok, I'll bite.
"I wish DUDE was real."

@Award
I made the poor fellow playing the innkbrush so upset that he DCed in the last minute(or maybe his internet crapped out) =[ bitter sweet
Whooooaaaa, now THAT is how it's done!! :scared:

Are you saying every Aerospray user is a malicious lagger and that it's always because of lag when they splat you? Come on now, that's not true and not a very good way of thinking. Not seeing how lag benefits the Aero's accuracy. You can splat people with stray shots regardless of lag, that's just how the weapon fires, which more often than not isn't a good thing as you need 5 hits to splat but you're only gonna get consecutive hits if you're in their face.

Make no mistake, Baller is still good, the nerfs can be negated with Special Power Up. If one wants it to be as effective as before they'll just have to dedicate ability slots to it now. Heck even without any special power it's still better than pre-buff Stingray I'd say. I was already using 3 mains of SPU before the buffs so I'm good to go. There's no need to feel sorry for us Baller users. :L
Not all aerosprays are laggers, but the majority of laggers seem to be aerosprays. ;)

Precisely as you said, you can get splats with stray shots with the weapon, and the lag means you're firing stray shots potentially EVERYWHERE depending on where the system thinks you're aiming. Tellingly however, it didn't behave the same way in S1, so something changed about how it registers hits in S2. There's a reason aero is all over ranked in this game unlike the first one, and it's not just about the baller! My frustration comes not from the aero itself, but from them seeing aero was a problem but not understanding what the problem is. If you're going to go the route of "it's not lag, it's just the weapon" then you have to look at the aero being a far better shooter (at least pre-1.4?) than you give it credit for. The stats players playing them are racking up speak to the contrary. There's a lot of players out there that have been racking up top of lobby splats with that weapon. I've done it myself. It's the wrong weapon for some situations and will miss those all important shots particularly if the aero user is not lagging and is shooting at someone who is. But if you close in like a sploosh it's equally deadly (try it in the test range....kills more or less as fast as sploosh/dapple at sploosh range. Or at least did, assuming they didn't fix it in the patch and tell no one...I haven't tried it again yet.)

It's a Luna Shooter. :D

Glad baller can still be good, I've heard some heavy complaints about it. I haven't tried it yet, in large part because Krak-on is the only wep I play that has it, and I've mostly replaced that with Flingza, so I might not be testing it for some time.

The weapon we've all been asking for:

(That's squid beacons sub and bubble blower special if ya don't feel like clicking on the tweet and hitting the "translate" button.)
OMG it's even worse than I thought. The most useless weapon in the game gets and even more useless variant. I'm glad to see the return of the beacons on eliter, I loved playing the CEliter with QSJ in S1...but bubble blower? On a weapon that was already borderline useless? Do they not know that nobody plays it? Or in Japan is it still filled with eliter players everywhere because screw the meta? @birdiebee needs to keep us informed of such things :) 2 years ago I'd have been jumping up and down with joy for a new eliter...... how times have changed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom