Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Man, I love you, but anyone who doesn't like Walleye Warehouse is clearly an enemy to humankind and should be thrown in prison for life. There is only one truth in this world -- everything else is subjective -- and that truth is that Walleye is a great map. I won't hear otherwise. The FBI should be at your door shortly.
You're absolutely right........assuming you love 30 second spawncamps.

You can simulate the Walleye Effect(TM) on any other map in Splatoon 2 however. Just put your controller on the floor while on spawn and watch the magic unfold! (Like at least one player on my TW teams always does.) :P

Award

@Saber BTW I didn't see your opinion on the Gold Dynamo now that it has the splat bombs. I've gone back and forth on it. I've only played it in TW so far. On Friday I did pretty well with it. Then Saturday I kind of sucked with it. ThenSunday Monday I was doing really well with it again. I mean really really well most times. And I wasn't sure if I was doing well or if my opponents just sucked (which was very possible.) I was losing many rounds but when I lost was still the top killer on the team the majority of times (or #2 at almost all times). It's weird because when I play it I feel I'm getting tons of trades and generally doing badly. Yet the stats show me I did quite well. Even factoring out the trades and assists I did well. I've had at least 3 different TW matches with 14 kills (assists and trades included) from it (and it's rare TW gets that high with ANY weapon...)

I don't know, my "I prefer the weapons that everyone thinks sucks" meta may be moving from flingza to dynamo...not sure yet :P But on Saturday I was convinced it was REALLY awful.... Curious what you think of it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Saber BTW I didn't see your opinion on the Gold Dynamo now that it has the splat bombs. I've gone back and forth on it. I've only played it in TW so far. On Friday I did pretty well with it. Then Saturday I kind of sucked with it. ThenSunday Monday I was doing really well with it again. I mean really really well most times. And I wasn't sure if I was doing well or if my opponents just sucked (which was very possible.) I was losing many rounds but when I lost was still the top killer on the team the majority of times (or #2 at almost all times). It's weird because when I play it I feel I'm getting tons of trades and generally doing badly. Yet the stats show me I did quite well. Even factoring out the trades and assists I did well. I've had at least 3 different TW matches with 14 kills (assists and trades included) from it (and it's rare TW gets that high with ANY weapon...)

I don't know, my "I prefer the weapons that everyone thinks sucks" meta may be moving from flingza to dynamo...not sure yet :p But on Saturday I was convinced it was REALLY awful.... Curious what you think of it.
I will admit I love the vanilla dynamo kit and occasionally play it in RM or splat zones, however as much as I defended the dynamo I am seriously conflicted by it.
It has great turf control and the ability to support allies and posses some great setup opportunities with the bombs....

HOWEVER it posses the same kit as the Splattershot Jr with a slower ttk, heavy movement and laggy endframes after each swing.
Imo I would recommend a comp. player stick with the Jr. since it can do everything better than the dynamo can.
For those who prefer non meta gold dynamos (and dynamos work best in uneven maps (starfish mainstage, the reef, etc) due to it sweetspot center and plus it ability to keep pressure on players and build up charge for a push.

I do tend to favor the vanilla moreso than it gold counterpart, my gear already plays towards that style, or maybe it cause I am cheap....

Award

I will admit I love the vanilla dynamo kit and occasionally play it in RM or splat zones, however as much as I defended the dynamo I am seriously conflicted by it.
It has great turf control and the ability to support allies and posses some great setup opportunities with the bombs....

HOWEVER it posses the same kit as the Splattershot Jr with a slower ttk, heavy movement and laggy endframes after each swing.
Imo I would recommend a comp. player stick with the Jr. since it can do everything better than the dynamo can.
For those who prefer non meta gold dynamos (and dynamos work best in uneven maps (starfish mainstage, the reef, etc) due to it sweetspot center and plus it ability to keep pressure on players and build up charge for a push.

I do tend to favor the vanilla moreso than it gold counterpart, my gear already plays towards that style, or maybe it cause I am cheap....
LOL, now the vanilla dynamo is one that to me is so bad even I wouldn't play it :P The kit is just painful. Though I admit I find absolutely zero use for ink mines, in either S1 or S2, and never found the sensors/echos to be overwhelmingly useful to me for my play style anyway. Echo moreso then sensor however. I've always found sensor gives me false negatives way too often to ever consider relying on it for flushing anyone out (and if I'm going to throw one, why not throw ink instead?)

Interesting you'd compare it with Jr. The kit may be the same, and Jr. may be able to charge the armor faster (and turf better overall), but in general, I don't think they are very similar at all in how they play and what they do. I play Jr. like a slow sploosh. If you're not touching the enemy, you're not close enough. So it relies on quick flanks and rushdowns. Dynamo is 100% dependent on zoning and keeping at modest range. h

Due to the slow ttk, 100% comit to each kill, and endframes, I'm still uncertain of it as well, but I don't think I'd put it in the same box as Jr. probably ever. I dare say it's more "stategic" (tactical? ;) ) in that you can't do a blind rushdown ever, every move has to be 100% planned and choreographed.

I can't tell if my opponents just suck (badly) in TW due to Mario Odyssey and halloween, or if I'm actually doing extremely well. But I'm posting double digit kills fairly consistently in TW (still losing a lot, but generally the best killer on the team maybe 85% of the time) and I've posted double digit kills (including assists) in TW (a not too common occurrance in TW in general, other than splattershots) more with gold dynamo more than any other weapon, except maybe range blaster. It could just be a fun vacation from the realities of splatoon and all my opponents are just pushovers while I'm using gold dynamo (and then life with it will get bad when the regulars return.) Or maybe It's really clicking with me? I can't tell. Sure there's a lot of assists. I still feel like I'm trading too much (but not when I see the final stats.) I don't think I could carry with it...that's a problem...even as the kill leader, that doesn't translate to pushing the objective. And sure, I'm kind of a splat bomb main with it (hey, some competitive players do it too :P )

If it's just a fluke of the matchmaker handing me pushovers I'll enjoy it while it lasts :P We'll see if it translates to an actual main in my meta along side every other hated weapoon (even I can't love vanilla dynamo though.... :P )

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
That's great. How about the Hydra or something new?
I feel like, in terms of weapon releases, they're punting on these first few Mario weeks. They'll release something new when they believe people will actually take a break from Mario to play. Just a guess.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I feel like, in terms of weapon releases, they're punting on these first few Mario weeks. They'll release something new when they believe people will actually take a break from Mario to play. Just a guess.
I can see the logic in that, but at the same time, isn't exactly enticing for the folks who haven't bought into Mario, is it? Regardless, it's a good kit that might be reminiscent of the old e-liter in it's usage. Burst bomb snipers await!

Award

I can see the logic in that, but at the same time, isn't exactly enticing for the folks who haven't bought into Mario, is it? Regardless, it's a good kit that might be reminiscent of the old e-liter in it's usage. Burst bomb snipers await!
Somehow I could never get the feel of the jet....I picked it up only a handful of times in S1 and it never clicked for me. Maybe it'll be the first ranged weapon to finally break into the short ranged meta since it has the old burst bomb main trick of the old eliter for close range defense, but I can't help but think if you're going to burst bomb main, why not just go splattershot or tri-slosher with the short range meta? At least it's still more viable than most of the chargers :)

Then again I prefer gold dynamo to Jr since the ranged play gives more options, but....

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Somehow I could never get the feel of the jet....I picked it up only a handful of times in S1 and it never clicked for me. Maybe it'll be the first ranged weapon to finally break into the short ranged meta since it has the old burst bomb main trick of the old eliter for close range defense, but I can't help but think if you're going to burst bomb main, why not just go splattershot or tri-slosher with the short range meta? At least it's still more viable than most of the chargers :)

Then again I prefer gold dynamo to Jr since the ranged play gives more options, but....
Just out curiosity, what's the range that everyone considers the line between different ranges? If we break it into thirds, that would mean a weapon would have to have a range of 67 or above to be considered long range, but I personally consider (probably wrongly) the group of weapons starting at 62 (mini splatling, rapid blaster, L-3) as the breaking point between mid-range and long range.

Even if we make 67 the breaking point, guns like the .96, SSP, RBP and dualie squelchers have been seeing a lot of use in solo queues -- with the SSP and RBP seeing tournament play beside some super high level chargers.

I agree the meta definitely trends toward short to midrange weapons, but I don't think it's as extinct or endangered as it actually feels. It's just not likely to see multiple long rangers on a single competitive team per match, which brings down the overall numbers. Releasing more and more true long rangers should really help that, too.

Award

Just out curiosity, what's the range that everyone considers the line between different ranges? If we break it into thirds, that would mean a weapon would have to have a range of 67 or above to be considered long range, but I personally consider (probably wrongly) the group of weapons starting at 62 (mini splatling, rapid blaster, L-3) as the breaking point between mid-range and long range.

Even if we make 67 the breaking point, guns like the .96, SSP, RBP and dualie squelchers have been seeing a lot of use in solo queues -- with the SSP and RBP seeing tournament play beside some super high level chargers.

I agree the meta definitely trends toward short to midrange weapons, but I don't think it's as extinct or endangered as it actually feels. It's just not likely to see multiple long rangers on a single competitive team per match, which brings down the overall numbers. Releasing more and more true long rangers should really help that, too.
I certainly don't speak for the meta (my signature list should make that plenty obvious :P ), and I don't measure things by "firing range lines"....I think I've visited the firing range maybe 3 times in S2. I just play them and learn them by "feel". My own categorizing would be that yes, .96, SSP, RBP RnB, are all "range." Duelie squelchers,....AFAIK their range isn't so different from SSP, but they feel to me like they have less effective range. Mini and L3 I'd consider part of the short-mid meta.....H3 and heavy are "mid to long" (I"d consider heavy to be long if hydra were not a thing. In these small maps it feels long. The confusion of how to differentiate hydra from it when the heavy already reaches end to end of the midfield of most maps is probably why it's so delayed.)

Award

Wait, wait, people are wanting Sting Ray specials nowadays? *is hipster*

*holds up "Hydra Splatling 2018" sign*

Maybe with Sting Ray? :p
And then when they nerf Stingray again everyone will be crying :P

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
And then when they nerf Stingray again everyone will be crying :p
I don't feel stingray needs a nerfs it is still really slow and as long as you are cautious most times you can survive and only 1 player usually dies from it.
Also on the note of awaited weapons...
:wst_charge_quick01:
Autobombs/ Baller (aka a competent new squiffer)

P.S there was more to say on dynamos but it was all deleted
Here are the bullet points
- You were right though they share the kits they players are very different, sadly I do feel many like myself just presume they are the same and give it up.
-I prefer mines cause this is actually a weapon that can actually act on it's mines with this weapon, plus it has stingray to push out longer ranged foes
-Lastly All run speed on a dynamo is pretty fun was an accidental gear setup but pivoting feels better and is slightly amusing

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Unless there's a stampede of unicorn shaped dedicated servers, an inky goddess blessing us with better netcode, or an innocuous mundane update inadvertently buffs the Sting Ray, it will likely (hopefully) never get a nerf.

And in such a situation, I may finally have an actual main: the Sting Ray. ¬¬;

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Unless there's a stampede of unicorn shaped dedicated servers, an inky goddess blessing us with better netcode, or an innocuous mundane update inadvertently buffs the Sting Ray, it will likely (hopefully) never get a nerf.

And in such a situation, I may finally have an actual main: the Sting Ray. ¬¬;
The problem with the sting ray is that it's the special where its performance is most affected by lag/tick rate (although, teleporting ink jets are saying, "Hold my beer!" to that one). Sometimes you can stay in the sting ray's grasp forever and not die. Sometimes it grazes you, and you're instadead. So when you die from a sting ray that, for some reason, you were unable to avoid, the natural reaction is to want it nerfed. When it feels like you shot your sting ray at an enemy for a billion seconds and they didn't die, the natural reaction is to want it buffed.

It's the only special where you have to hold your shot on the enemy continuously to murder them, and that's the entire reason for why it often feels so weird.

Award

I don't feel stingray needs a nerfs it is still really slow and as long as you are cautious most times you can survive and only 1 player usually dies from it.
Also on the note of awaited weapons...
:wst_charge_quick01:
Autobombs/ Baller (aka a competent new squiffer)

P.S there was more to say on dynamos but it was all deleted
Here are the bullet points
- You were right though they share the kits they players are very different, sadly I do feel many like myself just presume they are the same and give it up.
-I prefer mines cause this is actually a weapon that can actually act on it's mines with this weapon, plus it has stingray to push out longer ranged foes
-Lastly All run speed on a dynamo is pretty fun was an accidental gear setup but pivoting feels better and is slightly amusing
I've still been playing it regularly in my mix (TW, which is all I seem to be playing these days :P ) , and I'm still of a mixed mind on it. I do seem to do very well with it. yet there are plenty of situations where I feel it would have gone better with a flingza. Yet then I switch to flingza and start missing that reliable range on the horizontal. Personally though it "can use" inkmines, it's really hard to beat splat bombs as a sub....pretty much at all, as they can be effectively used as an alternate main weapon which, the dynamo, really needs. the ability to cover both the rear escape around and obstacle and then move in with the impenetrable tidal wave of ink from the front, or drive-by-splatting by throwing bombs over a ledge to buy your team time to close in or take a sniper out while just refilling can't really be replaced by "here I marked you and tapped you slightly" :P I'm still kind of ambivalent about the ink armor though. Good team support but kind of useless on the slow dynamo since they can usually break your armor and splat you by the time you wind up. And lag kills with a dynamo remain just plain funny. Almost as funny as chargers when you get a splat by accident while inking :P

Hmm, run speed....that would be fun, but I fear without a main ink saver sub, ink saver main, ink recovery, I'd run out of ink all the time. Dynamo, like range blaster, I feel I need to keep as much ink ability as possible. I forego mobility and stealth for more flicks.

The problem with the sting ray is that it's the special where its performance is most affected by lag/tick rate (although, teleporting ink jets are saying, "Hold my beer!" to that one). Sometimes you can stay in the sting ray's grasp forever and not die. Sometimes it grazes you, and you're instadead. So when you die from a sting ray that, for some reason, you were unable to avoid, the natural reaction is to want it nerfed. When it feels like you shot your sting ray at an enemy for a billion seconds and they didn't die, the natural reaction is to want it buffed.

It's the only special where you have to hold your shot on the enemy continuously to murder them, and that's the entire reason for why it often feels so weird.
Yeah that's the thing with it. Any time I use it it takes like 10 ticks minimum to kill anyone ever. But I've often been killed in 3 ticks or less by one.

Of course it comes back to the core netcode problem: Technically Splatoon/2 is a bad game, but the gameplay is so fun we tend not to notice it's actually a really bad game :P As a single player game it would be amazing. As an online game it kind of fails at the main tentpole of online games: Actually showing on the client side what the server side thinks is going on. So we just kind of put up with pretending it's not bad because we get hooked to using the admittedly fun weapons, even though we're applying to double-think to not notice they don't actually work right. And that also comes back to the thing with "too many weapons that can't be balanced." It's like they decided them based on what would be fun based on single player game thinking without thinking of how that plays out on the real internet. With Eguchi as a producer, never forget the same dude that thinks Tom Nook plays fair, made this game. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom