Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Good news to all you Hydra lovers!

Like you, I've been waiting anxiously for the release of the mighty Hydra.

I've been having battery issues with my Switch. I just sent it in for repairs. It will probably come back in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm now fully expecting the Hydra to be released on Friday, followed by a nerfing the following week.

Enjoy!
Things are looking up! Unless it comes back and the Hydra still hasn’t dropped. Then things are looking dire!

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Considering a fair few weapons lost their Splatoon 1 buffs and Nintendo’s “KILL ALL LONG RANGE WEAPONS” mindset it’ll be amusing and tragic simultaneously if Hydra no longer has a damage perk with full charged shots and they do something like reduce the max range and force you to full charge for max range. Another reason that could happen is due to how dominant Custom Hydra was at the end of Splatoon the game that never existed alongside E-Litre.

I have seriously been considering going back to the first game to compare the both, but my ZR button is pretty worn out (darn you Sloshers and Octobrush) and I’m looking for work (which will help either pay for a repair or a new Wii U to perform a system transfer). I seriously miss maps like Museum, Mahi, Triggerfish and Bluefin (as frustrating as Bluefin can be). Museum is hands down one of the best maps in 1 (alongside Triggerfish) in my opinion, it had space, a cool but fairly unobtrusive gimmick and matches were always pretty fun (not to mention the whole map blocked Inkzookas lol). Triggerfish was a great concept and made Tower Control interesting, Zones usually had stalemates and swaps, though a fair few were lockout spawn camps and Rainmaker had a 2 way decision mad dash to take lead. We all know what Bluefin was like and Mahi was interesting for the water mechanic, though Zones suffered from easy lockouts and sniper/Hydra dominance. I’m not looking forward to the return of these maps if they get the Splatoon 2 treatment of copy paste map layouts.

On brighter news I expect the next patch to be out next week, maybe the game will be more interesting to play once that drops. We’re approaching that “end of November” ETA we were given, so possibly a large update incoming?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Since I SUSPECT the weapon will release Thursday night ahead of NA Splatfest (as they did for the EU Splatfest a few weeks back), any predictions from my fellow squidkids?

I still think it'll be the hydra spl---

*Spacefunmars gets pulled into an abyss of evil Gods for trying to speak the name of this ancient, rumored instrument of destruction.*

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
I predict Slosher Deco will be the next one. If not, N-Zap '89.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
On brighter news I expect the next patch to be out next week, maybe the game will be more interesting to play once that drops. We’re approaching that “end of November” ETA we were given, so possibly a large update incoming?
I think we'll get the update in about 8 or 9 days. However, I expect it to be version 1.5 and not 2.0, as we would have gotten advertising for the latter by now I think. Hopefully we get some new gear soon.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I have to admit I would like a gear update by now, just to make cold blooded viable, make haunt and thermal ink better and more useful, and simply add more gear.

I am expecting a hydra actually that or a slosher should be next, both both have not had releases and have few variants, so thst is what I am expecting to be out
That being said they could release the zimi and just troll all of Squidboards......

Also with that being said I have also been busy lately updating and reviving the player archeypes thread so be sure to check that out

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Considering a fair few weapons lost their Splatoon 1 buffs and Nintendo’s “KILL ALL LONG RANGE WEAPONS” mindset it’ll be amusing and tragic simultaneously if Hydra no longer has a damage perk with full charged shots and they do something like reduce the max range and force you to full charge for max range. Another reason that could happen is due to how dominant Custom Hydra was at the end of Splatoon the game that never existed alongside E-Litre.
I actually fully expect hydra to be heavily nerfed, and have expected so all along. Requiring full charge for full range, and removing the damage buff on full charge are, to me, an absolute given for the return of hydra. Given their handling of chargers, anything else was never even possible.

I wouldn't doubt slower fire rate as well. Something around JS speed sounds about right....

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Another reason that could happen is due to how dominant Custom Hydra was at the end of Splatoon the game that never existed alongside E-Litre.
But here's a thing.... the Hydra was far from being dominant in the first game because E-Liters, or even chargers in general were super dominant and were the hard counter to the Hydra.
So with chargers being in literally every single match, the Hydra was always at a disadvantage for having to face a charger, which lead to it not being used much

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
But here's a thing.... the Hydra was far from being dominant in the first game because E-Liters, or even chargers in general were super dominant and were the hard counter to the Hydra.
So with chargers being in literally every single match, the Hydra was always at a disadvantage for having to face a charger, which lead to it not being used much
Have to wonder if this could be a reason they overlook such a hard nerf from S1 to S2. At least, I hope so.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Have to wonder if this could be a reason they overlook such a hard nerf from S1 to S2. At least, I hope so.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the E-Liter as that was such a dominant weapon in Splatoon 1 it had to get toned down.
Not only they had the longest range in the game by a fairly large margin, they had amazing kits to boot as well, on top of Damage Up being a thing you had pretty much the best weapon in the game
The Splat Chargers/Splatterscope remain mostly unchanged and the only indirect nerf they got was the removal of Damage Up

Award

I'm not sure if you are talking about the E-Liter as that was such a dominant weapon in Splatoon 1 it had to get toned down.
Not only they had the longest range in the game by a fairly large margin, they had amazing kits to boot as well, on top of Damage Up being a thing you had pretty much the best weapon in the game
The Splat Chargers/Splatterscope remain mostly unchanged and the only indirect nerf they got was the removal of Damage Up
Dmgup hasn't been a thing for chargers since the latter days of S1 though. They nerfed eliter hard with that and then the nerfs kept coming. Splat chargers are pretty heavily nerfed though as well now. The delayed projectile travel time ANNIHILATES chargers, at any meaningful range, and coupled with lag is a disaster. The whole nature of chargers in S1 was insta-kill, and that's gone. But the "small map" treatment, and barricaded map alterations for range, plus the introduction (and then BUFFING) of dodge rolls, and general movement speed increases in this game are all heavy handed nerfs affecting chargers at greater portion than any other weapon class. Because the effect of the map nerfs, speed nerfs, and direct nerfs making using the range on a charger fairly useless now, the only way to really use chargers is in close, making them very disadvantaged to most other weapons, and making squiffer and tuber range not a real handicap (and their mobility an advantage) compared to other chargers.

The chargers won't pose much threat to hydras this time around, so I fully expect along with the general "range=bad" motif, hydra will be nerfed (or at least initially presented int it's original form before the buff, just as SSPro was.)

Award

I'm betting the weapon we've al been waiting for will release tomorrow. . .

yeah, that's right

NEO SPLOOSH-O-MATIC!!!

. . .
It sucks to remember that I'll have to leave in a couple months
Holy heck, I'm practically the leader of the new revoloosh at this point and even *I'M* not excited for this thing at this point.... :P This is what Splatoon 2 has done to me. I feel no joy at my favorite weapons. I'm dead inside. :P

Yeah....I mean $20/yr isn't anything like Sony's horrible pricing.....but still stings.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sony's online infrastructure is actually fairly good unlike Nintendo's, though. Plus, unlike some here seem to believe, I don't think they will rewrite a significant portion of Splatoon 2's code to change the online to servers (not to mention servers also have problems), so... Not much will change. Oh well, $20 is definitely not that expensive.

Knowing Nintendo, when they announced paid online, I expected $50/month or something.

Award

Sony's online infrastructure is actually fairly good unlike Nintendo's, though. Plus, unlike some here seem to believe, I don't think they will rewrite a significant portion of Splatoon 2's code to change the online to servers (not to mention servers also have problems), so... Not much will change. Oh well, $20 is definitely not that expensive.

Knowing Nintendo, when they announced paid online, I expected $50/month or something.
Sony's (and Microsoft's) pricing is just obscene by the time they keep raising it. I stopped paying after the last rate hike. The price is all about subsidizing other people's free games. I don't download them, so it's just me buying games for other people. Blech. Sony's online....I don't know, their PSN download speeds are pretty abysmal. I haven't really played much online on Sony, so I don't know how their online works, but last I checked it's the same P2P that Splatoon is at least for Sony 1st party games.....so same service for triple the price, and arguably worse downloads... I haven't dealt with XBox in a while, but I do recall them having decent online.

I'm skeptical about the dedicated servers as well though. The rumor was from a credible source, but yet it doesn't make any sense to me that they'd go through the expense of running dedicated servers. I'm assuming it won't happen, but if they did, not only would Splatoon be a LOT better, but it would be amusing to see them trounce Sony/MS at their own game for a fraction of the price.... And I also can't imagine what's causing the endless delays in the paid service unless they were adding a lot of infrastructure. It would be a shock move, but the concept isn't baseless.

As for Splatoon, I can't imagine they'd need to rewrite anything. More to the point, any netcode required to support client-server versus P2P would probably already be in the executable considering the dedicated servers (if they were ever actually planned) were supposed to be up and running by the time the game initially went gold, not 6 months later. Best I can tell, the game clusters the lobby into 4 client-server pairs (thus one DC often takes another down with them and full DC usually leaves you with one other "player".) I'm not sure how it coordinates the 4 mini-servers, whether one acts as the coordination server, or they all just sync, or if some of that's on Nintendo's end already to coordinate them. With LAN play already present in Splatoon 2, the netcode underneath is already very different from S1...even if right now they're falling back on the old design.

TL;DR; Yeah you're probably right, they're probably not doing dedicated servers :P But the possibility does exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom