• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the

Inkling Commander
Oddly enough, one of the common names I keep running into is "Chris" for some reason. So far I've counted at least five of them. One that is "chris" all lowercase letters. One I know in meatspace and added to my friend list. One I often encounter in rank and a few splatfests. A different one I usual meet in Turf War that plays nothing like ranked mode "Chris." And one that played like neither of the two previously mentioned. And I know they're different because I look through my "search users recently played with" setting and yep, different Chrises. Utterly wacky!

I'm also starting to keep tabs on the different Emmas too.

*hold up magnifying glass*
What's your in-game name? I'm a "Chris", and yeah it seems like a pretty common name. Whenever I see another chris in the lobby, ESPECIALLY one using the same weapon, I feel like I've entered a struggle to assert my dominance...

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Hmmm... sounds like a doppelganger or even Highlander situation for you. lol

I normally go by just "Ansible" unless I'm feeling thematic about a splatfest.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The Squeezer (as well as Glooga/Tetra Dualies n Compact Brella) will probably be announced in advance since it's a new weapon type like the Splat Brella and Tenta Brella, meaning I think it's unlikely we'll see it this week. I have a feeling the Hydra is gonna be the last returning weapon as it was one of the last weapons we got in Splatoon 1. Thus I could see Range Blaster, but we just got a returning weapon recently, so it'll probably be another alt kit this time. Slosher decoooooo!!!! nah probably gold dynamo or dapple nouveau.

@Award Nah I live the U.S. aswell, didn't even know "lel" was a Europe thing, I just like saying it hehe. Again, not saying lag isn't a significant and regular annoyance, just that I really don't believe it helps the Aerospray more than other shooters.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I don't know if it means anything, but in the Salmon Run after the next, one of the weapon slots is filled with a "?". It could mean a random weapon, it could mean a Grizzco weapon, but it could also mean it's the new weapon, and if it is, it won't be a "clone" weapon. If it isn't a "clone", then it could very well be something like the Hydra or Range Blaster.

I would like new Dualies or the Squeezer, but I won't hold my breath. I'm still convinced they'll announce the Squeezer beforehand.

I'm gonna put my chips in on a Roller again.

Jon914

Pro Squid
I don't know if it means anything, but in the Salmon Run after the next, one of the weapon slots is filled with a "?".
I'm reading it as a just one slot being random, so you don't end up with something silly like 4 Dynamos but still have some of the fun factor of the random loadouts.

I like that they're experimenting with the format.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Well, well, well.

Suction bombs and ink storm. This is an amazing kit.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this weapon a bit more, and man is it going to be so annoying. Everything about this weapon and kit asks the question "how much can I tick off other people?" And the answer is probably going to be " a lot."

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Guess Splatoon 2 will get some playtime yet before Mario Oddyssey hits! Since I've become a big fan of the Rapid Blaster in S2 (as opposed to S1 where I disliked all Blasters), I've been trying out every Blaster in the hope there's another one I like. So far that hasn't happened yet, but the Range Blaster sounds like it could be up my alley.

the

Inkling Commander
Oooh.

Oooooooh.

I like both suction bombs and inkstorms, this should be fun if I can learn how to use a blaster instead of dying all the time

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Well I’ll be missing the Range Blaster and next week’s weapon release weekends. Moved house on Monday (although I arrived on the Wednesday) and currently have standard broadband with a whopping 1.2mbps down and 0.24mbps up. I tried Mario Kart Wii online with Wiimmfi, could play that (barely), but encountered many disconnects and struggled to connect to hosts and other players in rooms. I then tried Splatoon 2 (in Turf War of course), had the first match work fine, then had 2 of those "win dc" style disconnects (everyone disappeared bar me and then "A communication error has occured." and the 4th match dropped out about 30 seconds in.

I love this kit, but with the nerfs made to jump shots (not really necessary despite the complaints), the maps favouring short ranged weapons and a lack of invincible specials countering short range I don't see the long term viability of this weapon. I'm waiting on the Grim Custom Range Blaster because that should most definitely help keep short ranged weapons in check with its kit. This is also why I'm not holding any breath for the Hydra, as it'll have the same issues that the E-Litre has. I picked up the original Heavy at launch, but dropped it due to the over-reliance on your team getting key splats in aggressive moves and I couldn't push forward due to my range, slower kill time and slow movement so when my team lost ground, I couldn't push back because I lost my vantage points and the short ranged weapons get up in your face before you have the time to say "Rainmaker".

As the competitive players have mentioned many times (and I see their points), long ranged weapons don't work because they give up painting and aggression to hold back, be defensive and support, and most of those weapons don't even have the map space to abuse their range either. Splatoon already favours short ranged weapons due to matches being won by the team who manages the biggest single push, and Splatoon 2 kind of nerfed the living daylights out of all the short ranged counters (Dynamo, E-Litre through no damage up and poor kits, no Kraken to counter short range). It also didn't help that Disruptors were turned into Toxic Mist and Echolocator was lost, as Disruptors hindered all short ranged weapons rather than telling them "you can't go here" as there are many different ways for those weapons to go around it and splat you anyway, and Echo was a very useful tool to spam out and get easy onscreen info as to where the enemy where and prevent flanks.

I feel like I can get away with using the Splattershot Pro, but it isn't a very good weapon compared to all the things in the meta and I'd be better off learning a weapon that does the same things but better. I'm also holding out on the .96 Deco, with the kit it is receiving it stands a decent chance of countering short ranged weapons and I've planned my build for it, I just need to get that put together before it releases (which will be in a few months' time). Mark my words, once the Neo Splash releases that will become a highly popular mainstream meta weapon in Turf and Ranked. It paints way better than the nerfed Aerospray, got a nifty range buff and the maps will favour it and with the kit it has I think the Neo Splash will shine in a way that Splash in general never did in the original (although saying that near the end of the game's life the vanilla was used for Bomb Rush spam and constant turf coverage).

View attachment 5726
There's a good amount of gear, I have a few each of most abilities (where is freaking comeback there's like 2 pieces with it?).....I think we're still lacking in maps more than anything else. If I see Moray-freaking-Towers one more time this week I am going to lose my ink.

What was that about Comeback? :P

In all seriousness though I highly recommend that people download the Nintendo Switch Online App, whilst I agree on how unnecessary and complicated (and dumb) the calling side of the app is, SplatNet 2 is a real diamond and I wish we had a browser version of it. You get 12 pieces of gear a day, all with different main abilities (not always good though) and you only need to check it twice a day as gear gets 12 hours before disappearing. On top of that you can see how your win/loss streaks are going for your last 50 matches, you can see how many matches you've won with weapons you've used, your individual win percentages for all the maps on Ranked and really narrow down which maps give you problems and which modes are problematic and start working on them. There's also the SplatNet 100 and the silly trivia that shows your lifetime inkage and what real world locations you have "covered" with ink, and you get wallpapers for your phone and tablets (which is dumb, but Nintendo loves wallpapers don't they?). I've been getting rid of gear with Cold-Blooded and Quick Respawn as both of those abilities are so useless, and I've been using it to get nice pieces of gear with abilities that work better for me so I can get those fresh looks.

I haven't wrote an essay like this in quite some time. I better not start making a habit of this :P

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I was right! I was right! I was finally actually right on my first try this time!

With suction bomb seems this is gonna be an ink guzzling weapon. Suction bombs and ink storm, I'm guessing you can take advantage of chip damage or encourage someone into a direct. Unfortunate they didn't give it a redesign to make it distinct from the regular blaster.

Hydra mains continue to screech for at least one more week!
One more week or one more month? :p

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
With suction bomb seems this is gonna be an ink guzzling weapon. Suction bombs and ink storm, I'm guessing you can take advantage of chip damage or encourage someone into a direct. Unfortunate they didn't give it a redesign to make it distinct from the regular blaster.
I'm seriously sweating over what my gear is gonna have to be for this one. Ink res, of course, but does the rest have to be 100% ink savers and recovery? I'd LIKE to do some run speed, but I feel like it needs a lot of work with that ink efficiency to be max deadly.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Well, well, well.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this weapon a bit more, and man is it going to be so annoying. Everything about this weapon and kit asks the question "how much can I tick off other people?" And the answer is probably going to be " a lot."
Finally one the weapons that players have been asking for weeks for is finally is coming out! :D

Hydra mains continue to screech for at least one more week!
Don't worry the Hydra's time will come.

Hopefully next week from popular demand the Hydra will come out. :p

I'm seriously sweating over what my gear is gonna have to be for this one. Ink res, of course, but does the rest have to be 100% ink savers and recovery? I'd LIKE to do some run speed, but I feel like it needs a lot of work with that ink efficiency to be max deadly.
This is currently the "general" gear setup I use for for most weapons at the moment, and will more then likely be what I use for the Custom Ranged Blaster (Ignore the ability chunks on the Glasses though, I don't know what I actually want on them and have been using them mainly for scrubbing at the moment).

The abilities are pretty general for the most part and can work well with most weapons (mainly shooters), but I do love Ink recovery so that's why I have two mains worth of it and it looks pretty fresh (at least to me) as well.

I actually never used the Custom Ranged Blaster in Splat 1, so it will be exciting too see how it works out in Splat 2 (especially since it has a pretty good kit)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is currently the "general" gear setup I use for for most weapons at the moment, and will more then likely be what I use for the Custom Ranged Blaster (Ignore the ability chunks on the Glasses though, I don't know what I actually want on them and have been using them mainly for scrubbing at the moment).

The abilities are pretty general for the most part and can work well with most weapons (mainly shooters), but I do love Ink recovery so that's why I have two mains worth of it and it looks pretty fresh (at least to me) as well.

Here's what I use for the rapid pro and rapid non-pro:
IMG_0262.jpg

And here's what I use for the luna (although I'm going to replace that special up with another ink res as soon as I have the chunks):
IMG_0263.jpg

I feel like I want the range blaster set to be a cross between the two, but maybe with one sub saver main replacing one main saver main. I don't know. Gotta see what feels right.

Award

YES! Range Blaster! This is exciting. I'm not sure if I'll stick with regular blaster or switch back though, I've really grown to love the vanillay (curse you, @Saber!) But I often wish I had a bit more reach, so I'm pumped anyway. Everything cyan said though makes me worry that I'll end up sticking with what I've got.

Well I’ll be missing the Range Blaster and next week’s weapon release weekends. Moved house on Monday (although I arrived on the Wednesday) and currently have standard broadband with a whopping 1.2mbps down and 0.24mbps up. I tried Mario Kart Wii online with Wiimmfi, could play that (barely), but encountered many disconnects and struggled to connect to hosts and other players in rooms. I then tried Splatoon 2 (in Turf War of course), had the first match work fine, then had 2 of those "win dc" style disconnects (everyone disappeared bar me and then "A communication error has occured." and the 4th match dropped out about 30 seconds in.

I love this kit, but with the nerfs made to jump shots (not really necessary despite the complaints), the maps favouring short ranged weapons and a lack of invincible specials countering short range I don't see the long term viability of this weapon. I'm waiting on the Grim Custom Range Blaster because that should most definitely help keep short ranged weapons in check with its kit. This is also why I'm not holding any breath for the Hydra, as it'll have the same issues that the E-Litre has. I picked up the original Heavy at launch, but dropped it due to the over-reliance on your team getting key splats in aggressive moves and I couldn't push forward due to my range, slower kill time and slow movement so when my team lost ground, I couldn't push back because I lost my vantage points and the short ranged weapons get up in your face before you have the time to say "Rainmaker".

As the competitive players have mentioned many times (and I see their points), long ranged weapons don't work because they give up painting and aggression to hold back, be defensive and support, and most of those weapons don't even have the map space to abuse their range either. Splatoon already favours short ranged weapons due to matches being won by the team who manages the biggest single push, and Splatoon 2 kind of nerfed the living daylights out of all the short ranged counters (Dynamo, E-Litre through no damage up and poor kits, no Kraken to counter short range). It also didn't help that Disruptors were turned into Toxic Mist and Echolocator was lost, as Disruptors hindered all short ranged weapons rather than telling them "you can't go here" as there are many different ways for those weapons to go around it and splat you anyway, and Echo was a very useful tool to spam out and get easy onscreen info as to where the enemy where and prevent flanks.

I feel like I can get away with using the Splattershot Pro, but it isn't a very good weapon compared to all the things in the meta and I'd be better off learning a weapon that does the same things but better. I'm also holding out on the .96 Deco, with the kit it is receiving it stands a decent chance of countering short ranged weapons and I've planned my build for it, I just need to get that put together before it releases (which will be in a few months' time). Mark my words, once the Neo Splash releases that will become a highly popular mainstream meta weapon in Turf and Ranked. It paints way better than the nerfed Aerospray, got a nifty range buff and the maps will favour it and with the kit it has I think the Neo Splash will shine in a way that Splash in general never did in the original (although saying that near the end of the game's life the vanilla was used for Bomb Rush spam and constant turf coverage).

What was that about Comeback? :p

In all seriousness though I highly recommend that people download the Nintendo Switch Online App, whilst I agree on how unnecessary and complicated (and dumb) the calling side of the app is, SplatNet 2 is a real diamond and I wish we had a browser version of it. You get 12 pieces of gear a day, all with different main abilities (not always good though) and you only need to check it twice a day as gear gets 12 hours before disappearing. On top of that you can see how your win/loss streaks are going for your last 50 matches, you can see how many matches you've won with weapons you've used, your individual win percentages for all the maps on Ranked and really narrow down which maps give you problems and which modes are problematic and start working on them. There's also the SplatNet 100 and the silly trivia that shows your lifetime inkage and what real world locations you have "covered" with ink, and you get wallpapers for your phone and tablets (which is dumb, but Nintendo loves wallpapers don't they?). I've been getting rid of gear with Cold-Blooded and Quick Respawn as both of those abilities are so useless, and I've been using it to get nice pieces of gear with abilities that work better for me so I can get those fresh looks.

I haven't wrote an essay like this in quite some time. I better not start making a habit of this :p
Ohh, you mean the splat app clothes are different from the shop clothes?! I didn't know that. I've bought a few pieces from there but stopped paying attention because, honestly, it's annoying to use for shopping, and I just thought it was daily extended inventory of the regular store clothing! THAT'S where the darned comeback stuff went!!

Award

Another blaster?! Lame.

I'm gonna go play FE Warriors.

You mean one more year, right?

Wow, I'm so glad you posted that! Amazon COLOSSALLY screwed up! I hadn't realized that FE:W had actually already released! I preordered in January right after the presentation, and my order still says "ships Dec 29", and the product link goes to another FE:W page that says "unavailable signed up to be notified"....meanwhile if I search for FE Warriors there's the product page, a different one, and it's indeed already released and able to ship......so I had to cancel the old order and place a new one and would never have even realized I missed out on release had you not said that!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Well, well, well.

THIS IS MY KIND OF WEAPON! TICKING PEOPLE OFF IN VIDEO GAMES IS SOOOO MUCH FUN, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO IT AS WELL AS I DO! So glad I already know how to use the main weapon!!! Need to get this game NOW!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Here's what I use for the rapid pro and rapid non-pro:
View attachment 5742

And here's what I use for the luna (although I'm going to replace that special up with another ink res as soon as I have the chunks):
View attachment 5743

I feel like I want the range blaster set to be a cross between the two, but maybe with one sub saver main replacing one main saver main. I don't know. Gotta see what feels right.
Honestly I am probably going to just dig up my vanilla blaster kit and maybe tweak some things around to make it better.
Definitely keeping my thermal ink on with this one....mainly cause it got a lot of ink res. I will likely also be keeping my hat cause it has got shiny ink saver plus a main of sub defense.
I do genuinely recommend special charger or special saver since the range blaster did have lackluster special charge and (I believe mid special depletion)

YES! Range Blaster! This is exciting. I'm not sure if I'll stick with regular blaster or switch back though, I've really grown to love the vanillay (curse you, @Saber!) But I often wish I had a bit more reach, so I'm pumped anyway. Everything cyan said though makes me worry that I'll end up sticking with what I've got.

Ohh, you mean the splat app clothes are different from the shop clothes?! I didn't know that. I've bought a few pieces from there but stopped paying attention because, honestly, it's annoying to use for shopping, and I just thought it was daily extended inventory of the regular store clothing! THAT'S where the darned comeback stuff went!!
The vanilla blaster is great, I am glad to see you are having a blast (I regret nothing), though on the other hand you have gotten me to love the vanilla sploosh #revoloosh, and turned one of my most despised maps (Port Mackrel) into one of my favorites.

Also don't be too worried yeah the game favors short range weapons but the ranged blaster can easily control turf and deal plenty of chip damage with it's main, sub and special that players can take advantage of.
Out of all the long range weapon weapon I do feel this one will stick in the meta pretty well (at least that's what Dude said) mainly cause it fills the role of a SSP with a more offensive sub and quicker TTK if spaced properly, plus splash msg.

I do sincerely recommend the app for the shop and especially getting the 18k aviators since they have a tendency to go just about perfect or shiny with a drink.
They also will show you k/d when you click on it so you can see how well you and your team did as well as see other players name which makes it easier to order their gear from the hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom