Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Finally, the American Splatfest, and it's a great theme! This is exactly what we needed :D It's at the usual time, next Friday, 11/17 starting at 9PM pacific and going for 24 hours.

Unless my friends mostly go otherwise, I'm thinking sci-fi. Either way, please let Shifty station be good this time!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
It's official: NoA doesn't get a mediocre food splatfest, we get Sci-Fi vs. Marina's fantasy of winning Fantasy

I'm guessing we might get the Shifty Station with the chokepoint NoE got. It's gonna be less fantasy and more horror!

Saber

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Okay I see the complaint, but I am all for a weapon that has a kit unlike other weapons in the game

This inkbrush nouveau has the potential to be very scary, place a mine in a flank and the moment a poor inkling steps foot in it their done
Cause between the ninja squid, natural speed of the inkbrush, and the baller special you got a super fast preda-brush hunting you down and appearing where you least expect it to. It sounds fun though now I have to decide between haunt or ninja squid (both of which I have no good gear)

The Hydra or another Splatling variant is likely next, and then a dulies variant, or a shooter if they troll us yet again.

This splatfest on the other hand doesn't disappoint, fantasy vs sci-fi!
Star Wars or knights and dragons...
who am I kidding? 3/4 of Splatoon US are going to support the scifi subconsciously just cause of the release of the Last airbender Jedi coming up this december

Award

It's official: NoA doesn't get a mediocre food splatfest, we get Sci-Fi vs. Marina's fantasy of winning Fantasy

I'm guessing we might get the Shifty Station with the chokepoint NoE got. It's gonna be less fantasy and more horror!

Marina is Team Fantasy. I mean....really......at this point they just need to collaborate with Tamsoft and do a Splatoon-Senran Kagura crossover starring Marina. They're actively running with the meme now.

Next splatfest: Amaterasu vs. Mara.

Okay I see the complaint, but I am all for a weapon that has a kit unlike other weapons in the game

This inkbrush nouveau has the potential to be very scary, place a mine in a flank and the moment a poor inkling steps foot in it their done
Cause between the ninja squid, natural speed of the inkbrush, and the baller special you got a super fast preda-brush hunting you down and appearing where you least expect it to. It sounds fun though now I have to decide between haunt or ninja squid (both of which I have no good gear)

The Hydra or another Splatling variant is likely next, and then a dulies variant, or a shooter if they troll us yet again.

This splatfest on the other hand doesn't disappoint, fantasy vs sci-fi. Star Wars or knights and dragons... who am I kidding 3/4 of every geek are going to support the scifi just cause of the realease of the Last airbender Jedi
Seriously, what IS it with you and inkmines? :P They're awful! Just admit it! I mean even hipsters can admit defeat sometimes :P The real problem of inkmines is that they can explode with ink before anyone gets near them....and usually do. Especially in these tiny maps.

HOWEVER.....you've now convinced me to at least buy it. Hard to see, just like dynamo, though, how that could be better than splat bomb entrapment, the single best sub in the game. Sorry team....you're going to be losing a lot of matches.

As for splatfest....dunno....it could be Metroid vs Zelda in some minds. Zelda wins every time.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Seriously, what IS it with you and inkmines? :p They're awful! Just admit it! I mean even hipsters can admit defeat sometimes :p The real problem of inkmines is that they can explode with ink before anyone gets near them....and usually do. Especially in these tiny maps.

HOWEVER.....you've now convinced me to at least buy it. Hard to see, just like dynamo, though, how that could be better than splat bomb entrapment, the single best sub in the game. Sorry team....you're going to be losing a lot of matches.
I like ink mines a lot! I stand with Saber on this subject... Just not on a weapon with zero range and not even a special that utilizes any kind of range. That's just me, though.

Reactions: the

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

This inkbrush is going to have the same issue as ink mines themselves, in that you need map control to reliably use it. I can see the value of the tactic you mention but the moment the match goes south and the enemy gains ground, your ability to use mines for ambushes evaporates. Other ink mine weapons don't have to be physically present to capitalize on the explosion.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
A major issue the Inkbrush Nouveau will run into, much like it did in the first game, is enemy map coverage. Especially compared to other brushes.

Doesn't matter if you're inking or attacking, you can easily be shut out or kept beyond arms' length if there's a sea of enemy ink around and/or that sea of enemy ink is defended.

Saber

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Award
I defend the inkmine cause I was a big miner back in vanilla Splatoon
It was a little hipster but I spent a whole lot of time figuring out different technique to use it and got to the point where I was going 18 splat with around 1/2 being splat from mines.

Then it got one of the most shameless nerf to a sub weapon that wasn't great to begin with which really stings to me and I am hopeful will be buffed (though I think octolings might come before that happens)

@Dessgeega The main way inkmine are use now does require turf control and it works really well when you can gain that control (which is why they put it on these weapons) though that is the big problem with mines it can fall apart the moment they gain an inch of ground.

I am curious if you can cancel the swing of the inkbrush into a mine to do a faux burst cancel attack

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I kinda said that as a joke because, let's face it, it's a meme weapon at that point, but I unironically like the thing
Goolloom is the only person I trust to actually use that thing. The only one. Yes, that discounts Dude, who uses it like a lethargic squiffer :P

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787

Finally, the American Splatfest, and it's a great theme! This is exactly what we needed :D It's at the usual time, next Friday, 11/17 starting at 9PM pacific and going for 24 hours.

Unless my friends mostly go otherwise, I'm thinking sci-fi. Either way, please let Shifty station be good this time!
As a major Star Wars geek, Team Sci-Fi for me too.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I shall main it. See you all in therapy
Salt thread is down the hall and second left.

So far I've had a decent first session with the Inkbrush Nouveau... no, really.

Yet it was turf war. And it wasn't 'supa aggro turf war 4 keps yo', but still whenever anyone engaged me I could only ever initiate my vroom VROOM protocols while screaming "Ahh~! Someone's shooting at me! Runaway! Runaway!" because I have next to nothing to counter or defend with and sometime I need my ink less for an ink mine and more for a getaway.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That's one of the most logical Splatfest themes ever. It's weird it took them until Splatoon 2 to do this one.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I don’t know if we’ve seen the end of weapon variants just yet. Unless there’s a brand new Slosher type we’ve unheard of I’d expect to see one of those variants pop up either next week or at least within the next month. The only Slosher we’ve had is the Machine (which despite loving it to bits moved on to mess with other weapons) back in August, so we’re long overdue a Slosher (and some Dualies, but I’m pegging a new type to be released with a Nintendo Direct in the next 2 months).

It’s too painful getting 1 weapon a week, nothing changes unless the weapon is miraculously amazing in the short ranged meta and I’m dying for more maps because a lot blend into one giant map (The Reef, Inkblot, Starfish are all very similar in design and it’s so dull) and we need more unique maos to stand out above the rest. Splatoon 1 only had 5 at launch, but they were all distinct and unique from the starting batch compared to 2. Urchin was very closed and narrow, Blackbelly was wide, low and curvy, Arowana was narrow with a high mid, side snipe perches and a back alley, Saltspray is, well, Saltspray and Walleye was a fairly flat map with huge emphasis on the middle with a few side alleys. In 2 about half the starting maps were identical. The stand out maps for me (that aren’t returning maps) are Musselforge, Snapper Canal, Manta Maria and Humpback, which isn’t very good when you consider 2 of those weren’t there at launch and we have 2 maps that are generally disliked from 1 (even though I love Port Mackerel). I feel like the larger emphasis on locking spawns away from the enemy in Turf has led to very similar styled maps and in turn, not only encouraged the short range meta, but created a very forgetable game experience and samey strategies across the board. In fact I just remembered Sturgeon Shipyard existed as I wrote this.

So I hope there’s a good plan coming for this game. I’d love to see creative “out there” map designs the likes of Museum, Mahi, Bluefin to shake things up and give us those unique ways of strategising to win Splat Zones/Tower/Rainmaker. On top of that it’d be nice to see the “out there” weapons that have extra gimmicks (like Tetra allegedly having 4 conseceutive rolls) soon. I have a feeling it could be this month where we get the 2.0.0 update as the game got updated early October with the next patch being promised end of November, which is clearly to give them scope for sneakily adding more maps/weapons/gear and to ensure they get the balancing adjustments right for everything. For now though, I’ll stick to the occasional session for new weapons, Splatfests and whenever I feel like popping on.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
It seems Japan's Splatfest is getting the Flight vs Invisibility Shifty Station.

Saber

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Ansible @SilverBlue-Neko
After trying it out a little I feel this weapon seems to be a road blocker/ bait in it's style and it is fun in moderatation.
Inkmine serve to keep turf or the objective covered and also as a trap so that you can quickly attack and force them to flee into a mine or move away from the mine to forced not to be wiped.
Baller pushes players into other specials in a dominating match and if the team is wiped it can force players to focus their attention on you and away from objectives.
Lastly the brush allow you to taunt the objective and then quickly get back out or continuously stall in modes like splat zones and rainmaker.

Is it great? No not even close (so much salt from dying to aerosprays and splattershot jr.)
I really prefer the other inkbrush, and favor octobrush overall in this class but it style is unique and I can get behind that even if I am not that big a fan of it.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
As someone who recently got into the Inkbrush, Inkbrush Nouveau is disappointing. Once you lose control, that's it, gg. There's no getting back in there. Now...if it was Burst Bombs and Baller? I would use the heck out of that! Oh well. :(

Edit: if I was able to chose Inkbrush Nouveau kits Burst Bombs and Baller because that'd be awesome, or I would probably do Sprinkler and Inkstorm. The OG Inkbrush from the first game given new life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom