• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Today brings another of those special Salmon Run rotations, this time on Marooner Bay. As I spotted the ???? on the rotation when 1.4.0 dropped I decided to take a peek now on sone streams and discover what weapon we have.

Turns out it’s the Grizzco Brella! Appears to have the same concept as the Blaster with high firerate except this umbrella doesn’t have fabric over the metal skeleton so presumably can’t guard but might allow holding ZR for continuous fire? Either way it looks like this event is going to be monthly (like Splatfests). Personally I’m just excited for the random weapon shuffle, something I wish was a Salmon Run staple as it becomes way more interesting when each wave is truly different for the team. I believe this is a 30hr rotation so don’t miss out on trying the next Grizzco weapon!

the

Inkling Commander
Yeah, that salmon run rotation was on during the splatfest. I got the brella for a round and it's pretty interesting. It plays kinda like an ink-flamethrower. It doesn't seem to shred as much as the grizz blaster did so I'd like to see something like it in online play someday

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Now that I've had a chance to play 1.4.0, I can safely say I'm going to using Mini Splatling more - even more then I already was.
Wow Vampire vs. Werewolf Shifty Station is bad. :scared:
At least your Shifty Station is at least somewhat unique, I thought our Shifty Station was both awful and boring.
Personally I’m just excited for the random weapon shuffle, something I wish was a Salmon Run staple as it becomes way more interesting when each wave is truly different for the team
This. The random rotation is the only time I actually play salmon run for more than just the first super bonus; because it keeps me engaged for far longer than the regular rotations do.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
What I find interesting is the consensus in many venues that vampire was losing a lot of matches and getting slaughtered by werewolf. And most of the day I was on werewolf doing the slaughtering. I was utterly stunned when the results came in. That makes no sense at all.

The usual splatfest nightmare did occur at night time when for some reason suddenly it became impossible to win (that seems to happen every splatfest no matter what team I'm on.) I even did werewolf on my alt instead of vampire (I usually split one of each to experience both sides) because I was so certain werewolf was winning. Whoops! I don't really get why that happens. Though it seemed to correlate to a sudden lag spike that most rounds had at least one enemy player that seemed almost invincible and was visibly teleporting.... so the night difficulty might be night laggy players somehow?

Also, did anyone else here notice the victory/ink percentage not matching the map? There might have been some instances on other maps at times but it seems Shifty Station REALLY suffered from this. Early on I saw some matches that I thought I lost and it said I won. And some in the other direction. Then later someone messaged me and asked me if I'd seen that very phenomenon. Then later I was playing some team and several of us noticed especially one glaring round where, visually we had like 70% of the map and almost spawncamped them....I mean most of the map was overwhelmingly solid orange.....and then judd said we lost. I'm thinking there may have been a shifty station bug with ink measuring? Or maybe not updating the server side ink map for laggy players properly (that round had one of those very laggy truly invincible players.) Curious if anyone here saw it?

Ahem.....because of how I have been playing flex as well as a defender of the non-meta, I play this weapon occasionally and it isn't all that

Ahem.... pull out another soapbox, places it on top previous soapbox
Again I see a lot of heat for the e-liter 4k yes it is not as powerful as It's predecessor, nor would I ever want it to be. I guess (again) this is a little unique case cause I refused to play the e-liter 3k in the original but I find this one to actually be enjoyable.
I have also tried out the new kit a little and I love it, a supporting charger, not a special charge to close range monster, but a fighter that has to use It's range and know It's limits while making sure to keep their team in mind .
Played properly I went 11-1 (no assists) with the custom, plus I have used vanilla e-liter 4k and beat Dude in solo queue with it.

Overall what I am saying is don't write this eliter off so quickly, it is a very rewarding and enjoyable charger to use. (Charger pierce triple bubble pop)

Also for those who want to know what I use
Vanilla
:ability_inkresistance::ability_specialduration::ability_inkresistance::ability_inkresistance:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_inkresistance:
Custom
:ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_defenseup::ability_bombrange:
:ability_swimspeed::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed:
LOL is this the right occasion to start a "Dude said Eliter 4k is OP" meme? :P I'm sure he was vulnerable to your 4k because he's just not used to seeing them anywhere in S2 and forgot how to avoid them :P ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm going to surprise myself, and actually agree with you on this. I bought the custom/scope just "because" it felt so wrong to leave my old main sitting in sheldon's shop untouched....I planned to, but couldn't get myself to do it. I ended up playing it for the rest of the night and having fun with it again. Getting back into my old CEliter QSJ (the strawboater hat came back out...oh yes it did!) build made the eliter feel a lot better, as did applying some goo tuber know how to the stored charge (scopes are just flat out horrible in this game, sorry, but it's true! :P ). I only did TW, and given the limited role (celiter is no longer a tacticians weapon as it was in S1....that role has been handed to tuber) I'm not sure I'd actually take it into ranked anymore. At least certainly not anything but TC. But in TW it felt a little like the good old days again. I definitely enjoyed it. But it's also unreliable and subject to team support without any ability to push or carry on its own. But on the up side I was messing with it in TW with a friend who's a great deal above my skill level and managed to get the upper hand a couple times (I feat I can't duplicate with shorter range weapons) so it gets a definite seal of approval for at worst, my TW arsenal. I'd struggle to replace tubers versatility in solo queue ranked. The vanilla 4k just has an awful kit. I know some people love the ink mines, but....that's just awful. The beacons definitely revitalized the eliter brand a little in my mind. The bubbles....I'm still pretty ambivalent about. I've pulled some kills off them, but I still can't really love the bubble blower. Too many times enemies paint the bubbles before I can hit them, and they don't pop in one hit....meaning I let myself get distracted by my own bubble and would have done better to focus on the enemy.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
The usual splatfest nightmare did occur at night time when for some reason suddenly it became impossible to win (that seems to happen every splatfest no matter what team I'm on.) I even did werewolf on my alt instead of vampire (I usually split one of each to experience both sides) because I was so certain werewolf was winning. Whoops! I don't really get why that happens. Though it seemed to correlate to a sudden lag spike that most rounds had at least one enemy player that seemed almost invincible and was visibly teleporting.... so the night difficulty might be night laggy players somehow?
I played team games (Team Werewolf) for all but maybe a half dozen games, so I can only comment on what I saw there... In most matches, the lag was minimal to nonexistent. What annoyed me (I think I complained about this in the Salt thread) was we ran into Japanese teams wayyy too many times, and the lag in those games was out of control. I can't say what, exactly, goes into Japanese players jumping into North American splatfests, but I can say the result was most often that my team lost while their teams teleported around us.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I'll agree: this was the worst lag I've ever seen in this game. What was interesting is that I saw only one d/c the whole time, so I'm wondering if they refactored their netcode in 1.4 to be more tolerant of errors. I saw a couple of teleports, which I've only ever seen once before (the night 1.4 dropped), and received quite a number of one-shot kills and deaths from outside the area of explosions.

I felt like team Werewolf was kicking my butt, too--I lost far more than I won for most of the night, barely bringing it back to about 50/50 by the end. Ran into a huge number of amazing players that just ran circles around my teams, and got spawn-camped several times.

I liked the idea of this Shifty Station, but it's far too swingy. Way too many games where one team was solidly winning at the 10-second mark but wiped and ended up losing 50/30.

the

Inkling Commander
This has probably been answered somewhere before, but: Do drinks have any effect on rerolls? (I assume they don't, due to the counter only decreasing through matches, but I may as well ask just in case)

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Hey on the bright side, this means we could get any alt kit even before all the ones available from the get go in Splatoon 1 return. I guess it's safe to start hoping for the Slosher Deco every week!

Lag is the delay before your actions register to other players, it does not somehow make your shots go everywhere, deal more damage, have more range, or anything else. The system doesn't change your aim beyond where it thinks the opponent is, but you still have to actually hit the opponent as your weapon normally would to get the splat no matter how much lag there is. So as continually said, the Aerospray gains no further benefits from lag than other shooters.

As for it dominating ranked, I thought you said you don't play ranked? Regardless, in my experience the opposite is true. In S+ atleast the Aerospray is pretty uncommon and for good reason, as 90% of the time they contribute towards 5 splats at best. And it's not just because it's noobs using the weapon, I've seen strong players struggle with it aswell.

I think my assessment of the weapon is pretty fair. It's inferior to every other short range shooter as they can do everything the Aerospray can but more and better, especially now that it's one niche of turfing slightly faster is no more. Again, doesn't mean you can't do well with the weapon, just that it'll be harder to do well with than other shooters.
Sorry, I missed your post the other day and didn't notice until now. Sorry for the late reply!

Based on the fact that I've seen you use "lel" in posts from time to time, am I guessing correctly you're located in Europe? The much better quality of internet there might not show you some of the crazy stuff that gets seen on a regular basis in the US. If you're in the US or other NA territory, then I think you might be underestimating the effects of lag (or interpreting my descriptions to literally.) We've disagreed on the effect of lag with regard to range/damage of weapons since the infamous Dynamo :P Again at your (extreme) skill level you're not going to be as hindered by such things but I'm sure you can still see the effects. Yes your shots don't ACTUALLY go everywhere. You shots hit based on where your system thinks the opponent is. BUT the catch is if the opponent is somewhere else, they will receive damage from a player/weapon where their system shows that opponent well out of range and/or not even shooting in their direction. To the laggy player no, they won't see themselves hitting enemies across the map. But the recipient WILL see themselves hit by an aerospray across the map. (or any other weapon, including and especially splattershot, but aero seems to be the current favorite among such laggy players. There's evidence they're switching to rollers now though after the patch based on the uptick of laggy rollers I'm seeing.

I say "ranked" referring to both solo and league, I just meant the 3 ranked modes. you may be right at high S+, I haven't seen the metas there, and that may be more an issue relating to the overall meta that formed at the top than the overall viability. (again talking pre-1.4) Heck the quartet of Nerfballers are great evidence of what it's been doing at the top. But my bigger concern is what it's doing with the laggy bottom.

To be fair the 1.4 patch and it's reduction of the number of plyaers willing to use it has eliminated the problem largely, not by fixing it, but by pushing people to use something else anyway. Anecdotally I've been plagued by a few specific players. one was a duelie, one was a sploosh, one was a flingza lagging like crazy.

Playing squad in splatfest there was a duelie that I hit several times with a bambi, he was fine. Then on the kill cam I watched a teammate shoot directly at his face a while with a splattershot and he was fine, and then another teammate hit him twice with a sloshing machine and he was fine.....and he killed all 3 of us (he continued lagging the rest of the match and of course had like 12+ kills. Invincibility tends to do that.)

Yesterday a particularly annoying roller was plaguing me. He ONLY rolled. I had sploosh. He kept crushing me. Even when I was mid-splashdown jump. Crushed, not splatted. Finally the last straw was when I was hiding on the wall below on the right lower side of shipyard. He did a vertical fling over the ledge. I was splatted. It reported I was CRUSHED by the roller.....he wasn't even rolling at the time. The first time he wasn't! And I was on a wall the whole time.

Later a sploosh was laggy as all getup (I had a tuber) and he kept splatting me nicely outside sploosh range, and absorbing hits, travelling through exploding suction bombs a-ok, and splatting me mid-air in a splashdown where it was clear even with Dude-like aim nobody can react to that. The final indicator was when I activated splashdown, then he activated splashdown (which normally results in the first one winning.) No, he won, I lost. Obviously on his end he activated first.....but when the opponent can't react to an attack because they can't see the attack the "effect" is magic kills from shots going "everywhere." And the wider the spray pattern the more "everywhere" the random hit can go (I.el. walking into the side shot not knowing it's happening.)

I don't disagree post 1.4, though. Without the turfing niche, it's defintely not qhat it was.

I played team games (Team Werewolf) for all but maybe a half dozen games, so I can only comment on what I saw there... In most matches, the lag was minimal to nonexistent. What annoyed me (I think I complained about this in the Salt thread) was we ran into Japanese teams wayyy too many times, and the lag in those games was out of control. I can't say what, exactly, goes into Japanese players jumping into North American splatfests, but I can say the result was most often that my team lost while their teams teleported around us.
Interesting, we didn't really see Japanese teams, or maybe we did but didn't know it. I saw some kana, but not full teams of it, so I assumed it was non-Japan players, though it doesn't mean the phonetic names weren't Japanese. I see enough kana regularly that I'm never sure who was really Japanese. I think they probably need to hold splatfests at the same time if we're to avoid that. Though actually I kind of miss the worldwide splatfest (and the Japanese players in general....they added so much more creativity to the meta). I just don't miss the 300-800ms pings....

I'll agree: this was the worst lag I've ever seen in this game. What was interesting is that I saw only one d/c the whole time, so I'm wondering if they refactored their netcode in 1.4 to be more tolerant of errors. I saw a couple of teleports, which I've only ever seen once before (the night 1.4 dropped), and received quite a number of one-shot kills and deaths from outside the area of explosions.

I felt like team Werewolf was kicking my butt, too--I lost far more than I won for most of the night, barely bringing it back to about 50/50 by the end. Ran into a huge number of amazing players that just ran circles around my teams, and got spawn-camped several times.

I liked the idea of this Shifty Station, but it's far too swingy. Way too many games where one team was solidly winning at the 10-second mark but wiped and ended up losing 50/30.
In TW I've seen no less disconnects (and actually more disconnects right at spawn rather than partway through.) so I don't think that's it. But it's definitely likely they refactored netcode. I'm seeing a lot more teleportation than I've been. More like S1 where people jump off the same ledge 3 times in a row then kill you from above. Teleports did happen sometimes (or at least jitter) but not to the "triple jump" level I've seen in S1. That seems to be back. Maybe they're reducing the region restrictions due to insufficient players and we're getting more trans-oceanic play in a lobby. Though even when I play with friends in EU, I see them lag/jitter somewhat, but not to the extent of some of these players.

One thing about the lag now is it's just much more pronounced. It used to be that when I'd just get crushed I'd think I was doing badly. But it's SO pronounced how I can tell it's lag....being "crushed" by rollers that aren't rolling and watching people stand on suction bombs with no effect is a little obvious. Splooshes that splat youAFTER they go by, rollers that splat you before they reach you, and kill takes that show up a full second after you splat someone..... well of course you're gonna' lose!

Yeah the result is a shock. I always knew vampire would be the popularity winner, that's no surprise. But the battles, solo, I was winning most matches on werewolf, and I haven't heard many vampire players that weren't losing a lot (and haven't met too many warewolves that did lose a lot...) The one meta I did think of is that it seems the REALLY low rank players on wolf were getting decimated while mid-top was dominating. If we assume there's a lot more players with a 1000-14000 power rating than there are with an 1800-2200 rating, then maybe the experience was a mirror image from ours at the bottom, and they made up most of the matches? (I was 1820-2043 during the solo fest.) Team play was a little different we had a hard time, but that was late at night when fest ALWAYS gets inexplicably difficult.

IMO that shifty was really tilted toward whoever had beacons on their team. I brought the beacons and rarely lost a match there. Getting into the choke points early meant the team never had to use the choke points again. Worked both in solo and team (surprisingly.)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Interesting, we didn't really see Japanese teams, or maybe we did but didn't know it. I saw some kana, but not full teams of it, so I assumed it was non-Japan players, though it doesn't mean the phonetic names weren't Japanese. I see enough kana regularly that I'm never sure who was really Japanese. I think they probably need to hold splatfests at the same time if we're to avoid that. Though actually I kind of miss the worldwide splatfest (and the Japanese players in general....they added so much more creativity to the meta). I just don't miss the 300-800ms pings....
When it's Kana alone, I don't think much of it. There are plenty of Japanese immigrants, descendants, students, visitors; etc in America that might use those characters, and there are plenty of any other background who might use it as well. But when it's Kana and extreme lag, that's enough for me to say, "Yup. They're from a different region alright."

We came across several of these teams (or maybe just a few that we played several times), and I don't think we won any of them. It was hard to even say if they out-skilled us because they were teleporting around like Nightcrawler and were impossible to keep track of.

I said something like, "I wonder if I can report them for this."

And another guy in my crew said, "You're going to report Japanese players for being Japanese... to a Japanese company?"

Which, yeah... That certainly makes it sound racist, but it's just that their other-region...ness is more easily identifiable than if, say, a European team of Gregs and Adams and Franks and Joshes all region-swapped and were laggy. When I'm getting lag f...screwed, my prejudice is 100% against lag.

I'd love to be able to play world wide all the time with next to no lag, but as it is, it's maddening to get in a game and have next to no shot at beating a team that's supposedly (based on power level) the same skill level as my team.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When it's Kana alone, I don't think much of it. There are plenty of Japanese immigrants, descendants, students, visitors; etc in America that might use those characters, and there are plenty of any other background who might use it as well. But when it's Kana and extreme lag, that's enough for me to say, "Yup. They're from a different region alright."

We came across several of these teams (or maybe just a few that we played several times), and I don't think we won any of them. It was hard to even say if they out-skilled us because they were teleporting around like Nightcrawler and were impossible to keep track of.

I said something like, "I wonder if I can report them for this."

And another guy in my crew said, "You're going to report Japanese players for being Japanese... to a Japanese company?"

Which, yeah... That certainly makes it sound racist, but it's just that their other-region...ness is more easily identifiable than if, say, a European team of Gregs and Adams and Franks and Joshes all region-swapped and were laggy. When I'm getting lag f...screwed, my prejudice is 100% against lag.

I'd love to be able to play world wide all the time with next to no lag, but as it is, it's maddening to get in a game and have next to no shot at beating a team that's supposedly (based on power level) the same skill level as my team.
Kinda comes off as a tad racist, yeah. It's not their fault the game matched them up with you. Japan traditionally has better internet speeds than the US, which doesn't amount to much when OUR internet services are terrible and the game has the tickrate it does. You really don't want to be in the same camp as people who report when other players use a specific character or upgrade :P

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Kinda comes off as a tad racist, yeah. It's not their fault the game matched them up with you. Japan traditionally has better internet speeds than the US, which doesn't amount to much when OUR internet services are terrible and the game has the tickrate it does. You really don't want to be in the same camp as people who report when other players use a specific character or upgrade :p
I don't get mad when the game does it. It's that it was during Splatfest, so they did whatever it is they did to region-jump. I'm annoyed when the game matches us in the normal scheme of things, but that's an annoyance with forces outside their own.

Where I start to blame is when someone jumps regions specifically to play Splatfest against a different region. I'm absolutely positive Americans do it too as well as Europeans... as well as... well, every region. And I blame them, too. It's just that it's harder to tell who those may be.

So to summarize: When it's Splatfest, it's the players who I blame for region hopping. When it's any other time, it's the heavens I blame.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I don't get mad when the game does it. It's that it was during Splatfest, so they did whatever it is they did to region-jump. I'm annoyed when the game matches us in the normal scheme of things, but that's an annoyance with forces outside their own.

Where I start to blame is when someone jumps regions specifically to play Splatfest against a different region. I'm absolutely positive Americans do it too as well as Europeans... as well as... well, every region. And I blame them, too. It's just that it's harder to tell who those may be.

So to summarize: When it's Splatfest, it's the players who I blame for region hopping. When it's any other time, it's the heavens I blame.
Region hopping requires spending on a different copy of the game from another region. It can be annoying but they DID pay for it and as such have the right to play.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Region hopping requires spending on a different copy of the game from another region. It can be annoying but they DID pay for it and as such have the right to play.
Does it require that? I bought my copy of Splatoon 2 from the Oceanic region, using an alt account, but I play it in all American regions. I think you just need to create a separate user account that uses that region. Or maybe do something more advance with a VPN. At any rate, I have the Australian copy of Splatoon 2, and I still play in the North American region and always have.

I don't know what goes into region hopping, but it certainly doesn't seem to be where the game is bought. Unless you mean a physical copy specifically (mine is digital), in which case, I'll concede to your point if you are right.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Does it require that? I bought my copy of Splatoon 2 from the Oceanic region, using an alt account, but I play it in all American regions. I think you just need to create a separate user account that uses that region. Or maybe do something more advance with a VPN. At any rate, I have the Australian copy of Splatoon 2, and I still play in the North American region and always have.

I don't know what goes into region hopping, but it certainly doesn't seem to be where the game is bought. Unless you mean a physical copy specifically (mine is digital), in which case, I'll concede to your point if you are right.
And that is because, for whatever reason, Australia and New Zealand and a few other regions are considered part of NA for matchmaking.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
And that is because, for whatever reason, Australia and New Zealand and a few other regions are considered part of NA for matchmaking.
Whatttt? That's crazy. Okay, if they went to the effort of buying a second copy of the game just to play in NA regions, then my only complaint is with Nintendo and not with them. A little suffering on my end is probably worth it just to support this game more. It's annoying, but like you said, they paid for it.

shudder

Senior Squid
This happens pretty regularly in the game based on my experiences and it's not just Japanese players it happens with.

In terms of the lag talk, I think when the game first launched it did a better job of covering it up, it was still there just not as noticeable most of the time, but it does seem to be getting worse. What's interesting to me is the same thing happened when the first game launched, it wasn't that noticeable at first but gradually got worse and worse.

Laggy brellas are the new splatoon hell. As a shooter I've found them almost impossible to kill without another teammate occupying them.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Laggy brellas are the new splatoon hell. As a shooter I've found them almost impossible to kill without another teammate occupying them.
Oh yeah, it was super frustrating to get killed by a Brella user while their brella was still up.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
My laggiest game in Splatoon have most times been players in the U.S over Japan, that being said I have a wired internet signal and.
Lag for me usually comes in some interesting forms, when it does happens like a hovering rainmaker flying back to center, or bullets flying from a splatted foe. Whenever it happens though it is more amusing than anything.

@Silxer
I have to admit I honestly appreciate the way kit are built around the long range weapons right now, Before weapons especially short ranged where limited in movement while ranged weapons were easily able handle close range encounters with subs or specials making fights feel one sided (especially moray)
Nowadays each of them focuses on making the most use of your effective range and support allies or picking off enemies from a distance which I enjoy.
My only grief is the more options is great, but work it towards opening the map up more, not adding a bunch of flankable routes, give a player some way to be able to protect their snipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom