• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Has anyone run into the same person multiple times during different Turf War sessions? There is this one guy I will occasionally run into. His name is unique enough to make me pretty sure it's the same guy. He always equips different weapons, which I guess is the point of Turf War. The only thing is that he's usually my opponent. I finally ally with him, and I try to be chums. I "Booyah!" him and squid flop for a bit, but he didn't even respond! How cold! We were also both using Chargers, which should have deepened the bond.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
When it's Kana alone, I don't think much of it. There are plenty of Japanese immigrants, descendants, students, visitors; etc in America that might use those characters, and there are plenty of any other background who might use it as well. But when it's Kana and extreme lag, that's enough for me to say, "Yup. They're from a different region alright."

We came across several of these teams (or maybe just a few that we played several times), and I don't think we won any of them. It was hard to even say if they out-skilled us because they were teleporting around like Nightcrawler and were impossible to keep track of.

I said something like, "I wonder if I can report them for this."

And another guy in my crew said, "You're going to report Japanese players for being Japanese... to a Japanese company?"

Which, yeah... That certainly makes it sound racist, but it's just that their other-region...ness is more easily identifiable than if, say, a European team of Gregs and Adams and Franks and Joshes all region-swapped and were laggy. When I'm getting lag f...screwed, my prejudice is 100% against lag.

I'd love to be able to play world wide all the time with next to no lag, but as it is, it's maddening to get in a game and have next to no shot at beating a team that's supposedly (based on power level) the same skill level as my team.
And that is because, for whatever reason, Australia and New Zealand and a few other regions are considered part of NA for matchmaking.
I hadn't realized that you still need to by a regional copy for it to recognize splatfests on the "region free" console. I thought it was just tied to the account region and/or geolocation of the IP. That makes me doubt more that any of the kana names I've seen in regular play are really Japanese.

But yeah, the one thing NoA territory has to keep in mind is that our experience in general in the game is going to be the worst among all the regions in terms of lag problems. Aus, NZ, S. America, Caribbean, and most of Asia Pacific is "NoA'. I.E. we don't really have our own region, we have worldwide play with the EXCLUSION of EU/UK/ME/Afr. So EU gets their own region that includes ME and Africa, but geographically that's not far away so it won't really have crippling lag. They should get a pretty smooth experience (barring some of what may qualify as "internet" in parts of ME/Afr getting in the way that makes American internet look great...) Japan gets a region 100% to itself. And NoA consists of every hemisphere on the globe except Europe all at once just like it was worldwide play anyway. And we're the only territory that has time zone issues that the game will play different at different times of day depending on which time zones are likely playing. It's an infuriating (and at times game ruining) experience that's rooted not in game design but in 30-year old business organizational arrangements within Nintendo that says NCL handles only Japan, and the rest of APac can fend for itself, meaning they generally buy a mix of NoE and NoA versions but mostly NoA because it's for some reason more available there (while NoE is actually geographically closer to them for internet play purposes...) Basically with this setup, it's clear that the new "region matching" system wasn't designed to keep Japanese players from lagging lobbies worldwide. It was to keep Japanese players from ever having to put up with lag from the world and enjoy their LAN-like internet. It's Japan's game. We're just allowed to play it. So long as we don't bother them. :p Kinda can't blame them, the real problem is Nintendo's 1980's approach to global distribution is designed for handling physical supply chain management, not for handling internet traffic. And honestly, is more about 1980's Japanese arrogance at the height of their industrial power snubbing every other nearby country and ignoring them completely and never even setting up an official distribution channel for them based on them being perceived as unimportant backwater wastelands, which back then, may have been true....but Nintendo does what Nintendoes and turns like a battleship on a beach with policy changes and now we have Melbourne, Rio, Kuala Lampur, Seoul, Manilla, and Bejing that are somehow all considered to be somewhere near NYC in Nintendoland's network matchmaking. Meanwhile in Japan Tokyo to Osaka are the longest distances they will ever have for matchmaing. Actually that's not true. They officially released Splatoon late in Taiwan and S. Korea. I believe they released the Japanese version in Taiwan with no native language support (because Japanese is such a common language there?) and I think they released the US version in Korea (yes, folks, we're considered the same "local" player base to Korea....because heaven forbid Koreans and Japanese were to actually mingle in any way orshare the same language version of the game, even as anonymous squids.....unthinkable! ) Meanwhile half of Taiwan that wanted to play already bought the US version (or Australian version which is NoA) when it released. And don't forget China which has zero official distribution, but consoles are more popular there than you might think. They're not illegal (which is astonishing actually), they're just not officially distributed so everybody buys the Aus/US versions imported with their local eBay like variant.

(Edit: There's actually some translation confusion as to if Korea actually got the NoA version, or if they got a Japan region version that has NoA's English localization applied over the Japanese (can't share anything Japanese with Korea after all! :P) So they get a version that LOOKS like ours but it's not certain if they're actually matchmade with JP or US.....would have to find someone in Korea that knows which Splatfests they get.)

TL;DR: Internet matchmaking for NoA is exceedingly messed up and will never actually be close to decent and will always be the worst of the 3 official regions, at least without dedicated servers. They probably have mild IP filtering for TW to try to sub-region the matchmaking, and MAYBE for solo, but it would be based on how many players are really available.

I'm hoping that rumor is true that they really ARE working on dedicated servers secretly for the paid service. That would fix SO much of this. Unless they just keep all the servers in Japan in which case actual NA would once again get the worst experience (while being Switch's #2 market.....) It would still be better though.

r, or bullets flying from a splatted foe.
That's basically EVERY foe. I can't remember the last foe that was NOT shooting after me after I splatted them. :confused: Usually I have to play the lag

Has anyone run into the same person multiple times during different Turf War sessions? There is this one guy I will occasionally run into. His name is unique enough to make me pretty sure it's the same guy. He always equips different weapons, which I guess is the point of Turf War. The only thing is that he's usually my opponent. I finally ally with him, and I try to be chums. I "Booyah!" him and squid flop for a bit, but he didn't even respond! How cold! We were also both using Chargers, which should have deepened the bond.
I think it's pretty common to see the same people extremely often. I've definitely seen repeated players often. Some of them I recognized from Arms as well.

The funniest was an annoying laggy sploosh that was driving me nuts. Map change finally got rid of him....and then I went into a different lobby later....and there he was again!

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Turf War, ranked, and league. Sometimes all within the same day or week!

Ansible & other squid: "Stop copies me! Stop copies me! Stop copies me"
A month or so back, I ran into the same dude over and over again in ranked, and he was TERRIBLE. They kept putting him on my team, and I got on a huge losing streak (as in -- I lost every time he was in my lobby because he was always on my team in that case). A week later, I saw his name in the ranked lobby again, and I shut my Switch off before the game could begin and walked away. I got all my modes up to S+ soon after, and I haven't seen him since.

iced potato

Senior Squid
There's around 10 people who I recognize and I run into a few of them every time I play whether it's Salmon Run, Turf War, Ranked or Splatfest.

A month or so back, I ran into the same dude over and over again in ranked, and he was TERRIBLE. They kept putting him on my team, and I got on a huge losing streak (as in -- I lost every time he was in my lobby because he was always on my team in that case). A week later, I saw his name in the ranked lobby again, and I shut my Switch off before the game could begin and walked away. I got all my modes up to S+ soon after, and I haven't seen him since.
I did the same thing earlier today actually. There was this guy the other day who was ruining Salmon Run for me dying all the time and barely collecting eggs and today I saw him in the Turf War lobby and shut my Switch off. Didn't wanna risk the chance of him ending up on my team.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
My apologies if this post might derail this conversation, but I saw this post on Reddit a day ago about flc's thoughts about the current state of ranged weapons (which was posted by someone else).
I was just wondering what are your thoughts on it.
Looking back at it, I do remember being able to deal with close ranged weapons better with the Zink.

Though I feel like he should have mentioned map design as a factor into the second game's balance issues too.

Edit: Grammar is hard.
Has anyone run into the same person multiple times during different Turf War sessions?
I've probably faced the same people multiple times, but there's one guy I remember the most thnaks to his unique name. He was actually pretty decent too (though that might just be because I don't think i'm all that good at Splatoon :p).

I haven't seen him since 1.3.0...

This has probably been answered somewhere before, but: Do drinks have any effect on rerolls? (I assume they don't, due to the counter only decreasing through matches, but I may as well ask just in case)
In case you haven't gotten an answer for this yet - No they don't.

Last edited:

Award

Some common names like "Ethan" I think I see at least 3 lobbies a day.....is it the same Ethan? Is there a consipiracy of Ethans? I don't know. But I definitely see repeated people between all the modes. What stands out to me is the sheer percentage of people I see either from here, groups I participate in, other forums. I'm getting the feeling that everybody I see and don't recognize is probably on r/Splatoon and between all those outlets that's probably nearly all the NoA player base that's active right here :P At least in the upper 50% of levels anyway. Ran into @Rockenberg in TW a few weeks ago....sadly he's not hanging around here anymore. He's too cool for us with his Twitch channel..... :P I'm finding the league and upper ranked population pretty tiny though, with running into people I know as my randoms, and the people I know running into each other as randoms relatively often. It's like league is always quads even as pairs because you know your whole team anyway :P

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Some common names like "Ethan" I think I see at least 3 lobbies a day.....is it the same Ethan? Is there a consipiracy of Ethans? I don't know.
Oddly enough, one of the common names I keep running into is "Chris" for some reason. So far I've counted at least five of them. One that is "chris" all lowercase letters. One I know in meatspace and added to my friend list. One I often encounter in rank and a few splatfests. A different one I usual meet in Turf War that plays nothing like ranked mode "Chris." And one that played like neither of the two previously mentioned. And I know they're different because I look through my "search users recently played with" setting and yep, different Chrises. Utterly wacky!

I'm also starting to keep tabs on the different Emmas too.

*hold up magnifying glass*

Award

Oddly enough, one of the common names I keep running into is "Chris" for some reason. So far I've counted at least five of them. One that is "chris" all lowercase letters. One I know in meatspace and added to my friend list. One I often encounter in rank and a few splatfests. A different one I usual meet in Turf War that plays nothing like ranked mode "Chris." And one that played like neither of the two previously mentioned. And I know they're different because I look through my "search users recently played with" setting and yep, different Chrises. Utterly wacky!

I'm also starting to keep tabs on the different Emmas too.

*hold up magnifying glass*
Oh, I think I've seen some of those Chris's. Or have I? Maybe they're DIFFERENT Chrises? Probably not. Definitely some of the names that are repeats are unique enough names though they must be the same. Most of them, actually. I don't often check though because I tend to get a "connection error" if I go into my account panel. No big deal but it kicks me back to the plaze and/or I have to hear Pearl and Marina babble to get back in if there's been a map change so I don't bother.

More confusing than the Ethans and Chris's, have you noticed the preponderance of Woomys? There's always a woomy. Lots of woomys. Here a woomy, there a woomy, everywhere a woomy unless it's a woomy! or a Woomy! or a ~!Woomy!~, but daily there's a dozen different woomys. There's infinitely woomys because woomy is woomy and there are woomy for woomy woomy woomy woo? Woomy? Woomywoomy? Woo. Woomy.

Woomy!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Usually I run into the same people quite often, mostly cause I will stay in the same lobby for some time before switching weapons, unless it is stacked against me or insanely easy

Also quick question how does one fire while shielding, I have seen quite a few players do this, and am curious how it is done, or if it is just an abuse caused by lag

Last edited:

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Usually I run into the same people quite often, mostly cause I will stay in the same lobby for some time before switching weapons, unless it is stacked against me or insanely easy

Also quick question how does one fire while shielding, I have seen quite a few players do this, and am curious how it is done, or if it is just an abuse caused by lag
It's fun when you see some of the same people in ranked, and you happen to not hate playing with them. It always makes me wonder if anyone groans when they see my username.

For some reason today, I got put in lobbies with some Team Olive people and fuzzy from.... I don't remember his team. He's not Olive, right? At any rate, I was playing pretty awful today and definitely couldn't hang. I wish they could have caught me on a good day when I wasn't embarrassing myself.

Strange what @Award says about always running into people from this board. I almost never. Maybe I just play at different times than everyone else or maybe most people's power levels are far too different from my own. It's weird. Of course, who knows if I'd actually recognize any usernames if we did meet in the wild.

Award

Step 1: Stream Netflix 4k on 6 computers simultaneously.
Step 2: Play Splatoon with a Splat Brella.
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: Profit!

Yeah, that's lag....can't shot and shield at the same time. You're seeing a shot they fired after they put the brella away, or finally getting a shot they fired before they put it up. Can't dodge what you can't see. No matter what L_D says ;)

It's fun when you see some of the same people in ranked, and you happen to not hate playing with them. It always makes me wonder if anyone groans when they see my username.

For some reason today, I got put in lobbies with some Team Olive people and fuzzy from.... I don't remember his team. He's not Olive, right? At any rate, I was playing pretty awful today and definitely couldn't hang. I wish they could have caught me on a good day when I wasn't embarrassing myself.

Strange what @Award says about always running into people from this board. I almost never. Maybe I just play at different times than everyone else or maybe most people's power levels are far too different from my own. It's weird. Of course, who knows if I'd actually recognize any usernames if we did meet in the wild.
I mostly see people in TW and league from here. I doubt I'd see many in solo queue since I don't really play solo queue and pretty much everyone here is S+ :P Though lately I don't know a lot of the current active base here outside the mainstays in this thread, so I probably see a lot more than I even realize. I get the feeling the >1700 or so power levels are kind of the internet regulars.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So the console has a system update that allowing us to do video capture—for 30seconds at a time. And so far it only works for Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 DS, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 (yay~).

It's a start, I guess.

Oh! And you can now transfer profile and save data... to another Switch... Nintendo gotta Nintendo, right?

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
The name that haunts my games is "Alex". I see an Alex every day. Sometimes it's the normal name, sometimes it's Alex95 (holy moly he's 95 years old!), sometimes it's Alex-kun. Even more is that there's an annoying guy I know with that name. Can I never escape this Alex plague?!

For encountering players from this board, I don't think that has ever happened for me. Admittedly I don't pay super close attention to names, so I might have missed a person or two. I encountered a "Lime" in Salmon Run, but I doubt it's the fella here.

As for as other noteworthy encounters, I encountered a LPer (or impersonator) named "Swimmybird". It was in ranked, using a new weapon, so I thought it could possibly be him recording content. My skill level is about the same as his, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
So it’s Thursday again... Let’s guess what new weapon comes tomorrow! I vote new roller or dualies.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
After such a lackluster weapon last week and Mario dropping next week, I'm voting....

SQUEEZER!

iced potato

Senior Squid
I'm sure I won't end up liking the Squeezer, but I am interested to see what it's like. I'm also really interested in seeing how the Tetra Dualies and Glooga Dualies differ to the existing Splat, Squelcher and Dapple Dualies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom