Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was gonna check the Inkbrush N out quickly and then move on to play some Gold Dynamo and the new Squelcher, but I ended up playing only with the Inkbrush N! I didn't really like the loudout on paper, but I think I actually prefer it to the regular Inkbrush.

The Inkmines are one of my least favorite subs, but if there's any weapon they go together with well, it's this one. So while I would normally vastly prefer Splat Bombs, it works here. And I've always seen the Splashdown as an inferior variation on the Baller, so it certainly has that going for it.

Playing with Joycons doesn't really work with mashing the ZR button too well, though. Thankfully you don't have to aim with the Inkbrush, but still...

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
And I've always seen the Splashdown as an inferior variation on the Baller
Oh man. You sure? Have you PLAYED many Splashdown weapons? It's hands down the best special in the game. There's a reason Splooshes and Splattershots are running amuck so much, and it's that dang panic button Splashdown.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh man. You sure? Have you PLAYED many Splashdown weapons? It's hands down the best special in the game. There's a reason Splooshes and Splattershots are running amuck so much, and it's that dang panic button Splashdown.
It's not bad, but I consider the Baller one of the best ones currently.

I find that as far as using it as a panic button goes, it's not very reliable for me. It's pretty easy for an opponent to finish you off before you had the chance to splash down. And it's probably the special I have the least trouble with going up against (well, apart from the Curling Bomb launcher but that might be because of inept players).

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I don’t know if we’ve seen the end of weapon variants just yet. Unless there’s a brand new Slosher type we’ve unheard of I’d expect to see one of those variants pop up either next week or at least within the next month. The only Slosher we’ve had is the Machine (which despite loving it to bits moved on to mess with other weapons) back in August, so we’re long overdue a Slosher (and some Dualies, but I’m pegging a new type to be released with a Nintendo Direct in the next 2 months).
In all honesty what gets me the most is that before the game got released, it has been said that all the main weapons from the first game would return. What we didn't know is that they would hold back on the old main weapons, for god knows how long because they are releasing them one at a time each week. At that point I don't really care for the brand new weapons, I just want all the old weapons to finally return. It shouldn't take 4+ months to get the content we already had, it's insulting
I'm sorry, but as a what might be one of the best Hydra mains in North America (More than one person can attest to that) it's disheartening. Sincerely, a salty Kong waiting for his bananas (a.k.a Hydra)
My apologies again for the salt, hope you understand, hehe

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
In all honesty what gets me the most is that before the game got released, it has been said that all the main weapons from the first game would return. What we didn't know is that they would hold back on the old main weapons, for god knows how long because they are releasing them one at a time each week. At that point I don't really care for the brand new weapons, I just want all the old weapons to finally return. It shouldn't take 4+ months to get the content we already had, it's insulting
I'm sorry, but as a what might be one of the best Hydra mains in North America (More than one person can attest to that) it's disheartening. Sincerely, a salty Kong waiting for his bananas (a.k.a Hydra)
My apologies again for the salt, hope you understand, hehe
This. It would have been one thing if they released something like five old weapons a week. Even that is a little insulting. We don't NEED weekly weapon releases. What we NEED is all the old weapons to have been available at launch, then drop new new weapons once a month or so. At the very least, we should have had the vanilla versions of all weapons at launch.

It's confusing because they already have the content available, and yet we have to wait a year or more for the game to become THE GAME. What if Zelda had released ten new quests a week instead of giving us the entire game at launch? That's what's going on here.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's something to keep players coming back to the game. For people who are super hardcore that obviously isn't a thing, but that's just one part of the playerbase.

Personally, I like it. If they had every weapon at release, I probably wouldn't have bothered with some of them, but since they're coming out periodically, I'm focused on them more.

Although I too can be frustrated when I have to wait for some of my favorites, so I understand people being upset. But tbh, there's not that many games that have everything in it that its predecessor had, so I can't complain too much.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
So I finally got a chance to play on Blackbelly Skatepark. I've already read all of the dislike about it. I just wanna talk about my experiences with it. I had an alright time with the stage. I saw how it's a close range stage, but Moray was also in rotation, so I just used the new, more aggressive Jet Squelcher. I was still able to utilize its range well enough. There were plenty of points where I could stand around and pick off people while taking advantage of my range. All I really had to do was be careful when going around corners, and be mobile, because I can see myself being flanked pretty easily. It's just that I wasn't aggressive enough to make the best of the stage, so I often lost.

I also finally got to try out the Custom Jet Squelcher, and I really like it. Sadly Burst Bombs work better than Toxic Mist at stopping enemies, and they use less ink. Stingray was also nice for both people across the map, and people trying to ambush me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's something to keep players coming back to the game. For people who are super hardcore that obviously isn't a thing, but that's just one part of the playerbase.

Personally, I like it. If they had every weapon at release, I probably wouldn't have bothered with some of them, but since they're coming out periodically, I'm focused on them more.

Although I too can be frustrated when I have to wait for some of my favorites, so I understand people being upset. But tbh, there's not that many games that have everything in it that its predecessor had, so I can't complain too much.
You weren't here for the first game, right? Imagine if the weapon you spent 500 hours with was promised to return and then was arbitrarily held back for months on end. You don't have to be "super hardcore" to be seething at that point.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You weren't here for the first game, right? Imagine if the weapon you spent 500 hours with was promised to return and then was arbitrarily held back for months on end. You don't have to be "super hardcore" to be seething at that point.
Here as in this forum or here as in Splatoon? Because I got Splatoon 1 at launch and it's one of my most played games ever (as is Splatoon 2).

If you've spend 500 hours on a weapon in Splatoon 1, you're 'super hardcore'. This is simply there to cater to more casual players. That's also a kind of player they want invested into the game for a long-time, and this is a good way to do that. I bet there's a lot of players who came back to the game to check some new stuff out, who would've perhaps left the game after its launch period otherwise.

And honestly, it's a bit entitled to become "seething" over a weapon in a video game.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
It’s bad for the competitive scene especially. And there’s no two ways about that. It’s bad.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
That's only one part of their audience though.
Listen, they’re trying to make competitive Splatoon a thing, so they shouldn’t do things to alienate that part. It’s free advertising for Nintendo. THEY get more out of competitive scenes than they put into them. It’s a small part that can have a big effect on a game’s popularity.

I also take a certain amount of offense to calling people entitled for wanting to content that already exists — that we already PAID for — but Nintendo is holding back for no other reason than to create the false image that they’re gifting us content. They are not gifting us content. We paid for that content. It is our content.

And many people find the $60 (plus cost of a Switch) to be a big purchase. For many, this is one of the few games they can afford. Holding back content they already paid for is a slap in their face. It’s more entitled to think so little of that cost that you dismiss their complaints.

Just because a complaint isn’t an issue for you doesn’t mean it isn’t valid. Please have the smallest shred of empathy for your fellow man.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Listen, they’re trying to make competitive Splatoon a thing, so they shouldn’t do things to alienate that part. It’s free advertising for Nintendo. THEY get more out of competitive scenes than they put into them. It’s a small part that can have a big effect on a game’s popularity.

I also take a certain amount of offense to calling people entitled for wanting to content that already exists — that we already PAID for — but Nintendo is holding back for no other reason than to create the false image that they’re gifting us content. They are not gifting us content. We paid for that content. It is our content.

And many people find the $60 (plus cost of a Switch) to be a big purchase. For many, this is one of the few games they can afford. Holding back content they already paid for is a slap in their face. It’s more entitled to think so little of that cost that you dismiss their complaints.

Just because a complaint isn’t an issue for you doesn’t mean it isn’t valid. Please have the smallest shred of empathy for your fellow man.
Who says I'm lacking empathy? Hell, I said I myself have experienced the want for a weapon that's not out yet. I objected to the usage of the word "seething". And honestly, 60 bucks for a game that most serious players have probably played dozens, if not, hundreds of hours isn't suddenly a steep price just because there are still some weapons to be released. I know the worth of a game is more than just the hours of time put into it, but c'mon.

And as much as I understand what you're trying to say with your post, the fact still remains that the more casual scene is ALSO something to take into account. Hell, I myself am more invested in the game because of the weekly updates, and I have certainly played enough to not consider myself a casual fan. It's fun to talk about, it's fun to see what happens to them after their release weekend, and sometimes new weapons make me reconsider ones that were already out, or weapons that I ignored in Splatoon 1. MY Splatoon 2 experience would've been worse if all the S1 weapons would've been there from the get-go, and I think that goes for a lot of people.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Who says I'm lacking empathy? Hell, I said I myself have experienced the want for a weapon that's not out yet. I objected to the usage of the word "seething". And honestly, 60 bucks for a game that most serious players have probably played dozens, if not, hundreds of hours isn't suddenly a steep price just because there are still some weapons to be released. I know the worth of a game is more than just the hours of time put into it, but c'mon.

And as much as I understand what you're trying to say with your post, the fact still remains that the more casual scene is ALSO something to take into account. Hell, I myself am more invested in the game because of the weekly updates, and I have certainly played enough to not consider myself a casual fan. It's fun to talk about, it's fun to see what happens to them after their release weekend, and sometimes new weapons make me reconsider ones that were already out, or weapons that I ignored in Splatoon 1. MY Splatoon 2 experience would've been worse if all the S1 weapons would've been there from the get-go, and I think that goes for a lot of people.
If all the weapons are available from the start, it's your choice to use or not use what weapons are available. Maybe your experience would have been worse if they were all there, but that's because of your personal choices. The rest of us don't have a choice. We can't suddenly decide to use weapons that are IN THE GAME but not available to us to actually use. There's a difference there, and I'm sure you can see it. Your experience would be worse because of something that's your choice. Our experience is worse for something that's not our choice.

We paid $60 after being told all the weapons would return. That's not untrue, but it's also not completely true. They sold us the game at launch on a half-lie, which really isn't fair. They told us this before it launched, and we bought this game based on that half-lie.

And I say you're lacking empathy. That's who.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
If all the weapons are available from the start, it's your choice to use or not use what weapons are available. Maybe your experience would have been worse if they were all there, but that's because of your personal choices. The rest of us don't have a choice. We can't suddenly decide to use weapons that are IN THE GAME but not available to us to actually use. There's a difference there, and I'm sure you can see it. Your experience would be worse because of something that's your choice. Our experience is worse for something that's not our choice.

We paid $60 after being told all the weapons would return. That's not untrue, but it's also not completely true. They sold us the game at launch on a half-lie, which really isn't fair. They told us this before it launched, and we bought this game based on that half-lie.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you have all the old weapons and the options in the first place, literally nothing stops you from picking them up at any given time, and the old players who used those weapons could play them right off the bat. Everyone wins.
In this case, the veterans gets shafted for, well, playing the new game, since they don't even have the option to use their favorites, yet they already are in the game, just locked being a time gate.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you have all the old weapons and the options in the first place, literally nothing stops you from picking them up at any given time.
That has less to do with 'personal' choices than you think. That's why I tried to explain as well as I could why I personally enjoy it. That's not a choice, that's just how that goes, and how it'll be for a lot of players that aren't on this board probably. If you get everything in one batch, you're not going to treat them the same way as with these weekly updates. At least, someone like me wouldn't, and, again, a lot of more casual player wouldn't.

We paid $60 after being told all the weapons would return. That's not untrue, but it's also not completely true. They sold us the game at launch on a half-lie, which really isn't fair.
Honestly, it all depends on your expectations. They said all weapons would be returning at one point, and they release them every week. From that, I personally expected them to take a while with them. So for me, I don't see no lie at all. If you got a different vibe from that, that's too bad and I can imagine people getting impatient if they had different expectations than me.
I already explained why this is a load of bull.
I'm just trying to have a normal conversation here, I don't think I deserve to be called out like this?

Honestly, a lot of people enjoy the weekly weapon updates. Yes, even though they are already finished and some of them are old weapons. I know that that is not the popular opinion over here, but surely we can have a normal discussion about that.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you have all the old weapons and the options in the first place, literally nothing stops you from picking them up at any given time, and the old players who used those weapons could play them right off the bat. Everyone wins.
In this case, the veterans gets shafted for, well, playing the new game, since they don't even have the option to use their favorites, yet they already are in the game, just locked being a time gate.
I have a lot of respect for you guys, but saying that someone is unsympathetic is a little out there,

Iunderstand the situation since 3 weapons I love the l-3 nozxlehose D, the neo splash o'matic, and the new squiffer aren't out yet, but we don't want to let the salt brew toxicity.

Honestly as @MINKUKEL brought out the competitie team is only 1 side of splatoon there is a casual side, and throwing all these weapons at
someone who is new to a game is overwelhming.

By spacing them out it gives players a chance to work on learning a new weapon, and swing how it works with their style.
It also give us in comp. scene a chance to see how much it has changed and what this tool works well with before we actually have a chance to use it.

Also there is the simple fact might be that this game might not have the capability of support that weapon.
It might have a bug on some maps, be very laggy, or simply might need other weapons to be patched in order to work effectively in the game.

I mean if the hydra had a 3 shot kill and it's previous range will it impact the use of
Brella users, duelies and chargers?
Or if they nerf it's range or speed could it handle rushdown attacks like those of a tri-slosher or a splattershot
Likely it will so they might need to make sure those or other weapons can handle such a big change and still viable....unless everyone wants another tri losher incident.

In the end all I am saying is these thing take time we don't have to like it, and we certainly we don't have to take it out on each other. All we can do is work with what we got an be patient and hope that the splat devs can work things out so our weapons are in the game and as enjoyable as they were in the original.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
That has less to do with 'personal' choices than you think. That's why I tried to explain as well as I could why I personally enjoy it. That's not a choice, that's just how that goes, and how it'll be for a lot of players that aren't on this board probably. If you get everything in one batch, you're not going to treat them the same way as with these weekly updates. At least, someone like me wouldn't, and, again, a lot of more casual player wouldn't.
Eh, I can see what you're trying to say there. Getting a large selection of weapons from the get-go including beasts like the Hydra (and I don't know what else was already there on release since I dived in a tad later) can feel a tad overwhelming for casuals, which do account for a good amount of the overall playerbase. Your view is further supported by the Paradox of Choice, so I give you that.

The reason fellow sufferers jumped at you the way they did is frustration speaking, as there's been lots of variants being released before base weapons, with only variants having gone live during the last three weeks and even the Japanese playerbase is getting fed up with this practice at this point. Lots of people are getting impatient on the case of the Hydra as it's one of the base weapons still barred off from them four months into the game, so we're not strictly speaking "False advertisement" vs "Excectations gone wrong" anymore, to be perfectly honest with you, but a release schedule gone wrong.

This is strictly my opinion here, I can see why variants may be preferred with the same principle of "not overwhelming the playerbase" in mind, but after four months, you may want to expect them to finally release the Krak- I mean, Hydra. Other than this nitpick even I'm having at this point, I'm fine with the 1 weapon per week pace. I'm just scratching my head over the order as well is all. Especially since Splatoon 2 has been advertised with e-sports in mind, though outside of the update schedule there's more things keeping it from being viable in that aspect, but that's a topic for another day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom